Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy Alcott to be lead presenter on Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Graham Bell is moving his TV appearances from skis to ice skates this season as he is taking part in Dancing on Ice. Chemmy Alcott is stepping up to take his place as lead presenter along with Ed Leigh: https://www.facebook.com/203613006331217/posts/5096372417055227/

I guess Chemmy will be doing the skier point of view camera videos of the downhill courses that Graham normally does.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good move.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ice skating??? Splitter!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frustrating if those lot get to go skiing and the rest of us can't for silly reasons. Personally I won't be watching any skiing on the telebox if i can't partake myself, it's just too painful!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will enjoy this. Might be the only chance I get rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James77 wrote:
Frustrating if those lot get to go skiing and the rest of us can't for silly reasons. Personally I won't be watching any skiing on the telebox if i can't partake myself, it's just too painful!

It's a tricky one.

Chance are I'll never be able to play golf at Augusta, yet every year I tune in to watch the masters...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
James77 wrote:

It's a tricky one.

Chance are I'll never be able to play golf at Augusta, yet every year I tune in to watch the masters...

Fantastic comment and of course you're absolutely right.

I've always preferred to be involved in a sport rather than spectate perhaps that is the difference. I need to ski (or Snowboard mainly in my case) as I absolutely love it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
C A, once gave me a come and get me smile on a bus in val D, when she’d witnessed me separating a child with malmut and wandering Alsatian. The guy next to me thought she was looking at him, but from years of experience I knew. Right back when Kim Wld was making a play at me when she was in Shaftesbury ave in the play Tommy and I was a carer for her number one fan. RAy in a wheely second gen African. I was 21 she was a splendiforous and requiring good genes imparted. But I’m faithful and gallant as needed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What about the guy from the dark side?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Well Ed is the best presenter they have. Graham and Chemmy were aways a bit cringeworthy IMO but Ed is more natural and I don't have to hide behind the sofa to watch him. If you remember the Graham and Chemmy car crash piece about Brexit you'll know what I'm saying.

I can't imagine Chemmy is in fact 'lead presenter' as she describes herself - I would think more likely she is co-presenter with Ed but wanting to appear as the top jockey.

Always thought having three presenters was mad when Mr Vine managed it better all by himself. So was Graham pushed into the oblivion of D list celebrity dancing or did he make the move? I think the former. Probably no course runs this season.

Hard to see how the program will run - are they going to be inside the bubble with all the athletes and crew or are they going to do it remotely?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
Ice skating??? Splitter!

He'll still be on 2 planks. Don't think they've invented the mono-skate yet Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I liked Graham’s preliminary runs with commentary down the course - interesting in their own right, and aided understanding of what the racers did.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pruman, think that having two presenters to represent ski/board makes sense...but I'm not the biggest fan of Chemmy's presenting style so hopefully Graham will be back when he's stopped poncing about on skates.

Show will be largely similar, just with the spaces between people we see on all other sporting stuff at the minute...or rather, a rough attempt at a space and a microphone on a stick.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was staying in a chalet in St Anton once during World cup race week (cancelled, too little then too much snow), Ron "Borris" Duncan`s GF was staying in the chalet.
Borris was at dinner most days and both Bell brothers made appearances during the week.

Some interesting gossip was heard over the week.

Finding a pair of 220ish race skis with derby flex mounts tucked behind the front door was novel as well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its been pretty clear that Chem was going to the Heir Apparent for when Ol'Man Bell went off to a farm upstate to pursue other projects. When you listen to him on the Ski Podcast from a couple of months ago, it sounded like he was a bit short on opportunities to fill the day with with the lockdown and was itching for something to do.

Good luck to him, but he's up against some stiff competition - Bez, Baga Chipz and whatever Dr Alex is, are all mooted to be in the running (sliding?). I predict a week 3 play-off exit against Myleene Klass.
snow conditions
The thought just occurred to me that for the new season of Ski Sunday the intro where Graham Bell and Ed Leigh (apparently) jump from a helicopter into deep powder and then start descending the mountain will probably need to be replaced with something featuring Chemmy and Ed instead. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
"..I predict a week 3 play-off exit against Myleene Klass…"

I'm looking forward to the 'Shower/Bikini' scene --- Oh, wait ; wrong programme.....
snow conditions
James77 wrote:
swskier wrote:
James77 wrote:

It's a tricky one.

Fantastic comment and of course you're absolutely right.

I've always preferred to be involved in a sport rather than spectate perhaps that is the difference. I need to ski (or Snowboard mainly in my case) as I absolutely love it.

Similar, i'll watch the races, but not as avidly as the previous season if I can't get skiing myself.
ski holidays
There must be uncertainty about whether there will be a World Cup this season or the holiday hosting he does so I expect GB has decided to get guaranteed income from elsewhere this year. Also don’t forget he's in his mid-50s so will need to think about moving on from skiing downhill courses sooner rather than later. NehNeh
snow report
Is this more evidence for those convinced that the BBC is now pursuing an equality agenda? Remove a grey middle aged man and replace him by someone from an under-represented group? wink
snow report
When the programme was renamed (I think) Ski Sunday High Altitude it transformed it into an exhilarating rush for viewers and no doubt did snow sports the power of good. If I recall it was canned and moved back to the traditional antiquated format of downhill after downhill which no-one could really empathise with as it was too 'laddish'? Now we are more gender neutral with the lovely Chemmy I'd welcome a move back to an exhilarating format rather than the stuffy ground hog day that I turn off after 10 minutes.
latest report
@James77, Ski Sunday and High Altitude were different programmes. albeit with the same presenters.
ski holidays
@James77, Nah. HA was a completely separate entity from SS. HA got canned because a couple of episodes got quite dangerous, and they couldn't get the format to align with keeping people safe for the money they had to spend; so rather than some limp offering, they dropped it and put some of the elements back into making SS more of a magazine programme.

Bell clearly wants to do more things with his time, and if he isn't committing to SS, who other than Alcott would fit the bill at the moment? There are 3 people who could probably do it, and Chemmy is the only one who has ever done any presenting.

If it was Ed who had gone, they'd have probably go with Jenny Jones as she is the name people know.
snow report
GB was probably left wondering whether SS had any life left in it under current circumstances, so when ITV [edit: Embarassed] offered him twice the money for a higher profile slot which might lead to other work, I really can't understand why he took it...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 29-09-20 10:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, I really like Jenny but she's not quite as natural in front of the camera as Chemmy.
Such a good gig, being carted around ski destinations for free no doubt enjoying lots of free skiing and hospitality (if there is such a thing these days).
latest report
Important to study the communications in the raw - at face value - here.

They began last Saturday, with an ITV statement:
https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/skier-graham-bell-and-athlete-colin-jackson-cbe-became-seventh-and-eighth-celebrities
So, was Graham Bell effectively 'poached' by the ITV from the BBC? He's a free agent, obviously, and I guess there's nothing to stop him popping up on Ski Sunday from time to time to do features.

They continued on Sunday, perhaps as a result of the ITV statement, with a personal posting from Chemmy Alcott on Facebook:
Quote:

BIG NEWS......
For me anyhow!
It’s 1988 on a rainy sunday afternoon just outside London. The fire is crackling. My two bigger brothers, my mother and I squeeze onto the sofa. My father Tim sits on the comfy tv chair reserved always for him.
It’s the only time in the week that we stop, sit and chill together. Brought together through our love of ski racing.
‘Pop Looks Bach’ (music so synonymous it has been opening the show for over 40 years) blasts out from the big square TV. The voice of skiing, David Vine, follows as we sink further into the sofa settling ourselves for the next hour or so.
Despite all wanting to be ski racers we are thrilled by the crashes. With my mother continually reiterating, they would only show the falls where the skiers walk away...I am sure that isn’t true...but at that young age you hear what you want to hear!
Ski sunday is iconic. A show so popular that it has stood the test of time (over 40 years now on the BBC)
As a kid I was a huge fan of the show.
As a racer it was a complete honour to be interviewed first by Hazel and later by Graham.
In retirement to have a junior hosting role and help share my passion and interviews from the women’s World Cup tour was amazing.
So now, 6 years later, to have been asked to step up and be the lead presenter next to the incredibly talented and passionate Ed Leigh is an absolute dream.
I have big boots to fill this season. Whilst Graham swaps his boots for skates, it is Ed and I’s job to keep this winter alive. A winter that will be a fight and struggle for us all - for skiers, snowboarders, competitors and holiday goers, those working abroad in the snowsport industry- for everyone who pines for snow. It is a challenge I hope to rise to.
I live for the mountains.
I live for ski racing. Both as a presenter and a coach.
I hope fans of the show will follow us this winter as we endeavour to bring you all the action, thrills, spills and all round magic from the mountains.

Interestingly, Chemmy's since edited a rather important part of that posting to read ...

Quote:
So now, 6 years later, to have been asked to step up and be a lead presenter next to the incredibly talented and passionate Ed Leigh is an absolute dream.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3431441323568750&id=119779448068304

In due course I guess we'll see a BBC release trailing the upcoming Ski Sunday series ... when we'll see what job titles they give Chemmy and Ed!

In the meantime ... the SCGB should also look to edit its news on this ...

Quote:
Congrats to our Honorary President on becoming the lead presenter of Ski Sunday! We can’t wait for it to be back on our screens!

https://www.facebook.com/TheSkiClub/posts/10159171553858109

... because it's somewhat disrespectful to Ed Leigh ... assuming that Chemmy's correct and that he's continuing on the show.

We've not heard from Ed either, as things stand.

[end of non-rant]
ski holidays
@James77, I'd say the reverse, I find Chemmy rather wooden in front of the camera (but getting better), while when Jones interviews people, she seems less stilted and more relaxed.

Bell has talked about the SS winter circuit and its actually a pretty punishing schedule, particularly if you've got a family.
snow report
It's only one season. He'll be back next year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chemmy comes across as very genuine and passionate about skiing. I’m sure with experience, she’ll continue to improve as a presenter. Her IG feed is good value. Ed is a very nice guy and talented broadcaster. He used to live in Verbier (and sold me a 2nd hand powder board!) but returned with his family to New Zealand, mainly for his kids schooling as I understand it, so not sure it’s such a walk in the park for him being in the Alps for months.
snow report
@James77, really?! That's not how I see it at all. Jenny seems far more comfortable interviewing people (the Audi Nines piece a while back, the piece with the double amputee fella and the Terje Haakonsen pieces stick out. Chemmy seems quite wooden to me and only comfortable when talking to mates she was on the tour with, even then she fawns all over them
snow report
halfhand wrote:
It's only one season. He'll be back next year.

That's my thoughts, it's not like ITV have poached him, just a production company (who sells their show to ITV) is paying him some big money to do a season show. No different to all the BBC people who do the other celebrity b*****ks each year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-09-20 10:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Yeah I found that a bit wooden personally Jenny is a bit monotone. Chemmy's voice changes in pitch and I find more engaging.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Well Ed is the best presenter they have. Graham and Chemmy were aways a bit cringeworthy IMO but Ed is more natural and I don't have to hide behind the sofa to watch him. If you remember the Graham and Chemmy car crash piece about Brexit you'll know what I'm saying.

I can't imagine Chemmy is in fact 'lead presenter' as she describes herself - I would think more likely she is co-presenter with Ed but wanting to appear as the top jockey.

Always thought having three presenters was mad when Mr Vine managed it better all by himself. So was Graham pushed into the oblivion of D list celebrity dancing or did he make the move? I think the former. Probably no course runs this season.

Hard to see how the program will run - are they going to be inside the bubble with all the athletes and crew or are they going to do it remotely?

ITV4 managed tour de france coverage. Assume they will have to be in a bubble all saeson though!
ski holidays
Quote:

I can't imagine Chemmy is in fact 'lead presenter' as she describes herself

I think it would be reasonable to say she will be lead presenter for the skiing segments both recreational and racing, whilst Ed will be lead presenter for the boring (I mean boarding) segments Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@halfhand, At least Ed has won something. Toofy Grin
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@halfhand, At least Ed has won something. Toofy Grin

True but irrelevant Toofy Grin
ski holidays
...............and she looks better in a hot tub Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

the boring (I mean boarding) segments

Laughing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
...............and she looks better in a hot tub Laughing

And, tbf, out of a hot tub Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
Is this more evidence for those convinced that the BBC is now pursuing an equality agenda? Remove a grey middle aged man and replace him by someone from an under-represented group? wink

Is middle class surrey under represented?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy