Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

8000 and a Recon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from VT and the conditions were warm temps and overnight dustings.

Went to a few shops and could only find an Apache Recon in 174. I thought this too short but for a first day, thought I would give it a try as I wasn't sure what it was like up top. I'm just over 6ft and 13st

The Recon is a good turney ski with a good stable ride in the melting snow. I took it up top and skied chopped up stuff and sugar and it was ok there. It could get knocked about in deeper more difficult snow and the tips dived a few times which caught me out. This was the lack of lenght for my height and weight I felt, more than the ski itself. I needed this in 181.

In keeping with the spirit of the EOSB race I kept these for the gates and they did ok. It wasn't on to chop and change and besides there was a snowfall overnight and I was being dragged off by Snowcrazy so thouight I'd stay on these. Very good conditions up high and only in any sort of bother in deep sugar which, again was down to the lenght. Vowed to swap for longer skis if I could find them

Went looking for the 8800 but could not find it in any shops so had to settle for the 8000 in 184. The conditions were slighty colder and we had breakable crust before the snow softened up. The previous day's softer snow was begging for a ski that could barge through the gunk better than Recons so the thinking was for a ski that could plough through stuff. The B3 might have been a good option here as well but did'nt get round to it.

The 8000 is a nimble enough all-rounder and did ok but I felt the 8800 would have been more suited.
The vis' was poor so sometimes the skiing was more defensive that you would want but the 8000 will not let you down.

I would liked to have tried the 181 Recon against the 184 8000 and I think the comparison would have been interesting. The Recon is a more direct turning skier with good float, better feedback and all round capabilities in the conditions as above. If skied short they will tip dive - which is understandable.
The 8000 also suits a harder snow than the melting stuff we had in the afternoons and can be quite comfy. I think is is a ski that will not overawe a less experienced skier, is more forgiving and ploughs straight on with no histrionics. The Recon gives more feedback and is a more fun ski.

If I knew then what I know now I would have picked the Recon in 181 over the 8000 for the conditions we had, given the choice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recon
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I absolutely hated the Legend 8800 when I tried it on the test day, I couldn't get on with it at all.

For me, the best off piste skis of the week had to be the ninthwards (not sure what model, wonder whether they were the Rory Silva Pros?), something around 110mm underfoot, and pretty good in the slush as well.

I didn't think much of the Zag Slaps, a similar fat ski, quite liked the trouble makers, also the public enemies. I thought that the Head Monster 85 (this years model) was pretty good as well. All of these were around 180 and up, so I guess that when it comes to replacing my B2s I shall be going bigger and fatter. (As the actress said to the bishop Very Happy )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, it's a shame you couldn't find the 8800s - they had some in 188 as part of the Fallline test. As Kramer said, he hated them, but I absolutely loved them. I'd say your suspicion that they would work better than the 8000s in the breakable crud is 100% correct - while I only tried them in the morning, I did go looking for softening crud that my poles would punch through fairly easily and they were wonderfully stable and secure. The 8000s still do a fine job (and as the week went on I worked out more and more how to ski that crud in them), but the 8800s made it an absolute doddle - and was easily the best/easiest of the three I tried. Doubt I'd really want to take them down a slalom course though.

I think all Kramer needs to do is to learn how to turn a ski Very Happy Very Happy

BTW it's interesting that Kramer liked the Troublemakers, but dbiggins gave them about 0/10 at a stretch. Didn't manage to try them myself.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN,
I think the Recon in 181 would be a fine ski all round but the Outlaw might be even better as its 88 underfoot I think.
In the conditions we had which ranged from breakable crust to sugar a big ski would be abig help. I was not so knocked out with the 8000's this time round. They did everything ok but I wanted just a little more. I'm not sure if it was the ski or me that was disinterested on the day...!! I certainly had a few blasts on the Recons though.

On this season's evidence, I'd be looking at the Santiago, 8800 and the Outlaw, I reckon. Couldn't find the Karma's
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
On this season's evidence, I'd be looking at the Santiago, 8800 and the Outlaw, I reckon. Couldn't find the Karma's

JT, I'd recommend demo'ing Atomic's new Snoop Daddy. It's getting great reviews on epic & with edge hold being reported as especially good. The two options for you would be the 174cm (125-88-111, 20.5m) or the 185cm (127-88-113, 22m).

And it's orange & black wink.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon,

Not come across them but I'll keep an eye out for reviews over here. thanks

Not sure about the orangey colour tho' Shocked wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, - Any review on poles used...? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon,
Quote:

I'd recommend demo'ing Atomic's new Snoop Daddy.

I demo'd this in the ski test in Verbier on Sunday and couldn't get on with it. Very slow edge to edge yet not quite fat enough. They also seemed to make a funny shissing noise, but that might just be the snow!
Quote:

And it's orange & black

The ones I had were a sort of fake wood top sheet that looked quite tasty, but didn't look like the 8800.
JT,
Quote:

I'd be looking at the Santiago

Biggest selling ski in Verbier this winter. A dream to ski, but next season's has a very boring top sheet, if those sorts of things concern you wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC,

No reviews of poles...... you'll have to run that by me again...

Next year we can get the axes sharpened and go looking for Snowcrazy.... Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Sparks,

Not a problem if the ski is the same
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Sparks, JT, Everyone knows that colour and top sheet design make all the difference to performance Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC, you wouldn't be confusing JT with me there would you? I guess that incident proved the point Phillipe was making (was great fun until the slope dropped away from me a bit sharpish though).

JT, one of the guides in La Grave this year was skiing on Outlaws and seemed to be doing pretty well Wink . Didn't look a particularly light ski though (a disincentive for uphill stuff). After skiing the 8800 though I'd certainly check out things around the 90mm mark when changing ski. However, one disincentive for me going to a fatter ski is that I'd need to get new skins as well, which puts up the price by another £100.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN,

Yep, follow the line of thought completely and skins are a factor for you.

All I'm saying is that giving that I might have to have a shortlist then the Outlaw would be on them given the performance of the Recon. Subject to the snow, of course.

Hope to catch up with you next year in some deep dale.... Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN, Mrs Ski has just had her touring bindings moved onto her Phat Luvs -- which meant new skins and crampons. She hugely prefers skiing on the the 'Luvs compared to the Altitrails she had before... and the cost of new skins is only about 4 days worth of lift tickets.

Certainly my Intuitiv Bigs (=8800 ?) feel WAY to heavy to tour on, and the Recons I skied in LG felt heavier......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy