Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK visitors to Switzerland must quarantine on arrival from 28 September

Poster: A snowHead
Swiss Embassy in London is reporting that visitors to Switzerland from the UK will be required to quarantine on their arrival in Switzerland for 10 days, starting from 28 September.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/london
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar, yep, telford_mike had already reported it in the "Is the 2020/2021 a non starter?" thread and the Jungfrau ski region pt.2 thread but it is a good idea to specifically draw people's attention to this in a stand-alone thread. Sadly unless the UK manages to get the infection rates down (currently rising of course) by the start of the ski season allowing Switzerland to remove the quarantine requirements I can't see many UK skiers visiting Switzerland this season. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear, thanks for sharing, we’ve a few months to get house in order here in the UK I suppose but this is really disappointing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tit for tat. Anyone entering UK from Switzerland currently has to quarantine for 14 days. No surprise that restrictions reciprocated.

I presume this will affect anyone flying into Geneva? In which case alpine season over before it has begun for most UK holidaymakers.

European governments should just ban leisure travel until covid crisis over. At least people (and travel industry) would then know where they stand. The self policied quarantine rules are worst of both worlds.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
I can't see many UK skiers visiting Switzerland this season. Sad

Well no, the 2 week quarantine would be in force for going there AND coming back. Somewhat inconvenient!

So currently, only Italy looks like a goer (unless you are happy to quarantine) but I suspect that'll change. However, evidence suggests only about 25% of people who should be quarantining, actually are. It's kind of a vicious circle of ignoramuses hell bent on giving us a never ending virus.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Haggis_Trap, it is not a.tit for tat. I agree with a lot of what you post but this is different.

I've been arranging alternative travel to Zurich because they locked down from many places in France and I suspected that they would do the same from the UK.

I'll go to France and a colleague is going to Zurich.

This has been on the cards for a week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Haggis_Trap, there has been a quarantine from Switzerland for ages. I'm taking my wife to her.mums (medical social bubble) so I'll quarantine at home after my trip to the hospital in France (working for 2 days there) but planned the same from Switzerland.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ fair point : "tit for tat" not the correct term.
however given arrivals in UK from CH had to quarantine for 14-days its not surprising the Swiss ask UK visitors to do the same.
looks like international travel is going to remain uncertain / changeable until at least March 2021 (... when I am hoping solution in form of vaccine will be in sight).

basically we all need to chill at home until this passes...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, exactly. I'm not booking my flights to Nantes until the last minute just in case.

All hotels booked as a fully refundable etc etc.

I think everything is just play it by ear for the next few months.

The only thing I have booked is the BB and flights.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
there is an exemption if you are simply transiting through the country. So you can fly into Geneva and then drive into neighboring countries depending on their rules.

"persons who enter Switzerland for the purpose of transiting the country and who intend and are able to travel on directly to another country;"

is one of the exemptions set out in Swiss Corvid law :-

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20201948/index.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there are still 14 weeks before Feb half term , so transmission rates will be under control and in decline within 4-6 weeks , back to low levels within 8 weeks and restrictions /quarantines across EU lifted within 10-12 weeks
stop talking yourselves into blind panic . if the above doesn't work out as i have guessed ( i like most people on here have absolutely zero knowledge of how pandemics spread/cam be controlled ) then just deal with the set of circumstances that are in front of you 2 weeks before you travel .
enjoy the optimism that your holiday might still very probably go ahead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pateman99 wrote:
there is an exemption if you are simply transiting through the country. So you can fly into Geneva and then drive into neighboring countries depending on their rules.

"persons who enter Switzerland for the purpose of transiting the country and who intend and are able to travel on directly to another country;"

is one of the exemptions set out in Swiss Corvid law :-

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20201948/index.html

Excellent, so as it stands the Arlberg Express could still run from Zurich to Lech&St.Anton without the need to quarantine.

I guess we have to expect more changes and obstacles but for once the exemption is a good news story.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gwatts10 wrote:
there are still 14 weeks before Feb half term , so transmission rates will be under control and in decline within 4-6 weeks , back to low levels within 8 weeks and restrictions /quarantines across EU lifted within 10-12 weeks
stop talking yourselves into blind panic . if the above doesn't work out as i have guessed ( i like most people on here have absolutely zero knowledge of how pandemics spread/cam be controlled ) then just deal with the set of circumstances that are in front of you 2 weeks before you travel .

It’s more like 20 weeks til Feb half term, isn’t it? I’m (optimistically) expecting things to look different by xmas - UK government is going to have to find a solution to the quarantine issue, whether that’s testing or bilateral agreements or else there’ll be no airline industry left. The cynic in me says Cummings is making things as dreadful as possible (students not allowed home, “50k cases a day” etc) so they can unveil some relaxations later so we all love cuddly old Boris again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gwatts10 wrote:

I too have zero knowledge of how pandemics spread, but I have a fair idea how diseases (such as common cold or 'flu) spread amongst seasonnaires in a ski resort - quickly and widely, especially if the entry point into the seasonaire community is those working in child care.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So how will this week of people ski into Switzerland for an hour e.g. in the Portes de Soleil? I’m intrigued..,
latest report
Kenzie wrote:
gwatts10 wrote:

I too have zero knowledge of how pandemics spread, but I have a fair idea how diseases (such as common cold or 'flu) spread amongst seasonnaires in a ski resort - quickly and widely, especially if the entry point into the seasonaire community is those working in child care.

You certainly don’t have “zero knowledge of how pandemics spread”. More or less, depending on the nature of the beast, you have it spot on! Seasonnaires in a ski resort is a nice example to model ... add regular transfers in and out of resort then you can go global.
ski holidays
gwatts10 wrote:
...i like most people on here have absolutely zero knowledge of how pandemics spread/cam be controlled...

How is that possible after the coverage covid has had?
ski holidays
Perhaps they're covered under the law mentioned above by Alan1974: "persons who enter Switzerland for the purpose of transiting the country and who intend and are able to travel on directly to another country;" (albeit travelling on indirectly!) - either that or they'll just shut the border at the top of the lifts like they did on March 14th when we were ski-ing in PdS immediately before the big French shutdown Sad
snow report
@Loganberry, interesting. I did don’t know they shut the border.
ski holidays
@lynnecha - indeed - lots of the orange mesh fencing and possibly border guards to stop you turning the wrong way (my memory is a bit hazy) - can't remember if the swiss side lifts were even working, but another Snowhead will probably be able to confirm Smile We were warned as we got on to the Super Morzine, but it was still quite a shock... although not as much as when our hotel told us at 8pm that night that the French were closing everything down too with immediate effect.... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@Loganberry, I bet! We were in Colorado at the time and had about 12 hours notice that the resort was closing. Our travel agent, ski Independence, worked miracles and got us onto a flight back to Heathrow just as the UK-Denver flights were being discontinued. It was an experience to remember as I am sure it was for you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy