Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Webcam shows a light dusting
of snow almost down to VC level which lifts the spirits a bit!
More than a dusting now - the glacier looks very inviting.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Webcam shows a light dusting
of snow almost down to VC level which lifts the spirits a bit!
More than a dusting now - the glacier looks very inviting.

Beware of 'Tourist Office' snowfalls.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didnt realise the webcams were faked....really? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Beware of 'Tourist Office' snowfalls.

Quote:
Didnt realise the webcams were faked....really?

The same people were behind the moon landings apparently wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'Tourist Office snowfall' - seasonnaire slang for a light snowfall that makes the resort pretty & white (great for photos), but does nothing to improve the quality of the skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glacier opens to the public week tomorrow 8.30am to 3pm. French ski teams have been up there training this week.
Runs due to be open:- 3500, Glacier, Descente, Rimaye & Face.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 9-10-21 10:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Tourist Office snowfall' - seasonnaire slang for a light snowfall that makes the resort pretty & white (great for photos), but does nothing to improve the quality of the skiing.

I see! A joke - albeit one that would be understood by a very small minority of snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Tourist Office snowfall' - seasonnaire slang for a light snowfall that makes the resort pretty & white (great for photos), but does nothing to improve the quality of the skiing.

I see! A joke - albeit one that would be understood by a very small minority of snowHead

That's a large part of being a seasonnaire. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
That's a large part of being a seasonnaire
That and the skiing presumably Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
That's a large part of being a seasonnaire
That and the skiing presumably Laughing

You'd be amazed (or perhaps not) at how many seasonnaires don't get up the mountain that often.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
You'd be amazed (or perhaps not) at how many seasonnaires don't get up the mountain that often
Yer wot? Shocked I am beyond shocked! How, pray tell,
do they spend their days??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, when I went on a uni ski trip, one of the lads I skied with had done a season in Val D before going to uni. He said they got so lazy towards the end of the season, they'd look out the window in the morning, bluebird but with 1 cloud in the sky, and they'd decide the weather looked a bit iffy and not bother!

Having never done a season, it blows my mind that could be the case for some people!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
You'd be amazed (or perhaps not) at how many seasonnaires don't get up the mountain that often
Yer wot? Shocked I am beyond shocked! How, pray tell,
do they spend their days??

Recovering from the night before. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a mate that spent 4 months in Tignes with his wife one season - they were not working, just bumming about.

When we arrived in January, our other pal (who lives there permanently) said he hadnt seen him or his wife for 3 weeks, they had just gone bevvying every night and cba getting up to ski the next day Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
...said he hadnt seen him or his wife for 3 weeks, they had just gone bevvying every night and cba getting up to ski the next day
Ah! I see! Were they the couple that founded the sister website to this one? ie P1$$heads... Laughing
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Quick question. Most of my skiing in Tignes has been in Jan or early Feb when its usually colder than a witches tit.

Been once in March, but cant quite remember what the weather was like (was definitely longer sunnier days) and what different or lighter gear I should be taking (we go in March next year).

Might seem a daft Q, but usually most of my late season skiing is in Scotland so its still quite cold Very Happy
latest report
@GreenDay,
When in March?
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
@GreenDay,
When in March?

Yes, makes a diff of course - doh Very Happy

Think its early, 5th ish?
snow report
@GreenDay, generally the sun is stronger in March and higher in the sky, but equally you can still get very cold snowy spells, albeit not likely to be as cold or as prolonged a cold spell as in Jan. I'd generally be ok with 2 layers and a light shell in March, but also carry a fleece to add, or take one layer off on the warmer days!
snow conditions
Just been looking at the webcams, there seems to be new buildings going up on the Tichots lift side of the road in Val Claret? Guess that knackers the view from the existing apartments & also seems to be taking a chunk of the car park? Apologies if this has been covered already.
ski holidays
OK, forget that, found the answer earlier in the thread. Must look more closely next time (and check the webcam before booking The Diva)
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@GreenDay,
When in March?

Your in luck - my birthday is that week, so of my 4 seasons in Tignes I had two bdays of cold mornings & warm afternoons under clear blue skies & two of heavy snow - skiing down Double M around noon in knee deep freshies as they'd only just opened it & got down it a few times before the (few) people out caught on - I think most people sacked the day off both times.
Does that answer your query?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@GreenDay, generally the sun is stronger in March and higher in the sky, but equally you can still get very cold snowy spells, albeit not likely to be as cold or as prolonged a cold spell as in Jan. I'd generally be ok with 2 layers and a light shell in March, but also carry a fleece to add, or take one layer off on the warmer days!

Thanks, that helps.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@GreenDay,
When in March?

Your in luck - my birthday is that week, so of my 4 seasons in Tignes I had two bdays of cold mornings & warm afternoons under clear blue skies & two of heavy snow - skiing down Double M around noon in knee deep freshies as they'd only just opened it & got down it a few times before the (few) people out caught on - I think most people sacked the day off both times.
Does that answer your query?

Aye, cheers - so basically layer up which is kinda what I thought. Many thanks (and have a good birthday when it comes !!)
snow conditions
@GreenDay, I think Kenzie has covered it! I was offline on the train.

Sadly it went terribly wrong on the Club Med building site today with a scaffolding failure. 1 dead, 1 seriously injured.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/tignes-un-ouvrier-meurt-sur-le-chantier-du-futur-club-med-1634033411
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Sadly it went terribly wrong on the Club Med building site today with a scaffolding failure. 1 dead, 1 seriously injured.
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/tignes-un-ouvrier-meurt-sur-le-chantier-du-futur-club-med-1634033411

That’s awful - it looked like a well-ordered and compliant workplace/site.
snow conditions
GM is open!!!! At last!
latest report
Ah, but is the chutney nearly done yet @chocksaway?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
GM is open!!!! At last!
Blue sky, cold, fresh snow and virtually deserted. What's not to like about autumn skiing? Very Happy
snow report
Tignes online ski pass purchases finally opened yesterday for the 2021/22 season: https://www.skipass-tignes.com/en/
Promo season pass available until 27 Nov.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Shouldnt you be kicking off a new thread for the new season?

Tut tut..........
ski holidays
@GreenDay, Can you wait till Monday?

Laptop is in my pad, I'm out in the wilds with a small phone. I suspect there will be a lot of checking to do......
snow report
Can anyone tell me the format of the pass number on the Tignes ski card? I understand that there are two different numbering systems across France (and beyond). I've got lots of ski passes from other resorts but can't find my Tignes ones and would like to reuse rather than buy yet more of them. If I've got the format, I should be able to work out which ski cards are compatible.... thanks!
snow conditions
Here's as good as anywhere I guess.
My Australian family will be heading somewhere in the Tarentaise at late March 2022 with a view of getting familiar with a largish ski hill as we intend to spend 7 weeks there December and January the next season. My French loving daughter will then do a working season the following year (she'll be 18 by then).
I understand this is the Tignes thread but all things considered which area would be most suitable for our needs. I guess we're not wedded to anywhere in particular as costs 'seem' to be pretty much the same between Les Arcs, La Plagne, and Tignes. I've not looked too hard at the 3 Valleys. We can all get around most ski hills but as we've never had any lessons we're probably not good skiers technically. We have done most of our skiing in the US and Canada and are comfortable skiing off the trails and in fresh snow.
Paradiski seems to have an advantage over Tignes given there seems to be more trees and hence better visibility on snow days. Would that assessment be correct?
Would supermarket food prices be the same in all areas?
The idea for the seven week break is to chill out so nightlife etc isn't important but a brew or two at the local pubs and the odd night out would be great.
Would all the resorts mentioned be equally as busy? To be honest we would take a diversion to Paris the new year week.
Which area might host Snowheads the most? Having someone to ski with is always nice.
Any help would be appreciated.
I'll put something similar in the Les Arcs thread too.
latest report
Hi @rachelharrisonsmith, I'm about to renew my Tignes pass and like you will use the same actual piece of plastic, the website offering the option to simply 'top it up' to make it valid to use this winter.

The Tignes plastic card has: 01-1614 2029 1648 1234 5678-9 but being a public forum, I have changed the last 9 digits...

The one from Val Cenis has: 01-1614 2029 1648 9876 5432-1 but being a public forum, I have changed the last 9 digits...

Hope that helps. From memory I think the plastic card has to be registered with the Tignes skipass website but let us all know how you get on. When, in the past, there has been a glitch and the pass has not worked on arrival, a brief visit to the STGM office sorted it out in a few moments.
snow report
Hmmm a lot to cover there @sbooker... I've skied extensively in both Tignes-Val-d'Isere and in Les Arcs-La Plagne, though skimped a bit in La Plagne as I had everything I wanted in Les Arcs. I'll try to go through your questions as methodically as I can.

Quote:
which area would be most suitable for our needs

You will have to decide depending on the feedback you get...! But given your self-assessment of skiing level bear in mind that the 'grading' of runs is a bit more mellow in Paradiski; T-VdI's pistes tend to be a little harder, steeper, for the same colour on the piste map.

Quote:
Paradiski seems to have an advantage over Tignes given there seems to be more trees and hence better visibility on snow days. Would that assessment be correct?

Broadly, yes. It was something I really missed when I moved from Les Arcs to Tignes. On stormy days, you can spend all day in the trees in Les Arcs. In Tignes, there is some tree skiing around Les Brevieres but the sector is very cliffy, so you have to learn your routes carefully. A little better in this respect in Val'dIsere, where lapping the La Daille bubble is a serious and really fun option on foggy/snowy days, whether on the piste or in the trees. You won't ski the same route twice if you don't want to. Another option for tree skiing is Le Fornet but these are a little denser and steeper.

Quote:
Would supermarket food prices be the same in all areas?

It's very much a classic case of paying a premium if shopping in the resort villages but more normal prices in the valley. So if this is a consideration, you could consider living in Bourg St Maurice - where you have at least three big and fairly-priced supermarkets - and riding up in the funicular to ski. It's a popular way to do it for seasonnaires and accomodation is much more affordable in BSM too.

Quote:
nightlife etc isn't important but a brew or two at the local pubs and the odd night out would be great

No shortage of places in any of the resort villages in either ski area save for the furthest outposts (eg Nancroix). A little quieter in that respect in BSM.

Quote:
Would all the resorts mentioned be equally as busy?

Ermm, yes, at peak times neither is pleasant. There is a separate thread on school holidays which is best to refer to, with a view to avoiding those dates if you can.

Quote:
Which area might host Snowheads the most?

I think it's finely balanced but possibly more head to Tignes, as I think the 'bash' gives folk a taster and they come back. Others may be better qualified to comment.

Hope that all helps. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with your choice, whichever way it goes. Nice dilemma to have!
ski holidays
Thanks for the detailed reply.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
We have done most of our skiing in the US and Canada and are comfortable skiing off the trails and in fresh snow.

Bear in mind that skiing "off the trails" in North America is very different to off-piste skiing in Europe. In North America there's typically an outer boundary of the ski area and some roped off areas inside that. Anything inside the boundary and not roped off is monitored for avalanche risk and is safe to ski. In Europe only the marked pistes are monitored for avalanche risk. If you want to ski anywhere else it's advisable to pay a qualified local guide to lead your group.
ski holidays
@sbooker,
An alternative on snow days is to try to get above the weather - sometimes you get lucky and ski in sunshine looking down on the clouds.
Re how busy the various areas are. The busiest times of year are the French half term (a moveable feast in February & March), followed by Christmas/New Year. Another factor is 'weekend warriors' - the closer to the big cities a resort is the more of these there are likely to be.
snow report
@sbooker, Perhaps not of interest but there is (supposedly) a very nice XC area just up from Les Arcs here - https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/winter/cross-country-skiing.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy