Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
chocksaway wrote:
@lynnecha, Yip, the Owners partnership opened today. Trouble is I need 11 weeks occupation to justify any parking or lift pass discount. I think this year may well be pay as I go!

We have decided to do the same. Unlikely we will get out before Christmas (have two weekend trips booked) and with next season likely still subject to quarantine rules I doubt we will get 20 days in.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Euronews report on the Covid-19 measures being taken at Tignes: https://www.euronews.com/2020/10/18/french-ski-season-begins-under-threat-of-covid-19
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, I didn't realise Stephie had been promoted to Director. Very popular round the village, normally preceded by her fab Huskie!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The thing that will really scupper it for us will be an inwards quarantine, as we have to quarantine on arrival in the UK and then again when we come back to the IOM. We just couldn't do a 14 days on arrival in France as well. The logistics will be too difficult for us.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get you Isle of Man passport out. Overrides any quarantine rules.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just seen on the Seasonnaire's page on Fbook that the curfew extends to Savoie from 9pm, six weeks minimum. Anyone heard anything?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, fuller discussion with links on France Covid Travel Restrictions thread
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All bars to close from tomorrow next door in 74 (H Savoie). Wonder how long it will be before it spreads to 73?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
All bars to close from tomorrow next door in 74 (H Savoie). Wonder how long it will be before it spreads to 73?

en.Tignes.net saying bars & clubs currently not allowed to open.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, didn't take long. Tignes App just burbled, bars shut at midnight tonight for 3 weeks. (Edit to no of weeks)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
... and Tignespace and Lagon now closed to public - “high-level athletes” can still have access
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nothing official from Val d’Isere or Radio Val d’Isere but one of the few restaurants open has advised you must be seated and ordered by 7:30. One bar has posted on Facebook they are closing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it restaurants as well as bars do we know?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mark1863,
Just bars
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well that is something I suppose. Thanks Stewart. See you in a few weeks hopefully. Booked in with Snoworks from first Monday of the winter season. Might stay out until Jan if its open. If the season happens it might well be great as the one week skiers will be absent - one must assume. So all the more room for skiing anoraks like myself.
snow report
Quote:
one week skiers will be absent - one must assume
Apparently Tignes was much busier than in a normal summer this year due to a big influx of French visitors....The same could happen in the winter - ie increased numbers of French visitors replacing the non-visiting Britons.
snow report
@mountainaddict, The numbers in Tignes i summer often depend on the temperatures down the valley. In a heatwave up they pop. A lot of activities are free in the summer, so it's a cheap hol. I understand a lot of the summer visitors came to their small family studios for some of the busy 8 weeks. Those families would normally come for 1 or 2 weeks In the winter and then rent out the apts to pay for their hols.
So the question is how many weeks can they afford to stay in winter? Studio life is not attractive if you can't go out.
I guess another threat to skiing will be how full the local hospitals are. Dozens of broken legs in Bourg might be difficult to manage, if current measures don't bring infection rates down.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

I guess another threat to skiing will be how full the local hospitals are. Dozens of broken legs in Bourg might be difficult to manage, if current measures don't bring infection rates down.

So no student trips this season? - usually a major source of broken bones, and now a potential source of covid19.
snow report
Just seen a message on the seaonaires network that says Gendarmes will be checking compliance with mask wearing on lifts and in queues, a buff is not acceptable. Not sure on the specification but I believe Tignes branded ones are available for purchase.
ski holidays
Quote:
Studio life is not attractive if you can't go out
We own the proverbial French rabbit hutch in Val Claret....and love staying in, even in normal times! Laughing Would love staying in even more if we can get there this winter rolling eyes
snow conditions
Just booked a night in Tignes tomorrow (we live in Cham) for an early season ski. Arrive tomorrow afternoon, ski Wednesday and drive back Wed night. Everything is a bit depressing at the minute so we're doing something fun with our days off! Hopefully the snow today and tomorrow will make for a good day Smile
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Just seen a message on the seaonaires network that says Gendarmes will be checking compliance with mask wearing on lifts and in queues, a buff is not acceptable. Not sure on the specification but I believe Tignes branded ones are available for purchase.

Just seen on instructors site the Gendarnes are inspecting tomorrow for oroper covid masks all round. If they're not happy, everything closes.... 52000 French cases today Sad
snow conditions
I've also seen the posts about checking mask wearing and virus procedures. I read it and thought being closed down seemed inevitable... from the way it was written (the mention of Italy and the mere fact they are doing it).

Like many I've held off buying my season pass as at present as I doubt I will get the break-even days of use out of it (this is approx 19 days). If it does open up to easy travel in and out of France+CH then I will buy short trip passes. I suspect that many will stay away for fear of the rules changing whilst they are in France and at present, with the infection rate in France climbing faster than ever, the threat of a second national lock down is very real. Having been there for the last one and been given 4 hours notice, this is a concern for me. I can't be alone thinking this and I wouldn't want to be the CFO of either lift company.
ski holidays
The FFS and clubs are offering buff style masks that seem to conform to some protection standard, would be interested to know if these will be enough to satisfy the Gendarmes.
snow report
rjs wrote:
The FFS and clubs are offering buff style masks that seem to conform to some protection standard, would be interested to know if these will be enough to satisfy the Gendarmes.

From past experience of the Gestapo I'm guessing 'No'.
ski holidays
Quote:

Might become a moot point after tomorrow evening rolling eyes
latest report
Well it was open today and plenty busy. Weather was foul unfortunately, blowing a hoolie with freezing rain. A flare up of plantar fasciitis meant I did 3 runs and came down the train feeling sorry for myself.

All in all, a day to forget. Just the 3hr drive home now!
snow report
Does anyone know what they're doing at L'Escalee Blanche? From the webcam in Le Lac it looks like they're building a sizeable extension on the front decking but it looks like somethings new going on below to the side too?

Always liked that restaurant and I thought they really looked after us well at the PSB last year - the 4 cheese pizza with added chorizo was so good I think I had that about 4 nights out of the 7! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Atomic_Mick, Last I heard, a sports shop is going in the basement fronting on to the road under the passarelle.
I understand that Vallon Blanc has been sold as a 'site' maybe to be linked to the Arbina to make a much bigger plot.
ski holidays
@Atomic_Mick, OTH i went for their regular dinner menu. Which included the warm unboiled rice dish that probably still lingers in my stomach. Plenty of sharp lessons to be learned here NehNeh
@chocksaway, I liked Le Vallon Blanc. Nicholas sent me an email mentioning:
"At the head of this store since 2004, taking over from my parents who have held it for over thirty years, I have decided to join forces with my close neighbor MOUNTAIN STORY to implement our shared vision of 'reception and trade in the resort.
The VALLON BLANC will therefore unveil upstairs this year a new CMP boutique, an Italian brand of clothing, shoes and accessories that we have been selling for several seasons already. And thanks to Mountain Story you will also be able to discover the Rossignol, Norrona, Quiksilver, Roxy collections ..."
I hope things will work out for him, personally I have a CMP jacket that looks and acts good.
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks for the info I hope they keep the restaurant part as it is. Do you reckon then that they'll then build out to the side of the Arbina and back to join up with the Vallon Blanc building? If so that makes sense as that bit of pavement between the 2 is wasted and I'm guessing any spare square footage in such a prime spot would be pretty sought after.
snow report
@drporat, Sorry to hear that - yes some of the dishes on the fixed menu were 'interesting' from memory but I thought they did a great job in the main getting so many SH's served and fed so efficiently and quickly - even when ordering ala carte the wait didn't seem very long.

It was very cosy in those 2 dining rooms very much like a giant chalet sitting - it's just made me realise and also made me very sad that it's going to a long time before we are going to be allowed to dine like that again.
ski holidays
@Atomic_Mick, That was the rumour. Seemingly there is a lot of Swiss money buying stuff in Tignes as Lac moves inexorably up the luxury scale.
latest report
@Atomic_Mick, I heard the burgers were fine as well. Next time* I'll definitely go a la carte....
*probably 14 months from now, judging from the news arriving from France Sad
The atmosphere and the alcohol were fine. I miss those bashes Shocked
snow report
Looks like France is heading back into lock-down starting midnight Thursday.
latest report
Yep... Sad

From Planetski:

The French President, Emmanuel Macron, has tonight announced a second national lockdown.

Travel will be banned between regions.
People will only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.
Non-essential businesses, such as restaurants and bars, will have to shut.
All social gatherings are banned.
The measures come into force on Friday.

The glacier ski resorts of Tignes and Les2Alpes in France are currently open and will need to close.

They opened under two weeks ago
ski holidays
Tignes glacier will close Friday until at least the 1st of December.

The Lockdown looks worse than earlier this year when you were only allowed out for 1 hr per day
ski holidays
And high winds have shut the glacier today, so no last day frenzy Sad
snow report
We’ve finally thrown in the towel and cancelled our flat. We were hanging on in vain hope but had a latest cancellation date of 1st Nov so we’ve sent notice. Sad, but realistic. Who knows- there may be some opportunities as the season goes on, but we won’t be spending the whole season in Tignes this year.

Lots to be thankful for so just focusing on that for now. Wishing everyone well.
ski holidays
@lynnecha, Hopefully we can have a mad dash over there in April with long afternoons on the terrace!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy