Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
bobski62 wrote:
Hi @anjunabeats, I plan to be in Tignes too, from November onwards, possibly even a little earlier. All assuming the travel situation permits and does not deteriorate. Will also be dipping into some Snoworks stuff. I have skied with them for the last few early seasons and they are a great bunch.

Pre-December it's generally glacier only. From start of December it would be highly exceptional if you could not also ski back to resort (Val Claret) on Double M. This faces directly north and is fully covered with snow making. So all that tends to vary is the proportion of natural to artificial snow in the blend. Normally, as Stewart says, links to Val d'Isere would be open from start of Dec, along with higher runs. Worst case you might have to download in a bubble/funi if staying that side.

Off piste, however, could be a bit more of a mixed bag. Over the aforementioned autumns, it has always been viable but I have tended to avoid doing much until later. When I have been tempted I've caught the odd 'growler' under my skis and scratched up the bases. You would want to ski with some accuracy.

You're welcome to catch up for a run or two if you want, between our various Snoworks courses.

Thanks Bob - have PM'd you.

That pretty much explains what I'd have thought re: snow making vs real snow too. Sounds like December is the time to go for me as well, as I could have probably made Nov happen at a push.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the past 9 years (excluding 2020 obvs) we have gone to Tignes for the 2 weeks before Christmas - usually going out around 6-8th Dec, and returning on Dec 23rd (leaves 24th free to do all the Christmas shopping). We're planning to go this winter too. Our experience is...

In every year we've been the main Tignes-ValD link (Toviere) is open in early Dec, but some of the extremities stay closed till the start of Christmas week. Fresse, Sache and the runs down to Boisses/Brev are examples of this. Stantons(Satans!) is often closed too. With Christmas being on a Saturday this year I don't know whether they'll open it all in the week starting 18th, or wait till closer to Christmas day.

Over on the ValDiz side, almost everything is usually open in the Solaise and Fornet sectors - we've only failed to make the Eidleweiss once, and that was due to poor snow cover below the cable car top station. But, and it's a big but, you need to watch out for the dates of the Downhill racing on Orange/Ok and the Slalom on Face (all up the Belvarde). For these events they usually close the pistes in the week before the event, and that tends to cut the area in half making it more difficult to quickly get between different areas. You can't go down Face, Stantons is often shut, so you have to go down the Green/Blue into La Daille and get the bus up to ValD, or go down in the Belvarde Gondola. The race prep on the bottom of Face also makes it quite 'exciting' for mere mortals once it does re-open. There are often "local" races to on the courses in the days before and after the FIS races.

However, despite all the above, we still can't wait to go every year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More useful info - thanks.

Sounds great - looks like there will likely be more than enough to stay entertained, and keen to try somewhere different from 3Vs as previously mentioned.

I’m also happy to return again to Tignes at some point when the season is in full swing next year, but I like to do a course and early season ski when I can.

Last time I did a course was in Cervinia in November and I liked it, but didn’t love the ski area quite as much as what I’ve enjoyed in France.

The problem with skiing in places like 3Vs and I’m sure EK too is that the skiing and lifts are so good that it spoils some other resorts.

I did some skiing in Park City Utah, and while the snow quality was great the slow chair lifts felt like 80s ex-European exports, and the terrain more like big hills than mountains! I’d still take anywhere with snow of course, but just saying!

Just need to remind myself that Dec 2019 was particularly good snow wise in the 3 Valleys - I’d stayed in Val Thorens to be snow sure, and yet Courchevel had even better snow quality and was mostly open (bar the runs down to le praz etc and some others).

Right now I suppose we should all simply hope that there is a season at all this year at all after last season!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've never been to Tignes, so how does it compare to the 3Vs?

Not sure you've had an answer to this bit @anjunabeats, so...

Courchevel is for the 'beautiful people'
Val d'Isere is for serious skiers
Tignes is for serious seasonnaire skiers
Boarders should head for Les Arcs...

I'm being tongue-in-cheek so happy for others to debate!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel is definitely a place to "be seen" but I always go to the 3Vs for the size and quality of skiing available, lift infrastructure and mileage it's possible to cover. The expensive restaurants are a bit of a pain! Orelle is fantastic too, and new lifts going in there soon I think. Not considered Les Arcs but a friend who went there seemed to like it.

I guess in another life I'd probably be a seasonnaire type, so looking forward to trying Tignes! Val D is perhaps where to buy the chalet post lottery win?!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@anjunabeats,

You will probably be shocked by the prices in Tignes, it's not 4euro for an expresso
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bargain compared with Val Disere!! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@anjunabeats,
If you are planning to return to the Espace latter in the season don't forget to check the price of a season pass v two separate passes, especially if their are discounts for buying before the season starts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just received a very enjoyable official email reminding me that we are D-100 from the opening of the Tignes - Val d'Isère ski area and D-58 for the opening of the glacier (hopefully)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
@anjunabeats,

You will probably be shocked by the prices in Tignes, it's not 4euro for an expresso

Although the machine in the cafe near the bottom of the Borsat is dead cheap !!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GreenDay wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
@anjunabeats,

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman!

Quite how the Marmottes and it's stablemate, Cascades, in Fornet, are still allowed to undercut the Val mafia never fails to amaze.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 20-08-21 11:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
@anjunabeats,

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman!

Quite how the Marmottes and it's stablemate, Cascades, in Former, are still allowed to undercut the Val mafia never fails to amaze.

I would also say that the quality of the food on offer is very decent for the cash (scotsman in me coming out !).

I also like the serve yourself beer taps that confuse first timers Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, posted this same thing to "The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy" thread and got recommendation to post it here too. I could use some advice about Val D'Isere and Tignes. As we couldn't ski last season, we hope to start this one as early as possible. Usually we come to Alps for one week in spring, but this time we hope to make two trips. We are considering Val D'Isere from the opening week, from 27.11 to 04.12 or the next week from 04.12 to 11.12. Is there big difference between those choices? How much area has been usually open from the first week? Are the links open to Tignes or should we stay in Tignes instead of Val D'Isere? And any other info we should be aware of would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaupo wrote:
Hi, posted this same thing to "The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy" thread and got recommendation to post it here too. I could use some advice about Val D'Isere and Tignes. As we couldn't ski last season, we hope to start this one as early as possible. Usually we come to Alps for one week in spring, but this time we hope to make two trips. We are considering Val D'Isere from the opening week, from 27.11 to 04.12 or the next week from 04.12 to 11.12. Is there big difference between those choices? How much area has been usually open from the first week? Are the links open to Tignes or should we stay in Tignes instead of Val D'Isere? And any other info we should be aware of would be appreciated.

well, why not have a look at the pre season bash in the snowEvents calender, it could be the answer to your question!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155471
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As both weeks are early season you should have the pick. But check when the Premiere Neige ski racing is in Val, it can make getting back to resort for intermediates problematic as the racing takes primacy over punters.

The links are normally open, for years Tignes was the sure bet as it's highr for snow. Then 3 years ago that was kind of reversed as the snowline was at 2400m. As Val had just installed gondolas out of the village, more was open there as Tignes is mostly chairlifts. That may of course be the only season that happens.
snow report
A few mates have done the odd week out towards the end of the Summer season. Looks like dishwashers don't like 18 months without running (I'm sure there's a joke in there about chalet girls wink ).

Building continues apace in all quarters, and there is some reshaping of the lower part of Carline piste, maybe to get folk back to the new Club Med.

Property prices have gone bonkers, stuff is barely getting to the agents window before being snapped up without a viewing. A 35m 1 bed is now about a quarter of a mill!

Oh, and the rumour mill suggests the 'metal spider web' on the facade of the Phoenix development in the Palafour building is to be removed at the cost of 15k to each flat owner, but no one seems to know why!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
A few mates have done the odd week out towards the end of the Summer season. Looks like dishwashers don't like 18 months without running (I'm sure there's a joke in there about chalet girls wink ).

Building continues apace in all quarters, and there is some reshaping of the lower part of Carline piste, maybe to get folk back to the new Club Med.

Property prices have gone bonkers, stuff is barely getting to the agents window before being snapped up without a viewing. A 35m 1 bed is now about a quarter of a mill!

Oh, and the rumour mill suggests the 'metal spider web' on the facade of the Phoenix development in the Palafour building is to be removed at the cost of 15k to each flat owner, but no one seems to know why!

Its what attracted me to rent there in the first place....................
ski holidays
So, the new ClubMed build is enormous taking up the top end of the Grande Motte parking and almost all of the tennis courts, extending from the Platieres pedestrian elevator and finishing at the feet of the Tichot chair. STGM signage suggests the Tichot chair will be replaced by a telecabine (artist’s impression looks like an 8/10 man).

On the plus side the Snowtubing pitch is not affected, phew

latest report
@Kaupo,
Quote:

We are considering Val D'Isere from the opening week, from 27.11 to 04.12 or the next week from 04.12 to 11.12. Is there big difference between those choices?

@chocksaway,
Quote:

As both weeks are early season you should have the pick. But check when the Premiere Neige ski racing is in Val, it can make getting back to resort for intermediates problematic as the racing takes primacy over punters.

2021 Premier Neige week is planned for 10-18 December. It would impact a little on your option for the later week (back half of 04.12-11.12). Last time I was there Premier Neige week, about 3 years ago, it had some effect on access to the La Daille sector pistes, which is a useful way down to the valley on the Val D'Isere side. Obviously the main race pistes, OK and Face de Bellevarde, were closed for pre race preparation. The Face is often not in the most tempting condition, in my opinion, so early in the season anyway. Overall the race week made little difference to recreational skiers.

My instinct and experience points to a Tignes base in the later week as your best option @Kaupo,
ski holidays
@Grinning,
Quote:

So, the new ClubMed build is enormous taking up the top end of the Grande Motte parking and almost all of the tennis courts, extending from the Platieres pedestrian elevator and finishing at the feet of the Tichot chair. STGM signage suggests the Tichot chair will be replaced by a telecabine (artist’s impression looks like an 8/10 man).

Thanks for the pics and info.
Oh dear, what a monstrosity. rolling eyes Still going to replace parking spaces too.
They paved paradise, put up a parking lot.
ski holidays
Shame, i prefer a chair lift to gondola.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
They paved paradise, put up a parking lot.
Laughing Laughing Laughing and spot on!
The concrete will all be clad in trad timber and that side of the road will probably end up looking nicer than this side so the eyesore factor won’t be there but the additional people. Anyone know how many more beds this Club Med will have compared to the old one it replaces. The new one is being billed as a “resort” and it looks big enough in its own right!
latest report
Er...wasn't it already a parking lot?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
Er...wasn't it already a parking lot?

Yes, one that got a lot of use in the summer and autumn.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, yes, but they didn’t ‘put it up’. It was open flat land. They’re putting up a multi storey parking lot to replace it. Still, that’s progress. Smile
snow report
I am trying to book parking in Tignes for December but the parking website says "closed".

Does anyone know when they are open for bookings?

Thank you
snow report
@richjp, I would try again mid October.
snow report
Hi!

We're considering a trip to Tignes at the start of the season (if covid allows) 12-19th December or thereabouts. We've found a pretty nice looking chalet in Les Brevieres that we're about ready to book but I've got a couple of concerns before going ahead with it:

We've got a very mixed group of abilities from almost complete beginner to advanced (all adults), are our beginners going to have easy access to lessons/easy runs from here?

It looks a little bit remote, are we going to be losing a lot of time each morning getting up to the slopes?

I think I'm right in saying that the runs back to the village will likely be closed that week? Not necessarily a problem I suppose.

Anything else we should know about TLB? Anywhere else in Tignes that would be better?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@xRob, Firstly, it's not a place for beginners in December IMHO as it gets very little sun and you have Hobsons choice on ski schools, ESF. There are separate beginners slopes but as it is at one end of the resort it will be limiting if partners want to get back to thd newbies for lunch.

As to whether the slopes will be open and the lifts, it's a toss up. Normally, they open on a Sat in the mid teens, but no date is published.

I would have thought there would be good deals much higher up for that low peak week.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@xRob, Firstly, it's not a place for beginners in December IMHO as it gets very little sun and you have Hobsons choice on ski schools, ESF. There are separate beginners slopes but as it is at one end of the resort it will be limiting if partners want to get back to thd newbies for lunch.

As to whether the slopes will be open and the lifts, it's a toss up. Normally, they open on a Sat in the mid teens, but no date is published.

I would have thought there would be good deals much higher up for that low peak week.

Completely agree - and was about to post something similar.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

Thanks very much for that, maybe back to the drawing board then!

Where in Tignes (or val d'isere/val thorens) would you recommend that would be a bit more beginner friendly? Having a lot of difficulty finding something because we ideally want a catered chalet and there doesn't seem to be a lot of options (I'm not bothered personally but a couple of others in the group really want this).
ski holidays
@xRob, Lac is a good spot for all abilities, all the major ski schools leave and arrive at the same point (basically in the middle opposite Maison de Tignes on the webcams), its also simple for experienced people to do their own thing and hit a few areas easily, zoom around and get back to meet the beginners for a fat lunch avec vin rouge !

Val Claret also, but if it were me I would go for Lac every time.
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
@xRob, Lac is a good spot for all abilities, all the major ski schools leave and arrive at the same point (basically in the middle opposite Maison de Tignes on the webcams), its also simple for experienced people to do their own thing and hit a few areas easily, zoom around and get back to meet the beginners for a fat lunch avec vin rouge !

Val Claret also, but if it were me I would go for Lac every time.

Also agree - Lac and Val Claret both very suitable....with Evo 2 being a good Ski School.
snow report
@xRob, Also don’t totally discount a nice apartment. Some rental agencies can arrange catering or also look at Hu.ski for ready cooked food.
Val d’Isere is more my area and Mountain Rooms do a semi catered option when renting from them. Breakfast, afternoon tea and cleaning 6 days a week with 3 evening meals, you can then either go out a few evenings, have a take away or if you’ve had a large late lunch just enjoy some of the local cheese and meats with bread and wine in the evening.
snow report
@xRob, I agree with @chocksaway,
Tignes is not a resort that’s ideal for beginners, especially in December. Val D’Isere is not really any better, in that respect.

You might, just might, get very lucky with snow conditions, weather and the relative resilience of your beginners. But the odds are stacked against you.

Does the 3 Valleys area offer you any possibilities that early in the season? I can’t recall when the main areas open but, if they do, would suit the range of experience in your group better IMO.

La Plagne/Les Arcs too.
snow report
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated.

PeakyB wrote:
@xRob, I agree with @chocksaway,
Tignes is not a resort that’s ideal for beginners, especially in December. Val D’Isere is not really any better, in that respect.

You might, just might, get very lucky with snow conditions, weather and the relative resilience of your beginners. But the odds are stacked against you.

Does the 3 Valleys area offer you any possibilities that early in the season? I can’t recall when the main areas open but, if they do, would suit the range of experience in your group better IMO.

La Plagne/Les Arcs too.

Damn, so Tignes in general might be off the cards then. I was looking there originally due to altitude/likelihood of decent conditions, didn't even consider whether the resort as a whole would be ok for our beginners. I've only been skiing in Austria before (and that a pretty long time ago!) so have no experience of resorts in France.

La Plagne I was looking at before, looks like only some of it will be open that week though. I'll do some more research on 3 valleys.
snow report
@PeakyB, correct.
Les Arcs should open on December 11.
Meribel, a week earlier.
https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp might offer a solution.
OTH, the PSB is a week earlier and instruction plus company is readily available.
In Austria, Solden with the related Obergurgl will be good as well
snow conditions
xRob wrote:

Damn, so Tignes in general might be off the cards then. I was looking there originally due to altitude/likelihood of decent conditions, didn't even consider whether the resort as a whole would be ok for our beginners. I've only been skiing in Austria before (and that a pretty long time ago!) so have no experience of resorts in France.

La Plagne I was looking at before, looks like only some of it will be open that week though. I'll do some more research on 3 valleys.

I'm not so pessimistic about Tignes's (or Val D'Isere) suitability for beginners. Are there better resorts for novices - yes there are.....but the combination of reasonable beginner slopes, free beginner lifts, height, convenience, early snow quality, ski schools and great variety for better skiers, still makes it a good choice......especially if the beginner isn't terribly timid.
latest report
Quote:
Also agree - Lac and Val Claret both very suitable....with Evo 2 being a good Ski School
As mentioned above, there are free ski lifts for beginners at both.

- Covered magic carpet, button lift and slow chair at Le Lac.
- Covered magic carpet and fast chair (with cover for bad weather) at Val Claret. May be a free drag lift there too - near the magic carpet(??)

Either of the above (ie Le Lac or Val Claret) areas are really good for beginners - offering a pretty decent length, with cafes and bars nearby for a warming hot choc, or beer.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Either of the above (ie Le Lac or Val Claret) areas are really good for beginners - offering a pretty decent length, with cafes and bars nearby for a warming hot choc, or beer.

+1 - bars and restos surround these beginner areas - most beginners seem ecstatic to transfer from Bollin fast chair (free) to Cocorico bar - hope it’s open this season ;o)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy