Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
I own an apartment in Ecrin de Neiges which has been shut down totally for the summer. No compensation, we weren't even told
Absolutely beyond a joke that Pukkascott... Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Trying to avoid withdrawal symptoms by looking at webcams!
I see the monstrous club med development but there is also some work going on on the edge of VC town and wondered what that is?
Webcam not really good enough image to see??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowornever, According to a local mate the planning board for that plot says 4 star hotel, but only 14m in height.

More rooms, no more pistes!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:

NIMBY Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, …
Quote:

4 star hotel, but only 14m in height.

More upmarket expensive rooms!
Tignes continues the slow march towards being a place for the rich.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are the sports pitches (tennis courts etc) that part of the new CM building will be on being replaced elsewhere in Val Claret?
Presumably quite popular with locals and summer visitors.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB, Indeed the gentrification of Tignes. But I would prefervone bed out one bed in, but most of the developments are 1 out, two or 3 in, just look at the Alpaka/Diamond Rock 30 to 120 beds.

They built a big pitch uphill from the Funicular station about 3 years ago in advance of the CM works.

Should be lots of pictures on ITV 4 today as Le Tour rolls in this afternoon, if the weather allows the helichopper to fly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, I agree. Unless they intend to restrict day visitors at peak times it will just get too overcrowded.

Thanks for Tour de France info. I’ll watch it especially for a midsummer Tignes fix snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tour de France in Tignes?

Its raining, probably nailed on for a mudslide or landslip of some form - allied to TV cameras not working on the heli Very Happy Very Happy

Its a Val D conspiracy, I tell ya !!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
@snowornever, According to a local mate the planning board for that plot says 4 star hotel, but only 14m in height.

Interesting, its about time they implemented a rule stating all new builds must require demolition of an existing structure equivalent otherwise it will start to look like a city with pistes as an afterthought Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GreenDay, From Bourg live: Its pissing down!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A board has appeared close to the Club Med development advertising the building of a new Tichot telecabine to potentially replace the chair. Details are scarce so far but due to be ready in late 23 evidently. Also the arrival point is subject to debate and rumour as well, I have someone on the case..... At least it should up capacity and allow access to the mountain if we have another high snow line at the start of the season - I think it was 3 seasons ago when Val had more open because of gondolas when you could only ski to 2300m.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, Does the Club des Sports have any comments on the idea of a Tichot telecabine ? Maybe a short drag lift could be put back in to access the Lognan stade.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, Don't know but the process of lift replacement is governed by the "Snow Committee" for want of a better phrase. That's an unholy alliance of STGM, The Marie, ESF, Tignes Development and probably anybody else who can barge in. For instance STGM wanted to replace the Aeroski with a chair but ESF Lac wanted a telecabine so they could ski the blues of Bellvarde and come home without having to come down Trolles/Julian Clarey or get the bus from VC.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
Also the arrival point is subject to debate and rumour as well

You can't currently ski to the arrival point from the Grattalu piste, can you? There wouldn't be much point making it a gondola unless you could do that. Is there scope to move the bottom of it? The current location is a pain to get to from the pistes. I'm thinking run the whole lift between Stade and Carline, but I guess there's a reason they didn't do that when it was built.

How much can capacity be boosted by? According to skiresort.info the Solaise gondola can do 3600 people per hour, even L'Olympique is only 3750 per hour. The new La Daille & Les Boisses gondolas are less than that. They already rate Tichot at 3600 per hour. I'm not sure where they get these numbers from and therefore how accurate they are.
snow conditions
thelem wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
Also the arrival point is subject to debate and rumour as well

You can't currently ski to the arrival point from the Grattalu piste, can you? There wouldn't be much point making it a gondola unless you could do that. Is there scope to move the bottom of it? The current location is a pain to get to from the pistes. I'm thinking run the whole lift between Stade and Carline, but I guess there's a reason they didn't do that when it was built.

How much can capacity be boosted by? According to skiresort.info the Solaise gondola can do 3600 people per hour, even L'Olympique is only 3750 per hour. The new La Daille & Les Boisses gondolas are less than that. They already rate Tichot at 3600 per hour. I'm not sure where they get these numbers from and therefore how accurate they are.

Moving the base station would seem sensible on the face of it.............however you can bet your bottom dollar that having a lift 50m away from the back door was a prerequisite for the Club Med location.

Would imagine they will remodel or adjust the top station in order to allow learners download opportunities - same as Chocksaway mentioned above re the Aeroski / Toviere situation.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
[b]ESF Lac wanted a telecabine so they could ski the blues of Bellvarde and come home without having to come down Trolles/Julian Clarey or get the bus from VC.

Always knew ESF were weak skiers. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Does this mean that Tichot is closed for the 2021/22 season?
snow report
@FrediKanoute, I doubt it. They normally rip the old chair out in about 3 days and then rebuild during the summer. Once the concrete footers have cured the apparatus goes up in a heartbeat, or rather the beat of a helicopter blade!
snow report
@chocksaway,
Quote:

Once the concrete footers have cured the apparatus goes up in a heartbeat,

I’ve occasionally wondered how the quality and durability of those all important concrete footers for lift structures is ensured and tested.

Usually when swinging to and fro in a gondola, or on a chairlift, stopped by a howling gale Skullie
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Some days I'm just glad I know nothing about concrete and metal fatigue in harsh climates Very Happy
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@PeakyB, Some days I'm just glad I know nothing about concrete and metal fatigue in harsh climates Very Happy

I dont think we need to worry about concrete and metal fatigue - these will be manufactured to the highest standards.

The one that (only vaguely) concerns me is the impact of global warming on the structure of the rock and leading to rockfalls landslips etc.
snow report
@GreenDay,
Quote:

I dont think we need to worry about concrete and metal fatigue - these will be manufactured to the highest standards.

The one that (only vaguely) concerns me is the impact of global warming on the structure of the rock and leading to rockfalls landslips etc.

I guess with global warming though there’d be insufficient good snow to bother going skiing, before risky changes to rock structures became of high concern.
snow conditions
@GreenDay, Of course you are right on the certification of lifts. But sometimes ignorance is bliss.
The other thing to worry about is the area is quite geologically active, ie movement. I highlighted problems with the Bourg to Les Arcs Funi the other day. The rails have buckled, the heat was blamed in the local press. The word on the 'rue' suggests there may be snags with the concrete structure. Whether this is poor concrete or movement, no one seems to know. But after 65 years those massive pipes to the south of Les Arcs bringing water down to the Hydro station behind Super U had reached the limit of the in built allowance for movement and had to be replaced.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

Resurrecting this comment having just seen the size and depth of the hole dug for this hotel it’s going to be massive and mostly subterranean!
14m above ground still pretty big and the buildings behind will have lost their view!!
snow conditions
It's been a good while since I was in Tignes. That new build in Val Claret, am I right in thinking it would end about in front of The Diva?
latest report
rogg wrote:
It's been a good while since I was in Tignes. That new build in Val Claret, am I right in thinking it would end about in front of The Diva?

you can see it on the val claret webcam on the tignes app, its huge!!!
snow report
snowornever wrote:
rogg wrote:

There is also something big being built just in front left of the Bollin Fresse lift.............
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GreenDay wrote:
snowornever wrote:
rogg wrote:

There is also something big being built just in front left of the Bollin Fresse lift.............

thats what shows on the webcam!
the cklub med development in what was the car park adjacent to the tichot chair is even huger!
latest report
@rogg, yes, the Diva is know known as the Belhambra, or some think like that.

@GreenDay, Yip I think that's the one I referred to above, in answer to snowornever.
latest report
@snowornever, @chocksaway, Apologies both, must actually read posts before replying Very Happy Getting some new radiators fitted so my multitasking aint what it used to be.........
snow report
I'm looking at booking in to do a snoworks course in Tignes this December. I skied in Val Thorens around about 11th December 2019 and the snow was exceptional with pretty much all runs open.

Appreciate the forces of nature are at play, but how much of Tignes do they tend to open up in December? Would probably be going 5th-20th December or somewhere in there...

Just don't want to spend 10 days or so if they only have the glacier or and a few runs open. I've never been to Tignes, so how does it compare to the 3Vs?
snow report
@anjunabeats, by then there would normally be plenty open
latest report
@anjunabeats,

Subject to snow conditions the majority of the resort will be open including links to val
snow report
Thanks for your replies - That’s good to hear. Happy to take a gamble on that basis I think. 2019 was a pretty exceptional season start, so important to remember it’s not always that good! Excited to try somewhere different and will probably book in to the 3Vs in Jan as well. All Covid depending of course!
snow report
@anjunabeats, once you’ve skied espace killy you won’t want to go anywhere else
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
@anjunabeats, once you’ve skied espace killy you won’t want to go anywhere else

Sounds great! I felt like that about the 3Vs and EK has to be the other great ski area in France really doesn’t it…. Looks great on the piste map / photos and have driven through Val D in the summer and looked stunning.
latest report
Depending on what you like doing, do the Snoworks off piste courses
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:
Depending on what you like doing, do the Snoworks off piste courses

Thanks. I was looking at the all terrain course first. My off piste skills are poor (but I’m pretty good on piste until things get super steep and choppy). I’m probably upper intermediate, looking to get past that intermediate plateau! I’ve done the warren smith courses before but wanted to try Tignes as well.
latest report
Hi @anjunabeats, I plan to be in Tignes too, from November onwards, possibly even a little earlier. All assuming the travel situation permits and does not deteriorate. Will also be dipping into some Snoworks stuff. I have skied with them for the last few early seasons and they are a great bunch.

Pre-December it's generally glacier only. From start of December it would be highly exceptional if you could not also ski back to resort (Val Claret) on Double M. This faces directly north and is fully covered with snow making. So all that tends to vary is the proportion of natural to artificial snow in the blend. Normally, as Stewart says, links to Val d'Isere would be open from start of Dec, along with higher runs. Worst case you might have to download in a bubble/funi if staying that side.

Off piste, however, could be a bit more of a mixed bag. Over the aforementioned autumns, it has always been viable but I have tended to avoid doing much until later. When I have been tempted I've caught the odd 'growler' under my skis and scratched up the bases. You would want to ski with some accuracy.

You're welcome to catch up for a run or two if you want, between our various Snoworks courses.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy