Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Joyeux Noel all Tignites!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best wishes from the Val chapter..
We are hoping to ski sometime in 2021...
Cheers and Happy Christmas..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, about 5 mins ago Sad Sad

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GreenDay, Oh go on rub it in Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Oh go on rub it in
Yep - just so frustrating...

But even more frustrating that we're now in striking distance of a year of the pandemic - and there is still no realistic end (or sign of getting back to skiing in Tignes) in sight as case numbers are still enormous across Europe... Confused It's almost like nothing has worked and we're back at square one...

Who would possibly have believed that at the start of Lockdown 1? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

Yep - just so frustrating...

It seems a long time since I had to scarper out of Tignes on the 17th of March as travel restrictions were tightening up. I think I'm approaching the point where I don't think we (personally) will ski this season. Too many ifs & buts. Almost impossible to plan anything meaningful.

If it's any consolation at all, a resident friend of ours has been skinning when and where allowed. It looks great on the webcams but they described snow conditions as "thin".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I think I'm approaching the point where I don't think we will ski this season. Too many ifs & buts
I agree. Already thinking that winter is probably out of the window and now wondering if Tignes summer skiing may go the same way... Confused Covid levels are simply out of control...

Roll on winter 2021/22 Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We need the whole state to work together to vaccinate as many as possible as quick as possible. Skiing is a side issue but I hold out hope I will ski again. If the Oxford vaccine is approved it is surely not beyond 21st Europe to get this sorted in 3-4 months. Surely money and resources are no object. We need to vaccinate 2 to 3 million a week.
A happy, safe and vaccinated New Year to everyone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2/3 million a week is 25/30 weeks JUST for the UK. OK the others will be doing the same. Oxford low temp vax is the key, even then it will be late summer/autumn before any 'normality' returns...........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maersk wrote:
2/3 million a week is 25/30 weeks JUST for the UK. OK the others will be doing the same. Oxford low temp vax is the key, even then it will be late summer/autumn before any 'normality' returns...........

Are you assuming that the whole population needs to be immunised? Ideally yes but only a good proportion needs to be immunised to stop the pandemic situation (as with other diseases vaccinated against) and I expect national restrictions to be lifted earlier than this when a decent proportion of vulnerable groups have been done leaving just the less affected to be jabbed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GeorgeVII wrote:
I think I'm approaching the point where I don't think we (personally) will ski this season. Too many ifs & buts. Almost impossible to plan anything meaningful.

I think you are right when it comes to the Alps.

Our group had resigned itself to no Alps, and had thought STs for Glenshee or Coe - but tbh, even Scotland at the moment is looking unlikely (frustrating as snow fell last night and lots of cold en route) due to tier restrictions and the probability of ski areas not selling tickets to non-locals.

Suspect in europe we are all looking at next season already...........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are just over 25m people over the age of 50 in UK. Add on say 2 million extra vulnerable say gives you 27m. There are an additional 8m in the 40-49 range
Deaths in Hospital
To 16th Dec there had been 324 deaths in hospital of under-40s since the start. 40-59 3146, 60-79 17343, 80+ 24600. Clearly a lot of death have been in care homes, etc
All but 1900 of hospital deaths had pre-existing conditions. Only 48 u-40s did not have a pre-existing condition
So as you see at 2-3m a day you would squash the pandemic in the Uk in 3-4 months as there would be few cases above 40 or 50 and there is negligible risk to the younger
If you do the over 60s and vulnerable(about 15-18 m) at 2-3m a day it becomes very manageable in 6 to 9 weeks. So basically by end of Feb.
Time to cut the head off the monster. Any money or resource not devoted to the solution is of limited value.
We can forgive the government a lot but this???
Anyone in business should be banging the drum with their MP.
We will have failed if we are not on top of it by mid-March irrespective of the ski season. Sadly not important at the moment
1 m a day means end of April before just the over 60s etc are done. The difference is stark. We are talking the difference between a running economy in March rather than May or even as late as July.
I still hold out hope of a couple of very late weeks but the lack of ambition is soul destroying
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And with Brexit there will be a 3 month max for us next winter!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the moment the factor restricting vaccination is the number of doses available. If & when that factor is overcome (approval of different vaccines/ramped up production of vaccines) then the restricting factor will become the number of vaccinators - I wonder how many of them the UK has?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mark1863 wrote:

No, you can apply to France for a long term holiday visa. Yes you have to prove certain things and pay circa €100, a bit of a faff, but far from insurmountable.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:

No, you can apply to France for a long term holiday visa. Yes you have to prove certain things and pay circa €100, a bit of a faff, but far from insurmountable.

Link please?
ski holidays
Interesting last few posts on this thread. I am not sure if all of the calculations factor in the need for two doses of the vaccine for them to be effective? Having provided medical cover for COVID vaccination clinics I can tell you it's not a quick process but getting quicker all of the time with staff familiarity. CEV patients are by the nature of their underlying health problems not simply an arm that needs a needle shoving in, the decision whether to vaccinate is more nuanced. As the younger and less chronically unwell get their turn it will speed up.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, It was in the post deal facts thread...

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/brexit
latest report
The government are publishing figures that say people vaccinated not mentioning doses. So if they are on about single injections then basically double all the timescales. My assumption given what they have been saying is their figures are for full vaccinations. But the question re figures is pertinent.
@Kenzie, The point I have made to my MP that production based on "maybe effective" basis should have been going full tilt for some time. So if there are not enough vaccines now and on-going ability to meet UK demand for the Oxford vaccine then what has been going on. Both astrozeneca and pfizer have said between them several billion doses would be produced in 2021. Something does not add up!
snow report
Can we stick to Tignes related stuff on this thread and avoid drifting, there are enough COVID threads here for the experts to go discuss things surely?

Thanks
snow conditions
Good point.
latest report
@thefatcontroller, well that was a conversation stopper, HNY!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 1-01-21 18:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It was fair point well made. The bad news keeps leaking out as it seems there has been some lies being told about the number of stockpiled doses. So less optimistic that any UK resident will ski this season. This year I will be going out summer and autumn. No fix until next winter is not an option.
We know it is going to get better this year so lets be thankful that we can look forward to 2021/22 with some optimism.
There appears to have a decent snowfall in Tignes over the holiday period.
latest report
@Mark1863, There are no lies. It hs been in the public domain for quite a while that AZ had troubles starting up their production and their promised 30m or whatever doses by Xmas had not materialised.Exacerbate now by ths MHRA having decided they want to approve each batch individually which is slowing the process down even further.
latest report
Other than 2011 (bit busy in a cojntry a long way from here) it's the first time I haven't been in Tignes since 2006 for the New Year. Let's hope that changes and I can get back to weather forecasting in 2021!

Happy New Year Tignesaddicts!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@telford_mike, It was in the post deal facts thread...

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/brexit

Thanks!
snow report
Come on Mark1863 and countryman...You're defying thefatcontroller's instruction to stay on thread... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Was booked to come out end of March 20, still have a "new" set of skis, ntn telemark bindings and boots in the dining room brought end of 2019 season! Worried they are going to be older than the full set they replaced before they see snow!

Only so many times I can eye the depth in the toviere balcony and plead to the almighty!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, I know you often spent new year or Burns night at the Pigs Tail. Has it been demolished yet, or has that development gone on hold?
latest report
@GreenDay, I'm not sure now, it was due to be demolished summer 21. Whether that has changed I don't know. S and D live above the 'shop' and I got a picture of No 1 son on Christmas Eve preparing the family goose in their private kitchen!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, I'm not sure now, it was due to be demolished summer 21. Whether that has changed I don't know. S and D live above the 'shop' and I got a picture of No 1 son on Christmas Eve preparing the family goose in their private kitchen!

Thanx, I was pining a bit for Tignes the other day and recreated one of their goldfish bowl G&Ts (with all the fancy gubbins on top).

Nice, but not quite the same................
ski holidays
@GreenDay, Now if you could recreate the pulled pork rolls I'd be on the next train north - oh hang on..... Very Happy
ski holidays
@chocksaway,

I am missing Friday fish and chips not forgetting the bottle or 2 of wine.
latest report
@mountainaddict,
Think it is better I do not post until the pandemic fades.
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, +1. Even our local chippy is having an extended Xmas break....
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, Count me in there Stewart. (and the odd slow-roasted lamb dinner).
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, @chocksaway,

The simple things make life worth living Smile
ski holidays
Hi All,

Having moved our trip from April last year to April this year... this is now looking unlikely so we are looking at the possibility of moving our trip to either Christmas or New Year as we are able to move our flights for free.

With this being our first trip in over 10 years I'm wondering if anyone with any experience could help. The current changeover day of our accommodation is a Saturday. With this being Christmas Day/New Years Day how likely is it they will change it to a Sunday for next season?
I have had a look on their website but can't see any info and it doesn't look like they are taking booking for next season yet.

Thanks in advance
snow report
Hi @DanB234, many TOs do alter changeover dates when Christmas falls on a Saturday, creating a stretched week and a short week at appropriate points in their schedule and adjusting the price of each accordingly. Whether yours does this, only they can tell you, obvs.
ski holidays
@DanB234,
What sort of accommodation & who with?
Can you get flights with your airline on Christmas and/or New Years Day?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy