Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could wearing your goggles reduce your chance of COVID-19?

Poster: A snowHead
This research seems to indicate, that even wearing glasses regularly, can reduce your chance of catching COVID-19 by 82%. So perhaps we should all consider wearing our goggles in gondolas and cable-cars? Maybe even get clear goggles for bars and restaurants! snowHead

Insert your joke about "beer goggles" here >>>>

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-glasses-protection.html

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaophthalmology/fullarticle/2770872?guestAccessKey=90df3083-7df3-4152-a3ca-edda946a76c6&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=091620

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-09-20 15:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Poogle,
Quote:

This research seems to indicate, that even wearing glasses regularly, can reduce your chance of catching COVID-19 by 500%.

I’m not a statistician but even I can work out that a 500% reduction seems a little improbable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds very tenuous. And no mechanism suggested.

Bluff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Poogle,
Quote:

This research seems to indicate, that even wearing glasses regularly, can reduce your chance of catching COVID-19 by 500%.

I’m not a statistician but even I can work out that a 500% reduction seems a little improbable.

Correct. I was just testing you. You win a ski holiday in Siberia. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Sounds very tenuous. And no mechanism suggested.

Bluff.

I call your bluff! NehNeh

From the research paper link above:

“COVID-19 has been proven to be transmitted mainly through droplets and contact.2 The eye is also considered an important route of infection.”

“ We hypothesized that eyeglasses prevent or discourage wearers from touching their eyes, thus avoiding transferring the virus from the hands to the eyes.6 Studies have shown that normal people will involuntarily touch their eyes about 10 times per hour.7 Eyes usually lack protection, and an abundance of the SARS-CoV-2 receptor angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 has been found on the ocular surface,8 through which SARS-CoV-2 can enter the human body. SARS-CoV-2 may also be transported to the nasal and nasopharyngeal mucosa through continuous tear irrigation of the lacrimal duct, causing respiratory infection.9 According to available statistics, nearly 1% to 12% of patients with COVID-19 have ocular manifestations,10,11 SARS-CoV-2 was detected in tears or the conjunctival sacs of patients with COVID-19,12 and some ophthalmologists were reported to be infected during routine treatment.13 Therefore, the eyes are considered an important channel for SARS-CoV-2 to enter the human body.11 For daily wearers of eyeglasses, who usually wear eyeglasses on social occasions, wearing eyeglasses may become a protective factor, reducing the risk of virus transfer to the eyes and leading to long-term daily wearers of eyeglasses being rarely infected with COVID-19. Presently, many COVID-19 guidelines state the need to pay attention to preventing infections through the eyes,14 but most people only focus on wearing masks and home isolation, ignoring recommendations such as washing hands frequently and avoiding touching the eyes with the hands.15 The results of this study can be used as evidence of the importance of these 2 recommendations.”
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was thinking that wearing a condom over your head would make the risk zero.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must be worth some more research. Lets face it we were told that masks were of no use. It seems they are now.

Off to buy shares in safety glass manufacturers just in case. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Poogle, Still don’t think it’s a very convincing paper.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
I was thinking that wearing a condom over your head would make the risk zero.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Poogle, that abstract seems to be quite devoid of indicating they have obtained any data to prove the point.

It is the case that liquid over the eyes (basically, tears) drain into the nose. If you had never thought about this, you might think of how one tends to get a sniffly nose after crying. So any contamination of the eyes could, at least theoretically, introduce coronavirus to the cells lining the nose which are susceptible. So it is with good reason that has been mentioned.

However to get infection there needs to be a sufficient amount of virus. If you imagine a worst case scenario of an infected person coughing into their hand and then using a door handle subsequently touched by someone else who then rubs their eye: quite apart from the fact that not all the virus reaching their hand will have been transferred to the door, and likely jsut a proportion of that to the next person, when you rub your eye only a small part of your hand will only ever contact your eye in a way that might transfer virus. So your chance of infection that way is likely to be considerably less than being close to someone else talking for a period of time and your breathing in the droplets they emit every time they make a "s" or "t" consonant.

Now if these people have some new data which suggests different, that is important. But there is no sign of that in the quoted abstract, and it seems more likely that only a few percent of cases at most are caught via the eyes which means the impact of spectaces impeding people rubbing their eyes is unlikely to be to reduce infections by 80%.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@j b, it's an interesting discussion.

The seem to have found a correlation, but as we all know, correlation does not equal causation. But I do think the numbers seem quite firm: there is a big reduction in infection for people wearing glasses:

Results A total of 276 patients with COVID-19 were enrolled. Of these, 155 (56.2%) were male, and the median age was 51 (interquartile range, 41-5Cool years. All those who wore glasses for more than 8 hours a day had myopia and included 16 of 276 patients (5.8%; 95% CI, 3.04%-8.55%). The proportion of people with myopia in Hubei province, based on a previous study, was 31.5%, which was much higher than the proportion of patients with COVID-19 who had myopia in this sample.

But a search for: "virus transmission through eyes", throws-up numerous peer-reviewed papers, where the infection route is confirmed, with many very plausible explanations. It seems to be accepted in the medical community that this is a known transmission risk.

"The plural of anecdote is not data..." but: My mother was a GP, and never had a cold or flu for decades. She said it was because she had trained herself to never touch her face with unwashed hands.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always wear glasses rather than contact lenses to go to the supermarket which is the only shopping I do in person now
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Poogle, fair enough they come up with an observation even if as you say it does not demonstrate cause.

I am sure virus transmission through the eyes does happen, including for respiratory illnesses. And more generally, infective agents can certainly enter the body via facial touching - though I would guess the benefit of eliminating facial touching would be greater for non-respiratory illnesses like MRSA and norovirus. But your mother's story does give cause for thought.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in April I was walking round my local Waitrose and there was a lady actually wearing ski goggles to her weekly shop! wondered if she was a snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowymum, sounds like she was a something head, but it ain't snow.
snow conditions
276 subjects is simply not a statistically significant sample to conclude anything. Let alone that there's a meaningful reduction in viral infection rates for people wearing spectacles. Yes, it's a useful first step, but you'd have to do a whole load more work to even begin to claim a credible linkage. It's actually quite typical of an interesting small-scale retrospective exercise suggesting causality that gets disproven by larger-scale research. Typically, you'd first revisit the statistics to find equal correlations, such as that most people who died were admitted on a Tuesday, or owned a car, or commuted by bus, or had children etc. etc. i.e. spectacle-wearing was no more significant than a variety of other correlations. I don't criticise the research, but it's like step 1 of 10 in actually proving any linkage.
ski holidays
Everyone should be required by law to quarantine 24/7, 365 Never go outside, ever, period. Seal off your home from the outside and quarantine within from any other living creature, this includes any and all pets, even goldfish. Wear a mask AND goggles 24/7, even in the shower and shower or bathe at least five times per day WITH a 3% bleach solution. Gargle with hydrogen peroxide at least five times each day. Do not allow anyone to within your home to come near you at a distance closer than fifty feet. Constantly clean all surfaces within your home with a 5% bleach solution throughout the day. Vacuum each day, as well. Keep all windows and doors fully shut. Chimney flues, too. Live in constant fear as we must. We must. Trust no one. Everyone is a potential deadly carrier of COVID 1984. Trust only the government as only the government can save us. The government knows what is not just right, but just. The government will save us. If the day arrives whereupon the government claims it is safe, continue to follow these guidelines for at least 10 years.......
ski holidays
arcsinice wrote:
Everyone should be required by law to quarantine 24/7, 365 Never go outside, ever, period. Seal off your home from the outside and quarantine within from any other living creature, this includes any and all pets, even goldfish. Wear a mask AND goggles 24/7, even in the shower and shower or bathe at least five times per day WITH a 3% bleach solution. Gargle with hydrogen peroxide at least five times each day. Do not allow anyone to within your home to come near you at a distance closer than fifty feet. Constantly clean all surfaces within your home with a 5% bleach solution throughout the day. Vacuum each day, as well. Keep all windows and doors fully shut. Chimney flues, too. Live in constant fear as we must. We must. Trust no one. Everyone is a potential deadly carrier of COVID 1984. Trust only the government as only the government can save us. The government knows what is not just right, but just. The government will save us. If the day arrives whereupon the government claims it is safe, continue to follow these guidelines for at least 10 years.......

Too right ...... 200,000 dead is a small price to pay for the Liberty of not wearing a mask when visiting the local gun shop.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
... Too right ...... 200,000 dead is a small price to pay for the Liberty of not wearing a mask when visiting the local gun shop.
They'll be making laws which say we all have to drive on the same side of the road next.
latest report
Quote:

The plural of anecdote is not data...

I am definitely going to store that phrase for later use.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy