Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying my first bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Having just bought my first pair of new skis (Blaxk Crows Divis 2021 - 82mm waist, I believe), I’m on the hunt for bindings.

What are the pertinent considerations?

I’m a confident (perhaps slightly overconfident) intermediate piste skier, who was persuaded to do a *bit* of not-very-serious racing last season.

I’m 6’3” and 76kg

I like the colour yellow.

LS
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sole profile do you have on your boots, ie alpine, WTR, GW etc? If alpine or WTR are you planning on changing your boots in the near future?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Correct brake width
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
What sole profile do you have on your boots, ie alpine, WTR, GW etc? If alpine or WTR are you planning on changing your boots in the near future?

Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 - er, Alpine, I guess?

No plans to change any time soon.

LS
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lord_seagrave wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

LS

Depending on the year they could have either an alpine sole or a GripWalk (GW) sole. It's important to know as some bindings will only work with an alpine sole whereas some will work with both an alpine and GW.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
lord_seagrave wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

LS

Depending on the year they could have either an alpine sole or a GripWalk (GW) sole. It's important to know as some bindings will only work with an alpine sole whereas some will work with both an alpine and GW.

hawx ultra is 5355 alpine sole, they will only have gripwalk sole plates available from december and only as a spare part NOT shipped on the boot
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't get this. Surely anyone who is a good enough skier to warrant using Hawx Ultra 130s is going to be able to walk in a pair of ski boots without needing to attach gripwalk plates. Or am I missing something?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@esaw1, it influences the choice of bindings, as not all bindings take gripwalk. That's all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf, That much I do understand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks chaps - interesting digression. Not a distinction I’ve ever been aware of (having previously only hired, and on my secondhand skis the bindings appeared to fit readily with my Hawx).

So, just to clarify, I want a bit of advice on how to ensure that the bindings I buy fit my skis, fit my boots and are appropriate for my technical ability.

I’m slightly befuddled by the choice (and my usual trick of picking the prettiest ones might not cut it if I end up drilling the wrong holes in my sexy new skis...!).

LS
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, and yes, I walkx in my Hawx.

Even in slippery Aprés bars Wink

LS
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Correct brake width

For 82mm skis, will 90mm be OK? Or is there a tolerance/allowance for this measurement?

LS
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
esaw1 wrote:
I don't get this. Surely anyone who is a good enough skier to warrant using Hawx Ultra 130s is going to be able to walk in a pair of ski boots without needing to attach gripwalk plates. Or am I missing something?

I don’t get it either, but seems the boot is aimed at someone that wants a lighter boot and does a lot of walking in their boots, but doesn’t want a touring boot.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lord_seagrave wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
Correct brake width

For 82mm skis, will 90mm be OK? Or is there a tolerance/allowance for this measurement?

LS

Someone skilful like @spyderjon can probably bend some 80 mm brakes a millimetre either side. But 90mm brakes will, of course, fit. The binding with 85mm brakes appear to be mostly children’s.

If you were buying these skis + binding set from Glisshop for example, they pair them with Marker TP 11 with 90 mm brakes.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 12-09-20 21:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@lord_seagrave, So do I with alpine soles....
latest report
lord_seagrave wrote:

I’m a confident (perhaps slightly overconfident) intermediate piste skier, who was persuaded to do a *bit* of not-very-serious racing last season.

No idea about the bindings; spiderman and CEM are your experts.

Re the racing, I an led to believe the event is deadly serious with some ringers!
snow report
lord_seagrave wrote:

...What are the pertinent considerations?...

LS

What does @spyderjon, have in stock/recommend? Toofy Grin
snow report
@lord_seagrave, I've replied to your PM.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
esaw1 wrote:

I don’t get it either, but seems the boot is aimed at someone that wants a lighter boot and does a lot of walking in their boots, but doesn’t want a touring boot.

I don't get why (unless you are proper racer, or you have older non compatible bindings), you'd want to use flat din soles if there is a gripwalk option.
Whilst full on squishy touring soles do provide a noticable drop in performance (and variable release in an alpine binding), gripwalk soles do not really, and are way better for walking, climbing/billy goating, etc...
and yes I do have a full on pair of rock injected race boots to compare to my touring boots and semi touring boots...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-09-20 7:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
and why would you buy a binding that isn't gripwalk* compatible? I believe most decent ones are now?
Bear in mind you may change your boots again before your bindings
I have a stack of older look/rossi pivots that I can't use because they are din alpine only.

*CEM/Spyderjon can confirm, but I believe wtr is gone?
snow conditions
@stuarth, yep, WTR is dead.

Did you know that Look offer aftermarket WTR and GW AFD's for your old Pivots, both for the 12/14 din toes and the full metal 15/18 toes.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
@stuarth, yep, WTR is dead.

Did you know that Look offer aftermarket WTR and GW AFD's for your old Pivots, both for the 12/14 din toes and the full metal 15/18 toes.

That is very good to know Cool
I've been lamenting their retirement, so I may have to pick some GW afds up and resurrect them snowHead I've been using Marker Griffons because look/Rossi couldn't figure out what standard to support for a few years, but not as good as pivots imho.
Though now I am on totally sold on Shifts so not sure I could go back to something as low-tech (or non tech I guess!) as pivots either wink
snow conditions
@stuarth, just like betamax!! its dead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy