Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favorite French Resort for families for the season?

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you for reading! Hope I'm posting in the correct area.

We’re beyond excited to spend a ski season in France! We’re a family of 4 - two kiddos looking for the best ski town to spend January to March. We are looking for:
- High enough elevation to get quality snow (I'm from Colorado and gotta get some powder Smile
- Quality amount of terrain
- Family friendly - other activities outside skiing
- Beginner and expert terrain/off piste.
- Not extremely expensive (accommodation, lift passes, meals, town in general)
I've done a bit of research so far and here is what I found. Saint Gervias looked like a good one until I saw that it was lower and may not get great snow. Port Du Soleil has been recommended a lot, specifically Morizine. I like how large it is, how about snow quality? Of course Les Trois valleys is massive - any one recommend it? Finally, I was in Val D'Isere but it was like 15 years ago pre-kids. I loved it but how is it for a ski town? As you can see we're very open Smile We take any and all recommendations.

Bonus if anyone knows of any apartments available for the season - that’s our next step! Looking for a 3 bedroom, does not have to be right at the lift, a quite area is perfect for us. We're looking to arrive in the beginning of January (after new years week) and stay until the end of March. We're a nice normal family that will take good care of your ski chalet!

Also if there are any other families doing this our kiddos (4 and 6 years old) will be looking for friends. Smile

Thank you to Chris for telling me to post here!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nicole.bates wrote:

No problem, its a superb group and very friendly!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nicole.bates, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
I've not skied much in France compared to other alpine countries, I'm sure those sHs with better knowledge than me will post here. However of the French resorts I would say the two best family friendly resorts with extensive skiing I've been to which are also proper villages/towns rather than purpose built ski resorts are Serre Chevalier and La Clusaz.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Steve Angus (Snow Reports forum, thread 'The view from Val D'Isere ....') - he has 2 youngsters & lives in Val D.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nicole.bates, Bourg st Maurice may be a good choice. Apart from the obvious choice of the funicular to Les Arcs there are buses to the other resorts such as Tignes, La Rosiere, St. Foy, Val d'Isere. It is also a large international town so the children will find other children of the same age and I suspect will meet similar children from school. The primary school will probably be quite used to English speaking children.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nicole.bates, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

Bourg St Maurice is a good base. Best if you have use of your own vehicle I think.

Living in a resort like Val D’Isere has advantages but is expensive. Similarly villages in the 3 Valleys.
Both can be reached from BStM for day trips.

Which country will you be living in during the next 3 months? That may affect where you’ll be allowed to visit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are your plans for this coming season? Despite Covid uncertainty you’ll need to get cracking to find a 3 bed apartment for 3 months. It’s too short for the full season let market and covers the french 4 week half term period in Feb. That is likely to translate into a sizeable bill. However, maybe I’m being pessimistic, as you may find an owner salivating at being fully let for a chunk of time with all this uncertainty swirling about. France is topping the leader boards in Europe for daily infections at the moment. I can’t see there being any thirst for a total lockdown again though, but there is that risk. Check your travel insurance will cover you, and buy ski passes with the Carte Neige (on mountain rescue insurance)

I suggest you approach the local estate agents (they will be listed on the resort websites) and ask what they might be able to offer..we’ve done that with some success over the years- negotiating a long term price for a place that’s otherwise a weekly rental. (Now the proud openers of a ski pad, so don’t have to).
Val D’Isere is big and lively, with no shortage of other things to do. One of the most expensive french resorts. A 3 bed rental is likely to cost a fair whack.
3 Valleys (where we are...so naturally I’m a fan)- the question I’m pondering is which of the resorts would suit you best. Maybe Le Praz- a proper old village, though the pistes back to the village are quite steep and can get icy. La Tania too, but you might find it a bit soulless. Many would suggest Meribel...if you can find somewhere to base yourself. https://www.meribel.net/en-famille/guide-les-zaventures-de-kenotte/ . It might be nicer to look at a village like Les Allues for a base though.
We’re in the Belleville valley -St Martin-a very pretty village. Not a party town, but access to the same skiing as everyone else. There’s a big indoor swimming pool 10 mins up the road in Les Menuires, and Val Thorens right at the head of the valley.
I echo the advice to look for somewhere in a real older town of village rather than a purpose built resort. They have all year round populations, and more of a community feel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ste Foy village or station with cheap season pass great off piste /ski touring and beginner slopes , Val , Tignes , Les Arcs and La Rosiere /La Thuille Italy for pizza and pasta within a short drive . Cheaper than the big stations with a sizeable expat community doing the same as yourselves , they can’t all be wrong . You will need a car to enjoy it fully however .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austria will prob give you better options for a ski town, rather than a resort.
Zell Am See would give you lots of areas around to explore.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As you discovered, St Gervais is low - as indeed is the immediately accessible ski area (not that much above 1800m) - but a congenial village to base yourself. However it has also reasonable access to the Chamonix valley with some higher skiing. You would need to make decisions about what lift passes you choose to buy, and of course some options depend on your transport.

Morzine is similarly low, but there is a bit more high altitude skiing available within the area. Not as nice a place in my opinion but I am biased (we looked at Morzine before deciding to buy a place in StG).

But generally, in your position I would choose a valley town with access to different resorts. As pointed out Bourg St Maurice for the Tarentaise resorts (though sounds worth looking at St Foy as well), Brides Les Bains for 3 Valleys (could also consider Le Praz or St Martin de Belleville).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would probably look at Serre Chevalier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any French resort with Club Med!!

Slightly expensive alright but actually pretty good value when you consider what you get and the dependably high quality
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PeakyB wrote:
@nicole.bates, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

Bourg St Maurice is a good base. Best if you have use of your own vehicle I think.

Living in a resort like Val D’Isere has advantages but is expensive. Similarly villages in the 3 Valleys.
Both can be reached from BStM for day trips.

Which country will you be living in during the next 3 months? That may affect where you’ll be allowed to visit.

Thanks PeakyB! We will be coming in from outside Schengen region so shouldn't be a problem. We were considering extending our stay past 3 months if possible. My husband and children have EU passports but I only have an American. Do you know if you can acquire a year stay visa once in France?

I will check out Bourg St Maurice. We will have a car so driving won't be a problem. It would be nice to have a good base to enjoy but close enough to explore the region. What are the season ski passes to get? Is there one that covers the entire region?

Thanks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rob Mackley, I take it you mean a short ski for La Thuile, Italy given it's a winter let Very Happy
@nicole.bates, If you decide on Bourg each mega resort has a pass so Tignes-Val D'Isere; Paradiski for Les Arcs and La Plagne; 3 Vallees.

But there is a scheme called skialcarte.fr which includes Tignes Val and Paradiski plus others but not the 3V. But you will have to check the economics of how many days skiing etc.

If you want to ski 6 days a week, if you are in BSM, then I would go for Paradiski as the skiing is accessed from the town by funicular. You can then treat yourself to days out to the others. Some of the mountain roads can be tricky mid winter and driving every day would be a bind.

Good Luck!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
Are your plans for this coming season? Despite Covid uncertainty you’ll need to get cracking to find a 3 bed apartment for 3 months. It’s too short for the full season let market and covers the french 4 week half term period in Feb. That is likely to translate into a sizeable bill. However, maybe I’m being pessimistic, as you may find an owner salivating at being fully let for a chunk of time with all this uncertainty swirling about. France is topping the leader boards in Europe for daily infections at the moment. I can’t see there being any thirst for a total lockdown again though, but there is that risk. Check your travel insurance will cover you, and buy ski passes with the Carte Neige (on mountain rescue insurance)

I suggest you approach the local estate agents (they will be listed on the resort websites) and ask what they might be able to offer..we’ve done that with some success over the years- negotiating a long term price for a place that’s otherwise a weekly rental. (Now the proud openers of a ski pad, so don’t have to).
Val D’Isere is big and lively, with no shortage of other things to do. One of the most expensive french resorts. A 3 bed rental is likely to cost a fair whack.
3 Valleys (where we are...so naturally I’m a fan)- the question I’m pondering is which of the resorts would suit you best. Maybe Le Praz- a proper old village, though the pistes back to the village are quite steep and can get icy. La Tania too, but you might find it a bit soulless. Many would suggest Meribel...if you can find somewhere to base yourself. https://www.meribel.net/en-famille/guide-les-zaventures-de-kenotte/ . It might be nicer to look at a village like Les Allues for a base though.
We’re in the Belleville valley -St Martin-a very pretty village. Not a party town, but access to the same skiing as everyone else. There’s a big indoor swimming pool 10 mins up the road in Les Menuires, and Val Thorens right at the head of the valley.
I echo the advice to look for somewhere in a real older town of village rather than a purpose built resort. They have all year round populations, and more of a community feel.

Hi Perty and thanks for all your input!

Yes, we are coming this season.

Thank you for telling us about the Cart Neige. Will definitely get that!

Good idea to speak with the local realtors. Do you have any you like in the 3 valleys region?

Thank you for all the advice on the towns! It would be nice to have a good green run close to the base as I hope to get the kids skiing independently on a nice long green by the end of the year. I agree, we'd like a town with soul and year around population. We'd also like some "family activities" outside skiing assuming covid doesn't shut everything down. We'd like to continue swim lessons, so a pool and instructors would be great. We're homeschooling our kids this year but would like them to have social interaction with other kids, exposure to French, learning from others besides us, and to give mom and dad some time to ski together sans kids:) It would be great if there was some part time drop off Montessori based program or similar. If this doesn't exist perhaps a nanny share. One the the key reasons we're going to France as opposed to another country for skiing is to improve our French as a family. I realize I'm asking a lot! Thank you so much for your help!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Rob Mackley, I take it you mean a short ski for La Thuile, Italy given it's a winter let Very Happy
@nicole.bates, If you decide on Bourg each mega resort has a pass so Tignes-Val D'Isere; Paradiski for Les Arcs and La Plagne; 3 Vallees.

But there is a scheme called skialcarte.fr which includes Tignes Val and Paradiski plus others but not the 3V. But you will have to check the economics of how many days skiing etc.

If you want to ski 6 days a week, if you are in BSM, then I would go for Paradiski as the skiing is accessed from the town by funicular. You can then treat yourself to days out to the others. Some of the mountain roads can be tricky mid winter and driving every day would be a bind.

Good Luck!

Thanks for you advice Rob! I needed this run down of which passes work where. The Paradiski pass for Les Arcs and La Plagne looks great if we stay in BSM. Thanks for telling me about the funicular in BSM to access Les Arcs skiing. Curious if covid closes down trains like this is there any other way to access the slopes - by lifts? Or maybe I'm being over cautious? How well is BSM connected to the other resorts?
snow report
The Funi has been open all summer with face masks. The only snag would be if they reduce capacity.

From BSM Ste Foy is 20 minutes. Tignes Centre is 35 mins, same for Val D. Tignes Les Brevieres with free parking is 25 minutes and although at the edge of the map it's not tricky to get into the heart of the resort. You can do La Plagne via Les Arcs and the Vanoise Express cable car. Any of the entry points to the 3V are going to be 30-40 mins.
ski holidays
@nicole.bates, The funicular is a great way to access Les Arcs. It does, however get very crowded in the morning. I use it more to access the shops and other facilities in Bourg from Les Arcs (I have an apartment in Les Arcs) and it is quick and convenient. There are regular busses to La Rosiere (free) and Val d'Isere and Tignes used by many of the station staff. Parking in the resorts can be a bit tricky to find and is rarely free particular in peak season.

If you are planning to home school your children then you should be aware of the regulations. See https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/education/homeschooling-in-france/ for a bit more information.
latest report
Thank you John - I have heard about that from France homeschooling families. We are technically on vacation there since we are there for less than 3 months so I don't think it will be a problem but I'll check into it again. That's great you can live in Les Arcs (I didn't know that). This group is so helpful! I would like to stay closer to the slopes. I take it you can access the slopes much easier from Les Arcs? Thank you!
snow conditions
@nicole.bates, The nearest lift is about 100m from our apartent and similar distance to the shops and bars. It is very conveinent. There are no runs classed as green in Les Arcs. They ony use blue, red and black with beginner areas marked as mauve, sometimes. Though the runs down to 1600 where we are based are generally on the tough side for beginners there is one, long gentle blue back from the Arpette which I reacall taking my 4 or 5 year old son down on his first week skiing.

Your main problem will be finding a big apartment. There are big apartments and chalets about (some nice looking ones in the woods above Arc1600), but I have never seen them advertised for rent and very rarely for sale even.

There may be something in Arc 1950 or Eden Arc, but I am not very familular with areas.
ski holidays
@nicole.bates, estate agents tend to be local. We used agencedesalpes.com for our rental in St Martin. They cover a good deal of our valley. Our point of contact was Audrey who was very helpful.

In relation to any agent I suggest you email and ask if they have any properties (for your stay it’s going to be the weekly holiday let ones in resorts) that the owners might do a deal on for your dates. That assumes they are not booked for the Feb school hols. Most staff in resort agencies speak English so don’t worry about trying to email “en francais”. In my experience the properties that might be available as at now are more likely to be a short drive from the lifts than bang in the resort. You might however find staying in an old converted barn or village house part of the experience however- they can be very cute!
Remember to ask if the property has a washing machine. Many holiday lets don’t! We rented this place for 2 seasons. https://www.agencedesalpes.com/annonce/appartement-saint-martin-de-belleville-les-villages-de-st-martin-chalet-dethan-1931 . It’s bigger than you need, but because of the layout (you have to go outside to go upstairs to the 3rd and 4th bedrooms) it suits a family of 4 if they use the 2 downstairs bedrooms. Based on our experience, I reckon the owners would be keen to rent longer term. It’s a pleasant 15 min stroll down into St M and in a traditional mountain village. The garden is a plus for snowman building!

Another small town that’s quite attractive but right down the mountain is Bozel. That’s a 15-20 min drive to Courchevel, but they do run a shuttle bus
https://en.valleedebozel.com/ . It’s also a short drive from Champagny en Vanoise which is part of the Paradiski area.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 20-09-20 17:51; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Another small town that’s quite attractive but down the mountain is Bozel. That’s a 15-20 min drive to Courchevel, but they do run a shuttle bus
https://en.valleedebozel.com/ . It’s also a short drive from Champagny en Vanoise which is part of the Paradiski area.

And another short drive upto Pralognan
latest report
@nicole.bates, as I guess you realise, you have a fundamental choice between accommodation in a valley town or a purpose built high altitude resort.

For a long stay like 3 months, I’d go for a valley town. More and better value shops, supermarkets, cafes, restaurants. Arguably more of a community feel, although that’s variable and subjective. Probably more spacious, less expensive, accommodation rental too.

The main downside is the need to drive to different mountains, if you want variety of skiing experience.

As much as I love Espace Killy, 3V and Paradiski, for example, I’d prefer to experience all three, rather than be based in one of them.
ski holidays
@nicole.bates,

Some useful links

https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/. It’s all true .

https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/ski/ski-passes/ Check out the season pass perks , half price tickets in La Rosiere , very useful for them trips to Italy for Pizza and Pasta .

Might be worth joining the Friends of Sainte-Foy-Tarentaise Facebook page , it’s quite a community .

I personally think although access to supermarkets and facilities in BSM its a little too in personal .
latest report
@nicole.bates, you probably have more advice here than you can cope with!

In the end you are going to have to look at the various options via google etc to make up your own mind. But it seems to me you need the following:

- Somewhere in France because you want to improve your French (lots more possibilities elsewhere)
- Somewhere with direct access to slopes suitable for your youngsters (because at their ages, you don't want additional obstacles).
- A big area on your doorstep (since you will be there all season, and that is the whole point).
- An all-year-round place where you can hopefully enjoy the community and more importantly your kids can feel happy (I would suggest you look to see whether there are schools in the place as a guide).
- Other close places you have access to, partly to increase your range, partly to get that higher altitude skiing which you but not the kids want (but I take it this is your own indulgence and a bit of driving would be OK because you are motivated).

It probably comes back to the places I mentioned earlier.
- Bourg St Maurice much discussed, direct access to Les Arcs and onwards to La Plagne (allow time for return!); easy drive/bus to La Rosiere and feasible to St Foy but more also Tignes (access to Val d'Isere). 3 valleys is more of a trek, and while possible is unlikely to be a regular trip.
- Brides Les Bains which has a long cable car to Meribel and hence the rest of Trois Vallees and would also allow reasonably easy access to Champagny (back door to La Plagne with ski access to Les Arcs); I am not sure whether the smaller villages wouldn't be a bit restricting for 3 months.
- Briancon (which I didn't think about above but is a proper town with an amazing historic quarter) with a cable car into one end of Serre Chevalier and easy link to Montgenevre and the Milky Way resorts.
- Or somewhere like St Gervais with a cable car into the shared area with Megeve, easy onward access via shuttle bus to Combloux and La Giettaz, also Les Contamines up the road on the same ski pass and Les Houches with direct access via rack-and-pinion railway (but different local pass); Chamonix is a short drive (or bus ride) away for more challenging terrain.
- And don't rule out Morzine, while I think it would feel more like a resort and less like a hometown does have a big area with the everyday excitement of skiing over the border into Switzerland; however not a good base for exploring resorts beyond the Porte du Soleil.

Good luck! There are lots of people here with local knowledge about pretty much anywhere.
snow report
It is nice to have the option of heading to any of the Tarantaise resorts if you stay in the valley bottom, however, realistically you need to consider the cost of lift passes. I can only speak for the 3V, but once you get to about 30 days on the slopes the only financially sensible option is a season pass. Here are the costs https://www.les3vallees.com/en/ski-pass/season-pass/ . You could go for a Liberty pass which is a sort of pay as you ski pass which is better value up till the 29th day, I think.
So, if you head to the Tarantaise my advice is probably to focus on one big ski area (they are huge, you won’t get bored) and take the odd side trip.
Having said that, St Foy, as recommenced, may be a good bet. I’ve skied there a few days with a friend who has a place there. Very friendly, small ski area, but excellent off piste and Val d’Isere is up the road if you want to spread your wings.
snow report
I really like Praz de lys - Sommand in the French Alps around the corner from Avoriaz and Morzine.
The build up towards the harder slopes makes it the perfect learning resort. The ski instructors are excellent and know the mountains really well, the lifts are cheaper than the big resorts whilst still giving a large skiing area and most importantly it is where I learnt to ski.
The night life is fairly non existent but if it's a family holiday there are restaurants and a small supermarket in Praz De Lys. It's the jewel nestled in the Alp crown, also you get a killer view of Mont Blanc on a clear day
https://printsbery.com/cards

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 29-09-20 4:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
First of all I would like to correct: It's not "carte neige", it's "Carre Neige". In Europeen Alpes the rescue is not for free, so you can buy "carre neige" together with your skipass. https://carreneige.com/en/

Every year I regularly go for skiing to Val d'isere. In every aspect it's the best skiing resort in Europe. Val d'isere is a "family plus" ski resort, you will find pleanty of thing for your kids. Please check what does it mean "family plus ski resort".

To find best place to stay in Val d'isere check and contact the following sites:
Val d'isere tourisme office: https://reservation.valdisere.com
http://www.valdisere-agence.com
https://www.simplyvaldisere.com/
https://www.chalettime.com/en/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nicole.bates wrote:
Thank you for reading! Hope I'm posting in the correct area.

We’re beyond excited to spend a ski season in France! We’re a family of 4 - two kiddos looking for the best ski town to spend January to March. We are looking for:
- High enough elevation to get quality snow (I'm from Colorado and gotta get some powder Smile
- Quality amount of terrain
- Family friendly - other activities outside skiing
- Beginner and expert terrain/off piste.
- Not extremely expensive (accommodation, lift passes, meals, town in general)
I've done a bit of research so far and here is what I found. Saint Gervias looked like a good one until I saw that it was lower and may not get great snow. Port Du Soleil has been recommended a lot, specifically Morizine. I like how large it is, how about snow quality? Of course Les Trois valleys is massive - any one recommend it? Finally, I was in Val D'Isere but it was like 15 years ago pre-kids. I loved it but how is it for a ski town? As you can see we're very open Smile We take any and all recommendations.

Bonus if anyone knows of any apartments available for the season - that’s our next step! Looking for a 3 bedroom, does not have to be right at the lift, a quite area is perfect for us. We're looking to arrive in the beginning of January (after new years week) and stay until the end of March. We're a nice normal family that will take good care of your ski chalet!

Also if there are any other families doing this our kiddos (4 and 6 years old) will be looking for friends. Smile

I would base yourself in Bourg Saint Maurice. It will be reasonable value and has direct access to Les Arcs (7mins on funicular). You can also drive to Val D'Isere, Tignes etc. La Plagne can be skied to from Les Arcs.

Les Arcs is a fantastic ski resort for beginners as the blues go right up to high altitude. I taught my wife to ski in Les Arcs 1800 and now we return every year. We ski for a week in Feb half term and the queues are good and it costs us very little by booking everything ourselves.

One year we stayed in Bourg and it got tiresome carting kit to the top each time, but it is much cheaper for accomodation than being in resort so its a trade off you need to think about. Bourg has great restaurants and bars and a large supermarket etc.

You can access Bourg by train which is an added bonus - no 2 hour bus journey in.
snow report
cleanton wrote:
First of all I would like to correct: It's not "carte neige", it's "Carre Neige". In Europeen Alpes the rescue is not for free, so you can buy "carre neige" together with your skipass. https://carreneige.com/en/
/

@cleanton, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Just to point out that there is a "carte neige" as well as a "carré neige". Since you mentioned Val d'Isere here's what their website https://www.seevaldisere.com/ski-insurance says about insurance, quote " The Carré Neige insurance or similarly named ‘Carte Neige’ insurance are highly effective methods of insuring for accidents in winter sporting activities. Both types of cover differ from your average ‘winter policy’, since a host of sporting activities, including skiing both on and off piste skiing are covered at no additional premium.
A carte neige and a carré neige policy will avoid the need to pay for piste rescue, however medical and pharmacy bills will need to be settled direct with the provider and claimed back later which can involve hefty form filling and many phone calls! If you are a European citizen you may be asked to claim some reimbursement first on your EHIC card.
A Carré Neige is bought in conjunction with your lift pass and is available at rate of around €2.80 per day. However, if you are staying for longer than a couple of weeks then it is possible to purchase the card on an annual basis, which is then called a Carte Neige." Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@nicole.bates, welcome!
John E as above has a place in Arc 1600 just at the top of the funicular, I have a place in 1950, which is about 10km further up the mountain, but accessible easily on skis from John's village (ie you go over the top, rather than round the long way!).

When visiting for a fortnight, then of course we go to our apartment. S'nice, but if I was there for three months, I'd want to try skiing somwhere else too. So last season I did a week in Bourg, in order to get easy access to the other Tarantaise resorts as mentioned. Rather than driving for 30 mins out of one resort prior to starting up to the next. It was very straightforward, with entry points to each domain being very accessible by road. It was very cost effective, both for accommodation and food / entertainment. We loved it, and will try it again sometime soon.

We used the "Ski a la carte" pass option, which only charges for the days you use ( and 10% off day rate - which isn't as good as a weekly or season pass but in its favour: covers Val d'Isere, Tignes, Arcs and Plagne, gives a discount in Rosiere, gives 9th day for 1€, plus every 4th subsequent day.
For St Foy, collect supermarket receipts, and go on a Wednesday...
You also get the Carte Neige insurance for about €20 for the season through that scheme.

Very jealous of your chances - greatmove on your part , and the kids will love you forever!

If you do want to be slopeside, then St foy is a good shout
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
cleanton wrote:
/

@cleanton, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Just to point out that there is a "carte neige" as well as a "carré neige". Since you mentioned Val d'Isere here's what their website https://www.seevaldisere.com/ski-insurance says about insurance, quote " The Carré Neige insurance or similarly named ‘Carte Neige’ insurance are highly effective methods of insuring for accidents in winter sporting activities. Both types of cover differ from your average ‘winter policy’, since a host of sporting activities, including skiing both on and off piste skiing are covered at no additional premium.
A carte neige and a carré neige policy will avoid the need to pay for piste rescue, however medical and pharmacy bills will need to be settled direct with the provider and claimed back later which can involve hefty form filling and many phone calls! If you are a European citizen you may be asked to claim some reimbursement first on your EHIC card.
A Carré Neige is bought in conjunction with your lift pass and is available at rate of around €2.80 per day. However, if you are staying for longer than a couple of weeks then it is possible to purchase the card on an annual basis, which is then called a Carte Neige." Madeye-Smiley

"La société Val d'Isère Téléphériques" sells only "carré neige". It's combined with their skipass.
snow report
@cleanton, The Val d'Isère Club des Sports sells Carte Neige.
snow report
My suggestion is a 3V season pass and stay in 1650, much better value than 1850.
Spend the money you save on Belair lunches.
snow report
Pralognan wrote:
My suggestion is a 3V season pass and stay in 1650, much better value than 1850.
Spend the money you save on Belair lunches.

Agree with the 3V’s recommendation. How does 1650 compare to La Tania for a seasonnaire experience?
snow conditions
1650 is a little village, La Tania was a purpose built mini complex for the Albertville Olympics, nice enough in some ways, but young children would enjoy skiing back to 1650 base, much more than skiing back to La Tania.
More to see and do in 1650.
For a season La Tania might feel quite limited for a young family.
snow report
I should have added that 1650 has a green run and a varied blue run, also Indiens which will be my last ski run before I die.
All these get you back to 1650 base. Your children will love them.
snow report
I did a season in VT many years ago and loved skiing over to Courchevel and that piste below Bel Air. Pistes into 1850 also perfect for kids.
latest report
@nicole.bates, “1650” if you’re not quite following the rather cryptic posts above, is Courchevel 1650, now officially known as Courchevel Moriond. It’s a truly excellent part of the 3V for beginners and kids. The runs down to the village are wide and gentle, and the whole ski area above the village is great for them too. A top choice...if you can find somewhere to stay!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy