Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI vs IASI

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a L1 instructor course at Hemel for the IASI qualification.

Not looking for a discussion around whether or not doing instructor qualifications is or isn't the right move for me.

Are there any thoughts on how recognised the IASI qualification is in the alps? L3 and L4 get you the ISIA Card and Euro Ski Pro. Do ski schools recognise the qualification with no issues?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s pretty much the same recognition, and covers the same skills, most of the trainers are ex basi.

I have taught with iasi 2 in Spain without issues.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In practice there is no significant difference in how the qualifications are recognised. If a ski schools likes you and wants to employ you they will recognise your qualification.

The theory at the moment is that under the EU's regulations for the mutual recognition of professional qualifications a qualification issued by one EU member nation is automatically recognised as equivalent to the same qualification offered by another EU member nation. For that reason qualifications issued by the Irish association and the British association are automatically recognised. That changes once the UK completely leaves the EU as British qualifications will no longer have the automatic right of recognition, it is up to each EU nation to decide individually how it wishes to recognise qualifications from non-EU nations. I'd guess that in the longer term there will be some sort of agreement on recognition of qualifications, but that won't happen immediately and will perhaps take longer to reach agreement if the UK, as seems likely, walks away from the EU with no trade deal in place for 1 January 2021.

The bigger issue for ski instructors is not recognition of qualifications but working rights in EU nations.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One difference between the respective memberships is professional liability insurance, which is (or was?) included in the BASI membership fee.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Sounds like nothing to worry about going through IASI, apart from possibly having to sort out my own insurance at some point, although possibly only if working for myself/own a ski school, as working for someone i'd be covered?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, most ski schools would still require you to have your own insurance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, If you are thinking of L3 or L4 so you can work independently I wouldn't underestimate the Liability insurance costs... Also IASI have a very very limited number of courses at L3 and 4 compared to BASI.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy