Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for son with bog feet

Poster: A snowHead
I know, the best ski boots are the ones that fit, and don't but online etc.. however due to covid, we don't want to be browsing around ski shops!
My son is 12 and has size 27.5/28 feet... he is confident on reds/off piste but not overly aggressive, so I am looking for recommendations for a fairly soft flexing boot that might work for him (he is 'only 50kg, so most adult boots will be very stiff for him).

Last season he had a pair of Salomon quest access 70 jnr boots, which fitted really well, but now are too small.

There are adult qst access 70 boots available - what is the difference between Male and female boots?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Other than being "girlified" most female boots have a wider and lower cuff than the equivalent mens boot. I'm not sure if there would be much choice at 27.5/28 .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry I cannot help, but I like the concept of "bog feet" enabling your son to run across bogs without sinking in. Or is it "trench foot"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Accurate length measurement? Forefoot width? Heel width? Instep height? Volume? Calf size? Pronation? Supination? Dorsiflexion? Shell fit?

End of thread!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I like the concept of "bog feet"

I had immediate visions of hobbits.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds to me like he is a recreational holiday skier. I'd think you'll only be going skiing when/if the aforementioned Covid issues are resolved, therefore you can go to a shop and get him sorted properly.
Also, as he is only 12 I would guess he will continue to grow, if he is only a 1, 2, 3 week a year skier perhaps renting is best until he is grown.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tele, some thoughts - and I am not judging.

I completely understand the position you are in and that you do not want to be browsing ski shops due to covid. Yet buying a pair of ski boots for a 12 year old that are likely to only last for a year or two as his feet grow and he likely bulks up makes no sense unless you are planning to use them this year?

If you're planning to travel this year then for skiing then either buy in store in the resort - expensive but you'll get the right product or visit a store when they open in December?

Also worth noting that there are ways to soften up a boot permanently by cutting out plastic though not the option you should go for bit more a last resort.

I would recommend you read through this thread there are some very good suggestions as solutions: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/304513-Pre-teen-ski-boots-for-large-Feet
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Accurate length measurement? Forefoot width? Heel width? Instep height? Volume? Calf size? Pronation? Supination? Dorsiflexion? Shell fit?

End of thread!

For kids? It's struck me with kids that they seem vastly more tolerant of boot fit than adults.

With one exception, every pair of boots I've put my kids in has been absolutely fine - that must be about 20 pairs in total now. In addition, we've lent boots to friends kids dozens of times, and they also rented from the local shop, and EVERY time it's been fine.

Same with the local ski club - the kids are all in whatever boot/ski combo they've been offered a deal on - even the ones who are on the podium. Whilst a typical snowhead might be obsessing about the difference between a 110 and 120 flex boot, a 14ti and a 16ti ski, and how many layers of wax to put on, I'm pretty sure almost all of them would be absolutely destroyed on a set of gates by a kid with secondhand unwaxed skis and boots bought unseen off the internet...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, ha! Our experience too. Pretty much any boot has been skied in (rental , bought 2nd hand untried except for making sure mondo was there or there abouts) with the exception of one pair. And second hand skis bought have been skied.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowdave wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

End of thread!

For kids? It's struck me with kids that they seem vastly more tolerant of boot fit than adults.

With one exception, every pair of boots I've put my kids in has been absolutely fine - that must be about 20 pairs in total now. In addition, we've lent boots to friends kids dozens of times, and they also rented from the local shop, and EVERY time it's been fine.

Same with the local ski club - the kids are all in whatever boot/ski combo they've been offered a deal on - even the ones who are on the podium. Whilst a typical snowhead might be obsessing about the difference between a 110 and 120 flex boot, a 14ti and a 16ti ski, and how many layers of wax to put on, I'm pretty sure almost all of them would be absolutely destroyed on a set of gates by a kid with secondhand unwaxed skis and boots bought unseen off the internet...

Directionally I agree but have to say my kids (who have very narrow feet) get very grumpy if boots are too roomy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tele, has he really got feet that size or are you taking that from the shoes you buy him, most kids boys especially are wearing shoes which are too big, but that aside most youth boots go up to 27.5 if not 28.5 to that should be a problem , bigger issue is his height as if he is proportionate to his foot length then chances are a low cuff (youth) boot is going to be too short so that needs to be considered

as to what boot, cant tell you, i dont have his feet in front of me but there are plenty of options in soft flexing adult boots out there
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave said

The kids have what the adult punters dont ...flexion/flexibility .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And little soft bones which don't complain when they are being punished by ill-fitting footwear?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, + 1 *100
Exactly our experience - along with some vintage parenting skills :
"What d'ya mean they don't fit? You've got 'em on haven't you!"
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@WindOfChange, Very Happy

Strangely, both my kids are fussy about climbing shoe fit, and less tolerant than me in that respect, so I don't think it's just a kid/adult feet thing.
latest report
Quote:

Strangely, both my kids are fussy about climbing shoe fit

Whereas it is possibe to ski in boots that are too big it is almost impossible to climb in climbing shoes that are too big
latest report
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2535651376560114/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Accurate length measurement? Forefoot width? Heel width? Instep height? Volume? Calf size? Pronation? Supination? Dorsiflexion? Shell fit? End of thread!
..... meanwhile, back in the real world.. I grew up with 3rd or 4th hand equipment but still felt very lucky to be able to ski regularly and so far my son and daughter have always had ebay boots with no complaints. Yes, a pair of £500 boots with a professional fit of the intuition liner and superfeet footbeds will be 'better' - I simply can't afford (or even want) to pay for that for a 12 year old kid. We ski as a fun family activity and I have no wish to bring my kids up to think that they need to obsesse over having the 'best' equipment to be able to participate (much like my parents did).
My son usually skis 20-25 days per year in Scotland so rental boots isn't really a viable option and we have no plans to go abroad.

I have measured his feet and the left one is 27.5cm, right one just under 28.0cm

Thanks for the (sensible) replies so far - I just wandered if anyone knew of any adult boots that might be suitable for a young'un with massive feet! Ladies and junior boots don't seem to go up that big.
snow conditions
@tele, my son (c. mondo 27, 13y/o, 45ish kg) uses Tecnica Cochise jr which is a kids touring boot. They go up to 28.5, and are currently about E200 on various discount sites like Sport Conrad.

He normally fits Lange boots, and moved from a 26.5 Lange RSJ65 to a 27.5 Cochise.
ski holidays
tele wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
Accurate length measurement? Forefoot width? Heel width? Instep height? Volume? Calf size? Pronation? Supination? Dorsiflexion? Shell fit? End of thread!
..... meanwhile, back in the real world.. I grew up with 3rd or 4th hand equipment but still felt very lucky to be able to ski regularly and so far my son and daughter have always had ebay boots with no complaints. Yes, a pair of £500 boots with a professional fit of the intuition liner and superfeet footbeds will be 'better' - I simply can't afford (or even want) to pay for that for a 12 year old kid. We ski as a fun family activity and I have no wish to bring my kids up to think that they need to obsesse over having the 'best' equipment to be able to participate (much like my parents did).
My son usually skis 20-25 days per year in Scotland so rental boots isn't really a viable option and we have no plans to go abroad.

I have measured his feet and the left one is 27.5cm, right one just under 28.0cm

Thanks for the (sensible) replies so far - I just wandered if anyone knew of any adult boots that might be suitable for a young'un with massive feet! Ladies and junior boots don't seem to go up that big.

Laughing Laughing

I did find that response somewhat sharp, especially from someone with a retail connection, hardly likely to encourage one to approach that store for friendly advice leading to purchases.

I realise you're not keen on visiting shops at the moment however if the Covid situation gets to the point where it's good enough to consider a ski holiday I'd consider a look at Decathlon if there's one near you. They seem to have a pretty broad selection available and are fairly well priced, part season great even more so as you'd expect.
snow report
jedster wrote:

Directionally I agree but have to say my kids (who have very narrow feet) get very grumpy if boots are too roomy.

boot fitting for kids: how many pairs of socks do you need to keep the boot on your feet ?
latest report
davidof wrote:
jedster wrote:

boot fitting for kids: how many pairs of socks do you need to keep the boot on your feet ?

insoles as well, don't forget the double insoles!

From age 4-8, my kids started each season with double insoles, which were reduced to single partway through the season.
snow conditions
tele wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

The information you need is in my post above, but being as you ignored it and are now taking measurements you won’t kneed any more advice

Good luck
latest report
It is was normal shoes I'd typically go a size up to allow for growth but if we're assuming these are just for the next 4 months you can probably get way without doing that. Probably best to allow for a bit of growth though.

The chances are his feet might be slimmer than usual at that age (but I haven't a clue about how feet change really), this is where the bootfitters advice would be useful. If you can measure his feet width it will at least give an indication what sort of boots stand a chance of being a reasonably decent fit.
snow report
CEM wrote:

The information you need is in my post above, but being as you ignored it and are now taking measurements you won’t kneed any more advice

Good luck

Erm, not really sure what I have ignored - you asked if his feet were really that size, so I measured them (as you advised ) and now you seem to be all bent out of shape because I measured his feet?? rolling eyes I have had a look at several manufacturers website and am yet to find a youth boot (other than a race fit, or £££) that goes bigger than 27.5 (usually 26.5).
Other than that, I must have missed your advice.

I will try and have a look online next week when I might have some spare time. His feet are fairly wide, but I won't measure them incase it upsets somebody Confused
snow conditions
Did you look at the facebook link I posted above?
snow report
So......he's 12, he weighs 50kg, size 27/28 feet and is how tall?

1) Age is important, I seriously doubt he's a size 28, for the following reasons, he don't weigh enough to need such big feet. At 12 he's preparing his body for adulthood. It's unlikely his bones are that long, more that the heavy production of elastin in his body means his feet are being measure weighted and are completely flat. The production of elastin in the body allows growth, and is present in all joints. As 25% of his joints are in his body and the foot is bearing the load of the increase in bone density and growth it's most likemy the reason for sudden and apparent extra foot length (not growth, but flattening.) A good footbed that can be adjusted will help reduce this, but be careful as of when the bones actually do start growing. A good footbed is not made by tools, it's made by a good understanding of mechanics, a precise eye and hands.

2) On average, with juniors we double their weight to get an approximate flex. 50kg =100nm. My son is 9, weighs 35kg size 22mondo, and is 140cm tall he's in a Lange RS 70. Height and weight need to be considered, if his feet are indeed 28, i would hope he has the height to support this claim. If the case, the leverage he uses to bend the boot will be huge, for this maybe therefore a 110flex boot.

Boot construction is key, 2 piece/3 piece, with or without walk mode to be sure the boot works.

A previous post mentions running from an Lange RSJ65 to a Tecnica Cochise. The RSJ is in no way a ski boot, it has no resistance or rebound, it lacks the fundamental design principal of a ski boot. The Cochise is a proper ski boot with a walk mec, which means the resistance there is not only "actual" but it is infact over stiff as the walk mec interferes with true flex and rebound. Comparing these two boots is night and day, thankfully the JNR is now at least in a boot with resistance.

We sell mostly JNR WC shells to all JNRs, with a proper flex coming from the overlap between clog and coller. That can be tweaked to within a couple of resistance points to accommodate growth, weight and how technically good the skier is.

Buy well, get some skilled advice, and spend the money. We have a program for our adult clients whereby they can buy their kids boots at cost, thus eliminating the desire to "buy big, grow into them" syndrome. Good luck
latest report
@tele, re CH20's first paragraph: try measuring his foot unweighted.

There's also a safety issue to consider. Ski bindings work by the boot pushing/pulling them open to release. And the boot is pushed/pulled by the foot. Buying too big can cause safety issues as the foot/lower leg can torque-up excessively instead of transferring that force earlier to the inside of the shell. I've been contacted on numerous occasions to test bindings that have allegedly caused injury to kids and it all cases the bindings worked fine and were set-up correctly but in the majority of cases the boot fit was more like a wellie. One kid who'd had a spiral tibia fracture (who's Dad was an orthopaedic surgeon who was looking to sue) admitted that he could pull his boot off without unbuckling them! Just because many have gotten away with it doesn't make it a good thing to do.

I'd suggest that it'd be useful to have a working knowledge of the criteria I'd listed in my earlier post as even if you're buying 3rd or 4th hand you can still ensure that he's getting the best possible fit as all boots have published last widths/shapes/volumes etc. If he's that tall with that foot size he's in an adult boot meaning that there's a wide range of fit options available. And if you're buying used you could still change his boots every year at very little cost as the old boots get flipped for nigh on what you paid for them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just turned 12 years old,
51kg,
172cm tall,
Unweighted foot measurements (no socks on) : left 27.5cm, right 27.9cm

That is all legitimate- I stand to gain nothing by making up his foot size.. he has always been very tall for his age and has really long toes. I can fit my own feet into his shoes - a little tight but I could wear them..
ski holidays
I can hardly believe the title of this thread still refers to "bog feet" Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy