Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Resorts near Innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
I took advantage of the Easyjet sale and got some cheap flights next feb. We usually go to Serfaus but want to try and save some pennies and look at other options. Not Lech or Solden.

The wish list:

- Reliable snow record

- Good sized area, but really important is good accessible off piste/steeps/trees etc to keep the teenagers entertained and challenged.

- Somewhere where there is enough for non skiing OH to do off the slopes, and ideally a pedestrian lift pass so we can meet for lunch

- Very happy to try somewhere under the radar, perhaps where a British tour operator doesn’t go

snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paznaun Valley. See, Kappl, Ischgl, Galtur.
All on one pass, Stay in Galtur, use the bus to access the other resorts. Everything covered on the one pass gives you about 400km of posted runs, plus masses opportunities. The three smaller areas (Galtur, See, Kappl) are the best, lots of variety quiet resorts, easy access for pedestrians (points card) gondolas take you to mid-mountain if you want to meet for a spot of lunch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Guernseyfreerider, saving money is probably the biggest challenge. I doubt any of the larger places will be any cheaper than Serfaus if at all. The Paznauntal is a perfectly good option, though the pisted areas outside of Ischgl are fairly small, St Anton is obvious but February is peak season, Zillertal another option but again peak season. Maybe one place to look at is Kuhtai but not much to do other than ski. Ski Welt / Kitzbühel / Saalbach etc might be a bit tame. The Dolomites work well from Innsbruck, though possibly a bit too piste orientated from your perspective. There are a number of smaller areas clustered around Innsbruck, in the right conditions each of them can give some good skiing (check out @clarky999 's posts) but not sure that is really what you are after. It might be worth getting hold of a copy of "Where to ski in Austria" (and Italy) https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/the-book/ as they cover most of the places.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
st johann tirol
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guernseyfreerider wrote:

The wish list:

- Reliable snow record

- Good sized area, but really important is good accessible off piste/steeps/trees etc to keep the teenagers entertained and challenged.

- Somewhere where there is enough for non skiing OH to do off the slopes, and ideally a pedestrian lift pass so we can meet for lunch

- Very happy to try somewhere under the radar, perhaps where a British tour operator doesn’t go

snowHead

Stay in Innsbruck and hit up a bunch of the local resorts? Would seem to tick all boxes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You don’t want it, but your wishlist says Lech
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, would love to do Lech but just don’t think we’re going to get a hotel with all the trimmings at a Serfaus price.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munich_irish wrote:
Saalbach etc might be a bit tame.

Although Fieberbrunn (part of of greater Saalbach area) certainly wouldn't be given it's a FWT destination. And that whole Saalbach area has loads of good trees and off-piste for non-professional mortals, too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Guernseyfreerider, @Langerzug would know more but I believe there are still some "value for money" places left in Lech. You might want to look at Pettneu, a good deal less expensive than staying in St Anton itself but just as easy (maybe easier) to access the skiing as many outlying parts of St Anton.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Guernseyfreerider, which hotel were you in in Serfaus?
I will gladly check for some similar options in Lech
Ever considered “Hotel-Garni” (hotel with breakfast, no dinner)
Lech offers quite a few with great **** facilities, and in general it is much more economical than half board. (Including the restaurant cost of course)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about staying in Landeck at the Hotel Enzian and go on their Ski Safari ..they will take you to Serfaus on one of the days ... but they minibus you to the good spots around there and your guided.
I've not been there myself ...always wanted to go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Their site seems down Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, thanks, yeah been looking at some of those. I did find a decent offer in Zürs but not sure if it’s an ideal base for my OH. I usually stay at Fritz when I’m with my friends but wanted something with a few more facilities if she is spending time there. We head out 6th Feb so although it is peak time I think we avoid the UK half term clash.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, thanks might be a good option for my Freeride group snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Guernseyfreerider, ah, Fritz, so you know a bit about Lech already.
Been to Fritz too once. Friendly place, but a bit too much free schnaps after dinner to our liking.
Zürs....already getting depressed thinking for your non skiing OH
In Lech, have a look at Hotel-Garni Schranz. Slightly more expensive than Fritz, but also higher level, very elegant, yet low-key, stunning new wellness with small pool, and last but not least: ski-in/out
Great and reasonable HB options: Hotel Omesberg and Hotel Formarin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 7-04-20 20:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Langerzug wrote:

a bit too much free schnaps after dinner to our liking

Is such a thing possible Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@munich_irish, the waiter was joining in all the time, at every table...
snow report
@Langerzug, Andreas the owner likes a lock in wink

I was at the Kristberg in Jan for a weekend but price is too lumpy for a week next feb. Think you’re right about Zürs, always enjoy the drive through it wink

Thanks for recommendations will check them out
ski holidays
@Guernseyfreerider, Kristberg...the Egon Zimmermann temple... rolling eyes
Think a luxury hotel-garni might work for you and your OH
Definitely more economical, you just need to make sure you make your restaurant-reservations.
But you need to start writing emails asap. Places like the Schranz have a lot of stammgäste Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I really enjoyed staying the town of Mayrhofen down in the valley (about an hour's drive from Innsbruck).
It does offer easy access to the mountains, cable cars, etc.
The hike up Ahornspitze is right nearby with easy access from the Ahornbahn cable car
onplanners
latest report
I ski Innsbruck a ton in the winter, first time there I’d stay local, fantastic skiing if you hire a car for transport all within easy reach.
ski holidays
the_doc wrote:
I ski Innsbruck a ton in the winter, first time there I’d stay local, fantastic skiing if you hire a car for transport all within easy reach.

Really like that idea - on my bucket list!
snow report
Landeck as DrDawn suggested would be a good shout. Jump on the train and you're soon in St Anton. Jump on the bus and you've got a choice of See, Kappl, Ischgl/Samnaun/Galture.
snow conditions
Are you planning on hiring a car to get to resort? If so then the Zillertal would be a good choice, Mayrhofen is a pleasant enough town with stuff to do and there's better skiing options at Zell and Kaltenbach. Or you could drive over the Brenner and go to the Dolomites. I think Selva would work well for you, nice town, big ski area and reasonable prices.
ski holidays
Been in Mayrhofen for a while, anyone fancy visiting in the winter pm me and I’ll show you around.
snow conditions
@the_doc, Careful, I might take you up on that. How much is a day ticket?
snow conditions
oooh, not 100% sure, I usually get the Tirol card for the season
snow report
The Zillertal has some amazing backcountry skiing though, maybe we should organise a couple of Whitedot demo days where I show some peeps around??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:
The Zillertal has some amazing backcountry skiing though, maybe we should organise a couple of Whitedot demo days where I show some peeps around??

I'd definitely be up for that. I can probably persuade a few other too – at the very least, I have access to a few local ski/snowboard groups depending on how much organisation you want to go in for.
snow report
Oh it’s just an idea, I’m there for most of the season so if people wanted to meet up?? Usually got a bundle of interesting skis and we have the test centre at the green room shop in town as well.
snow conditions
@the_doc, what’s the off piste like in Mayrhofen itself?
snow report
Decent tbh, plenty of options off the lifts, and with little effort, say 45min skin/hike lots of lines to be had. Only prob is that it can be quite warm as it’s not the highest, but it’s also steep enough for most people as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy