Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Bring it on...

http://youtube.com/v/A32smOHyfy4
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, looks pretty deep!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of the staff on the lifts accept a buff. The Gendarmes patrol the mid station at Les Ruinettes they are happy to hand out a mask.

Quote:

rungsp wrote:
@BobinCH, is there a specific type of face mask that has to be worn on lifts at the moment?
The surgical style? Or are fabric ones OK...what about a buff pulled up??

I use a surgical mask but saw plenty of fabric ones. I don’t think Buffs are accepted?

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Canons running. Looks skiable all the way to town
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, looks pretty deep!!

That was a bit cheeky. From 10 years ago to the day....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
Bring it on...
Nice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, @Sharkymark, am I missing something? He's not a good skier??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@8611, we were just being climbing pedants
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
8611 wrote:
@BobinCH, @Sharkymark, am I missing something? He's not a good skier??

Yep I think he’s an ex Pro Freerider and has a great reputation as a coach
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hence my surprise at how bad the skiing is in the video??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@scrooger At the moment, La Tzoumaz is only open weekends to use the link to Verbier, although I notice from the webcam that a few people may be skiing the pistes (I'd not recommend that myself, given I suspect your skipass assurance won't cover you for closed segments and your UK travel insurer wouldn't either, I imagine).

La Tzoumaz always varies in the run-up to Christmas Week, and not just due to snow cover. Even if they have great snow conditions they can sometimes still decide to keep it shut, r open only the upper slopes, to preserve the snow for the critical Christmas/New Year period. However, this year they seem to have been able to use the new snowguns effectively, so the main runs down look OK. On a scale of 0-5 I'd say piste snow cover in the Savoleyres sector looks like a '2' - OK, but a bit thin. Hopefully, the snow forecast for Wednesday will make it more '3' or even '4' and they'll open the pistes.

Key thing for La Tzoumites going over to Verbier is whether the Mayentzet chair is running (just beyond Carrefour) or not*. If it is running, then you can by-pass the Médran base (see BobInCH's photos today) by going to Mayentzet.

There are a number of routes to Mayentzet from Savoleyres. If there's no avalanche danger, you just ski down directly through 'The Gate' (at 1:12 in the video) on the 'Route Planards-Carrefour':

http://youtube.com/v/8_d-LgkoDmA?t=7

Just watch out for snowmobiles coming up the track en route to the namasté restaurant/café. And at the end, keep an eye out for people waiting for the navette back to Savoleyres Sud who forget, or don't realise, that skiers are arriving out of the woods at speed. The short run to the Mayentzet chair just is the other side of the row of people.
And the 'Verbier4Vallees' app is good for quick access to the various webcams, which can be useful, although otherwise a bit lame IMO.

But if there is avalanche danger, then The Gate is shut and you have to ski down to the right, to the road. There, you can walk the 100m up to the bus stop and hop on the bus to Carrefour and ski the short distance to Mayentzet. Or you can ski on down through the Learner Slope, cross the road at the bottom (there's a fabric ski track embedded in the tarmac, so you don't need to take your skis off), and get the drag up to Mayentzet. If you don't want to do either if these, or for some reason the slopes are shut, then at the La Tzoumaz-Savoleyres summit, you transfer to the downhill gondola, to the Savoleyres Sud base in Verbier. Then get the navette to Mayentzet (buses go to to other destinations, so get the right one).

So clearly, it's a very good idea when you get off the gondola at Savoleyres summit, to take a look at the map display board and see whether the liaison Planards-Carrefour is open.

*If the Mayentzet chair isn't running, then you have to go to Médran. You get the fast gondola up from La Tzoumaz to Savoleyres, transfer to the slow gondola down to Savoleyres Sud in Verbier, and get the navette bus to Médran.

Tips:
Savoleyres is pronounced "Savv-oh-lairs"
The best weather forecast is from the national MeteoSwiss - download the 'MeteoSwiss' App and set La Tzoumaz as a location. It also has a good weather animation.
The Geneva Airport 'GVApp' is also useful for flight notifications and delays etc.
The Verbier app is 'Verbier4Vallees' and useful for quick access to the webcams, but otherwise is a bit lame IMO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pistes in good nick but busy!

Fun to be had off the sides

Angulation

Sun popped it’s head out

Pow riders

http://youtube.com/v/m7ZQtQyy4vA
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

If you are still up fancy a beer later?

Alex

@BobinCH,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ajm1982 wrote:
Hi

If you are still up fancy a beer later?

Alex

@BobinCH,

Thanks for the offer but with the kids today. Another time if you’re here for the season?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Pistes in good nick but busy!

It does seem busy. Is there not congestion / bunching then at the lifts at the bottom? Or have they put something / someone in place?
ski holidays
@bob, I found decent accom in Nendaz for next weekend - do you think more lifts / slopes will open over the forthcoming week?
latest report
Seems they’re slowly learning it might be a good idea to manage the optics of big queues...
snow report
I get the impression that the CEO of Téléverbier had one of those 'Frank and Fair Exchange of Views' calls from the President of the Valais yesterday. Along the lines of the President telling the CEO to 'get it ****** sorted by tomorrow!'. I assume the CEO didn't want 'to spend more time with his family' - hence the far more effective measure in place today.
latest report
The police were at the bottom of Médran at 9am this morning. It wasn’t terribly busy though - a steady stream of people but no real queue. Felt busy on the mountain though.
latest report
it seems Verbier missed the recent snowfalls in the East of Switzerland
latest report
Yup, Wengen to Laax and St Moritz got 1-2ft over the weekend.
snow report
Still got 25cm but nothing like Engelberg / Andermatt with almost 1m
ski holidays
@Dravot The MéteoSwiss forecast for Verbier 1500m is for 2mm light snow Wednesday and Friday, then 24mm heavy snow Saturday. This should translate to somewhat more at higher altitude. I'd suggest you download the MeteoSwiss weather app for the best data/forecast, and this is the national meteorological institute that collects the base data everyone else uses anyway. The 'Animations' is good at showing what snow is on the way over the next 48 hours. You could add Nendaz to the list of preferred locations and program alerts as well.
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
@bob, I found decent accom in Nendaz for next weekend - do you think more lifts / slopes will open over the forthcoming week?

Sorry no experience of Nendaz opening. There is enough snow and more forecast at the weekend, and you should be able to get over to Verbier by the connection, at least at the weekends, but for more than that you’d have to ask Tele-Nendaz. Personally I’d stick with Le Châble or Verbier where you can be more certain of the lift situation and more pistes open at altitude. Good chance they’ll open down to Mayentzet next weekend, as well as having the Attelas / Lac des Vaux / La Chaux areas open.
snow report
That's brilliant many thanks. Is it just the snow/weather that will determine lifts opening or are there others factors?
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Dravot wrote:

Sorry no experience of Nendaz opening. There is enough snow and more forecast at the weekend, and you should be able to get over to Verbier by the connection, at least at the weekends, but for more than that you’d have to ask Tele-Nendaz. Personally I’d stick with Le Châble or Verbier where you can be more certain of the lift situation and more pistes open at altitude. Good chance they’ll open down to Mayentzet next weekend, as well as having the Attelas / Lac des Vaux / La Chaux areas open.

Many thanks - really useful
latest report
@Dravot, at the moment the official Nendaz website says

"Liaison avec Verbier par Chassoure : le week-end (la semaine à confirmer selon les conditions météo)"

So the official line is that weekday opening depends only on the weather. But practically I would think business factors play a big role too.
ski holidays
Snow conditions combined with staff contracts. It looks from this that other than Plan de Fou - Siviez, the main Nendaz (Tracouet) and Siviez areas are not scheduled to open until 19th Dec. Mont Fort sector on 12th Dec.

https://nendaz.ch/fr/domaine-skiable/pratique/horaires-hiver/horaires-hiver.htm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Snow conditions combined with staff contracts. It looks from this that other than Plan de Fou - Siviez, the main Nendaz (Tracouet) and Siviez areas are not scheduled to open until 19th Dec. Mont Fort sector on 12th Dec.

https://nendaz.ch/fr/domaine-skiable/pratique/horaires-hiver/horaires-hiver.htm

yeah, that was my understanding too - that info was updated earlier today (from last night)
ski holidays
How reliable the connection from La Tzoumaz usually look like? As I understand the gondola connection to Verbier is open last weekend only? Plan to base in La Tzoumaz from 16th December.
ski holidays
bashing wrote:
How reliable the connection from La Tzoumaz usually look like? As I understand the gondola connection to Verbier is open last weekend only? Plan to base in La Tzoumaz from 16th December.

Not open midweek yet. Maybe next week if you’re lucky. Will certainly be open from 19th. The La Tzoumaz gondola is reliable as it is quite modern, the Verbier antique a bit less so in bad weather because it’s an ancient lift that was supposed to have been replaced some years back (but blocked by wealthy residents who’s chalets the new gondola would pass over). However if you are in Verbier and it shuts there is an itinerary back to La Tzoumaz from Lac des Vaux via the Vallon d’Arbi which is fantastic (for good skiers). This is only a problem is bad weather (high wind). 95% of the time you will be fine.
ski holidays
@BobinCH Cheers for the insider info. Fingers crossed, otherwise I might have to skin up to Savoleyres for the first two days Confused . Also I notice there is a night-touring track following the sledge run, but is it 'open' all day? What is the 'official' approach in uphill around the pistes?
snow conditions
@bashing As mentioned, Téléverbier will usually run the télécabine La Tzoumaz «» Savoleyres «» Savoleyres Sud (Verbier) in December Weekends, whatever else happens. At Savoleyres Sud, the worst case is you'll have to hop on the navette down to Médran in the centre of Verbier.

This is a lot easier if Verbier starts running the chairlift at Mayentzet* because you get the bus from Savoleyres Sud up to Carrefour, and then ski the 100m down to the Mayentzet lift which takes you right up to Ruinettes. This by-passes any queuing at Médran, and is overall usually quicker, even without queues. [Edit: Actually to above Ruinettes - turn right to the La Chaux link at Ruinettes, or left and 200m down to the chair up to Lac des Vaux]

They'll next open-up the upper slopes around Savoleyres. Then open-up the all the Savoleyres/LTZ lifts and pistes. Then open the luge run and snowpark. They almost always have everything but the luge run open by Christmas Week. The new snowguns down to the village have helped a lot with getting a base down.

I described the various links from Savoleyres to Mayentzet in my post here. It includes a video of the run from the bottom of te Savoleyres draglift all the way to Carrefour.

Enough people skin uphill from La Tzoumaz to Croix de Coeur and Savoleyres for one to need to be on the lookout for them at the edges of the pistes. I don't think many use the luge run even when it's not open, because it's relatively indirect: you'd probably prefer to take amore direct route up. If you planned to skin up then ski down into Verbier, then the more direct route would be via Croix de Coeur.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-12-20 10:44; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@bashing, not sure I’d want to be the first one opening the vallon d’arbi itinerary so you’d be skinning up both ways! Looks good up there and good workout but 700m of vert each way so bring a couple of Mars bars. Do you have transport? Or if not perhaps you can find someone in La Tzoumaz willing to drive over to Le Châble - it’s only 40 mins. Try the Facebook groups

snow report
@BobinCH No transport option, will check out the facebook group. Is it the verbier community group? It seems there is a skin/snowshoes track up from Sonalon (which can be accessed by bus, if the bus schedule is to be trusted) that shaves 300+m of uphill... sounds like a very long day nonetheless snowHead.
snow conditions
bashing wrote:
@BobinCH No transport option, will check out the facebook group. Is it the verbier community group? It seems there is a skin/snowshoes track up from Sonalon (which can be accessed by bus, if the bus schedule is to be trusted) that shaves 300+m of uphill... sounds like a very long day nonetheless snowHead.

I was looking for the La Tzoumaz group for you and this popped up. Looks like you’re in luck!
snow report
Mayentzet was rolling yesterday probably as a precursor to Saturday opening. Runs into village good enough to open then too. Cabane Mt Fort opening Monday (which is when the gastro lock down ends) which probably means Mt Fort sector will open this weekend.

Dahu has all the covid-preparations in place for Monday too.
snow report
Anybody know if the snow park is open at the moment. Verbier website says it’s open but the live piste map says it’s closed.
ski holidays
@red_dragon, No it isn't, I was looking at all the rails and boxes still in their summer storage space under the jumbo yesterday afternoon.
snow report
@Steve - please excuse me being a Verbier noob...is Mayentzet a lift or a slope/area?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy