Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked Shocked Shocked

that is all
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:

Traversed across the top of that with my son a couple of weeks back. Terrifying....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s the standard entry into the Mont Gelé “Grande journée” itinerary, which was open before the last dump...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good lord
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, just look at the cracks on the slope in the distance on the right of @kitenski's photo Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jeez.. I've skied that lots of times in other years
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
denfinella wrote:
Also, just look at the cracks on the slope in the distance on the right of @kitenski's photo Shocked

That's actually insane, I've never seen that before

Maybe COVID is for the better in at least some ways
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
8611 wrote:
denfinella wrote:

That's actually insane, I've never seen that before

Maybe COVID is for the better in at least some ways

Fair point. The avalanche deaths across the alps would have been very high in a 'normal' season
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe stick to the pistes Shocked

https://instagram.com/stories/skipatrol_nendaz/2500259442410277518?igshid=1m0jjbijqgdig

And on Chassoure Shocked
https://instagram.com/stories/skipatrol_verbier/2500138206143932906?igshid=yhxfrt6gu3sb
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, slow button lift across a massive debris field = not my idea of fun Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
@BobinCH, slow button lift across a massive debris field = not my idea of fun Laughing

I imagine the pisteurs might prepare it if they heard you were coming Very Happy

You’d be surprised by how much fun you can have off that button lift wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mr Pisteur's rather risky photo-op. If I came around to that, I'd go nowhere near it, just turn around and walk back to the lift.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure, there's no weight below it trying to pull it down any more.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nickski wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mr Pisteur's rather risky photo-op. If I came around to that, I'd go nowhere near it, just turn around and walk back to the lift.

I'm always surprised by those photographs but they always seem to be avalanche professionals in them, or at least you'll see similar photos in avalanche literature, so presumably they know what they're at
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Nickski wrote:

I'm always surprised by those photographs but they always seem to be avalanche professionals in them, or at least you'll see similar photos in avalanche literature, so presumably they know what they're at

Yep these are professional patrollers and they’re in this terrain everyday. As above the slab has already gone at the weak point so a slab this big is not going to fracture any more unless there is a big weight on it. As the patrollers and wildlife are the only ones up there they can be pretty sure a ski school group of 15 isn’t going to do a warm up dance above them!
snow conditions
Good YouTube live Q&A session from Xavier de le Rue last evening.

http://youtube.com/v/qAFXcY7igKA

Another session organized on Friday will be worth tuning into for

Registration
https://www.altitudeskischool.com/avalanche-safety/
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Nickski wrote:

It's part of the job - they're there to do snowpack analysis and investigate on which layers (and when/how those layers were formed) the snowpack failed.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, sadly I missed it but my brother got in with the first response from the Q&A session! Sent me a vid - looked really good. Very tempted to tune in next week.
snow report
Itineraries are open!

latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
@BobinCH, sadly I missed it but my brother got in with the first response from the Q&A session! Sent me a vid - looked really good. Very tempted to tune in next week.

The recording is still there at the link above if you want to check it out. And the one on Monday should be good. Kids get a late pass so will have the family tuned in!
snow report
This is some great old footage of the Verbier Xtreme on the Bec des Rosses

http://youtube.com/v/Jw_dFvC44ro
snow report
Wow those shots remind me of chamonix stuff

Are they bombed then?

Are there many in the resort and many foreigners or is it hard to gauge?
latest report
8611 wrote:

Are they bombed then?

I don’t think they bomb it for the comp as it would wreck the face.

Yes there are quite a few people here including lots of foreigners. I think it’s French holidays next week which could be interesting...
latest report
@BobinCH, they bomb it like crazy before the competition....I've seek it being done.

They simply CANNOT have an avalanche happen on the day.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
8611 wrote:

Are they bombed then?

Yes there are quite a few people here including lots of foreigners. I think it’s French holidays next week which could be interesting...

Sorry I meant the itineraries in the photos above? The previous photos of dodgy faces have me worried when I see a face like that
snow conditions
8611 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
8611 wrote:

Are they bombed then?

Sorry I meant the itineraries in the photos above? The previous photos of dodgy faces have me worried when I see a face like that

Sure the itineraries are definitely bombed and fully secured as long as you stay within 20m of the poles
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
@BobinCH, they bomb it like crazy before the competition....I've seek it being done.

They simply CANNOT have an avalanche happen on the day.

I know it’s a few years back but did you see the avalanche in the film Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH,

Nice pictures. Very interesting for me to see the drone picture from the entrance to to Col des mines and vallon d’arby as we once had a really bad trip down there. A friend of mine took a really bad route and got stuck above the transport route. Had to hang on to one of the cliffs above it and lifted out by a heli. Dangerous situation for him and not good with people skiing below him on the transport route. Best picture I have seen of that side.
snow report
Woosh wrote:
@BobinCH,

Nice pictures. Very interesting for me to see the drone picture from the entrance to to Col des mines and vallon d’arby as we once had a really bad trip down there. A friend of mine took a really bad route and got stuck above the transport route. Had to hang on to one of the cliffs above it and lifted out by a heli. Dangerous situation for him and not good with people skiing below him on the transport route. Best picture I have seen of that side.

Sounds scary! It’s a super sector, one of my favorites in good conditions. The route via Chassoure is one of the best wide couloirs in Verbier and features on the cover if the Freeride Verbier book
latest report
Sahara skiing
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
...Freeride Verbier book

Great book! The intro text for each chapter (in English / French) are lifted direct from pdf file I wrote way back in 2008. It got shared around one of the local ski schools and posted online. I get a wee mention at the front as "collaborator". Gilbert did a fantastic job with the aerial photography of the routes and descriptions.

Still seems a bit odd to see my text in it (was looking at it the other day and thinking I am due trip back)
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
...Freeride Verbier book

Great book! The intro text for each chapter (in English / French) are lifted direct from pdf file I wrote way back in 2008. It got shared around one of the local ski schools and posted online. I get a wee mention at the front as "collaborator". Gilbert did a fantastic job with the aerial photography of the routes and descriptions.

Still seems a bit odd to see my text in it (was looking at it the other day and thinking I am due trip back)

Excellent! You sent me a copy of that back in the day. Thanks

Funny story, I asked the guy credited with the cover photo to confirm the location.... he tells me he didn’t know his photo was on the cover and it’s actually a photo of a heli-ski trip to Greenland that a client hired him for along with some guides!!!
snow conditions
Bit of mega Foehn powered Sahara couloir skiing

http://youtube.com/v/4yMdd4_zfOE

POV

http://youtube.com/v/YZmpPJqCfrU

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 8-02-21 7:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@BobinCH, bit more stable now?? Think you've posted the same video twice?
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, bit more stable now?? Think you've posted the same video twice?

Yep fixed now. Still delicate conditions and the sand will apparently create another weak layer. Access is difficult for the Bouquetin and we waited off the lift so knew no one coming in above us. J. Heitz, Léo Slemett and crew went straight under the cables which is ballsy - proper no fall zone on Mont Gelé Skullie
ski holidays
Fantastic video from the Verbier ski patrollers. Never seen a Gazex used in anger before Very Happy

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLGrDM0KMt1/?igshid=adrqnenqtvls
latest report
Splendid conditions off Mont Fort

Some vidéos here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154926&highlight=
snow report
@BobinCH, never done Super Bowl, it just looks lush. How long is that bootpack?
ski holidays
I skied past their explosive store one day and paused, wondering what they were doing.

"Do you want to help us prepare some saussisons? One said to me.
I had no idea, but thought why not...my job was loading the prepared charges into a skidoo....for all of 10 minutes.

Does that make me an almost-patroller?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy