Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Very sad for all involved. RIP
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Xavier de le Rue who was there
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gut-wrenching. RIP.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, thanks for posting; I was about to do the same having spotted it just now on insta. He explains the situation clearly and succinctly. Very sad Sad .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very very sad, and one can’t imagine the situation he was was put in finding his friend fatally injured. Would appear also to put to rest the notion that it was unprepared riders ‘chasing lines’, the likes of which was suggested somewhere on the forum the other day. Would appear that in this case they were experts, who did everything as they should and were simply unlucky.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
very sobering that he would also have done that route, and he'd never seen that slide in his time before.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eeesh more slides today in Rock Garden. Helis circling. Doesn’t look good. Super delicate conditions out there. The Westerly has put some big slabs on those east facing slopes...
And the mother of all storms coming this week
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, sad

How’s the ankle? Perhaps a good time for a break!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/valais/valais-central/avalanche-de-nendaz-un-guide-valaisan-decede-1035225

Another tragedy in Verbier today
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, sad

How’s the ankle? Perhaps a good time for a break!!

Not too bad thanks. Managed a few hours with the kids. Backside looking sketchy as

Toblerone

Mont Gelé is open

http://youtube.com/v/fz9CAyWzpig
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Full send Cool

http://youtube.com/v/GSDQeR384aE

Chamoille last run of the day

No fear of the tree stumps Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/niWH6T5ctvg

Moon

Light
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After my daily self flagellation of looking at the webcams, I thought I'd click on the meteo suisse link, 50-80cm forecast for Thyon in the next three days. Enjoy the weekend Bob and any one else who can get some turns in. Stay safe.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A big slab skiers right of Mont Fort this morning...

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another one - Mont Gelé South face after it was bombed. Look at those 2 (even 3) distinct slab layers down to the rocks Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They have put that piste in much higher than in previous years, it used to start on the slight hump that is catching the light...I wonder why.
ski holidays
Easier for the patrollers to get to the broken skiers?
latest report
And according to snow forecast it’s due to snow consistently, excluding Sunday, into next week. With high winds. Though snow forecast do seem to always come out on the high side of what actually happens.

Those sketchy layers are likely to claim a few more.
ski holidays
I just got three alerts from MeteoSwiss. Note up to a metre of snow expected above 1800m and winds up to 130 km/h above 2000m

Avalanches Level 4
Severe Hazard
Wed 27 Jan 17:00 - Thu 28 Jan 18:00

Snow Level 3
Significant Hazard
- expected amounts: above 1400m 20-60cm, above 1800cm 60-100cm*
- peak phase: Thu 06:00-18:00, Fri 03:00-15:00
- intensifying conditions accompanies by winds at gale force

Wind Level 2
Moderate hazard
- Highest wind gusts in exposed Locations: Above 2000m 100-130 Km/h
- Main wind direction: West to North-west
snow report
@BobinCH, after all these years are there still lines in Verbier you want to ski but haven’t yet?
snow report
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@BobinCH, after all these years are there still lines in Verbier you want to ski but haven’t yet?

Yep still plenty of lines on my list - Rogneux, poubelle, Mont Fort couloir, kamikaze, couloirs above barrage de Cleuson, Jumbo diagonal couloir, Petit Combin North Face, Combin de Valsorey to name a few. They all have difficult access so not sure we’ll get to them this year in these delicate conditions...
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Yeah it looks really dodgy. I know someone who did the North Face of Petit Combin on a heli trip but I think they had to literally beg their guide to let them go, meant to be amazing. Look forward to seeing you tick off the list when conditions allow snowHead
ski holidays
A lot of snow has fallen. That’s nigh on 80cm in 3 days at Lac de Vaux but avi 4 and has just turned from snow to rain in Verbier village Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@BobinCH, Yeah it looks really dodgy. I know someone who did the North Face of Petit Combin on a heli trip but I think they had to literally beg their guide to let them go, meant to be amazing. Look forward to seeing you tick off the list when conditions allow snowHead

Yep that one’s a heli-assisted route. Check out the Combin de Valsorey - it’s the one that Jeremie Heitz almost loses it in La liste.
ski holidays
A day for sticking to the pistes!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKrUYPCHaul/?igshid=1p7kd01i9xw12
ski holidays
No ones touched the couloirs yet but people have gone straight into Creblet Shocked
ski holidays
Stunning
snow report
@BobinCH, do you think that incident might lead to them thinking of bombing very popular off piste areas like that, US style?

I mean you'd have to think that an argument could be made for St Anton, Verbier and Chamonix to bomb some of the most popular areas (if they are inclined to slide), obviously with a view to making things safer but it could also be marketed as a new approach to off piste skiing

Albeit that could ruin the fun for existing freeriders

I presume Grand Couloir in 3vs is bombed for instance, or maybe it doesn't slide due to moguls
snow report
I've never, ever, seen Mt Gele carrying that much snow
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Playing with fire Shocked
ski holidays
The distance of that debris run out is huge
snow report
Holy poo-poo
snow report
8611 wrote:
@BobinCH, do you think that incident might lead to them thinking of bombing very popular off piste areas like that, US style?...

I presume Grand Couloir in 3vs is bombed for instance, or maybe it doesn't slide due to moguls

The Saulire couloirs are controlled because they sit above (and sometimes slide onto) the red run below).

My understanding is in France currently avalanche control work is only aimed at protecting pistes/roads/buildings/infrastructure (and possibly there are regs around this).
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

Skier-triggered?

(If so then words fail me... Do people think they are skiing in a different winter to the one that has already claimed lives in the general vicinity??)
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Skier-triggered?

(If so then words fail me... Do people think they are skiing in a different winter to the one that has already claimed lives in the general vicinity??)

Yep 2 of them skiing this notorious couloir

Ski patrol were remarkably restrained with him...
ski holidays
@BobinCH, in which case, on reflection, words don't fail me, but the words that I have aren't suitable for public consumption...
latest report
the rest of the face looks pretty tracked out too Shocked
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
the rest of the face looks pretty tracked out too Shocked

Everything was tracked out today, despite the avi 4 level. The place was crawling with day trippers coming up from Le Châble. Saw several people entering the couloir zones without even a backpack Shocked
snow report
@BobinCH, Yikes, I’ve skied in Creblet on a level 2 day and a snowboarder triggered a slide above us, thankfully no one injured or buried on that occasion. These mountains demand respect all of the time.
ski holidays
Holy poo-poo those slides are big! - Just saw Xavier de La Rue's post on instagram but seeing them in HD on a big screen is just numbing!
snow conditions
extremerob wrote:
Holy poo-poo those slides are big! - Just saw Xavier de La Rue's post on instagram but seeing them in HD on a big screen is just numbing!

Yep his posts are really good, and he has a massive following so hopefully it has some effect. Post and pics here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKwZ3_MBS14/?igshid=1fc52rvtjhedq

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy