Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
And Mont Fort is in fab shape

http://youtube.com/v/M5PIjLmVCGc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back. Was a great day...except my son managed to lose his iPhone....anywhere between Siviez and Medran and back again when he realised when we stopped for a late lunch on Tortin back into Siviez.

Unfortunately it’s in airplane mode so we can’t find my phone.... here’s hoping someone will spot a black phone on the white stuff!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoping to drive down to Verbier a.s.a.p. , but have a quick question first.

I'd be driving down from the north of Switzerland ie Basel to Le Chable in a motorhome and am wondering if I need snow chains, or are the roads big, low and clear enough all the way between those two places to not need them?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are no big passes on the way, so as long as you've got winter tyres and can check the weather forecast and motorway webcams on the day, there's nothing particular to worry about on that route.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick M wrote:

I'd be driving down from the north of Switzerland ie Basel to Le Chable in a motorhome and am wondering if I need snow chains, or are the roads big, low and clear enough all the way between those two places to not need them?

It’s all main roads, Le Châble is at 800m and the weather is warm for the next few days so you’ll be fine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick M wrote:
Not got winter tires (somewhat new to this), so I guess that rules it out completely then, does it?

You’ll be fine as long as there’s no snow/ice on the road, which there rarely is for long in Le Châble. When r u planning on travelling?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There are no big passes on the way, so as long as you've got winter tyres and can check the weather forecast and motorway webcams on the day, there's nothing particular to worry about on that route.

Not got winter tires, so I guess that rules it out completely, does it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
Nick M wrote:
Not got winter tires (somewhat new to this), so I guess that rules it out completely then, does it?

You’ll be fine as long as there’s no snow/ice on the road, which there rarely is for long in Le Châble. When r u planning on travelling?

As soon as possible, ideally tomorrow (currently in Germany).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick M wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Nick M wrote:

As soon as possible, ideally tomorrow (currently in Germany).

It’s warm tomorrow and Wednesday. You’ll have no problems. You may need to be flexible on way back if it gets really cold but usually from Le Châble the roads are cleared quickly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nick M, on the way up into Siviez on Saturday our taxi slid off the road into the side of the mountain, bounced against the rocks, then careened across to the other side of the road and very nearly went over the edge! And this was literally a stone's throw from the driver's own house on a road he knows like the back of his hand. There was a lot of new snow on Saturday so I am sure the roads are a lot better now, but please be careful.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
diaphon wrote:
@Nick M, on the way up into Siviez on Saturday our taxi slid off the road into the side of the mountain, bounced against the rocks, then careened across to the other side of the road and very nearly went over the edge! And this was literally a stone's throw from the driver's own house on a road he knows like the back of his hand. There was a lot of new snow on Saturday so I am sure the roads are a lot better now, but please be careful.

Thanks, but presumably that's a Mountain road you're talking about, whereas the other guys were talking about large flat low roads which are presumably all I'd find between Basel and Le Chable aren't they?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Siviez is at 1700m and it snowed down to 1000m on Saturday. I drive down from Verbier this morning and the road was already clear of snow below 1200m and it will be clear in Verbier tomorrow where the temps are going up significantly above freezing. The advice to be careful is sound as there can be snow and ice on the roads between Martigny and Le Châble but the freezing level would need to be much lower for that to be a risk.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can hardly express how fekked off I am!

We were due to be in Verbier for a long weekend right now...look how good this early season snow is...

With this Brexit and CV confluence of crappiness there is serious reason to think that we may not get to our own home at all this season...

OMG I am pisssed off...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 14-12-20 20:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You have my sympathy . Brexit and CV equals "confluence of crappiness" . That's about right.. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it not a legal requirement for your vehicle to be ‘Winterised’?

Personally I’d never drive at this time of the year, particularly in the mountains, without chains in the vehicle. And be pretty confident I could put them on. It’s not the first time I’ve had to put the chains on 2 or 3 British cars stuck fumbling with the chains as they hit the snow line. Usually in the dark, in a blizzard and below freezing.

Winter tyres are great but are no substitute for chains when conditions require.

I assume you carry chains Bob?

Also, and my own kids are a particular example, how do kids stay upright with their weight in the back seat, whilst flying over pretty big bumps.
snow conditions
Nick M wrote:

Where are you planning to park? I'm not aware of any motorhome parking in Le Chable.
snow report
@Fifespud, no chains but 4WD, winter tyres and take it super careful down the hill if there’s any snow on the road. The snow clearing after a dump is done so fast and efficiently that I’ve never had to drive through deep enough snow to need chains. And can’t imagine you’d ever need chains in Le Châble, although certainly Winter tyres when it’s below zero.

My understanding is that you’re not legally obliged to put on winter tyres but insurance won’t pay out / you could be sued for negligence if you cause an accident that can be attributed to you driving in winter conditions without the right tyres.
snow conditions
If you are Swiss the law is clear:
If it is in the designated winter months and you have an accident in a car not fitted with winter tyres: It is your fault.
Regardless of the actual circumstances...no winter tyres=your fault.

So they use the Law, but in a different way to requiring winter tyres by law.
snow report
rungsp wrote:
I can hardly express how fekked off I am!

We were due to be in Verbier for a long weekend right now...look how good this early season snow is...

With this Brexit and CV confluence of crappiness there is serious reason to think that we may not get to our own home at all this season...

OMG I am pisssed off...

I thought you voted for brexit ?
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
@Fifespud, no chains but 4WD, winter tyres and take it super careful down the hill if there’s any snow on the road. The snow clearing after a dump is done so fast and efficiently that I’ve never had to drive through deep enough snow to need chains. And can’t imagine you’d ever need chains in Le Châble, although certainly Winter tyres when it’s below zero.

My understanding is that you’re not legally obliged to put on winter tyres but insurance won’t pay out / you could be sued for negligence if you cause an accident that can be attributed to you driving in winter conditions without the right tyres.

I guess it’s arriving, on several occasions, in GVA on the late Saturday cheapskates flight at 10pm, driving through a blizzard all the way to Sion then starting the climb to Nendaz or Les Masses that have instigated my love of chains. I’d take 2WD + chains over 4WD every time - and cheaper and easier to rent - but living there I understand your choice.
Anyway gutted not to be there. Looking at 5cm snow 15mm of rain at Glenshee is not floating my boat!
snow report
Le Châble today Very Happy
https://twitter.com/_zeets/status/1339036383655186432?s=21
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Le Châble today Very Happy
https://twitter.com/_zeets/status/1339036383655186432?s=21

If they only had chains on....

Must say always impresses me the way they come along with little diggers and load the snow off the pavements into big dumper truck and cart it away.
snow conditions
You are such a windup merchant
ski holidays
Nightriders

View to the Valais
snow conditions
whats with the night skiing? is that the equivalent of someone in the UK going for a run after work?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
whats with the night skiing? is that the equivalent of someone in the UK going for a run after work?

Yep it’s our Haute Route group. Getting in some after work training. We’d been going to Les Paccots which is 10 mins from where we live but it’s warmed up so we had to drive up to Verbier for our mid-week training run.
snow report
@BobinCH, very pleasant way to spend an evening, how is it skiing down, do you need to control speed a bit more??
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, very pleasant way to spend an evening, how is it skiing down, do you need to control speed a bit more??

Last night was refrozen crud so stuck to the path but if there’s fresh pow it’s good fun. I bought a 500 lumen head torch so you can pretty much ski normally as long as you vaguely know the area. If the piste bashers are out you need to be wary of their winch cables Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Last night was refrozen crud so stuck to the path but if there’s fresh pow it’s good fun. I bought a 500 lumen head torch so you can pretty much ski normally as long as you vaguely know the area. If the piste bashers are out you need to be wary of their winch cables Skullie

Winch cables indeed Shocked You’re a braver man than me Bob!
snow report
Holidays Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/rAv_nQHHUF0
latest report
Just back from a week's skiing in Verbier. Almost spring-like weather most of the week. While most of the pistes are in fairly good condition, it really needs a dump of fresh snow otherwise it's going to be tired looking in a week or two. Still lots of rocks visible off-piste. Quite a few slides visible as well, some of them down to the grass.
snow report
Yep there’s a weak layer that’s sliding on all the shaded aspects. Could cause some problems unless we get a good dump to consolidate it. Pistes were pretty good today but we need a good 50cm to open the main off piste routes. Snow forecast for Xmas Eve and Day so fingers crossed. This was M25 end of the day
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:

Where are you planning to park? I'm not aware of any motorhome parking in Le Chable.

In the end I parked halfway up the road between Le Chable and Verbier opposite the Fromagerie and the Hotel Les Touristes, where I've been staying for the last four days, as the owner said I could put the motorhome opposite his hotel as I was going to be staying there.

But you're right I've not seen any motorhomes parked in Le Chable.
I was thinking about going back down the hill and parking it in the main lift station car park for a night or two (and sleeping in it) after I leave the hotel Les Touristes to add a couple of extra days skiing.But judging by your comment and also the lack of motorhomes I've seen, I'm assuming that's probably not allowed.
- So not really sure whether to risk it or not.
latest report
@BobinCH (and/or) any of the other Verbier locals...do you have any tips for lost & found?
Despite best efforts we've not managed to find said missing iPhone...We've listed on Verbier L&F on Facebook and also been checking Objet-Trouve daily, to no avail.
I've a horrible feeling that it may have dropped out of his pocket on one of the chairlifts and into oblivion; I'm pretty certain 99.9% of skiers would either hand in a found phone or attempt to call the rightful owners.
ski holidays
@Dravot, eeesh annoying. Police, Téléverbier objets trouvé and Verbier community FB group at a guess.
snow report
A few kick turns

Airy views

Some sugar pow

http://youtube.com/v/S8aVvqLRKuA

And lunch @ Chez Dany

Making the most of a gloomy Sunday
latest report
@Nick M, there is a liquid waste dump point, and water fill point for motorhomes in the Le Chable car park:
Go down the ramp and turn left. It is just near the metal footbridge about 300m along the river.
I have seen small motorhomes overnighting, but I don't think it is approved position.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
@Nick M, there is a liquid waste dump point, and water fill point for motorhomes in the Le Chable car park:
Go down the ramp and turn left. It is just near the metal footbridge about 300m along the river.
I have seen small motorhomes overnighting, but I don't think it is approved position.

Thanks and sounds interesting, will have a look for it.
I'm not aware of a ramp. Is that at the back of it? On the opposite side to the gondolas ?
Sorry I'm not really familiar with the car park so if you can give some more pointers as to where to look, that'd be much appreciated.
latest report
@Nick M, I don’t think you can stay there in the winter as it’s used for parking for resort workers.

There are a currently a number of motor homes in the car park on the other side of the river (next to the salle St Marc) which you can stay in up to 10 days. I don’t know if people are living in them. I think the only official place for motor homes in the winter is in Bruson village.

All these places are accessed by turning left out of the main le Châble car parks and heading upstream along the river.
snow report
Sunrise over the Combins
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy