Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@Dravot It's useful to have a ski map to hand to identify all these key lifts and runs, like the 4 Vallées* although a Google search will show you lots more.

Mayentzet is a lift that runs from near the Carrefour roundabout and bus stop, at the north end of Verbier. It rises up in one go to just above Ruinettes. It's an attractive alternative to going into central Verbier and possibly queuing at the the Médran 'hub'. Médran is where the gondola up from Le Chable (railway station and big car park) in the valley arrives and is bang in the middle of Verbier, so can get very busy.

If you're travelling over from La Tzoumaz, then the basic option is to get the lift up to Savoleyres, then down to Savoleyres Sud in Verbier, then hop on the navette up to Carrefour. If the pistes over to Verbier are open then you can ski all the way from Savoleyres to Carrefour (my post and video above). If the gate en route is shut (because of avalanche danger) then you have to ski down into Verbier as described in the earlier post.

[*This highlights what's actually open on the day, so use a passive map like this one to see everything equally.]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-12-20 12:12; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dravot wrote:
@Steve - please excuse me being a Verbier noob...is Mayentzet a lift or a slope/area?

It’s the fast 6? man Chair which reduces a lot of pressure on the main gondola in Medran. Shown in red below. It also opens up the possibility to lap the forest runs (yellow arrows) which is useful in bad weather. And as @LaForet mentioned above it makes the connection from La Tzoumaz easier to access the Verbier area. So good news all round. Mont Fort should also be opening on Saturday, and looked to have a decent base remaining from the early season snow which is great news for stronger skiers and off pisters.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-12-20 12:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Replies crossed...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup! Actually, the verbier.ch site could do with a few explanatory videos that show you the area. A lot of the questions we both answer are fairly predictable and come up every year. I've thought about it a few times for the Savoleyres area but in the end, thought it wasn't really my job to do what Téléverbier should be doing! Perhaps we should contract with them to do something. I did do a simplified introductory map for new clients just to show the key lifts etc., which @Dravot may find helps:

[v.5 - 11.12.20]

But I'd emphasise this is not in any way meant as a substitute for using the proper ski map. Simplification always removes detail.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-12-20 12:10; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
really helpful...many thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbier locals, what is the situation with restaurants up the mountain at the moment? Are any doing takeaway for lunch, or even just a coffee or bottle of water, or is everything completely shut?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hold_my_biere, several are open for basic takeaway (hot/cold drinks, chips, hot dogs etc) only.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, The lift out of the centre of Veysonnaz used to be a gondola, has that been replaced by a chair ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hold_my_biere, takeaway only until Monday, the gastro lockdown ends then and places will be open on the mountain for sit down, but subject to the current federal restrictions of 4 per table etc.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just heard that Verbier has rescinded reciprocal recognition of lift passes from 12.12 until 11.1. Main impact will be on Cham and Portes du Soleil. Can't imagine there are many Vail pass holders around at the moment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LaForet, that's rather nice. I think you should colour code your restaurants though, $ , $$ , $$$ , $$$$ ... just a thought wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 10-12-20 18:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Speaking of which, when the restaurants do reopen next week, what are the best options for a nice lunch? I have been to La Vache and Carrefour before and enjoyed both, but is there anything else worth putting on the menu?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think Verbier do $ , $$ , $$$.

They start at $$$$ and go upwards from there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hold_my_biere, Plan Du Fou, Cabin Du Mt. Fort, La Chaux were good last year.

Croix De Coeur used to be good and quieter than the others, but i haven't been for a while and there's a good burger place in Siviez at the other side of the car park from the slopes, but I can't remember what its called.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mosha Marc, Chez Odette.

@hold_my_biere, Le Dahu, Mayentzet, Marmotte.

Verbier prices really aren't $$$$, unless you want to make it that way, the problem is the ££££ is shrinking.
snow report
My fave is Chez Dany, down the Clambin itinerary. Dahu terrace also great but forget it on weekends without a booking several days before. Cabane Mont Fort terrace has a stunning view and is a good option in nice weather. You have to queue to order and pick up your tray of food but it’s good quality and decent value
latest report
Restaurants still shut so went skiing
ski holidays
What’s the conditions like in Verbier now bobinCH?
Have u any idea if any of the linked resorts (eg nendaz or la Tzoumas) are open to get to the Verbier slopes?
Cheers
latest report
Rom77 wrote:
Have u any idea if any of the linked resorts (eg nendaz or la Tzoumas) are open to get to the Verbier slopes?
Cheers

It was dark but seemed pretty good to me. Yes they are open and connected from this weekend as I understand it. With another 20-30cm this weekend should be great from Sunday.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-12-20 23:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cheers
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Rom77 wrote:
Cheers

It was dark but seemed pretty good to me. Yes they are open and connected from this weekend as I understand it. With another 20-30cm this weekend should be great from Sunday.

lets hope so....arriving this weekend!
latest report
Time to get up!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIoLHi_I2fF/?igshid=1ifk18goznooa
latest report
Update to the Map 11.12.2020

I got various useful feedback re the map (thanks all) and have now corrected various errors and inconsistencies, and re-loaded it as V.5

@rjs was right that the Versonnaz lift is a télécabine, not a télésiege. I've named some of the areas in Veysonnaz, and added the gondola up to Mt.Gélé and the Etablons bar/café in La Tzoumaz.

There are still some things that it'd be too confusing to add e.g. going from Tortin down to Siviez, you get on the chair at Tortin but hop off it at the top of the piste. But on the way up from Siviez to Tortin, you just stay on the chair all the way. I've also not shown any of the many routes down from Mt.Gélé, or the off-piste routes frowm the back of Mt.Fort. Also omitted are the learner slopes in La Tzoumaz (by Etablons) and Verbier. And so on.

Basically it's a synoptic, not a topographcal map - just designed to show the main pistes and connections and not meant as a substitute piste map. It's also a bit out of context as (a) it focuses on La Tzoumaz and Verbier in terms of detail, and is meant to sit alongside other maps that cover the Savoleyres Sector in more detail.
latest report
Mont Fort open tomorrow. Good news!
snow report
Yup, and the Federal decision is also positive:

https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/dossiers/coronavirus/articles/coronavirus-nouvelles-restrictions-mais-plus-souples-en-romandie-les-annonces-du-conseil-federal-1017620
snow report
So much useful info in here @laforet and @bob, generally appreciate the time put into the posts. All packed and set to depart. I think we'll head to Siviez to get the legs in on the long blue at Tortin (my son isn't massively confident yet) would you suggest that is a good option, or should we head over to Veysonnaz / Thyon if it will be a bit quieter there?
snow conditions
Dravot wrote:
So much useful info in here @laforet and @bob, generally appreciate the time put into the posts. All packed and set to depart. I think we'll head to Siviez to get the legs in on the long blue at Tortin (my son isn't massively confident yet) would you suggest that is a good option, or should we head over to Veysonnaz / Thyon if it will be a bit quieter there?

Yep either that blue or the La Chaux blue off the Chaux 2 chair would be my pick for confidence building. Come up and over Chaux express in the bubble as the run from the top is steep
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:

Quite a lot of very wide spacious terrain over in Veysonnaz sector, but some of the connection across there are via drag lifts. Depends if you're ok (son) with those as some are fairly long but fine if you take your time and know the commitment that means. I'm trying to convey that it's not difficult but some don't like it, so choice is there.

Plan du fou in Nendaz direction is a very good run back toward Siviez, red at top but pretty mild with good width to work less gradient into it, then running out via a blue onto Tortin. I really like this one and think it's worth considering to get your legs going.

Tortin probably as good as any for a first run "feeler" piste though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dravot What Bob is referring to is shown on my map - the La Chaux 2 combimix (gondolas and chairs mixed on the same cable) runs from Ruinettes up to the black dot above the red Ruinettes restaurant icon up to a ridge where it detaches to slow down and you can get off then it re-attaches: you just stay on and continue the ride down to La Chaux. (This is one of the things it was too hard to show clearly).

Either get on a gondola cabin or a chair. But don't be surprised at the top when others get off. You just stay on. The chair is fun if you're prepared, but can be a bit of a shock if you don't know that there's a steep drop the other side. If you want a nice video, get prepared at the top and start it running as the ground drops away.

I'd agree that the wide blue down from Tortin to Siviez is a really nice refresher run to start the holiday. On the map, the chair is a single continuous lift all the way to Tortin but you can alight in the middle (where the dot is) if you want to ski back down. If you're coming up from Siviez then remember this, or you'll end up going onwards to Tortin. No big deal, but when you come back down, you need to alight after the chair carries you across the flat initial section, before it continues back down to Siviez.

FYI one reassuring thing about the La Chaux route is that in the worst case, you can get back down to Verbier completely on foot. So that if anyone in the group is finding it just too much etc. they don't have to ski at all to get back down to Verbier. They just take the combimix back to Ruinettes, then the gondola down to Médran. One winter, I actually did this as a photo' excursion when the weather was poor thanks to an inversion.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 11-12-20 21:44; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
For anyone not that confident I’d be wary of heading straight over to Thyon. Getting through Greppon Blanc, steepish reds (tending to black steepness in bits), very long drag lifts for youngsters to fall off! Take the newish lift up to Plan du Fou - the red run back to Siviez is straightforward and should give confidence. You could even take the Gondola down the other side and try out Nendaz. Much easier than getting to Veysonnaz imo.
The blue at Siviez is obviously low, gets a lot of beginners on it and can be quite icy - depending on conditions of course. If you’ve a car a simple option is to drive to Veysonnaz, park on the street or in the underground car park opposite the gondola. Then you’ve the whole Thyon area to play in. Getting through ‘the bowl’ to Thyon is doable but you need a degree of confidence and experience.
latest report
Again, many thanks for the multiple inputs. All chimes with map-recces from FATMAP, but no accounting for the actual experience on the ground. I should have said earlier, we're staying Nendaz and it is my plan to drive to Siviez or over to Veysonnaz. From the map, it looks straight forward to get from either the Veysonnaz lift, or further round Piste de l'ours, and onto the blues on the eastern side of Thyon - it looks like a couple of hundred metres walk (skate?) to the top of the blues.
snow report
Snowing this morning. Kids enjoying a bit of pow off the side just above Mayentzet

http://youtube.com/v/f7Wmqtd0hwU
latest report
Dravot wrote:
Again, many thanks for the multiple inputs. All chimes with map-recces from FATMAP, but no accounting for the actual experience on the ground. I should have said earlier, we're staying Nendaz and it is my plan to drive to Siviez or over to Veysonnaz. From the map, it looks straight forward to get from either the Veysonnaz lift, or further round Piste de l'ours, and onto the blues on the eastern side of Thyon - it looks like a couple of hundred metres walk (skate?) to the top of the blues.

It is simple enough to get to the ‘blues’.

Just had a look - seems Nendaz not running today.

The Veysonnaz run back to the Gondola has 1 or 2 steep sections which again can be quite icy. They’ve (foolishly imo) built a good few chalets near the bottom which has narrowed the piste considerably meaning the final drop to the bottom can be daunting for a beginner. That said it’s a great run.
Piste de l’ours is an overall steeper run than Veysonnaz but I think in some ways it’s easier to pick your way down.

Another option it to drive straight on to the Cambuse which incidentally is a nice spot for lunch. A normal length Poma or T Bar takes you up and the Cambuse piste is pretty straightforward. Theytaz 2 and Muraz are again easy enough - on paper they are reds but at the easier end of the range.

Although there are not too many pistes actually at Nendaz, again in my opinion, the main run down is the best pisted run in the 4V. A decent length, some fantastic cruisy, flattering pitches with one or 2 more testing sections but not outrageous. When we started going there, nearly 20 years ago, we occasionally get snowed in there and I remember spending a weekend doing laps of it with my 3 kids, it was a brilliant weekend with few others venturing out in the flat light and snowy conditions.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Snowing this morning. Kids enjoying a bit of pow off the side just above Mayentzet

Excellent stuff. 2 fantastic skiers in the making!
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:

From Tortin, above Siviez, you can also take the Chasseur bubble and then ski down the blue run into the Lac des Vaux, take Lac 1 chair up and ski the long, easy red (it’s more blue via the chicken variant) down to La Chaux (via the left hand path just below Carlsberg). You could also take up the Tortin or Jumbo cable car and lap the short drag lift at the Col de Gentianes (short but always has great snow)if you want to get up high and enjoy views of Mont Fort etc. Lots of travel involved there but all easy skiing. The Jumbo red is also possible using the path to zig zag the steep section.
latest report
Fifespud wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Excellent stuff. 2 fantastic skiers in the making!

Thanks. Amazing how a bit of powder puts smiles on everyone’s face!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Dravot wrote:

From Tortin, above Siviez, (via the left hand path just below Carlsberg). You could also take up the Tortin or Jumbo cable car and lap the short drag lift at the Col de Gentianes (short but always has great snow)if you want to get up high and enjoy views of Mont Fort etc. Lots of travel involved there but all easy skiing. The Jumbo red is also possible using the path to zig zag the steep section.

We did some of this today. When you mention the easy red, it’s this Attelas? I can’t see anything else on map?
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Dravot wrote:

From Tortin, above Siviez, you can also take the Chasseur bubble and then ski down the blue run into the Lac des Vaux, take Lac 1 chair up and ski the long, easy red (it’s more blue via the chicken variant) down to La Chaux (via the left hand path just below Carlsberg). You could also take up the Tortin or Jumbo cable car and lap the short drag lift at the Col de Gentianes (short but always has great snow)if you want to get up high and enjoy views of Mont Fort etc. Lots of travel involved there but all easy skiing. The Jumbo red is also possible using the path to zig zag the steep section.

Retry as my attempt to bold chopped your text out! Is the long easy red from lac1 Attelas?
snow report
Dravot wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Dravot wrote:

Retry as my attempt to bold chopped your text out! Is the long easy red from lac1 Attelas?

Yes Attelas. Make sure to take the right hand path to avoid the steep bit and then take the left hand path to La Chaux. You can take the blue La Chaux piste of you carry on straight (requires a few metres of poling) to avoid the first bit that can get a bit icy.

This is the Attelas piste from yesterday. Will be much quieter today!

http://youtube.com/v/kQACyiPoKuI

And this is the end of the La Chaux blue to the Dahu restaurant

http://youtube.com/v/DUhcW1bYLZ0
snow report
There’s also a nice little powder stash, that my kids love, off the side of the drag lift at Col des Gentianes

http://youtube.com/v/Y2huImBfQVk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy