Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo Season and Remote Working

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I came to give my two cents about the topic, but I should mention I am very biased since I am one of the founders of a coliving space (someone already mentioned), Cloud Citadel.
www.cloudcitadel.co
We are located in the citadel of Briançon, one of the stations of Serre Chevalier ski resort. This will be our second ski season so I can say we already have some experience with hosting remote workers here, even though the previous season was cut short by our friend Miley.

Some useful information both about our coliving and Briançon in general and I like the way @fixx organised the information about Chamonix so I will do something similar. I will focus more on Briancon in particular but there are other 3 stations of Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle, Villeneuve et le Monêtier Les Bains). We have chosen to make our coliving in Briancon because it is a proper small town with 12k people, also we quite liked the fortified old town where we found the space to host our coliving and it is cheaper for both renting or buying that the neighbouring villages.

Working:
Our coliving house offers both accommodation and coworking space. The coworking part is, at least for now, open only for the guests of Cloud Citadel, but we had a lot of demand so we might try to implement that next year. We have two VDSL2 modems, combined with a switch and connected to three access points to properly cover the whole house. That allows us to have a solid 50 Mbps. The coworking space is divided into 2 large areas, with proper office chairs and big desks. We are adding a skype room for this winter so people can a silent area for their calls and not disturb others. Also, from our experience this year, people work everywhere. The dining room served the purpose and well as the chill area of the house and every private room comes with a desk so all that should allow everyone to choose their spot.

About the local coworking:
1. We have experience only with Quai9. They are located in the lower part of the town, usually, it's a nonprofit type of coworking but they had a couple of free desks for monthly rental.
2. La Machinerie seems great, we exchanged some emails with them and looks like a really cool place to work from. Not sure if they are still open though, so better to check out.
www.lamachinerie.eu
3. Altipolis is offering offices for companies and there is a coworking space. It's a governmental organization trying to develop entrepreneurship in the area.
http://www.ccbrianconnais.fr/altipolis

The fibre optic internet is slowly coming to the area and the actual digging had already started in the surrounding villages. The mayor promised 1000 plugs will be available by Christmas this year, just do not know where exactly but at least we can say the process has started.

Accommodation:
We wanted to have a mix of different types of rooms available in Cloud Citadel so that we are open to people with different budgets. So, dorm room (especially proud of this one, we really put time, thought and effort into trying to make one that will give as much of privacy and space possible in a shared room), private rooms with shared bathroom and ensuite ones. The rooms are on the 1st and 3rd floor while the shared space is on the 2nd floor.

Other ways to find accommodation in the area:
1. Your usual Airbnb and booking.com platforms
2. Check out Gites de France www.gites-de-france.com/en
3. Leboncoin www.leboncoin.fr/
4. Facebook groups, anything with Briançon in the title basically - www.facebook.com/groups/2824446997572290/ for example

Skiing
Serre Chevalier offers 220-250 km of slopes, great off-piste and tree skiing Very Happy. The area around is great for ski touring and Nordic skiing. Very close to La Grave ( huge off-piste area, the only one of its kind in Europe), Montgenevre, Les Deux Alpes, Alpes Duez as well as a smaller resort like Puy St Vincent which was great fun last year especially during powder days. I plan to get into ski touring this year but you can find more here www.ecrinscollective.com. Rob is a great guide and very knowledgable about the area I cannot recommend him enough.

Language
This is still a very french town but it is getting more and more international so you can get around with English unless it is involving French bureaucracy. Very Happy

Transportation
Shuttle buses run every weekend, a couple of times per day from Turin, Lyon and Grenoble airport. Also, a great idea is to take the night train from Paris to Briancon.
If coming from Marseille, there is also a train option or a bus option.

Hope you find this useful and let me know if I missed some important topics Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 16-10-20 13:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good post and interesting thread.

My wife and I are considering the same for a month, albeit spring skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this another thread to read at my leisure. Not considered chamonix but might be a good one
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jebanjac, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting so much useful information snowHead

I've skied in Serre Chevalier - been twice with Snowheads for the offpiste bash, and I'll wholeheartedly agree it is a fantastic area with brilliant skiing.

It sounds like you have a really good setup at CloudCitadel. Good luck with it - I'll try to pop by if I'm ever in the area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RKIre28,

Hey there,

To RKI and everyone else - I'm interested in finding fellow remote workers to share a chalet for the ski season 2022/23. I'm open to a small or big group (3-15+)! and would prefer saint anton in austria (I'm learning german!) but am open to elsehwhere in the alps as long as it's in a fairly buzzing and busy town during the season.

Message me if you're interested and we could start looking into it!

Happy

(artyhunt@hotmail.com)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy