Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Job Opportunities 2006/2007: Bootfitters. Footworks. Chamonix.

Poster: A snowHead
Junior Bootfitters. Full and Part Time.
Experienced Bootfitters. Part Time.
Expert Bootfitters. Full Time.
Expert Ski Technicians. Full Time.

We welcome applications from all and any. Quick learners, self motivated people with an eye for detail will excel often above those experienced. Our winters are long and hard as our shop has a exceptionally high level of service.

Forward C.V.'s to me:
Steven DELETED, Toofy Grin
Footworks/Sport Alpins,
7 Place de Edmond Desailloud.
Chamonix Mont-Blanc.
Haute Savoie.
France.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 1-04-07 16:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Damn, but that's tempting Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, nothing for a mouthy smartarse? (can fix drains ... or is that fill them ... )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:
(can fix drains ... or is that fill them ... )

A self forfilling prophecy? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After the week from hell, this is very tempting.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Sacked 'em all then Toofy Grin

Remember good staff dont leave companies they leave BAD bosses Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is there a bootfitters course available? I ask 'cos no. 1 son is currently considering what to do with his gap year, and seems to think he can spend it bumming around and doing some skiing. I suggested he did something now that would get him a job too. He'd be thinking about 2007/2008 season though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, I think 'Natives' advertises one , but surely offering SZK or CEM some free assistance in return for some knowledge might crack the same egg ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, In the US there's this organisation: http://www.masterfituniversity.com
Maybe someone knows of a European equivalent?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im going on a course with Anything Technical on the 22nd of May (The One advertised on NAtives). Hoping on going ot Canada with BUNAC in October. Il post a report on here when I have been on the course. He may be able to still get a student visa if he is on a Gap year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Edmundh009, he won't be doing the Gap year until 2007.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just bouncing the tread.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, into tyres now?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Is that your way of saying no Tyre Kickers!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

Just bouncing the tread.

Hiking boots Puzzled
snow report
Could he afford me?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Could you understand him?
snow conditions
boredsurfin, it's all about karma...
ski holidays
Bouncing the thread. Little Angel
latest report
B-O-I-N-G!!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, check your deodorant . . . wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
is there a bootfitters course available?

Fit

Get people to buy the most expensive boots in the shop (or stuff you are trying to unload from last year's stock that none of the more knowledgable/fashion conscious clients want - tell them its next year's model and you only have a few on pre-order) The key is to make sure the boots are uncomfortable, especially after the punter has been on the snow for a bit.

The first thing to sell when they come back complaining that the boots are too small is a custom foodbed, fifty quid of easy money but the shell should still be too tight so next time they come back suggest blowing the shells out (see below). Complicated boots with lots of rivets, buckles etc are idea for shell blowing as the process weakens the shell and it is likely to split at a later date around one of the rivets making you an extra sale.

Suggest a replacement "memory" type liner, initially a thermofit liner should do but you may be able to sell an expensive foam injected model.

Patter

The key to boot fitting is to turn it into a black art. If the client comes in saying they have a street shoe size of 8 (UK) immediately start babbling away in Mondospeak with lots of references to how each boot manufacturer has a different idea of what a Mondo 27 length is and how every fool knoweth that you always go at least a couple of sizes smaller than your street size. Put the clients foot on a measure, if it says Mondo 27 suggest that they would be most comfortable in a Mondo 25... or even a 24.5 for extra control in the bumps and blacks.

The best way to sell a badly fitting boot is to tell the customer that the shells should be really tight coz that's how the racers wear them and that's how you get control. Did the client ever feel his heels lifting in his old boots? Well they were too big! Tell them it is "loose" fitting boots that really feel too tight because the client has to overcrank the buckles in order to get a good fit crushing the foot. No what they need is a shell that leaves just a fag paper's width around the foot because the "liner is bound to pack out with wear".

A "good fitting" boot is one where they wearer (or sufferer as they should really be known) has to undo the buckles at every possible opportunity in order to get a bit of blood circulating in his feet.

Alignment Clinic
Tell the client that they are not properly aligned. You can make loads of dosh by sticking white disks on their legs and videoing the punter in a dark room on a ski machine. Show them the video and sprinkly in a few words about pronation and supination and spastic knees, suggest expensive techno fixes such as shims, footbed grinding etc.

Shell Blowing

If you are blowing the shell make sure you go a bit overboard so that
i) the client has to come back to have padding fitted
ii) the shell splits a bit later in the cold
iii) blow out in the wrong place so they have to come back for more work

Surgery
Get a commission from the local medical center for the treatment of "black toe", bunions, toenail extraction, amputation that is bound to result from your boot fitting.

Laughing
ski holidays
davidof, Laughing Laughing
snow report
davidof, Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
Laughing @Davidof

Hmmmm, that is very tempting and a much better way of spending a winter than what I am doing currently - and I am (was) qualified fitter/ski tech working at Salomon and Ellis Brigham.

I'm guessing the pay gap might be a limiting factor here LOL

Oh to not have commitments and spend a day breathing in wax fumes again Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
davidof, The sour sound of a failed bootfitter. wink
snow report
... or of a man whose bootfitter failed him?
ski holidays
admin, You never had a badly cooked steak? Probably, but i bet you still eat steak. Unless you're a VEGI, in which case, GET WITH THE PROGRAMME, you're the top of the food chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin,
Quote:

or of a man whose bootfitter failed him?

if that was the case he should look for another, poor davidof, can't be expected to go to the right place without guidance, prehaps he should go to chamonix or come over here Little Angel

your not Vegi ..are you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So who wants a job?
snow report
How much?
snow conditions
Quote:

You never had a badly cooked steak

No such thing! simply not to your liking Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boucning the thread. Blush
ski holidays
boing
snow report
do you take aussies? Wink
snow report
little tiger, With a work permit, yes. Little Angel
ski holidays
little tiger,

Are you a paddy living in Oz

or an Auzzie livin in Paddy land?
snow report
johnboy, she's a whinging con living in GOC.
ski holidays
Edmundh009, I did Anything Technical's course a few years ago - it was well-taught and quite comprehensive if you do all the sections of it.
ski holidays
My friends tell me i do most things for a fiver wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy