Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Amphibio 18 TI2 x Atomix X9 WB

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Olá guys Very Happy

I wasn't thinking about replacing my skis but came up with a really good deal and thinking about going for it, I'm in between 2 models and would like your opinions about it.
Both of them have a retail price in the € 850 range but got them on sale, both are 2019/2020 season.

My data:
1.78cm, 95kg
Boot 130 flex
I would say my ski level is intermediate but I'm progressing fast, so I'm looking for a ski that is suitable for someone my weight, stable at high speeds and just fun to carve.
Although I'm 95kg and a bit overweight, I have very strong legs and hit the gym 4 to 5 times a week, so I consider myself a powerful skier(that doesn't mean I have the best technique Laughing )

Those are my 2 choices:

- Elan Amphibio 18 TI2
https://elanskis.com/eu/amphibio-18-ti2-fusion-x-abhgfq20
172cm
73mm waist
15.7 radius turn
€ 320 NehNeh

- Atomix X9 WB
https://shop.atomic.com/en-nl/products/redster-x9-wb-x-12-gw-aa4808.html
176cm
75mm waist
14.2 radius turn
€ 540

Both skis are quite similar in waist and size, both are meant for carving in the groomers, Atomic being a bit shorter turn radius.
I want a ski that allows me to ski fast and technical but not a ski that needs me to be at psycho mode all the time, fun factor is important.

By the reviews I read:
- Elan is stiffer, that's is good because I'm heavy so if I need to bend it a bit more for a shorter turn it will not bend too much.
- Atomic is more stable at high speeds but I'm not sure how fast they are talking about.... if Elan is stable until 100km and Atomic is stable until 130, it's not a big deal for me, don't see myself going faster than 90 km/h anytime soon.
- Both of them are very good for aggressive carvings

You can see that there a VERY good deal on the Elan, 320 for a 850 ski is a steal.
My current ski is an Elan and to be honest I don't see much love for Elan here, I think those guys are really top notch and so much underrated. The Amphibio technology(left/right ski) is genius in my opinion.
My choice fo the X9 WB(75mm) instead of regular X9(65mm) is because some people told me that after a fresh snow during the day it gets quite trick to ski with such a narrow ski. I have no plans to bring those skis off piste but it is nice to know that if there is fresh snow I won't struggle.

Most important question:
Will there really be a BIG difference between them ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I liked the Elans but not tried the 19/20 version. I have Atomic redster S9 myself and Kaestle HP95 and the S9 is my go to ski.

On question is. If they were both the same price, then what would you choose?

I know one of the instructors in Arabba have the Atomic X9 and they say they are great for all day and all clients eg potteringaround with beginners and hamering it with more advanced.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are those prices with bindings?

Not much to split them on paper and probably down to personal preference.

If you currently ski Elan's and like them, that is a good sign for Elan's. And 320 for a top of the range ski like you say is a good deal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Are those prices with bindings?

Yes!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

That's a good question... I guess I would go for the Atomic for being more stable, not sure if the size(176cm) would be too big for me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AndreSilva wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

That's a good question... I guess I would go for the Atomic for being more stable, not sure if the size(176cm) would be too big for me.

I think it is a little bit.

What length you currently skiing on?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
What length you currently skiing on?

168, that's why the Elan at 172 sounds perfect for me.
I could get the Atomic 168 but then the turn radius is 13, I think it would be too short being a heavy guy that can flex a lot of the ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AndreSilva, I get the impression that they are rather different skis. I think the Elan is probably aimed squarely at the aspiring intermediate (don't ask me what that actually means but think cooking level Ford Focus) - whereas the Redster looks to be a somewhat dialled back race type ski (think wife-beating Golf GTI).

I think the Elan will be rather less demanding but rather less rewarding.

Not that Elan don't make great skis. Their race skis are just lovely. And they are are pretty innovative as a company.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ola @AndreSilva, I have the atomic X9WB in 176cm, it is a fun, versatile piste ski, feels light and agile under the feet. Its a good carver but also easy to use in bumps/soft snow. I wouldn't describe it as a race ski type feel which would be more appropriate for the normal X9 which I have also skied and is a stiffer/damper/heavier feeling ski - hard work in variable conditions. I haven't skied the Elan but they look good and think roughly comparable with the Atomic X9WB performance wise - other than amphibio construction-which may give the ski dual characteristics depending on which edge you use? I am 189cm and 95kg and the 176cm feels good. If you were a bit lighter I would go shorter for a piste ski but anywhere around 170-176 should be ok for you.

Incidently I have a spare pair of 176 X9 WB (long story) which I could sell if interested Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sledger wrote:
Ola @AndreSilva, I have the atomic X9WB in 176cm, it is a fun, versatile piste ski, feels light and agile under the feet. Its a good carver but also easy to use in bumps/soft snow. I wouldn't describe it as a race ski type feel which would be more appropriate for the normal X9 which I have also skied and is a stiffer/damper/heavier feeling ski - hard work in variable conditions. I haven't skied the Elan but they look good and think roughly comparable with the Atomic X9WB performance wise - other than amphibio construction-which may give the ski dual characteristics depending on which edge you use? I am 189cm and 95kg and the 176cm feels good. If you were a bit lighter I would go shorter for a piste ski but anywhere around 170-176 should be ok for you.

Incidently I have a spare pair of 176 X9 WB (long story) which I could sell if interested Cool

Hi Sledger!
Nice to hear your opinions after you have tried the regular X9, I had that comparison in mind as well.
I have sent you a pm!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The delta angle on the rebadged Head/Tyrolia bindings is excessive and they're alpine sole only. Whereas the Neox bindings on the Atomics have a sensible delta and are both GW and alpine sole compatible. Get the Atomics.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
The delta angle on the rebadged Head/Tyrolia bindings is excessive and they're alpine sole only. Whereas the Neox bindings on the Atomics have a sensible delta and are both GW and alpine sole compatible. Get the Atomics.

Nice to know that, thanks for the tip.
Besides the binding thing, have you ever tried the Elan Amphibio ? If so, did you liked it ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AndreSilva, I've not tried them but I service quite a few and all of their owners rave about them.

However I'm not a fan of 'handed' skis (or 'footed' to be correct) as if you're unfortunate enough to really damage an edge then you're unable to swap the skis over to keep the damaged/repaired edge to the outside.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be fair though @spyderjon, how often does that happen? Or perhaps more's to the point, who actually takes the time/trouble unless it's really bad.

Interesting though if there is any technical reason for/against. I mean afaik it's not a big thing. Back in the last century my first ever skis (Salomon Super Force 2S iirc) were meant to be used footed but I don't think I bothered after a while as I could feel no difference. I was a bit of a rookie back then mind.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
To be fair though @spyderjon, how often does that happen? Or perhaps more's to the point, who actually takes the time/trouble unless it's really bad.

Interesting though if there is any technical reason for/against. I mean afaik it's not a big thing. Back in the last century my first ever skis (Salomon Super Force 2S iirc) were meant to be used footed but I don't think I bothered after a while as I could feel no difference. I was a bit of a rookie back then mind.

It's a lot more common than you'd think but if you've not experienced it then you wouldn't know. I service about 800 pairs of skis a season and about 100 boards so that's 1800 edges which averages out at 70 per week from Oct to Dec. And every week I'll do 2 or 3 edge pull-out/sidewall damage repairs that although fixable they necessitate the repaired damage being skied as an outside edge to reduce the load etc. Now I probably do more repairs of this type than other shops as I often get the ones that other shops won't touch and they refer the owner to me or they tell the owner the ski is toast and try to sell 'em new ones (rolling eyes).

And Amphibio owners tell me that they can certainly tell the difference when they use the skis on the wrong feet. So IMO the risk of an edge/sidewall issue is a common enough occurrence for it to be a factor to be aware of when making a purchasing decision.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy