Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to live near resorts ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops wrote:
Glasgow
Happy good one. Even me, who lives in Glasgow, works in Asia and only ski local about 5x a year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on your industry, Turin is surely fairly decent. But I would also have to go with Munich.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sapporo, but the language won't any easier wink

Munich would be the obvious choice, other than the German. I'd have thought Milan too, plus as others have said Vancouver and Seattle.

Santiago??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi @AndreSilva,
I don't know what flavour of "softy" you are ....
but your dear wife is a business analyst, which is pretty flexible

If you are in the engineering field such as Telecoms or machinery .. then I would go for Munich.
But if its financial software you would probably have to go to London and Ski in Becton Alps.

Germany (Like Holland) is very tolerant of non native speakers who can speak good English and it will be much easier for your wife to get a good job.

Good Luck anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

But if its financial software you would probably have to go to London and Ski in Becton Alps

Sorry but the Becton Alp ski slope closed years ago
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boarder2020 wrote:
NYC is bar far the best city of all those mentioned. I'm not quite sure I'd consider it a good option for skiing though. There's a big difference imo in being able to say on Friday night oh the forecast is good let's go skiing tomorrow, Vs having to buy flights and plan accomodation weeks in advance. I guess it depends what constitutes "near", if NYC counts you could add London too.

NYC is a good CITY. But access to skiing isn't its strong suit.

If you need to get on a plane, it's not "easy access". That said, you CAN drive up to southern Vermont if you don't mind getting up at 5am...

I won't suggest anything in the east coast of north America because the skiing is subpar. That said, that's where the "big cities" are. So... of the northeast, there're a couple stand out:

Boston - It's got lots of jobs. It's a proper city, sky scrapers and traffic and all that. Night life is vibrant. Ski access is ok'ish. You need a car, and you can get to some proper mountains in 2-3 hours. Not great for day trip, but definitely doable for a weekend. Much better than NYC

Montreal - It's a bilingual city. So English will do perfectly well. Several pretty decent mountains with good skiing are within an hour of driving. Nightlife is fantastic!

The problem with eastern US/Canada is the weather. It's too close to the sea. So a lot of the time, the cloud brings rain instead of snow. Still, you WILL have decent skiing some of the time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW, I read this thread with incredible envy! Wish I had done that a couple decades back.

I lived in NYC for ~15 year now. I love it. (yes, I totally get your desire of "big city") But that comes at a price of not motivated enough to go try living elsewhere, which I'm sure could be nice in their own way.

(I did try to look for jobs in several other places, Zurich, Calgary. But never got far enough to actually move... Oh wait, I did, San Francisco for 3 years. OK, I should stop feeling envy now)

Now I'm no longer young and have boundless energy. The challenge of working in a different country feels more like stress I don't need.

So good luck with your hunt. And enjoy it wherever you end up! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Montreal - It's a bilingual city. So English will do perfectly well.

English in Quebec?! I've not been to Montreal so maybe it's a bit different, but speaking English in Quebec is not exactly the way to endear yourself to the locals. Have an English speaking Canadian friend that grew up in Quebec and heard some horror storys e.g. being spat on in a bar for speaking English.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Montreal - It's a bilingual city. So English will do perfectly well.

English in Quebec?! I've not been to Montreal so maybe it's a bit different, but speaking English in Quebec is not exactly the way to endear yourself to the locals. Have an English speaking Canadian friend that grew up in Quebec and heard some horror storys e.g. being spat on in a bar for speaking English.

Montreal is not the same as Quebec City or rural Quebec- it's like a split personality with English Universities and French Canadian culture - greater mutual tolerance. But the skiing is ice coast rather than west so reason enough to rule it out if that's important.

For N America-

Young and the patience to wait till you can afford to buy sensible size properties - Vancouver,
Want something more affordable and a bit of crapper city - Denver.
Prepared to take a punt on more of a start up / Silicon Valley spillover - Reno but costs are rising rapidly.

Salt Lake City - horrible hot smoggy place. OK if you lived on the benches near the mouth of the canyons. Religious right still have a strong hold over things but a bit of a influx of tech/med/outdoor liberals to moderate that and bring brewpubs. Skiing great and right on your doorstep but lots of competition for tracks on pow days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Montreal is bilingual yes but if you speak french you'll be far more popular. I was there with my french girlfriend and I spoke french most of the time. In fact I though Montreal was more french than France in many ways Laughing I adored the place, much nicer than Toronto.

We went whale watching east of Quebec City on the St Lawrence and some of the locals there hardly spoke any English. Passed the local "Hill" which you'd hardly get out of bed for.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on work (for my wife and myself)

Geneva (good pay + work opportunities)
Munich (bit far from mountains though)
Milan (cheap flights)
Innsbruck (retirement goals)

N. America
San Francisco (far from mountains but I love Tahoe+good work opportunities )
Denver (not a very pretty city and traffic to mountains is insane)
Vancouver (nice people but meh)
Salt lake city (weird religious place but great skiing right on the doorstep)
Montreal (cool culture)

Zurich is a bit ......dull

So on balance it would probably be Geneva..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

buy sensible size properties - Vancouver,

Remember to add on the foreign buyers tax when looking at prices!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wellington? Bloody long way away, the skiing’s a bit limited (unless you heli) and either a longish drive on North Island but a short (and very frequent) flight to Queenstown. It has some slightly tall buildings. However: they speak English (sort of) and there’s lots of techy type jobs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tehran ............. lots of great skiing within a few hours hike. Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy