Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid mountain resorts have a decade to convert from skiing...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@polo, NASA is unconvinced that a grand solar minimum is going to be the panacea that you (and I) are hoping for and that it is likely to have the same effect as removing three years worth of warming

https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2953/there-is-no-impending-mini-ice-age/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boarder2020 wrote:
I would be interested for some suggetions of some nice more off the beaten path treks to try in the Alps, maybe I can have my opinion changed.

How about the Maurienne?
I'm biased as I spend all summer here (and winter), walking when I can and as long as you avoid the Vanoise National Park in July and August you hardly meet a soul.
And if you use the marked paths only for access to interesting places you don't usually come across many people even in summer.
There are web sites where you can check out interesting routes that are to your taste so you know what 'goes' before you get there, or you can just explore.
Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ed_sec, You're a lucky man in one of the nicer places in the world that has yet to have the full commercial exploitation crush it. Plus of course access to the best skiing in the 3V and many other places.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It works for me
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

@boarder2020, surely as this is about how ski resorts/villages can (return to) appeal summer visitors, then you're never going to be part of the demographic they need to appeal to.

Well i did also offer some ideas that I think would work, and was simply suggesting I don't think hikers are the solution. Knowing who not to target seems relatively important. I agree though it has drifted off thread now. I will leave it as you are right the European Alps is never going to appeal to me more than a lot of the other mountain ranges (Pamirs, Himalayas, Andes, town Shan etc.).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

@boarder2020, surely as this is about how ski resorts/villages can (return to) appeal summer visitors, then you're never going to be part of the demographic they need to appeal to.

Well i did also offer some ideas that I think would work, and was simply suggesting I don't think hikers are the solution. Knowing who not to target seems relatively important. I agree though it has drifted off thread now. I will leave it as you are right the European Alps is never going to appeal to me more than a lot of the other mountain ranges (Pamirs, Himalayas, Andes, town Shan etc.).

There's plenty of people who are "recreational hikers" or sunday strollers compared to serious Munro baggers just as people who ski outnumber the hardcore offpiste lunch is for wimps set. Just look at the people on valley or lakeside paths in the Lake District for instance. Chairlifts and point to point ridge walks with a nice hut stop are ideal summer activities with little of the slog (although from my experience in Austria deciding to walk down and out can end up in a new form of "downhill slog"). But the absolute number who will do a holiday for that are a sizeable but still limited pool so resorts pivoting into that offering need to have some investment in it (like free lift passes) and commitment (like good hiking maps, well signed trails and scrub clearance)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, it's not just hikers that are attracted to resorts in the Summer.

A good Summer resort is invariably not up a mountain, but in a valley and linked to other valleys via Cols that are obviously open in the Summer, many visitors will move around spreading their stay out in various locations and will move around, for instance, a couple of days in the Maurienne then over the Galibier to Serre Che, few days there, then over the Izoard into the Queyras or across and into Italy.

And depending on their discipline they'll get their fix on the various elements on offer, be it climbing a selection of Via Ferrata, rock climbing, kayaking known good spots, road cycling famous cols or just cycle touring the Route de Napoleon etc etc

The explosion of e-biking has also added a new activity on the menu as well.

The likes of Tignes and others are trying to get a share of the Summer cake but it's difficult when you're above the treeline and don't have the heritage of summer activities that the more established villages and valleys do.

And the ski resorts are also up against the Valleys that are more popular in the Summer that don't even have any lift infrastructure, I'm pretty sure the likes of Nevache Vallée de la Clarée and Ailefroide Vallouise-Pelvoux in the Écrins are some of the most popular Summer Mountain destinations in France with circa 600k estimated to visit Vallée de la Clarée, high season I don't go anywhere near it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy