Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really basic ski maintenance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been reading a hell of lot topics and articles about how to maintain your ski's. But most of the times It ends up that you have to buy 100's of euros worth of equipment.
As I ski just one or two weeks a year it all seems a little overkill to me. I can offcourse have my servicing done by a ski-shop, but I'd rather do it myself.
What is REALLY necessary to do this:

* some basic base repair with P-tex candles
* waxing
* sharpening the edges

I will have my edge tuning done by a ski-shop because it only has to done once (I suppose) and the tools necessary seem pretty expensive.

It seems to me a lot of those specific tools can be replaced by more common ones: plastic scraper => piece of plexi/plastic; metal scraper => piece of metal; waxing iron => regular iron; waxing nylon brush => nail brush.

I reallise I will not achieve maximum peformance, and it will take more time without all those specific products, but I have time.

Is basic and cheap a crazy idea, or is it possible?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pip, Agreed, however you'll need to have keen hand to eye co-ordination. How good are you at darts, eye surgery, watchmaking? Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perfectly possible to do basic servicing with that kind of equipment. A cheap travel iron will be good for waxing (avoid steam irons because of the holes in the base plate). I think a standard nail brush might be a bit coarse for brushing the wax, so if you can find a softer bristle (horsehair, perhaps) that would be better. I'd be wary of using any old piece of plastic or metal to scrape the base of my skis (no good economising on the tools if you're going to damage your expensive skis), but these two items aren't that expensive compared to the cost of repairing gouged ski bases.

The one item I'd suggest you add to your list would be a diamond stone for keeping your edges in good nick. This will reduce the frequency with which you take your skis to be edged by a ski technician.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pip,

as for a wax brush.....go to a supermarket and pick up a pack of vilida supapads in green, (plastic scourer thingy) wery effective for finishing wax

what rob@rar.org.uk, says about diamond file is a good idea, Hominkol make a tiny one mounted in an adjustable holder retails around £15-£18 try bartletts for this
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, Diamond Files, super cheap from Catering/Butchery supplies. I have one 80mm/300mm, 25 of your english quids. Easy as my dad kills animals, hacks them up with knives, minces their hearts and lungs up into dog food.

Any Vegans on Snowheads today? Oi! You're top of the food chain and Budda is as real as Santa Claus. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pip, The only thing I would add is get your ptex repairs done professionally as they are not easy to do well without some practice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the advice. Those superpads seem a good idea. Another thing: when using a diamond stone, can it be done with just a stone, or is a holder necessary?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pip wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. Those superpads seem a good idea. Another thing: when using a diamond stone, can it be done with just a stone, or is a holder necessary?

In theory it can be done if you can hold the stone at exactly the same angle along the edge. In practice this is impossible so use a guide.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
... Easy as my dad kills animals, hacks them up with knives, minces their hearts and lungs up into dog food...

Better keep him away from the zoo then...or is that why you're advertising vacancies? Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pip, Have a look at www.datawax.com (I think) - Data Ski wax anyway. They do a kit (£30 ish) which contains everything you need (other than a vice, and iron), and it's not too expensive .....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy