Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2020 - 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Yes Snowsports England have confirmed that outdoor snow sports facilities can open subject to setting out their Covid procedures.Watching the weather forecast for the weekend ......will it...won’t it
And in the words of Ray Winston: "Do yer? Don't yer?" Woo hoo Peter S - you're confirming we do! Great news amidst such dark times Very Happy

Time to dust off the kit...heat up the waxing iron....and spend all my time doing snow dances over the next few days !! Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forthcoming Pennines/Raise snow amounts now significantly downgraded on Snow-Forecast.com Sad Now down to only 4 or 5cm from 16cm yesterday.

Hopefully time for it to change again. The snow dance continues Smile.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, best bet is not to look at the snow-forecast.com, nobody can predict quantities. The local Yorkshire forecast was saying amounts in heavy showers could be vary hugely!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm still holding out for my original 2 meter forecast!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pomas going on today and webcam now fixed. Even if we do get enough it will certainly be thin, nearer 2cm than 2M Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Peter S, fingers crossed!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worth a walk up anyway. Fingers crossed indeed.
Mind you, I remember a certain 3 continuous days last pre Xmas, all giddy we were: and look where that then got us Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
16th December last year, then. Will we beat that? (Admin, we need a prayer & snow dance emoji!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Admin, we need a prayer & snow dance emoji!)
Indeed - though, emoji or not, Yad Moss now back up to 16cm forecast Very Happy (Though freezing level could do with dropping a bit - good for access though...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been looking at all the northern England Pennines ski websites....

This is mainly in eager anticipation of some snow Very Happy but I'm also trying to work out how to use my Weardale membership on a reciprocal basis at the other areas.

I have previously used my membership to buy a day pass at reduced rate at Yad Moss on a weekend; and understand that I could do the same at Raise, but on weekdays only.

However, I can't find any details of Allenheads arrangements. Can anybody advise? Particularly as they appear to offer skiing only for members who have paid the annual fee - no mention of day tickets...

They do mention reciprocal arrangements for their members at Weardale and Yad Moss though - so there must be something in place for members of those clubs to ski at Allenheads?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Things are or may be a bit different this year so far as reciprocals are concerned; for instance, Weardale are not allowing Yad members at weekends, I think, in anticipation of large attendance numbers.
In previous years I have gone to Allenheads several times weekday and weekends, and paid a reduced day rate (not that I've ever seen them busy as such) on my Yad membership.
Allenheads full membership wouldn't exactly break the bank though. And you can usually join on the day (though again this year it might need going online).

Have you ever actually been to Allenheads, BTW? It's a shallow field with 1 or 2 short rope tows. Great when the others are closed, and for beginners or kids or those wanting to practice little jumps or tricks, but don't expect too much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Have you ever actually been to Allenheads, BTW? It's a shallow field with 1 or 2 short rope tows.
I've seen photos and a You Tube video so know that it doesn't rival The 3 Vallees (or Weardale wink) - but would love to go to add it to my list of lift-served English snow skiing.

That would complete the North Pennines and Lake District - leaving Another World near Halifax still to do....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I’ve never skied here either. Is it meant to be good?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
By the standards of the Team Brecon Beacons that looks entirely sufficient.
snow report
Nearly 2 meters

ski holidays
philwig wrote:
By the standards of the Team Brecon Beacons that looks entirely sufficient.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
There's visible white over a lot of the Pennine tops this morning, so fingers crossed there'll be quite a bit more. snowHead Not exactly bluebird forecast afterwards tho' Confused
snow report
Seems North Yorkshire got the bulk of the snow.

latest report
1C and wet sleet on Bodmin Moor right now.
That's probably as close to snow I'll get this year.
snow report
Snowing in Cumbria now

snow report
Around 3cm in Colchester (entirely accept this is off topic). Winter tyres went on yesterday just in time for travel to the Northern powderhouse, well W Yorkshire anyway, tonight. snowHead

My car looks exactly the same as the one above.
snow conditions
Yad Moss is looking good this morning

ski holidays
Howhill webcam showing reasonable snow - crucially it looks like the temperature at Yad is going to be around 0 deg C. Annoyingly the weather radar has rain snow mix falling at the moment.

snow conditions
Lots of snow high up in the Peaks! Let's hope there is more to come overnight!

latest report

Tow opening tomorrow Cool
snow conditions
From Yad website: Day tickets will be available although regrettably this year there will be no discount for Weardale or Raise season ticket holders. Must be to keep out the Tier 3 Weardale riff raff... Laughing

But really, why's that then? Just to discourage people amidst the pandemic Puzzled
snow report
Decision by WDSC and LDSC because of potential capacity issues I think.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went up to Weardale today for a spot of ski touring - lots of snow and chains required for the access road.

Visibility was very poor - thick fog & light snow on our ascent to the top. Nevertheless, it was just fantastic to be back out in the snow Very Happy Cover was fairly extensive with drifts of one or two feet in places - breaking trail made for a good workout.

As is usually the case in the Pennines, the wind was very strong at the top - so the usual flapping of the skins as we removed them from the skis...

The snow then turned to rain just as we set off down, meaning turns were hard work in the sticky, wet snow.

Amazingly, one of the Weardale operators then turned up on a skidoo, to do a bit of maintenance....and switched on the F1 tow just for us! What a fantastic bonus - our own private ski run Laughing

The snow got even heavier, slower and stickier in the rain but we still had a great time - in the words of a 70s singer who shall remain nameless: "Good to be back!" - even if we did get a soaking in the end...

We're keeping an eye on the forecast - but it's looking like tomorrow at Yad Moss will be very hard going based on Weardale today. By the time we left, snow lower down was disappearing and the ground was very soggy. The road was almost clear too. Tomorrow will be a day for diehards, I would suggest....

I was going to post some pics - but have just seen that Snowmediazone won't allow it any more as it's closing... Confused

Can anyone advise how I can post pics directly onto here? (I really am rubbish with stuff like this....)
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, use imgur.com to upload the picture, then click the three dots, get share links and copy the BBCode (Forums) one
snow report
Temperature now dropping. Should start to freeze up again soon.
https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/WeatherStations/A686Hartside.asp
snow conditions
Quote:
use imgur.com to upload the picture
After downloading the app, it just seems to bring up a load of zany/viral videos? Can't see anywhere to upload photos.... Puzzled
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, plus button top right , or use the website
snow report
What's up with the Yad Website page, Peter? Webcams seem to have stopped showing anything (or looks like a coloured night shot), no up to date report of if you are open (just still says hope to open tomorrow on Friday's report) - and Facebook page not saying anything either.
Hope that you had fun if you were open. I didn't know whether it was worth the panic to get gear out, given possible very marginal conditions (but could only judge by the Weardale webcams and e-mailed reports).
Hope to see you next time.

EDIT - Yad cams now working and today's report up. Looks like useable Pennine conditions, and hopefully they'll run tomorrow too. Looks better than Weardale, maybe? Just seen the pics on their FB site: keen and hopeful attendees but more grass than snow, it seems. Still, good efforts for 5th December Very Happy
snow report
Weardale Report - 5.12.20:

Two words: Extremely challenging rolling eyes

A lot of snow had been lost since our visit yesterday and the access road was clear. However, en-route, cars in Wolsingham and Daddry Shield were covered in thick frost, meaning yesterday's wet snow had frozen overnight - into breakable crust at best; unskiable/dangerous ruts at worst... Confused .

It was survival skiing at its finest - the safest course of action was to turn on the grass where the snow was thinnest! Shocked .

There was no let up in the icy conditions - but it was a sunny day, the views were great and it was nice to be out.
latest report
Good day today though the frozen snow was a bit tough first thing. Rather worn and rough by the end of the day on the main run but tomorrow we’ll probably ski powder gulley and ‘ Yad the Impaler’ instead. Bit of new snow forecast overnight but fog tomorrow unfortunately Sad
Power problem with the webcam I think. About a 100 folk up today.

ski holidays
@mountainaddict, pics!!!!
ski holidays
Chair (?) of Weardale quoted as saying that UK skiing is a "grassroots sport".
Indeed Toofy Grin
Brave folks out today. My knees salute you.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Weardale Report - 5.12.20:

Two words: Extremely challenging rolling eyes

My favourite description of conditions comes from a report on Raise - Tufted Brûlée

Two runs skied into condition after an hour or so. Main run was getting scrubbed at the top. Nice to be out but breakable crust on the first run of the season was definitely type two fun fortunately it morphed into type one later in the day.
snow conditions
Bit worn at Yad Moss but three runs skiable and the snow was easier today. Just 30 or so aficionados so quite laid back and mellow for the Committee Cool

Two days in the Pennines is equivalent to a third of a ski holiday Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy