Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2020 - 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Saw some pictures today of the area around the ticket office. Conditions are superb Sad

On Saturday morning the met office app is forecasting -10c and 70mph SE gusts at the summit of Yad Moss. That would give a chill equivalent of -50c. Ouch Shocked

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-02-21 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wind speed increasing up to 70mph. Humidity down to 40%. Should be some big drifts on the northern side of the fences by tomorrow as the dry cold snow blows down from the top in the fierce south easterly wind,
High Pennine roads are already blowing in again today.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/210007756478593/permalink/897748177704544/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great Dun Fell currently minus 10 and 41mph. Unfortunately the Yad Cam is not updating at the moment. Given the drifting on the Pennine roads this morning I would imagine there are some big drifts around.
Unfortunately the weather breaks down tomorrow. Snow turning to rain and more rain during the week. Perhaps March now before the next cool spell.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great interview about lockdown skiing on Radio 4 this morning. Starts at 8:20 with Gordon Oliver of the LDSC Cool
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000s7j7
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today is the last day of the sub- zero temps and the locally stellar skiing conditions. The breakdown has arrived with rain and gales.

Still plenty of time to turn colder again. A March long fetch easterly would be nice snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still good cover at Yad Moss which indicates how deep the snow has been
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/webcams/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The remaining cover is pretty impressive - no surprise the half term hairdryer is going to be in full effect. So much for hoping we might drop into a settled cool pattern that might preserve cover long enough to be able to get out to it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’ll probably do the thing that usually happens in the Pennines. Most or all of this snow will now melt before the next cold spell, sometime in March?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds as though skiing could restart on the 29th March. Just possible that we could get some late turns Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cooling down slowly into March. Light snow now showing up on Thursday and sub zero into the weekend. North easterly flow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing in the Pennines this morning as we enter a cool spell.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/webcams/

Snowing again today and this weekend. Probably too much to hope for that the next cool spell will coincide with the end of lock down Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weardale Ski Club newsletter has arrived, including a lockdown update.

No refund or credit re. membership fees - just have to suck it up and accept that the ££££ will be invested in the club.

I expect a lot of members will be rather disappointed - especially those who didn't get to ski at all because of lockdown...Mrs MA and I got 5 days of touring/lift assisted Weardale skiing, so are counting ourselves as very lucky.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suspect that supporters of Weardale will accept that this is best for the club, best for the future generally. I am an occasional Yad Moss annual member. Not every year but more often in than out. If you want Pennine Skiing then it’s a chance you take.
I haven’t been this year. My postcode is CA5 and I wouldn’t qualify as “local” under the rules even though I live locally in my eyes.
It’s the way it is.
Keep the support going
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I suspect that supporters of Weardale will accept that this is best for the club, best for the future generally
As a long-standing member, that's my view - but I think that someone who only joined this year might think it might be similar to if they'd bought a season pass for somewhere in The Alps...
snow report
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:
I think that someone who only joined this year might think it might be similar to if they'd bought a season pass for somewhere in The Alps...

It's identical. No travel and no skiing.

I'm not sure what else you might mean.
ski holidays
Quote:
It's identical. No travel and no skiing.
I'm not sure what else you might mean.
The difference I'm referring to is no money back - see all the reports on Snowheads of season ticket refunds in the Alps, US etc.
snow conditions
The difference is “goodwill”.
The difference between a multi National international commercial business on the one hand, and a local small volunteer led facility run by and for local enthusiasts
latest report
Quote:
The difference is “goodwill”.
The difference between a multi National international commercial business on the one hand, and a local small volunteer led facility run by and for local enthusiasts
I agree entirely. The point I have (somewhat unsuccessfully) tried to make is that, as a longstanding Weardale member, that's all fine by me.

However, I am fairly sure that some more-recent members, who have not been able to ski at all this winter, may have a very different view.
snow report
@mountainaddict, my apologies if I misinterpreted your thoughts.
I think that people who join the club are likely to be understanding
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, @JohnHSmith, I am a member at Yad Moss, have been for several years. For various reasons not skied there at all this season or last but have absolutely no problem with the club retaining the money and using it as they need, which I am sure they will for maintenance, improvements etc. They don't seem the type of people to waste money ! At the end of the day the annual pass is a bit of a punt on the weather etc. and guarantees you a day there whenever conditions permit. I cannot see why any new member should not not take the same long term view for the relatively small amount of money involved. Also, IIRC, you get a discount for renewal ?
@Peter S, April snow ? Yes please Smile
snow conditions
Hi skitow, that would be nice and we would be ready to go. Snow possible for Friday and Saturday but skiable conditions would be a long shot and we are not allowed to open anyway before the 29th March.

We don’t sell season tickets after 31st October and we did have three days skiing before the current lockdown but since then we have missed out on some very good days I’m afraid.

I would expect returning season ticket holders next year to get a £15 discount again at circa £40.
latest report
Quote:
Snow possible for Friday and Saturday

This morning's Yad & Weardale cams

snow report
After temperatures up to 21C in the north east tomorrow Shocked, the outlook may be for some North Pennines snow over Easter weekend.

It's not unknown for Weardale & Yad Moss to go from no snow to lifts running in early April...

Snow dances R us!! wink
ski holidays
Yes from today we can open again. Just need enough snow and some willing volunteers.
The last time we skied in April at YD was 2019.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Yes from today we can open again. Just need enough snow and some willing volunteers.

Open for Who exactly... Local Club Members only or ALL Club Members Puzzled
snow report
cc_7up wrote:
Peter S wrote:

Open for Who exactly... Local Club Members only or ALL Club Members Puzzled

All members, presumably - given that day trips to anywhere in England are now permitted. wink
snow report
Isn’t the English rule to minimise travel?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The members are season ticket holders. Depending on the travel restrictions and a risk assessment would determine the availability of day tickets.
Academic at the moment but a big change in the weather is on the way from Sunday.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

It's "guidance."

Matt Hancock was on the radio yesterday saying he's driving to Suffolk (or was it Norfolk?) to see his parents at Easter, and that is permissible as he is making the trip in a day (and not staying overnight).

If it's good enough for them.... wink
ski holidays
I may need a run out up to Teesdale to test my eyes, which haven't been great of late.

I've heard that that's permissible no matter what restrictions are in place wink
snow conditions
Not sure much is forecast but it would be superb if we got enough to open!!
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
kitenski wrote:

It's "guidance."

Matt Hancock was on the radio yesterday saying he's driving to Suffolk (or was it Norfolk?) to see his parents at Easter, and that is permissible as he is making the trip in a day (and not staying overnight).

If it's good enough for them.... wink

Good luck with trying to persuade Coppers with that little Gem of a Story whilst they are still fining people £200 for travelling as little as five miles from their homes...
ski holidays
Quote:
Good luck with trying to persuade Coppers with that little Gem of a Story whilst they are still fining people £200 for travelling as little as five miles from their homes...
Have now seen a TV interview with Matt Hancock - where he clearly stated it is permissible to drive anywhere in England as long as no overnight stay is involved. Seems pretty clear to me...
latest report
Cold air starting to arrive in northern Scotland. Forecast down to minus 9 at Yad Moss by 9am tomorrow. Looks dry though until later in the week.
ski holidays
Weardale: 07.15, Sun 11 April 2021

ski holidays
Didn’t survive the rising sun. I guess this cold patch was our last hope - but just didn’t get the precipitation to go with it. Skis going back into storage on Wednesday. That is my official raising of the white flag for this season.

ski holidays
Quote:
That is my official raising of the white flag for this season
Scotland could yet be a goer
JohnMo Puzzled
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
That is my official raising of the white flag for this season
Scotland could yet be a goer
JohnMo Puzzled

True. Wouldn’t mind a bit of touring.
snow report
Quote:
Wouldn’t mind a bit of touring
Touring....heather-hopping....wading waist-deep through bogs to ski a patch of snow? Bring it on! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy