Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2020 - 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Managed a few turns at a local country park today - on about 2cm of refrozen snow, which we soon skied into a piste Very Happy .

Very shallow gradient and couloir width but - as has been mentioned earlier - beggars can't be choosers these days. Turns are turns! Laughing

Lovely day for it too.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’d need to work out how to upload them I’m afraid Laughing
It’s been a fabulous winter day here. Managed a lunch time ski right from the garage again but not really steep enough for downhill where I went. The snow is excellent for cross country though and plenty of it. Temperature is now plummeting -2.1 at 200m and will probably fall to -3 or -4 here before it starts to climb as the next front approaches. A bit more snow tomorrow but turning to rain and by Monday it’s probably mostly gone at this altitude. Cooler back end of next week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got in some reasonable rough walking on our local wintery fells - and, yes, it was a glorious day - but whilst the snow is again good to marvellous (fluffy sparkling powder, crunchy, slippery as heck and deep in places, topped off with windslab) the darn Open Access bits of hills are all covered in a mix of bog, reed grass and thick heather and the hard tracks full of huge chippings and stones. Grrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad Anything with shorter grass and boardable or skiable is private land, the farmers aren't exactly snowsports friendly and the locals residents are tutting in their masses if you travel anywhere not from your front door (I got interrogated twice today on a usual, very local path) or appear like you're having fun rolling eyes Just a teeny tad too far to justify driving to Yad or its adjoining slopes atm, I fear.
Jealous of anyone getting anything in.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The place we used to ski around there with a portable tow was the field opposite the miners cottages at Hallbankgate, https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.93084,-2.604956,337.08h,1.48p,1.42z
but I can imagine there might be some local tensions right now.

The summer is the time to check out potential local ski areas- steep slopes, open access or PROWs, short grass, altitude, accessible etc.

Covid numbers continue to head down right across the north today. Good news snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The summer is the time to check out potential local ski areas- steep slopes, open access or PROWs, short grass, altitude, accessible etc.

Or when it looks like another national lockdown is due - a couple of my Christmas walks were to have a look at a few of the fells.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been particularly looking out for any potentially-useful areas lately, pre and during lockdown. Sadly, there's just not any useable in the immediate (defensible distance during lockdown) vicinity without getting the (as yet unknown) landowner's permission - and round here they all hate even walkers! (Get in enough trouble on CROW land, and many PRoWs are made inaccessible.) Being only 15-20 mins' drive to the Yad or Weardale or Allenheads areas, it never seemed that it would be a problem... Crying or Very sad If we keep on getting locked down, however, and if we keep on getting snow, some potential options will, one way or the other, have to be exercised.
If there's enough snow, we have actually discovered that there's a good freestyle board (?ski) half pipe literally opposite our house. Though it does have some nasty mole hill hazards in it - not at all fun when frozen, as I found out just walking over one. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter S, I know exactly where that field is. Would be great if they ran a tow there now. Suspect not much snow, though: driven past a few times this year, and hasn't been much depth down that way at all (if any at all) when even we've had some. Wasn't even much on Cold Fell & its neighbours (walked once, viewed a few times). Has all fallen more towards the southern northern fells (i.e. Alston and Teesdale/Weardale) and the Hexham tops.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Sunday is going to have a feature on Weardale Ski Club this week - they filmed at the club a couple of times of the last two seasons.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will look out for that Cool

More snow this week and then ending on a cold note.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great item about Weardale. Cool Really caught the Pennine skiing ethos snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Great item about Weardale. Really caught the Pennine skiing ethos
Yes, an excellent feature - it very much accentuated the positives (and showed us what we're missing at present... rolling eyes)

And I'm absolutely delighted that I can now slip into apres-ski conversation "Ah, yes, when I appeared on Ski Sunday...." Laughing

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Really good, captured everything including the off piste from Chapel Fell in the bit at the end after the main film.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great to see that bit on SS. Shame that they couldn't have included Yad too.
Loads of keen new members of WSC Facebook pages already this evening!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Sunday 17/01/2021

'Weardale Ski Club'

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.cook.581/videos/10225529469644167/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unfortunately we are going to be just the wrong side of the mild air. Potentially up to 200mm of rain (nearly 8 inches!!) over the next 48 hrs.

In the north Glencoe looks to have done well today and the Lowther hills could do well on Wednesday.
The even better news is that the Covid cases seem to be dropping quite quickly now.
ski holidays
Last sentence.....................really? I think not...........
snow conditions
After being widely exposed on the Ski Sunday Prog, has the WSC Office been overwhelmed by Phone Calls, E-mails, Social Media and Sponsors, Etc, wanting to know even more about the Club? Could a tasteful 'Calendar Girls' style Mixed Photo Shoot of the Club's 'Inner Circle of Elders and Staff' featuring discretely placed Skiing/Boarding paraphernalia be in the offing, perhaps?

'We're Going To Need Considerably Bigger (pole) Baskets'

Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 22-01-21 20:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cooler air now arriving in northern England. The direction of the snow is good for Weardale and Raise, hypothetically speaking of course.
snow report
@cc_7up, happen to be someone on Facebook with initials RB? Or just copied it from there Laughing
ski holidays
http://www.durham.gov.uk/weathercameras?action=detail&camera=13
ski holidays
Looking at the Radar the switch happened around 19:00 but looking at Yad Cams things were going grey around 16:00. Hopefully 24hrs of snow is now on the cards to make up for the depressing levels of snow.
latest report
Quote:
Hopefully 24hrs of snow is now on the cards to make up for the depressing levels of snow
...But that won't make up for the depressing lockdown that's set to run and run... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Wind direction is straight up the slope so not ideal.
latest report
Better for Weardale, would have been ideal for Harwood and Teesdale. It's more that we are getting some in the North Pennines even if we can't get at it. A good season for snow is a good season for snow. I feel more optimistic for it. Snowing in North Cumbria but still a bit to wet, probably lying above 250m. Hopefully enough to get out somewhere in the Northern Fells this weekend.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Wind direction is straight up the slope so not ideal.

I said it before - movable cross slope fences! Now we have the means to put 8ft straining posts in the ground there's a strong enough achor to take the wind loading.
snow report
Raise, Yad Moss, Allenheads and Weardale all look skiable with a bit of pisting. Cold but dry next 4 days.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 22-01-21 9:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
And how many of us can really justify going there if stopped by Plod? Puzzled Confused Sad

Out of interest, have there been many skiers, boarders or sledgers (or walkers) going up during Lockdown?) Heard a few locals saying that people had been stopped in the area. Also seen the roads, not always been well or promptly cleared (from my side, anyway).
snow report
Don’t think there have been many. It’s 7 miles to Alston and 14 miles to Middleton and they are not very large centres. There has been a bit of essential maintenance but that’s it until the lockdown ends. It’s useful to estimate how many days skiing the club has missed. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That last day Yad was open there were sledgers from a long, long way further that Middleton or Alston! Many complaints on Alston FB page about people from Newcastle way and the nasty "North East" stopping in Alston to ask directions, ask where they could go sledging, etc. Certainly seen some subsequent comments regarding "visitors" to the area to enjoy the snow (again, seems to be sledgers mentioned) being stopped by a Police presence there - though I'd have thought that they'd have had much better things to do.

Tempting. So blinking tempting... Confused Crying or Very sad
snow report
Quote:
Tempting. So blinking tempting...
And nowhere near as dangerous as attending a crowded rave, or wedding of 400 guests - as has happened today....But just as illegal.

C'est la vie... Confused
snow report
Grizzler that was during the Tier4 period. People were visiting The fells right across northern England wherever there was snow. I haven’t seen anyone on the webcam since lockdown.

With the humidity now dropping away and the soil temperature already low we should see the ground freeze hard this weekend. Wind driven frost should turn the wet peat and snow into iron. The outlook is dry into next week.

Covid rates seem to have dropped further across the north and are now below 400 per 100,000 in Eden, which is at least slightly more encouraging news.

MA you don’t want to look at any of the Scottish webcams right now Sad
latest report
Quote:
MA you don’t want to look at any of the Scottish webcams right now
Cheers Peter S, I won't! The Radio 2 travel news was bad enough today - that the A9 was passable with care at Carrbridge due to snow... Confused

I'm trying to remain positive - though very disheartened by the sudden realisation yesterday that the government may be conditioning us to writing off the next 5 or 6 months in lockdown...

Never mind getting up to Scotland in May or June for ski touring, I'm coming round to writing off the whole of 2021... Confused
latest report
https://www.windy.com/54.700/-2.098?snowAccu,54.365,-2.191,8
latest report
@mountainaddict, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we can claim any form of real normality by Xmas this year (even with masks and distancing) or winter then onwards. I'm resigned to being excited if I can get some slides in at any Pennine club in 21/22, Scotland being a bonus. And then there's the next year, and the next and the next...
Maybe some small chances still for this year/season, but nowhere near as optimistic as I was, even if the weather plays ball.
Please prove me wrong.
snow report
A little more snow today and an upgrade for Thursday/Friday https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=44af8f90-d6ea-4b8e-ab84-6a1de9cd76b6&date=2021-01-28

Every Thursday it snows here snowHead

30cms would be nice......vicariously speaking .... and the easterly direction would be good for the Pennines.
snow conditions
More northern powderhouse skiing on the telly. This time it was the Lake District Ski Club on the BBC Four programme Life of a mountain: a year on Helvellyn. A great piece to camera by Mike Sweeny chair of the LDSC Cool Great stuff, hope you can get back up there this season.
snow report
Looking like Thursday is downgrading with Friday going wet - oh well.
ski holidays
Another 10-15cms overnight. Turning milder with rain and then cooler over the weekend and possibly into next week.
latest report
Cold this weekend with a possible dusting tonight. More snow next week and then ?? snowHead
snow conditions
Dusting is right, definitely not the hoped for snow cover. North Pennines have done better than the Lakes were there doesn't even seem to have been a meagre amount.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy