Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2020 - 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Probably fewer Police around too
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peter S, I ran around a local golf course, really wet in places under the snow so was thinking the skins would just ball up and get soaked!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
After today’s snow I could be on for a rare ‘Garage Door tour’ tonight
Good on you Peter S Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meanwhile, in The Pennines this weekend....Shall we click on the webcams and see what we could've won?? Crying or Very sad

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a blessing in disguise the Yad Cams being out. Although going of some of the road reports and photos from Alston Moor / Upper Teesdale there's a lot of drifting. Apparently there's not much snow around Middleton so it's been a very localised again.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was about to post that, having just seen some of today's and tonight's local road watch Facebook group photos and videos, the chances of being able to get anywhere near Yad in a vehicle are zero. It's thigh deep on the road at and near to Yad itself, around Ashgill and just over into the Co. Durham side! Not even been really windy, so not drifts as such, just snow. (Not had the expected forecast snow here at all today do, yes, very localised indeed - though everywhere had a fair bit last night.)
Crazy!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hartside and Wear head are both open this morning I think and the Garragill road is open so it should just be a case of running the plough over. Conditions will be amazing and of course it would have been possible to piste the runs, probably a few times by now this week Sad

Should be some excellent local skiing available today though. Got back from my tour at midnight. Quite nice putting the skis on in the garage and skiing back to your garage door on good quality frozen snow. Managed a thousand feet of vertical and 5.83 miles. Didn’t see a soul Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.howhill.com/weather/webcam.php
Sunrise over a (probably) perfect Yad Moss Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Hartside and Wear head are both open this morning I think and the Garragill road is open so it should just be a case of running the plough over. Conditions will be amazing and of course it would have been possible to piste the runs, probably a few times by now this week Sad

All trumped by the stay local. Lets keep North Pennine Covid infamy down to Mr Cummings goes to Barney rather than the UK ski population comes to Yad. If it's anything like spring the local communities are going to be a bit jumpy about big influxes of visitors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So I've just learned that there are actually functioning ski runs in England! Laughing I would so have turned up last year if I'd known, infinitely better than Chill Factore! Super happy to to hear this is a thing haha

Can I just ask regarding Yad Moss and Raise - how does it work (in normal times)? I've seen that they have yearly membership or day passes. But I understand they're not open every day, and it's of course snow dependent. So how is it best to find out which days are going to be open in advance? And, assuming you've paid for the yearly membership, is it guaranteed if you make the trek up to these places that you'll be guaranteed to get a spot on the slopes? It would be a nightmare if you did the one hour hike with all your gear and then got turned away because it was too busy!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Mountain surfer, check out each of the websites for all the Gen. The links are on Page 1 of this thread. It’s not usually possible to plan running the tows more than a day or two in advance. Although it’s skiing it’s still an English Maritime climate. All the facilities are run by ski clubs and unpaid volunteers. They tend to run on weekends if there is snow about and sometimes during the week if enough operators are available.

English lift served skiing is now in its 70th year so not all that new these days snowHead The Lake District Ski Club was first in 1950 then I think Weardale in 1965? Skiing itself goes back a lot further.

There is no such thing as a ‘normal year’ or reliable conditions and Covid, Foot and Mouth and the Beast from the East do make things even more difficult than usual.

Raise is the highest and normally has up to twice the number of days than the others except when the snow comes from the east. It is however an hours walk up there and therefore you need to be keen and fit. Details of membership and ticket arrangements on each website.

All the centres are closed for the foreseeable future because of the national lockdown Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mountain Surfer, peter has covered it off, but in "normal" times if you are a season ticket holder you will be allowed on the hill, day passes are sold on a first come first served basis.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That’s good to know, thanks guys.

I’ve checked the websites, was just wondering about the question regarding getting on the hill on the day Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
The Lake District Ski Club was first in 1950 then I think Weardale in 1965?

Teesdale was some time in the 1950s, I think the tow predates Glencoe. I have an OS map from the early 60s with a 'ski hoist' marked at Langdon Beck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks to be going cooler again from Thursday ?
ski holidays
Quote:
Looks to be going cooler again from Thursday ?
... As the covid nightmare continues to worsen... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Quote:
Can I just ask regarding Yad Moss and Raise
Don't forget Weardale and Allenheads too Mountain Surfer!
latest report
Batteries have begun to recharge. Yad cameras back on line.
http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/webcams/
latest report
.....And off again Laughing
ski holidays
Sounds as though there were all sorts of skiing adventures this last weekend across the Pennines, Lake District, Scotland and Wales. Folk have got creative and got out to discover their local slopes. Cool Cool
latest report
Peter S wrote:
.....And off again Laughing

Weardale ones are off at present. Just as well as there looks like a great dump coming this week. Watching the already have been excellent conditions turn epic would be more than my sanity could bear.
snow conditions
Quote:
Watching the already have been excellent conditions turn epic would be more than my sanity could bear
This is just Hell - so I feel like that's me done. No wonder people are suffering mental health issues... Confused

Dummy well and truly spat out and all toys chucked out of the pram....Planning on checking no more cams, or snow reports (home or abroad) until we can actually move the car off the drive and go somewhere.

Now thinking the ski come back could be autumn glacier skiing at best...
latest report
Possibility of some local headtorch skiing Thursday night but it’s on a knife edge. The snow will be wet.... beggars and choosers and all that snowHead
snow conditions
Potential battle ground snow - sods law dictates it has to come through on the snowier side of things in the North Pennines. It's a shame the Weardale cams are down but not everyone can handle look but don't touch.
snow report
Lakes and Dales on More 4 right now has some skiing on Helvellyn front face Cool

This is an English ski classic but does not come into condition every year. Here is the link https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-yorkshire-dales-and-the-lakes/on-demand/70922-001?fbclid=IwAR1L66ghpA3C3LFiaDEv8VshVZGvqMaxyQAjlRjKAoRCtgAhTRwgjrazYvc

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 12-01-21 9:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
OAP I suspect the Weardale cams have been turned off because of recent concern in the wake of the travel restrictions.

The cold air has returned with potentially more snow Wednesday and Thursday.
ski holidays
@Peter S, I see a LDSC facebook video of someone descending that line in 'unconventional' fashion. I'd not want to fall there.
latest report
@Peter S, almost certainly. Looking at Yad there's been a reasonable amount of snow surviving the thaw. Had pisting been possible retention would have been greater. In other circumstances I would be feeling quite optimistic about a 3-4 week block of opening. Something looking a bit like 08/09 winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes this winter is defaulting cold rather than warm, as is more normal these days.

Today would have been a really good ski day with the snow now solidly frozen. Tomorrow could deliver 24hrs of new snow although again the temperature is a bit on the high side. Met Office is suggesting up to 20cms which would be plenty. I wonder if the two SSW events will lead to anything really cold this year?
ski holidays
It has rained all day in the Pennines but air temperatures have been below zero above 1900’. The upper air is warm but as the cold front catches up and the depression occludes the rain should turn to snow, about now. I can only imagine there is clear ice (black ice) on the surfaces up there Puzzled
latest report
An Amber weather warning out for snow all tonight and part of tomorrow. BBC national and local forecast was predicting lots of white stuff, turning to blue (rain) later tomorrow at all but highest levels. Wonder if any will be left by Friday? Melted off incredibly quickly between Sunday afternoon (knee deep on my local, (unfortunately very heathery fells) and Tuesday morning (same track, all gone, even right at the top, 600+m) when it rained, even though has still felt very cold.
ski holidays
Radar looked like Yad was just on the edge of a narrow band running along the fell tops to Weardale. Not that it's much use to most of us.
latest report
Snowing heavily in the White Peaks now. Will have a local wander later.
latest report
dumping here in North Leeds and still coming down strong!
latest report
The forecast was spot on again. Perhaps 15cms here. Snow is slightly wet but I Will be out on my skis tonight and tomorrow looks like a repeat of last Saturday! Laughing
snow report
had a tour to/from my house and around the golf course, more snow here than last weekend and still coming down!!
snow report
Rain for me, looks like snow was settling over 300m. Saturday's thaw means I'm likely to be waiting for what next week brings for British back garden skiing.
snow report
Lots of comedy moments on the local roads today. It’s almost too deep to drive in here. Finally stopped snowing now. Shame to waste all that rain yesterday but tomorrow looks epic.
ski holidays
Amazing conditions this morning. Deep snow and a hard frost. The snow had a breakable crust last night but should be good today and very good tonight.

Covid numbers look to have plateaued slightly.
ski holidays
Any pictures Peter?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy