Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2020 - 2021

Poster: A snowHead
RetroBod wrote:
One other thing to add:

Just becasue because you can...........does that mean you should? snowHead

Look after yourselves

From a very frustrated, out of the area Weardale wanabee

I agree that is a good question to ask. As and when Weardale opens up (possibly even in next couple of days looking at the forecast) I will have no qualms heading there for my daily exercise:

1. I go on my own – I could go with other members of the household but they are not members and WSC have (sensibly in my opinion) limited this year to members;
2. It is a relatively short journey there;
3. The car park (posh word for what is not much more than a layby) is in the open air and there is no need to interact with others;
4. The lifts are single person button lifts and so no interaction with others;
5. There are little/no queues for the lifts. The couple of times there were others at the lift everyone kept their distance – well more than the required 2 metres (and of course we are in the open, up on a hill);
6. There really is no need for interaction with others. I spoke a few cheery and encouraging words with others but from quite a distance (and again in the open air).

Compared to going for a run where I am breathing heavily and likely to pass fairly close to others on a pavement (although I try my best to give a wide berth) this seems much better. Even when I cycle, at traffic lights I am likely to be closer to others.

My après ski consisted of a flask of tomato soup in the car – so not up with Ischgl levels of craziness (although it was pretty hot).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless of course you spin your car off the road on the ice, get stuck in the snow, need a push or hand to dig it out or turn it round, break your arm/leg skiing/boarding, etc, etc, etc.
At that point you'll need to interact with others.
And being a man, you might possibly need to use the loo too (dangerous places, they are).

(Playing Devil's Advocate here btw )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizzler wrote:
Unless of course you spin your car off the road on the ice, get stuck in the snow, need a push or hand to dig it out or turn it round, break your arm/leg skiing/boarding, etc, etc, etc.
At that point you'll need to interact with others.
And being a man, you might possibly need to use the loo too (dangerous places, they are).

(Playing Devil's Advocate here btw )

True. But all of those risks apply to any form of outdoor exercise and any travel to any exercise. That is an argument for not leaving the house rather not going skiing in Weardale.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just seen Yad's current policy on their website - seems sensible and reasonable, all considering. Basically season ticket holders and limited day tickets prebooked online for reasonably local residents. Shame that there's not enough snow for tomorrow though Sad
Allenheads awaiting guidance from Snowsports England before they reopen (if there's enough snow).
Not seen anything yet from Weardale, if indeed they make any attendance changes (already STs and weekday reciprocals only, I believe). Presume not enough snow yet for tomorrow?

EDIT - just had e mail from Weardale saying reciprocal arrangements suspended. Pooh!!!!!
(Are Yad playing unfriendly in return, Peter?)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 31-12-20 22:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Bit of snow finally arriving at Yad Moss and a bit more forecast tomorrow.

The tow will not operate tomorrow but Saturday may be a possibility if we get enough new cover (not a certainty).

Note that because of the Tier 4 restrictions it will now be Season ticket holders only and local day tickets only if conditions are suitable.

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weardale just sent an update round members - the key point:

Quote:
We are also not allowing any day members and have temporarily suspended the reciprocal arrangement with the other northern ski clubs. Do not attend if you are not a fully paid up member.

I haven't put the rest of it up but it generally explains how the club will operate - day lodge closed, don't congregate, use sanitiser...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone know what the story is in Eden ? Why did cases surge from 100 to well over 500 in a matter of days? Seems difficult to comprehend given it has one of the lowest population densities in England? Has there been a huge hit in Penrith or is it somehow more dispersed than that? I can imagine that the M6 or west coast main line was the primary source presumably of the new variant virus.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter - probably similar to the much more dramatic surge in Haltwhistle & Haydon Bridge (A69 corridor) a few weeks ago - pre official new variant, tho' I wouldn't be surprised if it was. May have had some link to it too? Otherwise, likely through schools and a large factory (warehouse in Penrith, I heard) then spread through domestic contacts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Doesn't take many positives to push up the 100k figure in low population areas. Bit of a flawed way of recording the figures in the countryside.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, There was a few cases reported mid Dec, so that may account for a spike within the Penrith area, but also appears to have been a big rise down the eden valley, so could be from schools?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@russ_e, definitely. In Haltwhistle, with a population under 5,000, they were reporting up to 1,800 per 100,000 Shock (around 85 positive cases in rolling 7 days).
Eden cases are being reported by the local Public Health chief (via Facebook) as due to "workplaces".

On another note, woke up to good, if unexpected snow covering this morning Very Happy Roads not cleared yet (and by Ashgill, the 'main' road definitely does not look passable yet, nor many other smaller roads up in the higher fells), but guess plans for the day changed now. Hoping that we'll get more over the day and coming night.
Wecams down at Yad, but looks hopeful for tomorrow if not today (Peter?). Allenheads not yet announced if they're opening, but must have enough.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Snow report updated.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Who needs the Pennines when you can ski tour at your local nature reserve? Very Happy (Albeit on rather marginal cover...New meaning to stone-ground bases Shocked )

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic day at Weardale today (Sunday 3 January). Fair bit of new snow had come down and it snowed on and off throughout the day. Huge numbers of people there (relatively of course - you have to be a member to use it this season) - all in a phenomenally good mood. It was lovely to be part of it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weardale was rather good today, as JohnMo has already reported Very Happy . Despite mainly poor visibility (it snowed very heavily at times), conditions were excellent.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 3-01-21 21:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Had a good time at Yad too. Some good deep stuff on the outfield, main run's icy bits eased later though the hidden bowls and dips proved a worthy Grizzler-trap a few times Laughing A great day, once I remembered how to ski! Memo: have not kept ski fit legs during Lockdown(s) Crying or Very sad Quite difficult tow conditions defeated the knees a lot earlier than the snow would have - and visibility wasn't great during some later showers either.

Just snowed at home again, forecast is for more overnight, so hope to be out again somewhere tomorrow.
snow conditions
A few pics from Yad Moss today:

Staying cold over the next six days with an easterly flow and more showers off the North Sea. A good set up for Pennine skiing. snowHead
snow conditions
Lets hope for a mid week opening for Yad, might be my only chance of a ski this year!!
snow conditions
Quote:
Lets hope for a mid week opening for Yad, might be my only chance of a ski this year!!
Breaking news: Boris Johnson to speak on latest covid measures at 8pm tonight...Could it be curtains for The Pennines and Raise Puzzled
snow report
@mountainaddict, yeah never good news recently when the PM does a press conference, guess we will follow Scotland into full lockdown....
ski holidays
Beat me to it Sad Crying or Very sad Didn't get out today, weather pretty grey, thinking "well, Wednesday looks glorious and loads more snow due tomorrow..." Oh well, time to find very local not too bumpy field...
latest report
We're worse off in covid terms now than we were at Lockdown 1... Crying or Very sad

It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain upbeat Sad

Snowsports seem almost irrelevant in these desperate times - but yesterday at Weardale (and Yad Moss) illustrated just how fantastic skiing can be in raising the spirits and boosting mental health. Absolutely priceless.
snow conditions
Another great day out at Weardale - the third in the last week. Due to be open Wednesday as well but, as discussed above, the announcement later might scupper that Sad

After really good conditions yesterday it had snowed quite a lot over night and kept going for the first hour or so. Pennine powder may not be Alpine or Rocky powder but I am marking today down as a powder day. There were certainly plenty of opportunities to make fresh tracks. There were a good number of people up there again. Given it is is Monday, it was not as large a turnout as yesterday but still very healthy. It did mean however that, despite the road up arguably being in a worse condition, there was none of the problems that there was yesterday (or at least none that I saw).

I see that membership is now full.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
We're worse off in covid terms now than we were at Lockdown 1... Crying or Very sad

It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain upbeat Sad

Snowsports seem almost irrelevant in these desperate times - but yesterday at Weardale (and Yad Moss) illustrated just how fantastic skiing can be in raising the spirits and boosting mental health. Absolutely priceless.

I agree with that. Same today. So many happy people. It might be a long time before I see so many people simply enjoying themselves. This whole thing is just horrible.
ski holidays
I was going to post an update that Allenheads has decided not to open but I suppose it's rather academic now... Just as I finished kitting the kids out with gear for this season... Come back 2020!
ski holidays
Hey ho, it was fun while it lasted...
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
Hey ho, it was fun while it lasted...

Sad Sad Sad

So happy to have had the three days at Weardale. The plan had been to open Wednesday (obviously out of the window now). The snow is great at present and there is a load more on the way. On Wednesday I will be looking at the webcams in tears. None of my usual touring partners live in the North East and I don't think solo touring is sensible so that is not an option. Ah well, most of my winter has been spent looking at Swiss webcams. I guess I can now alternative between the Swiss ones and the Weardale ones.
snow report
Da latest rules don’t allow travel outside of the local area even for exercise

Leaving home
You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s like 2001, the foot and mouth winter, all over again.

20mph north easterly wind, 80% humidity, minus 3c at ticket office elevation. Snow building up from North Sea shower ‘streamers, and drifting down off the plateau and across the fences filling the runs in. This is the perfect set up at Yad Moss. But we are not allowed to open, again.

All we can do is watch the fences slowly submerging under the drifting snow. Sad
snow report
Quote:
All we can do is watch the fences slowly submerging under the drifting snow
It's getting reminiscent of the 10 weeks of epic conditions in Scotland during Lockdown 1 - almost like you couldn't make it up... Sad
snow conditions
I have officially sunk into terminal depression. Summer I could cope with, but this..? Can't really even justify the pretty short drive up there to walk it up and ski or board down. Even just to walk up on the higher snowy fells. Crying or Very sad Can only hope that we have a long late season burst and are allowed back out again somewhere. Please? Pretty please? Avec les bells?
snow conditions
Well the webcams have helped at Yad by crashing Smile
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Well the webcams have helped at Yad by crashing Smile

As you say it probably is for the best. It is hard not to look at the Weardale webcam on a day it was planned to have the tows running and not weep.

snow conditions
@JohnMo, indeed, especially as I am "in between" jobs I'd be out every day if possible!
ski holidays
It's an ever so small crumb of comfort that it's not just me and Mrs MA that are absolutely gutted by this....I feel I'm on the brink of sheer despair.

And, just to put the tin hat on it, after originally planning on taking the day off to ski at Weardale today, I'm having the day from Hell at work instead... Evil or Very Mad

Happy days Sad
latest report
A friend sent me a pic from YM on Monday. It shows big drifts across the upper fences and continuous ski-anywhere cover across the hillside. Classic Pennine easterly conditions. And that was before the snow that fell yesterday.

We think either the batteries are deceased or that light winds are allowing the web cam to flatten the batteries.

We are now going to miss what would have been 4 or 5 superb days at YM and the best conditions since March 2018.

It is noticeable however that these Synoptics 40 years ago would have delivered much colder weather. The North Sea and the source air is now much warmer than it used to be. What would have been widespread snow across eastern England is now just rain. Equally though the roads would have been blocked !

Yad Moss is clearly insignificant compared to Covid but believe me the Committee is just as gutted, particularly after all the work up there over the last 10 years. Sad
snow conditions
Potentially another 12 hours of snow for the Pennines Shocked
snow report
https://www.howhill.com/weather/webcam.php

Looking snowy with drifting down at 1400’. Must be some big drifts by now up at YM.
Hopefully the increase in windspeed will also charge the batteries.
snow report
We've had a couple of inches here in North Leeds and still coming down strong, damn the lockdown!!
latest report
Had some good downhill, telemark and cross country skiing close to our town, the last couple of nights.

After today’s snow I could be on for a rare ‘Garage Door tour’ tonight Laughing Skis and skins on in the garage then up through the estate and out onto the race course. A couple or three runs down the ‘chalet Park’ slope, about 250m with a ‘gorse bush section, Then back home. Not breaking any rules.

Will probably wait until after 9pm when the air temp and humidity is forecast to drop here, freeze drying the snow Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy