Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good ski mask to recommend?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any good recommendation for ski face mask? I'm not looking for the balaclava type mask but more covid-style mask (so it just covers half of your face).

It's mainly going to be used on ski lifts (in case they require which is likely). Ideally waterproof and breathable and does the job for protecting against covid (if it's protect against pollution all the way better as I cycle to work (or at least I used to!)). If it's really breathable I may not take it off while skiing. Don't care too much if it's not warm as cold doesn't bother me anyway Little Angel

Currently looking at Techno Cinqro - anyone used them before?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear a buff while skiing and plan to just pull that up over my mouth and nose when necessary.

If it's cold I already have it like that.

That Techno Cinqro looks like a pollution mask for City use - seems overkill for what you want. If you had one already for that purpose then sure it could be used for skiing also - although to me it's look like it would be too warm for most times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
I wear a buff while skiing and plan to just pull that up over my mouth and nose when necessary.

If it's cold I already have it like that.

This
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of neoprene face mask type things on E Bay, normally dead cheap. Often sold as cycling masks, motorcycle masks, ski/board masks.
Decathlon also do half face wrap-around balaclava masks in stretchy neoprene; very similar.
I have several different types, but unless I want something for emergency extreme conditions I just use one or more basic stretchy cheap single, double or fleece-lined buffs, depending on conditions. (Again, mostly cheapies off EB.)

Bear in mind that if you wear a helmet +/- goggles, the fit or fitting, fastening and putting on or off can be a right PITA. Buffs just pull up & down.

Covid wise, buffs are arguably the worst things, for several reasons. Multiple layered ones might be better. But the more "breathable" anything is, the less protective it probably is, for the wearer or other people. Frankly, however, for outside, does it matter?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grizzler, as you say, outside it is just for show. Probably stops you sneezing all over people/things. Probably provides virtually no protection (not that this is the aim)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - yea I thought about buff too but not sure if that will pass the candle test. The buff I've got at the moment certainly won't. Fair point though about being outside. I'm more thinking the 10 mins you're stuck in a gondola (though presumably they won't be filling a gondola to full capacity will they?!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
euanovsky wrote:
Thanks - yea I thought about buff too but not sure if that will pass the candle test. The buff I've got at the moment certainly won't. Fair point though about being outside. I'm more thinking the 10 mins you're stuck in a gondola (though presumably they won't be filling a gondola to full capacity will they?!)
I’d be pretty sure that as soon as it gets busy they WILL be filling gondolas to capacity.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It will be a real faff putting in masks (gloves off, helmet off etc) and with kids alongside even more of a pain. I was thinking the buff would be ok but honestly that won’t provide any protection. Need an inventor to come up with a good solution quickly!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Contagion theatre.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://buffusa.com/buff-community-statement
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
It will be a real faff putting in masks (gloves off, helmet off etc) and with kids alongside even more of a pain. I was thinking the buff would be ok but honestly that won’t provide any protection. Need an inventor to come up with a good solution quickly!

they don't offer protection to the wearer from airborne particulates, or to the public if being worn by and individual who may be coughing. don't think I'd want my family in a gondola with someone coughing through a buff..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exactly. But 90% of people will wear these and not medical grade face masks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bob, and masks, at least the usual ones, single use, two ear straps, don't provide protection to the user anyway ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
full face visor ski helmet
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr.Egg wrote:
full face visor ski helmet

I don’t know of any that cover mouth, a full face motor bike hat will do Razz
snow conditions
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Ruroc_RG1-DX_Full_Face_SnowboardSki_Helmet_S_Core-%2868217%29
snow conditions
I wouldn't assume the trusty ol' buff will be allowed everywhere. The gondola staff in Zermatt / Cervinia would not let you on with a ski buff, if you didn't have one of those blue face nappies you had to buy one.....conveniently on sale nearby for 1 CHF.
snow conditions
Buffs weren't allowed on the lifts in France this summer. Had to be something which at least looked like a proper mask.
snow conditions
Sounds like I’ll have to do as I did in the summer. Wander around with a “mask” in my pocket and stick it on if required (over the top of my buff). I have no expectation of it protecting me and very doubtful of its efficacy in protecting anyone else.

Will massively increase faff factor, I don’t think I can get my mask on over my helmet.
snow conditions
Can’t wait for the chapter in “skiing with demons 4, the mask and me...” Toofy Grin
latest report
I use these.. have 2 of them. Very happy with it. Comfy, washable, replaceable filters etc. Great protection two way.

https://www.lasportiva.com/en/stratos-mask
snow report
Seems like we all agree that these masks provide no protection, yet we are being forced to wear them.

Placebos R Us! rolling eyes
latest report
I have a AirHole mask for really cold days, it is great. Admittedly it is a faff to put on an off as it means taking helemt/goggles off as other people have pointed out. the neck buffs don't work for me as they just go damp as you breath through them.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Airhole_Standard_2_Layer_SnowboardSki_Face_Mask_SM_Shark-(212817)
snow report
Russeh wrote:
I have a AirHole mask for really cold days, it is great. Admittedly it is a faff to put on an off as it means taking helemt/goggles off as other people have pointed out. the neck buffs don't work for me as they just go damp as you breath through them.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Airhole_Standard_2_Layer_SnowboardSki_Face_Mask_SM_Shark-(212817)

This has to be a wind-up - a mask called “Airhole” which actually has an air hole proposed in a Covid context Very Happy
latest report
I have a Respro Techno mask which I’m currently using out and about... not yet skied in it but I can speak from experience that it’s a good tight fit and allows you to breath normally... I’m not sure how it would perform if you actually skied with it on - but for lifts it would do the job and it’s very quick to take off and on.
ski holidays
(If you go for a Respro get a two pack of replacement filters at the same time as will save you the wait on their website next time round)
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Russeh wrote:

This has to be a wind-up - a mask called “Airhole” which actually has an air hole proposed in a Covid context Very Happy

Laughing
snow conditions
Pyjama Tim wrote:
I have a Respro Techno mask which I’m currently using out and about... not yet skied in it but I can speak from experience that it’s a good tight fit and allows you to breath normally... I’m not sure how it would perform if you actually skied with it on - but for lifts it would do the job and it’s very quick to take off and on.

I cycled in London every day using a Respro mask and it was very good (the inner filter needed changing every few weeks) - BUT - it provides zero protection for anyone else around you because the exhale valves open to expel air quickly ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve just seen that Respro now sell two valve blocks (dipping in and out of stock)
snow conditions
Pyjama Tim wrote:
I’ve just seen that Respro now sell two valve blocks (dipping in and out of stock)

Yup - but sadly I doubt that the lift control staff will take anyone's word that valve bloks are fitted inside the mask!

I'm hearing that medical style face masks will be required to board a lift in Verbier this winter (sharing the big cable cars with 150 people will be interesting otherwise).
snow conditions
oui4ski wrote:
Pyjama Tim wrote:

Yup - but sadly I doubt that the lift control staff will take anyone's word that valve bloks are fitted inside the mask!

I'm hearing that medical style face masks will be required to board a lift in Verbier this winter (sharing the big cable cars with 150 people will be interesting otherwise).

The recommended facemask is supposed to be 3 ply. The majority of masks people buy are only 2 ply.
So good idea forcing a specific style of mask.
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
Russeh wrote:

Nope. It’s a real thing. I skied my first day this season yesterday at Heavenly (South Lake Tahoe, CA), and a guy in the lift line told me about these. He was using them before COVID, and continues to use it for his face covering (required) now. He just puts it on with the air hole at the back.
https://usa.airholefacemasks.com/collections/airtubes

I was researching masks today for skiing and Ruroc makes a snood that looks pretty good. They charge more for shipping it to the US than it costs, so going to pass on that.

Ended up ordering a Mission All Season Gaiter off of Amazon today. https://www.mission.com/products/all-season-adjustable-neck-gaiter, based on a rec from a buddy of mine in Park City who already has 30 days in this season Shocked You guys on that side of the pond may be able to score one from your local Amazon. (USD20 here).
snow report
@Tom_Ski, ...weird - I have an airhole and its the best mask/snood out there - was also going to suggest simply turning it around . . .
ski holidays
Over here you need an FFP2 mask. I have mostly got away with an expensive Respro Ultralight cycling mask but I added filters inside the vent valves too. Being a velcro behind the head fastening I can put it on and strap it up under the edge of my ski helmet. Lifties are checking and people with only buffs etc are not being allowed on. Very well organised.
latest report
I'm sure I read a post earlier this year by a ski instructor who had produced Covid-compliant buffs that could be just pulled up arounf the face when entering lifts etc and pulled down when outdoors. Can't find it now, but does anyone know if these are being sold anywhere ?
ski holidays
Not what you were asking but Buff to a 'filter tube'

https://www.buff.com/gb/catalogsearch/result/?q=filter+tube
snow conditions
@albob, Thanks for that link. Looks interesting. Have you tried them?
snow report
This is from another thread on the site. I can't remember which. Looks useful to me, though I haven't got a 3d printer, so haven't made them.
https://3dmixers.com/m/110558-ski-helmet-covid-19-ffp2-mask-holder
ski holidays
@DCG, no - i just searched for a Covid buff when this thread was started...
ski holidays
I used this last year and bought three of them but only really used them in conjunction with other masks when I really wanted an actual, functional mask. You can see light through it.

https://www.seirus.com/evo-arc-thick-n-thin-headliner

I also tried using filters on the inside with mixed success.

This year I think I'm trying the FFP2 filter held on by a neck warmer for Austria. At home? Not sure I'll use anything. No rules here and I've gotten the third shot.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy