Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
adithorp wrote:
Make sure your hi-vis are in the car not the boot. Breathalyser requirement isn't enforced. Carry all car docs' and copies (v5/MOT/insurance) and have breakdown cover.
Traveling in convoy isn't as easy as it sounds. Having pre-arranged stops in case you get separated helps and pin drop on WhatsApp is useful as well. Toll tag are great but not worth it unless all 3 cars have them. Toll booths are the easiest place to get split up.

Good advice, thanks

Do the French really drive around with Hi-Vis inside the cabins of their cars?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's what the rules say. You have to put it on before getting out of the car. I know people who've been stopped and fined for getting out without and others who've been fined for having them in the boot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
YetiManMark wrote:

Do the French really drive around with Hi-Vis inside the cabins of their cars?

Yup, even been remarked on at CT (MoT).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's going to be a total pain going out for dinner at night from Bettex
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@YetiManMark, don't know the Clarity cards, but we have credit cards obtained specifically for this advantage which we try to buy the odd thing on each month just to ensure they are visibly active.

And it is easy to keep the high vis vests in the door pockets - in fact ours are still there (and still in their plastic wrappers).

@Jonny996, I think they will have a choice between three places - and I don't know whether the snack bar stays open in the evening.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp wrote:
Traveling in convoy isn't as easy as it sounds. …. Toll booths are the easiest place to get split up.

Really? I’ve never had an issue. First through the toll either pulls into the parking area just beyond the peage and waits or just potters at c.80kph until the next one (or two) catch up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Gervais is completely different from Megeve, as a place to stay. And Bettex is rather separate from either! I've never skied from Bettex, but there will be people here who can give precise advice, if they know where your accommodation is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL wrote:
adithorp wrote:
Traveling in convoy isn't as easy as it sounds. …. Toll booths are the easiest place to get split up.

Really? I’ve never had an issue. First through the toll either pulls into the parking area just beyond the peage and waits or just potters at c.80kph until the next one (or two) catch up.

Sounds like an excuse to buy some walkie talkies!

http://youtube.com/v/A194vDpXzyA
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
j b wrote:
@YetiManMark, don't know the Clarity cards, but we have credit cards obtained specifically for this advantage which we try to buy the odd thing on each month just to ensure they are visibly active.

And it is easy to keep the high vis vests in the door pockets - in fact ours are still there (and still in their plastic wrappers).

@Jonny996, I think they will have a choice between three places - and I don't know whether the snack bar stays open in the evening.

Yes, the Clarity is very good for spends abroad Happy Loading some cash beforehand (e.g. creating a credit balance) is a good way to get no fees cash at a very good rate - although now, post covid, not sure how much call there would be for cash. Certainly at home, I have noticed it's use dwindling in shops etc - albeit it was dwindling beforehand, but Covid seems to have accelerated its demise.

No worries about the hi-vis - will have a look in poundland next time I am in town, if not, will get some off eBay. Happy

Re: food etc, we are a mostly family group and the accommodation is self catering with a big kitchen, so we will probably only go out for food a couple of times during the week, big supermarket in Sallanches, get several (dozen) beers in and chill in the chalet. That said, would still appreciate any family-friendly (there will be 2 x 11 year olds and 2 toddlers with us) restaurants that are reasonably priced Happy

Will have a drive into Megeve for a wander round, but unlikely to eat there from what I have heard about prices.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 6-11-21 22:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL wrote:
adithorp wrote:

This. Have done this several times in ski convoys, but generally only from the airport to the resort in hire cars - this journey is obviously 4 times the length Happy

It is all about having a plan, as above - first car travels on at 80kph and waits for the other two to catch it. We are all in a WhatsApp group so one phone in each car will have location tracking on so one passenger in each car can be tasked with keeping tabs on the other two.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@YetiManMark, I have had an evening meal in Bettex so there is at least one restaurant.

There is a big supermarket in Megeve if you forget anything from your Sallanches or Domancy shop.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did the convoy thing once 30+ years ago with CB radios never again.

Great way for a group of friends to fall out before you even get to the resort.

"can you speed up", "you're going to fast", "OVERTAKE THAT F****** SNOW PLOUGH" when it was clearing one lane and 6 inches of snow on the other two lanes. It took a couple of days for people to start talking to each other.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
YetiManMark wrote:

This. Have done this several times in ski convoys, but generally only from the airport to the resort in hire cars - this journey is obviously 4 times the length Happy

It is all about having a plan, as above - first car travels on at 80kph and waits for the other two to catch it. We are all in a WhatsApp group so one phone in each car will have location tracking on so one passenger in each car can be tasked with keeping tabs on the other two.

As long as you're prepared then you'll be ok. 3 cars is pretty easy; 12 is a nightmare! Toofy Grin

One thing to watch out for is using multiple lanes at the toll booths. That can result in car A having an issue and being delayed. Car B sees a similar car to A driving away and goes after it with C following while cursing A for not doing 80kph as agreed. Meanwhile somewhere behind them A is cursing the others for not catching up...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why do you need to travel in convoy?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy