Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Covid-19 Travel restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
RobinS wrote:

What would happen if football matches had no referee, and no free kicks, yellow cards, or red cards?

You mean like those games we played as kids in the playground? It all worked out for the best and if it didn't the kid who owned the ball stomped off home.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:
davidof wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Turned off the French StopCovid app - So having been electronically monitored the whole time we were in Switzerland and France, back in the UK we could go pretty much anywhere and no one would be any the wiser. World-beating.

So you are the person who downloaded the StopCovid app then?

In the words of Mr Loaf: "you took the words right out of my mouth"

You win a million Euros if you hook up with another person running the app !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, I'd be more than happy to follow the rules if they were scientifically literate and not so arbitrarily nailed onto a single data point-the number of cases per 100,000 regardless of context such as testing rate, the way they were changing and so on.
I've got a bigger chance of catching and spreading COVID around the UK after shopping in Manchester than skiing in France-apres bars excluded (not my thing anyway...)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowhound, I agree with that too but if everyone picks and chooses what to comply with a fair proportion...guesstimate.. would choose the wrong option
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowhound, it's not nailed to one data point as you suggest. Other factors are taken into account as has been widely broadcast on TV from representatives from England, Scotland and Wales.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, I thought that the French app was next to useless from dated press reports (Just like many other countries). Nice to have it confirmed by a trusted local agent. But the UK abandoning it will still come up on here again and again.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
@davidof, I thought that the French app was next to useless from dated press reports (Just like many other countries). Nice to have it confirmed by a trusted local agent. But the UK abandoning it will still come up on here again and again.....

The basic point was that plenty of people had identified the flaws and problems with a tracking app well ahead of UK gov doing their big boasting about the great technology we were going to have. It's not really about whether anyone has been able to implement a truly useful solution it's about the hubris and the lack of technical literacy that meant they didn't know it was a moonshot.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:

I don't recall all the technical issues. There is a problem with bluetooth that seems to have stumped people that downloaded it. They say around 0.4% of the population have got it to run on their phones but I'm not sure how many are still using it. An track and trace app is no good unused. In Germany the figure is more like 20%.

8,500 new cases on Saturday but we'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see if there is any significant uptick in serious cases, so far there doesn't seem to be.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Just like the hubris that surrounded the French one then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm spending a lot of time in Lyon lately. A couple of observations of how things are being handled. The area is quite badly affected. I arrived at Part Dieu Station at 5pm on Friday. It was absolutely rammed. Any social distancing impossible. I travelled through and spent the evening in 1e and 5e arondissements. The bars and streets were absolutely heaving. Although it wasn't a great evening most, youngsters mostly, were outside but without masks and pretty crammed together. Wouldn't be surprised if similar restrictions to Marseille are introduced. We're doing a couple of things this weekend whilst we still can.

Yesterday I went to a funeral in Albertville. Not sure what the restrictions in UK are now but there were 100+ there and being french catholic it was very lengthy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Claude B, Funerals are 30 max in England and fairly quick. Weddings 15 max, I assume that's because weddings can be postponed.

I get the impression that it's a bit Laissez Faire in France, are they going for herd immunity or hoping it's going to go away?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Claude B, there was a Covid cluster in Briancon in March spread by the funeral director at a pandemic planning meeting with the mayors of the valley. He'd picked it up ( indirectly I think) from a big religious gathering in Mulhouse. They were all self-isolating when we left along with the Police Municipal.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:

I get the impression that it's a bit Laissez Faire in France, are they going for herd immunity or hoping it's going to go away?

People have lost faith in the government and are doing their own thing. Spoke to some students from Paris yesterday - they'd been at a huge pre-lockdown party the night before and were now down in the Alps to escape restrictions in Paris.

The principal concern of the govt. now is not to completely kill the economy and have a revolution on their hands but predictions are the hospital system will be near collapse in November based on current stats. To me the numbers in hospital don't look huge but they will come at a time of all the other winter epidemics and I think that is the problem now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, Looks like I'll be Tignes forecasting from Yorkshire this season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
@davidof, Looks like I'll be Tignes forecasting from Yorkshire this season.

This virus just seems to continue to spiral out of control Sad .

We have (psychologically at least) written the season off as far as skiing in the Alps goes. Any skiing for us in the 3 Valleys would be beyond what we currently envisage.

It's looking like it could be over 12 months without skiing - and the same without watching live football Sad Who could ever have envisaged this carry on, due to a few folk consuming the odd bat? Puzzled
snow report
@chocksaway, lots of new cases but not too many deaths and lots with comorbidities so it is hard to gauge how serious this is. Govt. in a panic but anyone under 40ish doesn't seem too bothered.
ski holidays
Still in Lyon. Went to a small jazz club last night but my girlfriend wont go again. Only about 25 people but in a small room without masks as drinking and eating.

Her son is 18 and was talking about covid parties which are popular with the young.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

People have lost faith in the government and are doing their own thing. Spoke to some students from Paris yesterday - they'd been at a huge pre-lockdown party the night before and were now down in the Alps to escape restrictions in Paris.

The principal concern of the govt. now is not to completely kill the economy and have a revolution on their hands but predictions are the hospital system will be near collapse in November based on current stats. To me the numbers in hospital don't look huge but they will come at a time of all the other winter epidemics and I think that is the problem now.

The view from Paris: There is a clear divide between younger people and -- ahem -- those of us who aren't so young, have families etc. regarding distancing, mask wearing etc.

I wouldn't so much say "lost faith in the government" as "we're just fed up with having to live a circumscribed life" and are craving companionship, a social life etc. Those of us who are older are continuing to take precautions, from what I can see. The mayor of Paris has so far been able to fend off Marseille-style restrictions but word is that as soon as tonight the bars will be closed to some degree.

Yes, it's true that deaths are not shooting up, but the percentage of emergency room cases with covid is. That is going to be a big problem. I'm not sure what can be done to meaningfully slow the spread right now except to really crack down on gatherings. But there just aren't enough enforcement personnel to do that. The other night I was walking to the pool (still open for kids) to get my daughter at her swim team practice and walked past a group of Chinese families, about 50 people, not a single one wearing a mask. I feel for recent immigrants and the poor, who are crammed together in small apartments, need to continue to work etc and might not be fully aware of the situation bc of language barriers.

Now, to the subject at hand: We've basically written off the ski season. If, after New Year's it looks like we'll be able to travel and the stations are open, then we'll probably just do a last-minute trip to a smallish station. I don't really have the stomach -- and the economic security -- to drop 4-5,000 euros on a week at a "name" station right about now.

If I were coming to France from abroad I'd just make sure I can get some kind of full reimbursement if/when things really go pear-shaped.
snow report
Mate reports Lyon and Grenoble moving to maximum alert. All bars to shut from Saturday.
snow conditions
Moved to maximum alert, measures to be announced tomorrow. That may well be the case, I'm off to Lyon for the weekend Sad Got opera tickets too Puzzled
ski holidays
Actually I've just read elsewhere that yes bars must close, also in Lille and St Etienne. Restos can remain open if certain conditions are met. Museums are ok, the Opera, I'll let you know Laughing
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
Actually I've just read elsewhere that yes bars must close, also in Lille and St Etienne. Restos can remain open if certain conditions are met. Museums are ok, the Opera, I'll let you know Laughing

Probably safer to stay in Lyon if LDA opens and the 60K covid infested students in Grenoble head up there at half term. Personally I wouldn't risk skiing there at HT.
latest report
I'm in Lyon atm. There still seems to be a fair few bars open, as they sell food too I assume. Not the big crowds sitting outside them though, very limited number of tables. Lot of people on the streets about 7.30 yesterday evening though.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
I'm in Lyon atm.

Back in the Isere you now have to wear a mask outside in any town of over 10,000 population. Medical authorities are saying this is the end of the first wave, not the start of the second and expect restrictions through to 2022. No vaccination likely in France until the second half of 2021.
latest report
@davidof, Saw this on twitter earlier

snow conditions
I went to the Opera in Lyon yesterday afternoon. Much reduced capacity and obviously masks compulsory. Afterwards I had a beer in one of the bars in Place Terreaux, no obligation to buy food. Very quiet though. Supermarkets aren't selling booze after 8 pm or Sunday afternoon.
latest report
Latest measures announced. Curfew from 9 pm to 6 am for many major cities (the 6 already in emergency measures plus a handful more). 19 million people affected. Bars, restos, shops, in fact everything closing at 9. Call to limit private gatherings to 6 maximum. Starting at midnight tomorrow for 4 weeks, with the possibility of extending to 6. Emergency powers also reintroduced.

Will have to check how the practicalities of this work. My girlfriend is coming here from Lyon the weekend after next. Her train would arrive in Grenoble after 9, but can I pick her up and drive on the Grenoble rocade after 9?
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:

Will have to check how the practicalities of this work. My girlfriend is coming here from Lyon the weekend after next. Her train would arrive in Grenoble after 9, but can I pick her up and drive on the Grenoble rocade after 9?

The details will be announced tonight but in theory no one to be outside after 9pm (even in a car) unless for work or emergency reasons. You won't just be on the autoroute but also in Grenoble town center if you go to the station. The restriction is for the metropolitan area - which is quite a bit larger than Grenoble town, Lyon city etc. The bars, sports halls etc are already closed so that doesn't change.

the restrictions are to the 1st December 2020. Shouldn't affect anyone traveling to the Alps if they avoid traveling through the cities and surrounding areas affected.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, I'd pick her up from Bourgoin Jailleau or even Lyon rather than Grenoble. So driving past rather than through Grenoble after 9.
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@davidof, I'd pick her up from Bourgoin Jailleau or even Lyon rather than Grenoble. So driving past rather than through Grenoble after 9.

Sechelienne is part of the Metropolitan area but best wait for the details at 14h
snow report
@Claude B, they've announced an exemption for pre booked journeys....you'll needto complete a form, the French do like their paperwork, which will be available online. Probably worth carrying proof of the booking too.
ski holidays
Macron was asked this last night (what happens if you arrive say by train after 9pm) and he said as long as justified this would be ok.
ski holidays
At risk of upsetting some people, someone ought to remind those who went out partying the night before tougher restrictions came into effect how lucky they are, and what restrictions could be imposed if the rates keep rising!
ski holidays
@brianatab, The majority of the cities being affected already have quite stringent measures. Bars closed, restos etc having to close by 10, alcohol not sold in shops after 8 or on Sunday afternoons. Lyon was very quiet last weekend compared to a normal weekend.

I'll have to think about next weekend, it's always a bit fluid, last time she wanted to come she told me that day Shocked Her shop in Lyon centre doesn't close until 7, May wait until Sunday morning.
snow report
@Claude B, I was commenting on the idiotic population of UK cities that decided to party the night before stricter lockdown measures came into effect, thus causing a lot of new cases, and no doubt extending the length of the restrictions.

They are whinging about having to leave the pub by 10pm, not having a curfew which means they actually have to be home by that time rolling eyes .

An enforced curfew and travel restrictions may be the only way of bringing this situation under control.
snow conditions
brianatab wrote:
@Claude B, I was commenting on the idiotic population of UK cities that decided to party the night before stricter lockdown measures came into effect, thus causing a lot of new cases, and no doubt extending the length of the restrictions.

Don't worry, there are some big student pre-curfew parties tonight in France.

As for Claude. You are in a grey area. Normally you should not be outside in a curfew zone after 9pm just to pick someone up unless they are handicapped. It depends how lenient the police are going to be.

You can always pick her up in Voiron, drive to Die -> la Mure -> col d'Ornon then LDA. Around 250km and 5 hours but it keeps you out of the curfew zone without taking any high mountain passes. Otherwise Voiron, Chambery, Col du Glandon, LDA for less than 200km and around 4 hours drive.

Best bet would be to pick her up in Lyon at 7pm and make it through Grenoble before 9pm; which is what you planned to do more or less?
ski holidays
Looks like Savoie going into curfew shortly 21-06 hrs from rumours bouncing round. Castex due to speak soon.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Looks like Savoie going into curfew shortly 21-06 hrs from rumours bouncing round. Castex due to speak soon.

54 departments in total, 46 million peope. Inc. Savoie and Haute Savoie. 9pm-6am is current curfew.
snow report
Isère too Sad
snow conditions
La Loire, le Rhône, le Nord, Paris, l'Isère, les Hauts-de-Seine, le Val-d'Oise, le Val-de-Marne, la Seine-Saint-Denis, l'Essonne, les Bouches-du-Rhône, la Haute-Garonne, les Yvelines, l'Hérault, la Seine-et-Marne, la Seine-Maritime, la Haute-Loire, l'Ain, la Savoie, l'Ardèche, la Saône-et-Loire, l'Aveyron, l'Ariège, le Tarn-et-Garonne, le Tarn, les Pyrénées-Orientales, le Gard, le Vaucluse, le Puy-de-Dôme, les Hautes-Alpes, le Pas-de-Calais, la Drôme, l'Oise, la Haute-Savoie, le Jura, les Pyrénées-Atlantiques, la Haute-Corse, le Calvados, les Hautes-Pyrénées, la Corse-du-Sud, la Lozère, la Haute-Vienne, la Côte-d'Or, les Ardennes, le Var, l'Indre-et-Loire, l'Aube, le Loiret, le Maine-et-Loire, le Bas-Rhin, la Meurthe-et-Moselle, la Marne, les Alpes-Maritimes et l'Ille-et-Vilaine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy