Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc - 20/21

Poster: A snowHead
polo wrote:

I've never come down the Ranfoilly with such amazing conditions, it's usually pisted 50+m wide, but now there's just a single piste track and the rest is deep powder. Too light and fluffy yesterday to stay floating for long, so had to keep using the piste track to regain speed. Noticed a lot of people using the cross country circuit around the Plan Joux lake area between Chamossiere and Rainfolly.

Even leaving at 1030 I still got second tracks down. But later on when the sun came out one of the restaurant owners was ferrying his mates up on a skidoo, local instructors etc.

LA LA LA LA - I'm not listening
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DJL, you've no idea how much my legs hurt, that deep fluffy powder really takes its toll

back on topic...vaccines and refunds Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why, thank you @polo, enjoy it all!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pamski, thx I'll do my best

Went somewhere completely different this morning, purely by chance, and totally unprepared....... this is what I found at 1200m

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I might have done well in 'Guess a ski area' I suppose, could be anywhere.....the lack of trees makes it look higher but it's probably farming land 90% of the time.

Had to run errands in Bas Chablais and had most of my gear in the boot so went exploring a new area. Was still snowing when I set off at 9am, starting at about 900m and shuffled up to 1250m.
Couldn't believe how good the terrain was, will definitely go back....base is only 40cm, but the recent snowfall has compacted nicely so much easier to ride off piste than the fluff fest on Tuesday.

No techno today.

http://youtube.com/v/P0z6yy3sWcI
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo, nice. Tracked it down. Only an hour in the car from Chatel. I feel a day trip coming on one of these days. I really enjoy the smaller resorts. I wont spoil the game for those others who like a challenge!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonderful snow again in the PDS. Probably the best snow I've skied all season and January was pretty good. About 1m fresh at 2000m and really very light.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zzz, did 5,000m vertical today in 2 hours on one chair in exceptional snow. Fabulous. (Les Marécottes) wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DJL, bingo, was it the lift, or the road sign? You must have zoomed in a lot and have better eyesight than me. I've driven past this area a hundred times....but this year, no excuses not to have a better look
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo, kept thinking I recognised it from some of the shots but was wrong. Then saw the lift and thought it might be Bernex. Eventually had to google the name of the lift.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I despair...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, nice for some but you are breaking the spirit of the law....bring out the crabs Very Happy

@DJL, still top detective work as the lift sign was mostly covered in snow

Anyway I can't bear the suspense any longer and have newer pastures to conquer tomorrow....so

Habere Poche, I've often looked down on it from the dizzy heights of Hirmentaz 1500m north ridge. Picture is looking south from Lac Leman, with PdS in the background. Video was within black circle.

I didn't make it up to the top ridge line due to not having any proper gear (poles, water etc), but next time, lifts or no lifts, the line to take is from Hirmnetaz north down to Frastaz / Cretes lifts at Habere Poche.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-03-21 22:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm just in pain!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:

Habere Poche, I've often looked down on it from the dizzy heights of Hirmentaz 1500m north ridge.

We have a day on the circuit Roc d’Enfer from St Jean d’Aulps quite often and that gets you over to La Chevrerie which is really pretty close to this area.

Do you reckon there is enough there for a day, given decent snow? Hirmentaz/Habere Poche linked and single pass?

Edit: piste map here, they link up: https://hirmentaz-bellevaux.com/files/130/Plan-Alpin-HirmentHaberes-2.pdf.pdf

E26.70 for a day pass or E17.20 on a Wednesday hors vacances scolaires
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got my email from SERMA today allowing me to roll my season pass over to 21/22. Hopefully that's all worked OK - I've taken a screen shot just in case!
ski holidays
@DJL, yep enough for a day, with a good lunch. Great value area. We got season passes one year, about 120 eur for an adult back then. But only skied Hirmentaz. And they didn’t even have electronic lift gates, so you could get away with not paying at all. Different now.

Was in Morillon today, snow is still very good.
ski holidays
Managed to do 4 different resorts in 5 days, 3 of them for the first time.

Grand Massif once again delivered a best day of the season, it's such an under-rated area and has a lot of easy access great off piste terrain, with long runs.

But the real surprise for me was Praz de Lys yesterday. Much busier than anywhere else, with so much going on....husky sledging, skidoo hire, people running a race up the pistes over to Sommand side, and so many back country routes to try. The runs in the resort are shorter than Grand Massif and a lot of it is south facing, so it didn't help that we didn't take the best route and the snow was getting crunchy in the sun (5 days after last big snowfall).

Can't wait to explore this area with lifts running, hopefully next december. Marcelly to the west (first pic) looks like a very nice peak to tackle...and you can see many other well known spots in the second pic such as Pointe d'Uble, Pointe de Chalune and Roc d'en Fer.

For anyone who hasn't tried Samoens, Morillon or Sommand - Praz de Lys, these would be my top choices for a short drive from PdS to explore.

http://youtube.com/v/hn3Xfjqm2vQ

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 21-03-21 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
polo wrote:
For anyone who hasn't tried Samoens, Morillon or Sommand - Praz de Lys, these would be my top choices for a short drive from PdS to explore.

Guilty Embarassed Three more days out for next season then.
latest report
@DJL, incomparably better than the smaller lower Hirmentaz area, but in the right conditions of course that end is also worth a look for the novelty factor.

I love my place in Les Gets, bought it for silly money 6 years ago and now it's worth double silly money if you believe the agencies. But I think Grand Massif is my favourite resort now in the NW alps (which includes Chamonix and Verbier Very Happy ).....people like different things of course (it's not that extreme or particularly high), but the terrain suits me, it's all linked up nicely and property is half the price of PdS.

Lots more going on in PdS year-round ...but if you like good off-piste terrain, without the crowds of more infamous neighbours....then it's great value
ski holidays
Hi friends. There is a big chance I get to spend next season In Morzine. I know there is plenty information online about this. But I would like to read some of your personal insights about what would it be to do a season there. Positive and Negative aspects of the area, particularities maybe, and just general advice. I am an advance intermediate that just got into the wonderful world of backcountry skiing. Just as a reference, I spent the last two seasons In Serre Chevalier/Montgenevre. Thank you everyone.
latest report
polo wrote:
No no no, don't go there! wink
We went back to Sommand Sunday, what I've always loved there is the amazing view you suddenly discover when reaching the Praz-de-Lys side. Even better now that we have to earn it with our legs! Totally makes up for last weekend in the fog.

On Saturday the boy had his only inter club race of the season in Perrieres so I was there early enough to enjoy totally empty pistes on my way to Col de Joux Plane, technically joining PdS to Grand Massif. Wish I didn't have to get back to the parking - Chamossieres was within reach.

Best weekend of the season so far!
ski holidays
@Charlieehr, I don’t know much about Morzine but others on here who live there might help. Have you any specific questions? There is endless back country to explore and plenty of groups to join.

@patrick!, yep I shouldn’t really be encouraging anyone towards our favorite quiet places, but it’s safe enough this season to not make a difference. For the record Verbier / Chamonix / Avoriaz are world class in comparison, and everyone should visit them first.

Funny that I came from the Praz side on Saturday and loved the view towards Sommand (2nd pic above).
Which route did you take from Perrieres to Ranfoilly? Stay along the ridge with Grains d’or and Rosta?
latest report
Quote:

Hi friends. There is a big chance I get to spend next season In Morzine. I know there is plenty information online about this. But I would like to read some of your personal insights about what would it be to do a season there. Positive and Negative aspects of the area, particularities maybe, and just general advice. I am an advance intermediate that just got into the wonderful world of backcountry skiing. Just as a reference, I spent the last two seasons In Serre Chevalier/Montgenevre. Thank you everyone.

Admittedly its been a while since I did a season in Morzine, but if I was to ever do another it would probably be my 1st pick.
Great working town atmosphere, great selection of bars, excellent skiing, even when its super peak season there are still quiet areas to be found.
It might not be as high as other resorts, it might not have the epic off piste as big mountain towns such as Val or Cham, but there are *loads* of decent back country routes if you have a guide to help you, and if you get a quiet part of the season with decent snow you can lap Chamossiere all day.
snow conditions
polo wrote:
Funny that I came from the Praz side on Saturday and loved the view towards Sommand (2nd pic above).
Which route did you take from Perrieres to Ranfoilly? Stay along the ridge with Grains d’or and Rosta?
We always love what we don't have!

I cheated, as I started from Chavannes and simply followed the path slowly getting up to the Wetze (which was opened on my way back). From the restaurant I followed the unpisted road *around* the Tete du Vuargne, I think it's sometimes groomed for xc/skating. And then back to the bowl.

Once in Perrières after the race we took a shuttle to Chavannes, I felt a bit ashamed but it would have taken ages for my son to walk back up. Lots of alpine skiers do rounds and rounds... Confused
latest report
Praz de Lys is our go to quiet place when the hordes arrive in Les Gets, typically French and rare to hear an English voice.
@polo, Where in Les Gets are you? we bought 10 years ago and still love it, I haven't really looked at what the prices are doing as we have no intention of selling!
snow conditions
We also used to go to Praz de Lys very often from Les Gets - very quick to whip up there - except when the road was closed so much, and for two or three years we bought season passes for Praz and some years just had the LG/Morzine pass as well, particularly when the dog was very young and we didn’t want to leave her for too many hours. If we had the very small grandchildren staying then Praz was a delight when the Chavannes area got busy.
Just having to work out which year we sold! It was 2018 having bought the plot of land in 1999 - now that does sound a long time ago.
ski holidays
So it looks like LG gave up on the season right after the French championships last weekend - the front de neige is left to melt, brown patches all over the place up to Chavannes, and then they started to clear the roads/paths of the snow to Col du Ranfolly (top of Nauchets). As a result it was less crowded than usual at the Tete de Vuargne (or maybe people were all in shopping areas panic buying).

I know they needed Perrières for the French championship slalom last weekend, but they could have restored service for the ski clubs?

Compare to Avo (we went on Good Friday) where clubs were still training - one from as far as Manigod. First time on skins for my OH, we took advantage of Prodains running until 05/apr to start from higher and enjoy our kids free day.
snow conditions
@Chattonmill, see below, about 1300m. Slightly more snow than yesterday

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At least 10cm settled fluffy snow at 1600m, felt the base on a few turns but no damage

Was the only one on the mountain today, and still snowing lightly.

That’s 8 months in a row of sliding here at just above sea-level

latest report
Zoomed in, sunsetting behind south facing Mont Chery about 1600-1800m

snow conditions
Headed up to Ranfoilly, wind was whipping the snow around, but very light powdery snow, probably 20cm fresh above 1600m

Chamossiere looked in good nick in the distance

1800m

2 tracks already down Ranfoilly when we arrived at 11am

Skinned up again from the bowl to Perrieres....snow was not so good over that side, getting crunchy....but could ski all the way down to the car park at 1150m

latest report
Don't rub it in!
Nah, go on, there's always next seaon Smile

Now that I have the skins I can start early - you can be sure if snow's a early as last September we'll do more than sledging in Chavannes this time.
latest report
@patrick!, it ain't over though.....I still haven't been to Avoriaz this season, north faces there should last into May this year. There is no sign of a serious warm up in the forseeable, so a gradual climb back to average temps by next week, but I think there's more to come.

Have skied in LG end of May twice, and once in early June....so don't pack the skins away just yet
snow report
There’s still great snow in Avoriaz. It’s a bit wind and sun affected at the moment but plenty of depth.
There will be touring into May and beyond, especially in the Dents Blanches where the peaks reach 2700+m. I guess it depends on one’s 10km radius though.
ski holidays
Yes it's all outside of our radius for now - but what I read above is encouraging, I just don't want to count on it. It'd be a nice and welcome surprise!
latest report
Well there you go - I left some traces on Chamoisieres. Not the ideal conditions but still relatively safe. There were already a few purges (one avalanche made it down to the Arbis piste).

More of a hiking/skiing combo because it was quite a short outing on skis, but a nice way to end the season. Or not? Smile
snow report
@zzz, "There will be touring into May and beyond"

?

Happy to drive to get to it. Mind you, I can't he bothered running today wink
snow conditions
@under a new name, ?
You saw the rain last week and the fohn this weekend?
Still skiable from Avoriaz but there are, perhaps, better things to do.
ski holidays
Heavily discounted season passes for 21/22 go on sale June 2nd, €549.

https://www.ski-morzine.com/en/offre/prevente-saison-pds

EDIT:

@WindOfChange, beat me to it

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155695&highlight=
ski holidays
Les Gets lift queue this afternoon

https://imgur.com/a/vYHp62o

cant figure out how to embed the photo Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy