Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2020/21 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@nickH, March should be fine we are normally out there mid March and have always had good snow.

No public holidays in March , White Pearl Mountain Days starts in the Ski Circus on 13 March more info at, https://www.saalbach.com/en/events/white-pearl-mountain-days_e_2096

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-11-20 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red Turns (Free Austrian wine tasting in all the mountain huts) in Zell am See probably 3rd weekend in March.
Excellent day out but you'll need a cheese plate or two mop up as the afternoon wears on..... hic.

Hochkonig Kraft Beer Festival around the same weekend.
https://www.hochkoenig.at/de/blog/artikel/1-craft-bier-festival-der-alpen-am-hochkoenig.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @radar, and @Klamm Franzer, sounds as though march worth a gamble, so will make the change .I think , however, I'll be torn between 'white pearl' health and fitness or 'red turns' wine tasting !! Actually that's not true - can only be wine tasting snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Klamm Franzer, and @radar, also I would naturally have been doing a racing stop, rather gliding to a gradual stop with a hint of snow plough.

@nickH, Mid-March conditions have been excellent in the recent seasons. The first week of March is still high season - it gets noticeably quieter after then. Fasching week appears to be 13-20/02/21, so no worries there - although it seems likely that any festivities are likely to be cancelled; also that crowds are unlikely to be a problem, even during peak weeks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @tatmanstours, for the reassurance - I'll look into changing my tickets and at the accomodation options for March.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

personally not a fan of catered chalets, as a food lover I want to try different restaurants

@ribblevalleyblue, that comment inspires me to make a few recommendations, and perhaps start a mouth-watering discussion:
Schattberg Stub’n - mixed grill
Del Rossi - lamb chops
Hungry Deer - spare ribs, burgers
Soul House - spare ribs, burgers, fondues
Parma - pizzas
Il Desco - pasta
Kohlmais Stub’n - mixed grill
Hecherhuette - beef medallions, tiger prawns in garlic and chilli sauce, steaks, gulasch soup, fondues
Tiroler Buam - you name it!
Heirigenstube - ditto
Bergeralm - burgers, bacon and eggs, apfel/topfenstrudl
Hotel Peter - Felsensteak
That’ll do for starters!

Some great shouts there, must say though that to contradict a bit myself and ‘ I don’t like catering in house’ due to the first visit with my wife and 4 year old son this year, she wanted in house catering and we stayed for the first time in Hotel Kohlmais (your next door neighbour) and the food there was amazing and the best I have had in Saalbach, easily outshone the best 3 hotels I stayed in, Sonne, Art Kristiana and Alpinresort. Unfortunately it is for residents only I believe, as I would definitely want to dine there as a restaurant of choice if staying elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

we stayed for the first time in Hotel Kohlmais (your next door neighbour) and the food there was amazing and the best I have had in Saalbach

@ribblevalleyblue, That's good to hear. We were invited in June to the opening party of their new outside bar and seated area (which is of course directly opposite the entrance to the Kohlmaisbahn gondola station, so picks up the walking and mountain biker trade). A lovely place to sit and have a few drinks, especially in the early evening when the sun is on that side of the hotel. They have very efficient electric patio heaters for when the sun goes down. We were treated to free drinks and nosh all evening, and we were certainly impressed by their sushi, vol au vents and mini-burger snacks. They're a nice, friendly family. I'll make a point of passing on your compliments about their food next time I run into any of them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatmanstours, Just looking again at your restaurant list, at the Crazy Deer I would add the pulled pork burger as a must try, plus they have proper Dutch chip mayonnaise Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, I must try one - always seem to go for spare ribs or pizzas in there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Current state of play:
It's currently below zero much of the time (-6C this morning), and the snow cannons are churning out plenty of snow.
The forecast is for a sprinkling of snow mid-week, and a dump on Friday night into Saturday.
Apparently we're to expect a further announcement this Wednesday, and it's likely that the opening date will be deferred from 7th Dec to 18th (which is unsurprising).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing to do with the Ski Circus really but this website has a lot of good quality web cams in the area. I was checking the snow this morning and came across this cam which is new for this season, I think.

https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/hochkoenig/

The view is from the Matrashaus refuge on the Hochkoning and the view is across to the Kitzsteinhorn. Anoraks of the region will spot the Maiskogel pistes at the top right-ish and the ridge belonging to Zell am See to the right of that. The foreground is Dienten, right in the middle of the picture, with the Aberg on the right and the top of the Kings Cab lift out of Mulbach on the left. If you click to zoom in, there is Grossarl, on the left and the Gastein valley. Rauris is also just about visible top-centre between Gastein and the glacier.

Anyway, apologies @Tatmanstours for spamming your thread Toofy Grin Here's a link to the top of the Asitz, where you can see some relevant snow canonary!
https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/asitz/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
New Ski lift under construction in Saalbach !!

http://youtube.com/v/J6x25_Nzc6Y
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Copied from the Saalbach announcement on Facebook:

“Today the Austrian government announced which areas may be opened at what date. We can therefore give you clear information about when facilities in the Skicircus will open!

Lifts & Slopes from December 24th 2020 Accommodation & Gastronomy from January 7th 2021

Winter is coming for sure, albeit with a little delay. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back to Skicircus soon!”

Note that a quarantine requirement also applies to anyone arriving from a high risk area between 19th December and 10th January
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds reasonably positive Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wistfully, just had a look at the webcam to see the snow (not a lot as yet). had email from one of the hotels we have stayed in in the past offering a deal for later in the season but still cant travel ,its becoming more and more likely we wont be out to play as even if they start to open in mid jan can forsee major problems re travel with the b word effect never mind actual virus, im living in hope rather than living
snow report
@ski for fun, look at the webcams again and you’ll see that it’s currently snowing pretty hard. (Yes, nature has a cruel sense of humour.)
ski holidays
just had another look at the webcams seems leogang is open for skiing but mountain huts shut no lifts running elswhere on the main circus i could see ,just a few intrepid hikers ,presume its locals only in leogang car park fairly full
snow report
@ski for fun, Only Leogan and Fieberbrunn are open, plus the lift from Viehhofen over to Zell.

Saalbach - Hinterglemm decided not to open, because of the FFP2 mask requirement, the felt it was too much of a risk to ask their employees to monitor compliance.
snow report
Quote:

Saalbach - Hinterglemm decided not to open, because of the FFP2 mask requirement, the felt it was too much of a risk to ask their employees to monitor compliance.

Thought by some to be a masquerade
snow report
radar wrote:
@ski for fun, Only Leogan and Fieberbrunn are open, plus the lift from Viehhofen over to Zell.

cant say the connection to zell enhanced our visit to the circus last visit the run back down was pretty grim and wasnt overly impressed with zell but maybe just hit poor conditions and too many folks ,
the way things are shaping up reckon a trip to see if its better wont be happening this season even in mid march
snow report
@ski for fun, we haven't been over either, might do if we get to go out in March.

The Shattberg and Schönleitenbahn are now open.
latest report
Im resigned to this years trip being written off ,not so sure that next year will be anything like that which we have enjoyed in saalbach ( great skiing great apres wonderful evenings . At my age plus a couple more before things get back to any semblance of what we look forward to can see it will be a cocoa and slippers trip with the grandkids in tow gathering them up from ski school lunch then meeting their parents before a shower and change for dinner then bed, surely it wont come to this
snow report
Actually the Schattberg Xpress and Limberg chair lift, combined with the Schönleitenbahn and Poltenlift open up enough skiing for the numbers currently here. Add Leogang and Zell am See, both of which are accessible from Saalbach without any necessity to drive, and there’s more than enough. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t be jumping for joy if they were to open the Kohlmaisbahn and Bernkogelbahn, but that seems highly unlikely.
snow report
Ski Lockers or Ski Depot in Saalbach/ Hinterglemm

This list just received from the ever helpful S/H tourist office. Places where lockers can be rented or skis stored in the valley, though as some are shops it may be only for equipment rented from them. Used the facility at Schattberg last year and it was simple and convenient. Hopefully of help for future seasons.

SAALBACH

Check In Silverleih/ Schattberg X Press
Bründl Sports Kohlmaisbahn
Sport Hagleitner
Skifürst

HINTERGLEMM

Zwölferkogelbahn (auch Gruppendepots) Ibexx sports at this locn too
Zwölfer-Nordbahn (NUR Gruppendepots)
U-Bahn / Ski'n Soul Shop
Rabbit Sports by Hasenauer

VORDERGLEMM

Schönleitenbahn / Sport Heugenhauser (auch Gruppendepots)
Sports 4 You

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 19-01-21 11:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report
An update to the list,

Ibexx closed after the 18/19 season, they were a bit out of town.
snow conditions
@radar, thanks, list edited to prevent anyone only reading my post and being misinformed.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ski Lockers or Ski Depot in Saalbach/ Hinterglemm

Our recommended ski rental shop, Hansi’s Best-Price (next but one to Bobby’s Pub, at the bottom end of the main village street) does not have such facilities. However Hansi does offer friendly, expert advice, very good equipment and service, a free schnapps, and an extra discount (if you mention my name).
Anyone staying in central Saalbach, or near a lift station, or intending to use different gondolas/Abfahrts, may prefer to store their equipment in their accommodation’s ski/boot rooms.
ski holidays
A bit more opening up, unlike @tatmanstours, we won’t be able to take advantage just yet

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, just hope it doesn’t attract more Covid into the valley. The areas that are currently open (Schattberg Ost, Schönleiten, Leogang, and Kohlmais for skiing down only) are currently pretty quiet, so with these big areas now to be opened, the slopes should be even more deserted.

For us locals there are some undeniable silver linings to the current situation. I have even been bumping into Mike from the Spitzbub, out skiing with his family, and with an ear to ear grin on his face - in stark contrast to his distinctly unhappy expression a few weeks ago. I can only imagine that bar owners like him are getting some compensation from the government.

It may well be that this season will go down in history as the only one, in which the mountains were as empty of people as when skiing was in its infancy, when the only sound to be heard, as you skied homewards down the Kohlmais, was the occasional twitter of a bird, when you could find untouched corduroy in the middle of the afternoon, and when the slopes were mercifully devoid of the strains of “Jonny Depp, Depp, Depp”, and “Mama Lauda”.

Amongst the other silver linings is the discovery that I can make a pretty passable Jagatee, and that après-skiing in the comfort of one’s own living room has its pleasures.
latest report
Nothing wrong with some good cheesy apres and Mrs T is very adept at Cowboy und Indianer
snow conditions
@kb36, So far, Cowboy und Indianer has been given a rest for this season Very Happy
snow report
Does anyone else call it Legoland?! (Leogang)
latest report
@Ricky B, yes, occasionally
snow report
I got a Leogland from someone last year!
latest report
While on the topic (or maybe off it!), another one I remember from repping days was Les Menswear (Les Menuires). Any more??!
snow report
Quote:
was Les Menswear (Les Menuires).

We used to call it Les Manures, as it was such an ugly looking place Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@geoffers, you're not the only one Laughing
latest report
As I have previously observed, some members of my circle are self-confessed non-linguists: hence the Bergeralm is usually referred to as the “Burglar Alarm”, the Underbar as the “Wonderbra”, the Goassstall as the “Goat Stall”, the Hecherhütte as “Hector’s House, and Fieberbrunn as “Feel My Bum”.
snow report
Skied Leogang and on to Saalbach yesterday, a bluebird day. Up the Schattberg but didn't go on to Hinterglemm, though it would have been possible. Pistes in good condition, I especially enjoyed the Jauser piste 2a down to the Schönleiten gondola which was great without moguls - not that surprising with not that many skiers about. Didn't spot any take away food stalls - are there any on the Saalbach slopes?
latest report
A bit unreal Saalbach is going to host a World Cup race

“The Alpine Ski World Cup in Saalbach! From March 5th to 7th 2021, the Audi FIS Ski World Cup Men's Downhills & Super-G will take place on the legendary World Cup course on the Zwölferkogel, which will also host the races of the Alpine World Ski Championships 2025. Two downhill races are scheduled for March 5th and 6th, followed by the Super-G on March 7th”
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy