Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite Ski Lodgings

Poster: A snowHead
Its that time of year again when the leaves turn crinkly and we find ourselves dreaming again of mountain stuff.

I've stayed in a lot of places, some fantastic and some dire.
Some expensive and some reasonable.

What's been your best experience?
I'll share mine later, in case someone else has been there too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DrLawn wrote:
I'll share mine later, in case someone else has been there too....

Well your signature is a bit of a give away Laughing

All good for SEO Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chalet Chantemerle in Les Gets. It’s close enough to town that you can walk in in the morning down to sport 2000 to get your boots and skis (and if you miss the bus in the evening it’s doable too), but far enough out to be a) quiet and b) significantly cheaper than right in town. 6 of us normally share 4 double bedrooms for the same price you’d pay for 2 beds in town. Has a lovely sitting/living/dining with balcony and open fire. The only thing it’s missing is a hot tub. That for me would be the ideal chalet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well in recent years two lodgings that I have often used spring to mind.

Firstly in Wengen my regular resting place for the last 5 years or so has been the excellent value (for Switzerland) Hotel Edelweiss. The owner Daniel and his staff are very welcoming and I am looking forward to being back there immediately after Xmas.

Secondly the Sporthotel Europa in Alleghe, as used by the preBBWUW snowHead . Again the staff are super friendly, and the food is excellent. The hotel shuttle service to and from the skilift is very convenient.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, I’d have to go for Landhaus Fay personally. Blush

http://landhausfay.com/

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 3-10-21 23:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My favourite was the Falken at Wengen. Lovely oak panels, vintage photos, loads of tradition. Clock 5 minutes fast so that guests would not miss their trains. Pleasant bar. Piano lounge complete with pianist (Al Copley on at least two of the weeks I was there). Easy to make one's way out the back, on to the slopes and ski out - and just as simple return from the slopes.

However, when I used to go there, I was well into off piste - and the Swiss banned skiing through the trees - which used to have lovely runs. So one was faced with the cost of the ChF and some of the off-list I enjoyed being no longer available. TBF there was plenty of challenging off piste still available, but I decided it was no longer for me, and switched my allegiance to Les Deux Alpes.

If I still had infinite time to ski, I'd go back there - after all I am now on-piste only. However I am now down to one week annually (pre Covid) and LDA suits me fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Post Hotel in Lake Louise.

However, I look forward to some day finding a better one.

Just like with ski areas, sometimes it is who you are with, or the weather, or one great meal or some other part of the experience rather than the place itself.

Actually, the reason my family moved to Whitefish was probably the Hidden Moose Lodge.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hotel Bristol in Zermatt. Not flashy, but comfy rooms with amazing view of The Matterhorn, an excellent breakfast and great location. Mr P and I went to Zermatt at the end of Nov every year for about 10 years for 2-3 nights on the Swiss Ski Test package and, though we occasionally tried somewhere else, some of which were a bit/a lot fancier, this will always be the default option were we to go back.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hotel Zermatterhof in Zermatt, but I hasten to add we have only been once, otherwise the very good hotel La Couronne in Zermatt.
Zermatterhof is the best hotel I have stayed in full stop, really exceptional.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beaver Run Resort Breckenridge early December
Radison SAS Arc 1950 at Christmas

(Both Self Catering)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys for getting me drooling for the season.

The place that keeps popping into my mind is in Zell am See,
https://www.two-timez.com/en/

We booked a holiday with Crystal a few years ago and this place was brand new.
What impressed me most was the shower.
Austrian bathrooms can be amazing.
We had to have breakfast in the main hotel next door the Heitsmann which was pretty good with a friendly bar.
But we could no longer afford or get into the Two Timez.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I see Wengen & Zermatt are getting multi votes.
I've never been to Wengen .. but we did a very pleasant hotel Sailor in Zermatt many years ago.
The room was fantastic with a big round bath for two and a glorious view of Mt Toblerone.

@Weathercam, Ah! I forgot my signature, I was not pushing Bear Paw lodge ...
Its really for self catering family groups, who want to get the Canadian flavour of adventure and wilderness.
I'm lucky enough to be getting an invite there again at the end of January for a couple of weeks.

I hope that turns out to be another dream trip.
I've rented a behemoth of an SUV ... a Chevy Suburban, that should take four of us and all the luggage.
We'll do Norquay, Sunshine, The Lake + Kicking Horse
and hopefully a couple of days at Revelstoke.

And if things really work out .. we'll get sleds (skiddoos) and get out in the wilderness for some ice fishing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sibhusky, We'll have to look up the Post in Lake Louise ..
I was going to stay in the Youth Hostel there once.
I've been to the Fairmont there, but only for hot chocolate. Razz

A place we always end up in is the Caribou Lodge in Banff. I have to give them a mention because they were so helpful.
We were on route to Golden but it started to snow heavy at Canmore, we just managed to make it into Banff ..
I didnt think they would have room for us .. but they gave us a budget room at a very very reasonable price.

Then they got the staff out to dig the car out of the drift outside in the side road and got us into the cellar car park.

I think they should get a medal for that.
(great breakfast buffet too!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:

Awww, thanks geepee Smile Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
I see Wengen & Zermatt are getting multi votes.

I would echo the vote for La Couronne in Zermatt, very good indeed. Schönegg in Wengen also very good, as is the Bären, but family holidays (3 generations) at the Caprice were brilliant in the 1990s.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 5-10-21 0:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
geepee wrote:

I was choosing lodgings specifically in a ski resort, lovely as Bad Ischl is it's not itself a ski resort. Wink If I had to choose a general place to stay in Austria then the welcome at Landhaus Fay can't be beaten. Very Happy (How's that @Cacciatore Toofy Grin )
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
geepee wrote:

I was choosing lodgings specifically in a ski resort, lovely as Bad Ischl is it's not itself a ski resort. Wink If I had to choose a general place to stay in Austria then the welcome at Landhaus Fay can't be beaten. Very Happy (How's that @Cacciatore Toofy Grin )

That’s fine, thanks, Alastair Very Happy
ski holidays
Hotel Couronne in Argentiere. Was delightfully old and shabby, remarkably cheap, and with a lovely old boy, M. Mortier, as the owner. He's since sadly died, and it's passed on to his son, so no idea how it's faring, these days..
snow report
Any boat to sail n'ski on in the Lyngen Alps Cool
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Secondly the Sporthotel Europa in Alleghe, as used by the preBBWUW snowHead . Again the staff are super friendly, and the food is excellent. The hotel shuttle service to and from the skilift is very convenient.

I’m still full due to the cakes from the Sport Hotel Europa! Laughing

I also stayed in Wengen just before COVID restrictions were put in place, at the Bernerhof and whilst the hotel was quite basic in comparison to the others, the staff were friendly and the food was extremely good. I had a cheese fondue one night and really enjoyed it.

As for Banff, I’ll put a good word in for the Brewsters Mountain Lodge, it’s right in the centre of Banff and the ski bus stop is only a few minutes walk away behind the Mount Royal across the road, again friendly and good staff with a complimentary continental breakfast which was basic but enough for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy