Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer Factory Fire

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If this is posted somewhere that I didn't see it, sorry about that, but I searched and didn't find information on this.

Fischer factory caught fire on Monday.
It looks like it was contained pretty quickly but not until it sustained some significant damage.
https://planetski.eu/2020/10/14/huge-fire-destroys-europes-biggest-ski-factory/?fbclid=IwAR0zpjCuVsXGi2L5TbOZv1zX02XTF7wxAZe9CihHI75r8kClzKENse3Ipg4

Snip from article:
It took them three hours to bring the blaze in the one-story building under control and they prevented it spreading to the main warehouse.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They have some vintage fire trucks in Ukraine

Thankfully doesn't appear there were any fatalities - maybe a "lucky" thing it happened in a year when demand is likely to be depressed for new ski equipment Puzzled

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot of different brands produce their skis in there actually (Scott, Stöckli, Tecno Pro, Hagan, Rossignol, Alpina, etc ) :/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
extremerob wrote:
They have some vintage fire trucks in Ukraine

Thankfully doesn't appear there were any fatalities - maybe a "lucky" thing it happened in a year when demand is likely to be depressed for new ski equipment Puzzled


Actually I'm not so sure about the low demand.
What I have found out while talking to Mike Hattrup recently is that Fischer is one brand that has a bit of stress on the supply at this time.
Right when COVID shut everything down, several shops cut back on orders. Now they are seeing protocols in place for the winter and they are trying to increase orders but manufacturers produced based on orders (read conservative surplus)and don't have a ton of surplus to spread around.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My reading of the market in the UK, which I am sure fellow snowheads will slowly turn into yet another covid debate, is that the market remains depressed, coupled with the economic outlook, spend on ski holidays/new equipment at this time will not be top of the list.

I was under the impression that manufacturers produce skis during the summer months - though would be great to actually know how they manage the production, and what they do during the winter months. Found this over on new schoolers

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't see many holiday skiers buying new kit for a winter in which they may be unable to ski. Thought did occur to me that a well insured loss beats a bad trading season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
extremerob wrote:
My reading of the market in the UK, which I am sure fellow snowheads will slowly turn into yet another covid debate, is that the market remains depressed, coupled with the economic outlook, spend on ski holidays/new equipment at this time will not be top of the list.

I was under the impression that manufacturers produce skis during the summer months - though would be great to actually know how they manage the production, and what they do during the winter months. Found this over on new schoolers


That ven diagram must be a few years old.
There are a few missing brands and I'm pretty sure that 4FRNT is made in Canada now since Jason Levinthal purchased them a few years ago. (I could be wrong, but I'll check on that)
The former owner of 4FRNT (Matt Sterbenz)has a new start up WNDR Alpine

https://wndr-alpine.com


I know for a fact that manufacturers were crushed when orders were being cancelled, but many of the orders rebounded as resorts started to set a plan in place to ski this winter.
Not a full rebound, but at least some recovery. All of them are hurting.

Keep in mind that most of my conversations are with national product managers for the US.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A little clarification from somoene who works at Stöckli in the thread on my site.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/fire-at-factory-that-produces-fischer-skis.21000/post-524300

LindseyB, post: 524300, member: 4058 wrote:

If any of you have been directly involved with a news story, you will understand how incorrect reporters are on facts.

Stöckli kids skis were built at the Fischer factory 8 years ago. The reporter is off by 8 years.

ALL adult Stöckli Skis with the exception of the Axis Pro are made in Switzerland at the Malters facility and we have now taken all adult production in house only.

The Axis is built by Head.

The Junior skis are built in Slovenia.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Delete.


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 15-10-20 14:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

That ven diagram must be a few years old.

For sure, no mention of some significant factories, as well as brands.

NBL press a lot more than just Majesty
Faction have never (to my knowledge) pressed all their skis at Sporten
Sporten press for more than two brands

etc etc

Still an interesting graph though, love to see an upto date and accurate one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Them skis is smoking... Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Can't see many holiday skiers buying new kit for a winter in which they may be unable to ski. Thought did occur to me that a well insured loss beats a bad trading season.


Although some may decide that instead of spending money on a trip, they'll buy some new gear ready for 21/22. The thought has certainly crossed my mind
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Can't see many holiday skiers buying new kit for a winter in which they may be unable to ski. Thought did occur to me that a well insured loss beats a bad trading season.


Although some may decide that instead of spending money on a trip, they'll buy some new gear ready for 21/22. The thought has certainly crossed my mind

There is that.
Not sure about Europe, but in the US many people are opting to ski close to home, spending their travel money on gear instead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TriciaPug wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Can't see many holiday skiers buying new kit for a winter in which they may be unable to ski. Thought did occur to me that a well insured loss beats a bad trading season.


Although some may decide that instead of spending money on a trip, they'll buy some new gear ready for 21/22. The thought has certainly crossed my mind

There is that.
Not sure about Europe, but in the US many people are opting to ski close to home, spending their travel money on gear instead.


We definitely saw that with bikes, kayaks, running stuff, etc in Austria this summer, and I imagine we'll see similar with ski touring kit (in particular) for the winter; but that's all stuff people can actually use without travelling. I kinda doubt most UK folk will buy ski kit in the same way though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Although some may decide that instead of spending money on a trip, they'll buy some new gear ready for 21/22. The thought has certainly crossed my mind


I was ready to pull the trigger on new skis this year, but I am now thinking if I get any days out this winter I might as well wait and get the 21/22 line next fall, you know them newer graphics just make you faster Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
clarky999 wrote:
TriciaPug wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Can't see many holiday skiers buying new kit for a winter in which they may be unable to ski. Thought did occur to me that a well insured loss beats a bad trading season.


Although some may decide that instead of spending money on a trip, they'll buy some new gear ready for 21/22. The thought has certainly crossed my mind

There is that.
Not sure about Europe, but in the US many people are opting to ski close to home, spending their travel money on gear instead.


We definitely saw that with bikes, kayaks, running stuff, etc in Austria this summer, and I imagine we'll see similar with ski touring kit (in particular) for the winter; but that's all stuff people can actually use without travelling. I kinda doubt most UK folk will buy ski kit in the same way though.


Bikes, running gear and tennis has done very well this summer in the UK. Bikes of course getting a big push in London due to people wanting to avoid public transport.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
extremerob wrote:
Bikes of course getting a big push in London due to people wanting to avoid public transport.


I reckon the bike thieves had a bumper year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ster wrote:
I reckon the bike thieves had a bumper year.


I'm not so sure - yes they probably liquidated what ever they had - but gumtree had buggerall for a good part of May-July - I have a feeling there weren't as many bikes being left locked outside clubs/bars/cafes/pubs/restos as people stayed in more
ski holidays



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy