Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer storage of skis?

Poster: A snowHead
What's the accepted wisdom on summer storage of skis? I've given a quick hot scrape of my skis to clean them, applied a generous coat of all-purpose wax wax on base and edges (left unscraped), loosened the bindings and left them stored on their tails and not clipped together. Is there anything different/else I should have done?

Do bindings need maintenance/lubrication which can be easily done at home?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

There's a question wink

Read your handbook, all manufacturers have a 20-30 day's use before servicing (or at least annually) requirement. Store them in a clean, dry/temperature stable environment and have them serviced/lubricated/tested by an authorised technician prior to your next trip.

They're not rocket science, but they are designed and manufactured to very tight tolerances and used in a harsh environment. I have a three year old set of rental bindings that are completely sh*gged
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure I read somewhere that loosening bindings doesn't do anything,but also not to store them clipped together.

Also I wonder if it's best to store them with the binding released or as if a boot were in them??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

interesting.....in most cases the binding is a sealed unit that you cannot get into to do any servicing on, what you have done is absolutly fine, mind you there is question as to whether or not winding the DIN settings down is required Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Store the skis with the bindings closed (but NOT with the boots in). It is supposed to maintain the "springyness" of the springs according to the literature I got with my bindings.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year I mounted and tested a pair of Salomon S900 Equipe bindings...they had been on another pair of skis for 5 years or so. The DIN had not been wound down, and they were left in the 'open' position.

They tested fine snowHead

I'm not suggesting this is the correct procedure...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, Sealed! Shocked ... only if your toolkit is limited to an emery board and and a high gloss lacquer Smile

There is a real question regarding the tension level of the heel release spring in the closed or open position. Atomic and Look/Rossignol minimal tension is when the heel unit is up as if the boot was in the binding.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ice perv wrote:
Store the skis with the bindings closed (but NOT with the boots in).

That's what I've done.

On a new pair of bindings I recently bought there is a little bit of grease to be seen (a pale green colour) which looks like its purpose is lubrication rather than residue from manufacturing. I was just wondering if new bindings are lubricated is there a need to add some additional lubricant during an annual service. Although my ski service kit is in France I'm sure I could rustle up a heavy duty emery board from Jane's make-up cupboard if that's what's needed...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always give mine (bindings) a quick squirt of WD40 before storage, just to keep the moisture out. Dunno if it's a good idea or not?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque,

yes sealed, when you wind the DIN down to minimum on most bindings the screw oes not come out (if it did there is a risk that it would fall out and all the bits would drop out).....now go back to the older styles of bindings Look turntable etc and if you keep winding the whole thing comes to bits, you used to get spare springs for the 99RS for when they snapped

AxsMan, you would be better with a silicon style lube as the oil in WD40 can attract dirt and cause problems i the long term, a very good quality grease can be applyed to the track to enable this to be adjusted in the future.

BUT PLEASE, do not put vasaline or similar on the edges and then take your skis into a shop for service, A] it is petroleum based and will destroy the base & B] either the machine in the shop or your skis will get trashed when they slip on the autofeed when being put through the stone grinder!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, From my research and data from the binding manufacturers, that's probably not a good idea. They use a specific low temperature grease on the binding's working surfaces, WD40 under pressure might well wash this off and affect the friction coefficient that keeps them within the DIN standard they're legally required to perform to.

The manufacturers try to make their equipment as foolproof as possible ... but it's still a piece of engineering that's open to the environment and easily contaminated by conditions and debris. In your own equipment you can sense changes in its performance ... it's a different ball game if you're using rented or borrowed kit.

For best and safest results, follow the manufacturers requirements ... they're there for a reason.

edit: SH*T the grammar! Sad must remember to engage brain before smacking keyboard with forehead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 28-04-06 18:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok - thanks Masque and CEM for the comments. So would I be better to use a silicon spray, or use nothing at all? or try to get hold of some of the grease used by the manufacturers? (is it sold in ski shops?).

I'd obviously like to do whatever is best for the safety and longevity of the bindings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, VP90 is the best anti-corrosion system for metal storage
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, I'm not a bindings technician ... I've just had to do a lot of research into the products and I have no hands-on experience. However I do respect the designers and engineers that produce the kit and recon they have the best interests of both the retailer and the user in mind when making their bindings ... add to that the legislation that's part of the production process it's difficult to ignore their instructions. Any lubricant that meets the international SAE/ISO standards used by the manufacturer is fine, you just need to be qualified to apply it in the right place and quantity. It is a legal requirement for ski hirers to maintain servicing qualifications and servicing records ... when was the last time anyone here asked for a copy of those records for the skis they've borrowed or hired from a company?

VP90 is a vapour based anti-corrosion system designed for gun care, but it's perfect for skis as it only acts on unprotected metal and is not oil based.

edited for even worse grammar than is remaining.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 28-04-06 16:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, this stuff? http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1446

or the sachets? (I don't have a 'sealed environment' to store our ski's, they spend the summer leaning against a wall in our spare room).

(I also shoot (and store) a couple of Air rifles including a Logun Axsor so it could come in handy).
latest report
AxsMan, The sachet in a ski bag is perfect, though if you store them somewhere dry and temperature stable why worry?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, Cut them up into small pieces and put them in a box, wait until next year and buy some Mantra, Seth, Pure, Hot Rod Top Fuel. Little Angel
ski holidays
The edges on my new skis were a bit rusty when i came back from Val Thorens! I've cleaned it down a bit with a dry cloth. Is there anything i should do or should of done before that could help?
ski holidays
AN02ZEJ, you could just rub a candle along the edges, my boards always used to come out clean after a Summer in their bag. I now use a sachet of VP90 in the bags year round and don't have any corrosion at all, but I do rinse off dirt etc. then dry them before their summer sleep.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Cut them up into small pieces and put them in a box, wait until next year and buy some Mantra, Seth, Pure, Hot Rod Top Fuel. Little Angel

Hmmm! They're a pair of Volkl Karma - do you really want me to cut them up?
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, summer storage! Shocked

Just keep skiing.
ski holidays
I was planning on sleeping with mine snowHead
snow conditions
Did you ever get your bumps technique sorted? The timing of the pole plant?
snow report
comprex, funny you should mention that - armed with shiny new skis curtesy of spyderjon (Volkl 5*'s) I've had a very good couple of weeks ski-ing this year and felt much more confident and in control. As a result I started doing little jumps off the edge of the piste, to amuse myself - I've encountered a couple of smallish bump fields and found them not to be much of a problem - doing little jumps means I'm happy-ish going straight over bumps, as well as around them. The main problem I've had in bumps is avoiding the "roadkill" wink

More extensive bump fields and icy bumps I'm still avoiding. Shocked

Can't over-emphasise the benefits I've found from having my own skis - I think the Volkl 5* are a fairly advanced on piste ski (which isn't how I would have described my ski-ing) and seem to suit me pretty well. Interestingly Mrs H tried out then bought a pair of K2 Burnin' Luvs right at the end of our last trip, having had a great morning on a demo pair. If she'd known they were described as advanced / expert she wouldn't have tried them. If you put the 5*'s and the Burnin' Luvs face to face they're pretty much identical shape...
latest report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Can't over-emphasise the benefits I've found from having my own skis - I think the Volkl 5* are a fairly advanced on piste ski (which isn't how I would have described my ski-ing) and seem to suit me pretty well. Interestingly Mrs H tried out then bought a pair of K2 Burnin' Luvs right at the end of our last trip, having had a great morning on a demo pair. If she'd known they were described as advanced / expert she wouldn't have tried them. If you put the 5*'s and the Burnin' Luvs face to face they're pretty much identical shape...

There's a really good summary of what reviews are worth! Good for her not to cave to marketing.
snow report
comprex, more a case of ignorance than intent wink
ski holidays
Masque, All good advice - thanks!
ski holidays
MIne an hubby's are in our ski locker at the apartment, just in caes we get over there in late June and decide to go to LDA for the day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our new and unused (well my son has had his out once in MK) skis are in the garden shed with the spiders. The house is full. Maybe I'll give them a light rub with a candle just on the edges.

Hopefully we will also get to LDA in a few weeks.
snow report
Well, my slalom skis will be mostly in the car Shocked (or maybe the front porch), as I use them every Sat and Weds, and hardly use to car other than to get to the ski-slope. Probably ought to do what rob@rar.org.uk does for the "all-mountain"s though.
snow report
GrahamN, Well done ! snowHead Are we going to see you at one of the regionals ? Puzzled
snow report
ski, not sure about that Shocked - maybe one at the end of the season - but I'm plucking up courage at the moment to sign up for the SRSA series (I know I missed Chatham last week, but couldn't be bothered going that far)
ski holidays
GrahamN, 18 June is the next one - at Aldershot - it would be good to get another snowHead there ! You need to get you entry in before the Wednesday before the race.........
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy