Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed wobble

Poster: A snowHead
@Cazzro, speed wobble . . . oh so many options rolling eyes

Boots too stiff . . . can't get yer mass toward the front of the skis
Boots too loose . . . to frightened to get yer mass toward the front of the skis
Ankles too puny for the boot/ski combo
Leg wobble = ski wobble
'Le position Angaise' (s**t not s**g) . . . though it is perfectly possible to ski well with yer bum over yer heels . . . with practice!

There are a bucket load of other options that will wobble yer skis . . . go get some lessons . . . from an instructor who looks like the way you want to ski.

Oh, PS: CEM will fit you with a cracking set of boots, tuned for yer phisog(sic) but they'll do nowt fer the porridge between yer ears. You need to learn and understand what the root of the problem is rather than think it's just an equipment failure.

There is no such thing as 'the perfect setup' . . . every last one of us has to adapt and overcome some of the many variables we encounter the moment we trip over the exit sill of the bootroom.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cazzro, before you do ANYTHING consider the following

1 where do you live? I can probably suggest a boot fitter near you
2 don't do the buying on line thing to save a few £ it will cost you more in the long run, luckily you can send these head boots back or the money you had spent on them would have been more wasted cash
3 if you are not going ski touring don't buy a ski touring boot, you compromise fit and performance, sure they are a lot better than they were BUT there are limited models so limited fits
4 BOOK A SKI LESSON a private one preferably, strip your skiing back to ground zero and build it again with guidance
5 learn to listen, lots of people in here have given you some great advice, so far all i can see is you looking at ways to avoid taking it

skiing is not a cheap sport, if you fall into the everything is in normal range then it doesn't have to be expensive, but as soon as something is out of the norm you have top be able to adapt to that sometimes that means spending more money, sometimes that means changing kit or taking lessons, at the bottom of the 1st page you said
Quote:
Sorry loads of questions, skiing noob here
questions are good, but listen to the answers

when it comes to boots they aren't cheap, but they don't get replaced every season unless you are in them full time, we aren't the cheapest place to buy either, i prefer to think good value Toofy Grin the boots are all the same price as the chain stores, you just pay a little for the service but remember those head boots in this, and the current pair which don't seem to match your physiology, already you have spent money in "cheaper places" or buying last seasons to get a bargain and look where you have got to.

as many have said , you have to start at the beginning and be realistic about both budget and expectations
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cazzro wrote:
@under a new name, Chill out mate i know my technique needs improving but if my boots are uncomfortable it doesn't help.

@Old Fartbag, So you think i should take my 120s to the boot guy to see what he says? You ski on 110 but i presume your quite good haha

You are getting tons of good advice here, some from top pros - relax! What you need to accept is that you are not in a position to judge of what is the correct equipment for you. Go to a reputable bootfitter first, get some lessons second. Your internet research should prioritise around “the best bootfitter near me”.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am listening to peoples advice, posting here has been very helpful. I live in the South of Surrey. Maps is saying 95 miles to you so actually not awful but would have to make a whole day out of it. I will try find the name of my brothers guy to see if you know him but i'm definitely open to suggestions if you know someone really good here in the South. Not sure why everyone thinks i'm ignoring them i've booked myself a lesson and realised the boots i've purchased are no good, just don't really fancy getting a locker (just dont think its needed if i have comfortable boots). Your right the comments here have been great. I know that the main thing holding me back is my technique and that lessons and more time skiing is the main fix. Slightly worried I may not be able to afford these boots in the end. What did you mean by the everything is normal range? Are you talking about people with funky shaped feet/normal feet? If i cant afford these boots what is the best plan of action? Just renting boots? When i go to Hemel Hampstead I will ask advice from the instructor I was also thinking maybe its worth to go into the Snow + Rock? Maybe try some boots on/ see what they have to say. Whats your opinion on those guys? Whilst i know skiing is an expensive sport I may have underestimated a little bit. May have to wait til i'm no longer a student to get proper boots. Again please don't think i'm ignoring you/anyone else as i'm all ears and want to learn/improve.
Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mooney058, The internet says either Profeet in Fulham or @CEM, I am relaxed, i've just come to ask for help feel like some people are annoyed at me/think i'm an idiot. Honestly just want tips to get better but also to be able to ski more comfortably.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Masque, Leg wobble= ski wobble. Your right it could just be tired legs. I will see how i do at Hemel will have a fresh pair of legs for that so will see how it goes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cazzro wrote:
Maps is saying 95 miles to you so actually not awful but would have to make a whole day out of it.

Perfect. And yes, plan in a whole day – a good boot fit will take at least three hours (my last one was six hours, but the shop was quiet, nobody was in a rush and we had a lunch break in the middle). The extra few miles to get there is insignificant in the end.

Quote:
just don't really fancy getting a locker (just dont think its needed if i have comfortable boots).

You fit boots to ski in, not to walk in. Walking shouldn't be agony, but it also shouldn't be your priority.

Quote:
I was also thinking maybe its worth to go into the Snow + Rock? Maybe try some boots on/ see what they have to say.

Only go to a shop with a recommended fitter. if no-one is recommending the shop, put your wallet away and steer clear.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just jumping in here to express my thoughts on the QST boots. At the moment I ski with a pair of QST Pro 120. I don't do any ski touring, but went with these because I have hallux rigidus (basically bad arthritis in one of my big toes) this means that the joint between the toe and the foot is rigid and does not bend at all. The upshot of this is that whilst I can fit my foot in a boot I just cannot get my foot back out without extreme pain unless I have a helper to force the boot open! I've found that putting the boot in walk mode and pulling means I can just get the boot off with less pain. A few observations;

I never use the walk mode for walking, once the boots are on they are on for skiing.
This is a three buckle design, I rely on the power strap to fully fix the boot - this does need tightening throughout the day!

I've just had surgery to replace the problem joint ( it was due in March, but the pandemic put a stop to that) I have a number of ski trips planned for this season, the first is pre xmas! I plan on using the QST boot for at least the start of the season and then see how I go. Ultimately my plan is to get into a piste boot.

So after that ramble what I'm saying is don't chose a ski boot based on its non skiing ability (walk mode). In fact don't choose a boot at all - go to a boot fitter, be honest about your ability, your aspirations and keep an open mind. Plus have lessons in resort. Instructors will be able to see how you ski and will show/explain how to improve.

At your stage whilst I would fully endorse having your own correctly fitted boots I would strongly suggest that you rent skis - pay for the better skis and try lots until you find ones that suit you, then and only then consider buying. Trust me it makes a big difference.

Good luck
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cazzro wrote:
Ok thanks, may i ask why the touring boot is a compromise?

CEM has covered this.

Cazzro wrote:
I looked at @CEM, website all looks very professional but its a long way to go for me.

CEM will advise you if someone worth seeing is closer but if not I don't think you'd regret making the effort.

Cazzro wrote:
I know i could get a locker ect but none of my mates/my brothers mates or anyone I know whos been skiing seems to really struggle with the walk home.

You mean they didn't tell you they struggled Happy Seriously, I don't know how far we are talking but boots are inherently tiring to walk long distances. If it's up to 500 metres it shouldn't be an issue though I would say. A lot of people unbuckle them but actually it's easier to walk with them done up IMO. Anyhow getting the right boots will help.

Cazzro wrote:
This has happened to me when i've rented boots and when i purchased my own. That was why i wanted the so called 'feels like wearing slippers' boots as I haven't really got on with any boot i've used.

Then it's worth spending the time and money to purchase something that does feel good. Maybe not like slippers but I can wear my boots all day and walk a couple of hundred metres without any issues.

Cazzro wrote:
When i go skiing i want to make the most of each day, i know someone earlier said it wasn't the best idea but if you have 5 days that year to ski, then you want to be out all day. If you have a lie in / go home early feels like a waste of your time and money aha.

No issue with that. Getting the right boots, well fitted will help.

Cazzro wrote:
I should really be going to the gym to strengthen up my legs before going but the idea of going to a public gym atm freaks me out a bit so i've cancelled my membership.

Not a gym person myself. I rely on a bit of cycling, swimming, hiking and other sports to maintain fitness. I don't do anything specific for skiing. But I don't party too much when out skiing and I do ease off the gas a little if fitness starts to tell.

Cazzro wrote:
On a side note fully custom boots from CEM or similar would cost me how much?

For me season 2019/20 it was £470. Boots should last 20 weeks so that's £23.50 per week of skiing.

Cazzro wrote:
Can you choose different price ranges?

Be honest about your budget and I'm sure CEM will see what he can do but also bear in mind as above the cost per week versus what you are getting. And maybe you can save some money elsewhere - great boots versus a little less apres?

Cazzro wrote:
Would all the boots in store be current season?

Early Autumn is when the full range will be available. Later in the season options will become vastly reduced. So booking yourself in asap would be the way to go.

Cazzro wrote:
This is why i wanted to buy boots from last season then go get them fitted as currently i'm unable to spend 500 or whatever it is on new boots.

Nothing wrong with buying last seasons boot - if it's the right boot. But as CEM says buying on price for boots is not a great idea. Budget elsewhere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Yorksboy, Thanks man, glad you got your problem joint sorted! Maybe i jumped into buying my own stuff a bit too quick. Had some pretty poo-poo skis when renting, as you say very important to pay for the top end rental ones. Maybe ill go back to renting. At some point in my life i would like to do some ski touring and do some really fun off-piste free ride stuff but feel as though im a long way from that aha. Last time i went I had a lesson which went pretty well. One of my main issues was my body turning side to side and not facing down the mountain. I had that lesson on day 4 or 5 of the holiday so am looking forward to my lesson at HH when i will be totally fresh.

Thanks for the advice and have fun on your trips! (little bit jealous!!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, Haha the walk back was probably only 100m if that, my brother sometimes would take my skis for me. Maybe just sent it too hard that holiday that 100m was horrible. I like a beer or 2 to end the day but not massively keen on apres, again goes back to this thing that if i stay out late going to a bar/club i'm just wasting precious time the next morning. Ive been cycling a fair bit recently so i'm hoping next time i go my legs hold out a bit better. A lot of boots sell out later in the season? I've just applied for an MA so may be totally skint. One of the courses is far cheaper than the other if i end up doing that one i will have money for ski gear. In my head i wasn't going to spend more than 300/350 on boots but starting to feel like that's not enough.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cazzro wrote:
A lot of boots sell out later in the season?

Yep. Of course what's left may be discounted.

Cazzro wrote:
I've just applied for an MA so may be totally skint. One of the courses is far cheaper than the other if i end up doing that one i will have money for ski gear. In my head i wasn't going to spend more than 300/350 on boots but starting to feel like that's not enough.

I understand the budget issues but honestly I would stretch to it if you can - I would be surprised if you regretted it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cazzro wrote:
@Layne, Haha the walk back was probably only 100m if that, my brother sometimes would take my skis for me. Maybe just sent it too hard that holiday that 100m was horrible.

Appologies if this has already been posted and I've missed it but just checking - if you find it hard to walk in your ski boots I take it someone HAS told you to at least flip up the 2 leg buckels/release the power strap, or even go so far as completely unclip the leg buckles? Just flipping the buckles up gives a significant increase in the foot/legs movement inside the boot, giving you a much more natural gate - but one of the long list of things nobody actually tells you when you're first learning! Also on that list is the fact you should be able to flip the toe buckles open/closed with one finger - any tighter only adds pain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cazzro,

As others have said going to a proper boot fitter is best but you could try a shell check yourself beforehand (not instead of).

http://youtube.com/v/WZx4GYLS5FE&t=43s

To get ski fit you don't need a gym and balance is more critical than strength. The leg muscles are also used differently in skiing than during typically gym weights exercises.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3515582

Your core strength is also very important. An unstable upper body could have you wobbling all over the place. Have a look in the fitness section of snowheads for core workouts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mjit, With one finger? Didn't know that, i know they are much easier than the top ones but i've definitely had them tighter than 1 finger to release. Yh undoing the boots did help. Problem was last place i went we would get to the bottom of the mountain walk 100m then ski through a field to the chalet door so undoing wasn't an option. The time before i did though.

@DB, Thanks man! That is a handy video maybe i can fit my own boots Laughing only joking! (CEM dont tell me off lol)
Core is important, but hate pushing myself to do core as it always makes me feel sick haha
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
Cazzro wrote:
@Layne, Haha the walk back was probably only 100m if that, my brother sometimes would take my skis for me. Maybe just sent it too hard that holiday that 100m was horrible.

Appologies if this has already been posted and I've missed it but just checking - if you find it hard to walk in your ski boots I take it someone HAS told you to at least flip up the 2 leg buckels/release the power strap, or even go so far as completely unclip the leg buckles? Just flipping the buckles up gives a significant increase in the foot/legs movement inside the boot, giving you a much more natural gate - but one of the long list of things nobody actually tells you when you're first learning! Also on that list is the fact you should be able to flip the toe buckles open/closed with one finger - any tighter only adds pain.

if your boots fit you correctly then you should have no need to do this, having the shaft of the boot enclosing your leg makes it far easier to walk and prevents your foot sliding around in the boot which can damage toe nails.... if your boot are however too big in length or volume then they will be moving anyway so unclipping them may well make it easier to walk Shocked

@Cazzro have you done a shell check on your boots? take the liner out, place your foot into the empty shell and move forward until your toes are JUST touching the front, have a look behind your heel and see how much space there is between the heel of your foot and the back of the shell of the boot

less than 10mm race (only some athletes tolerate this)
10-15mm high performance,
15-20mm leisure performance
20-25mm fluffy bucket
more than 25mm you and your boot fitter really need to have a chat or a really good reason!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy