Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2020-21

Poster: A snowHead
@holidayloverxx, yesterday was the best ski day I ever had at Flachau, perfect pistes no queues, a once in a lifetime experience. Your name was mentioned more than a few times Sad

We rode the lift up with a couple of local hoteliers who said in their whole time of living here, over 60 years, this was the first time they had been able to ski midweek in Flachau in January, and although times are hard for them financially, they were absolutely going to make the most of it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kooky, excellent...except for me not being there!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, I know, you and the crew are sorely missed, we shall liase and make next season even better xx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kooky, indeed we shall xx
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haus today. 7C by 11:00 and empty pistes with super grippy hero snow.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@waynos, in the middle photo you can see the new roast chicken hut. Wd thought it might trigger memories of your favourite erection.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great erection.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meant to post that I was at Riesneralm on Saturday. While the weather was pretty good (Bergfex seemed to predict 30km/hr winds which didn't appear), the snow wasn't great. Grainy, icy and generally pretty bumpy. Also quite slushy towards the bottom of the mountain due to warm temperatures. The day was quite hard work and the young fella had had enough by mid-afternoon. Still, it was much better than sitting at home.

I posted elsewhere that crowds were busier than a couple of weeks ago, but for school holiday period, it was not particularly crowded.

COVID related lift control was pretty casual. Most people wearing FFP2 masks, some weren't and nobody really did anything about it. The takeaway service (hot drinks, chips etc) at the bottom of the mountain was busy at lunch time, with a good 20 or 30 people hanging around, mostly mask free, waiting for their orders.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@phillc, nice work Cool

Into February, and only 3 pages long.........must be some kind of ( unwanted ) record Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Team,

I have a client looking for a season rental for 21-22 Season. Dutch family with two young children from Dec 21-Apr 22. Apartment or small chalet, doesn't have to be on the slopes but must be within 75 Mins of Salzburg Airport to facilitate commute. Decent budget. I can't supply as we're already booked for next year. If you know of any potential solutions please PM me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I got ski-amade season passes for the family back in Dec to secure a discount on the optimistic hope I could use them in the spring. Realising there's no hope of escaping the UK before mid-May, I requested a refund yesterday, very impressed with ski-amade, I simply sent an email to request a refund and was sorted within 5 minutes. Set my sights on some (any!) late spring / early summer ski touring now which I can combine with some mtb-ing. Dreaming....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Certainly in Radstadt and Altenmarkt, the lifts stop spinning after today Sad So, you will have to walk up @waynos,

https://www.radstadt-altenmarkt.at/radstadt-aktuell/news
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf wrote:
Certainly in Radstadt and Altenmarkt, the lifts stop spinning after today Sad So, you will have to walk up @waynos,

https://www.radstadt-altenmarkt.at/radstadt-aktuell/news

Yes from tomorrow negative corona tests are required when travelling to/from Radstadt & Bad Hogastein.
https://www.sn.at/salzburg/chronik/hofgastein-und-radstadt-corona-hotspots-pendeln-zwischen-frust-und-gelassenheit-100575811
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@waynos, Great result.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, not helped by a Pongau doctor having a positive test then going to work the next day and treating patients. Arrested and in jail.

Anyone know where?
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@DB, not helped by a Pongau doctor having a positive test then going to work the next day and treating patients. Arrested and in jail.

Just read up on that, unbelievable. The doctor knew he had corona and treated patients, and that without a mask too.
The police caught him and charged him but didn't detain him. The doctor turned up for work again the next day so he was jailed.

https://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/verhaftet-infizierter-arzt-behandelte-im-hotspot-bezirk-pongau/401207053
latest report
waynos wrote:
So I got ski-amade season passes for the family back in Dec to secure a discount on the optimistic hope I could use them in the spring. Realising there's no hope of escaping the UK before mid-May, I requested a refund yesterday, very impressed with ski-amade, I simply sent an email to request a refund and was sorted within 5 minutes. Set my sights on some (any!) late spring / early summer ski touring now which I can combine with some mtb-ing. Dreaming....

Zauchensee are promising to keep lifts open until end March, there is still some nice off piste if you tour for it, also Obertauern is hoping to stay open as usual till May 1st there's some good touring possibilities up there too if you start very early.
I woke up to a light dusting of snow here this morning, but IMHO, you do better to wait and have a good MTB season. If its any consolation at all, this has probably been one of the poorest seasons for off piste, I think we've only had about 10 days of pow here in Pongau, absolutely not complaining I know we have been so lucky to ski at all but hope you don't feel too gutted to have missed the season. If you had to skip a year, this was the one.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Just read up on that, unbelievable. The doctor knew he had corona and treated patients, and that without a mask too.
The police caught him and charged him but didn't detain him. The doctor turned up for work again the next day so he was jailed.

https://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/verhaftet-infizierter-arzt-behandelte-im-hotspot-bezirk-pongau/401207053

Shocked
In the UK the General Medical Council (GMC) would probably investigate such a case and if it thought appropriate could strike the doctor from the medical register, thus preventing them from working as a GP in future. I presume there is an Austrian equivalent to the GMC?
latest report
@Alastair Pink,
I don't know who the governing body is but yes doctors get struck off here in Austria too.
snow conditions
Kooky wrote:
If its any consolation at all, this has probably been one of the poorest seasons for off piste, I think we've only had about 10 days of pow here in Pongau, absolutely not complaining I know we have been so lucky to ski at all but hope you don't feel too gutted to have missed the season. If you had to skip a year, this was the one.

Yep, even without corona this wouldn't have been a season to remember (for good snow conditions). I'm optinistic the ski trips that were put off this year will have beter snow conditions when they actually happen.
Looking forward to the mountain biking season now.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 5-03-21 9:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Kooky, I've not been too gutted, kept head down working not dwelling too much on what we can't do right now. Like you say doesn't look like a vintage powder season, though of course March can still deliver the goods.

Right so that Austrian GP, is he now a super-spreader whilst doing porridge?

I was reading news this week about consultant, that operated on my knee some years back, was just struck off for covering up the fact he put the wrong knee prosthesis in a patient! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56245888
snow report
My Mrs had a knee opp a few years ago. As she was being anaesthetised the surgeon started drawing on the wrong knee. She managed to gargle a complaint in time. She woke up with a massive cross and the words 'Not This Knee' in marker pen written on the other leg.
ski holidays
Sorry guys 'n gals. Zauch is still bloody good. Another 40cm on the way over the next week.

snow report
I know this thread is for last season but it's past history I am hoping to tap into.....thinking of visiting Flachau in the week of 8th Jan 2022, during which the world cup slalom will be happening. From past experience of those based locally does it impact the skiing much in the run up to the race? Is the whole world cup piste closed for a few days or just part of it? I take it the lift can be accessed as normal? I know there is plenty more skiing and it might be a nice event to attend if there is plenty still to access, but one of the properties we were considering is very near to the slope so wondered if access to the piste might be impeded. Was in Saalbach for Mountain Attack in 2020 and really enjoyed the buzz around the town.
snow report
@toyah807, it doesn't really impact the skiing but the world Cup piste closes a few days before. The lift can be accessed as normal. Its a great night, buy your ticket at the kassa in advance for a small discount.

Normally there is a charity race the night before and the bib draw and on the night itself there is entertainment.

Go dressed in ski gear and with warm snow boots, hand and toe warmers...it get v cold. You stand on the side of the piste. You can get beer and sausages at a a couple of places piste side

Going up and down you have to haul yourself up/hold on using ropes as it's quite steep. They cut steps into the viewing area to make it a bit easier.

Afterwards the bars are....usually...banging.

Alternatively you can just take in the entertainment and watch it on the big screen in the arena or in a bar

I'll be there at my place, probably a few others as well so get in touch in you like.
snow report
@toyah807, the piste down as far as the bottom of Starjet2 remains open, and then is closed for the length of Starjet1 though the lift remains in operation. You won't be sharing a cabin with any of the stars though, as they have a priority lane and security. If your accommodation is usually ski-in from the bottom of Starjet1, that becomes a real pain as you'd have to descend to the bottom of Achterjet and get the bus back. But you may be able to watch from your balcony if you are lucky though I'd expect to see a significant price hike for those places.

If you want to watch the race, buy a grandstand seat. Apart from being marginally warmer than standing still on ice for 4 hours with feet that lost all feeling after 30 minutes, it's a lot less effort to get there, and you can also exit to a (must be pre-booked) table in a restaurant between runs, and you have access to toilets, bars and food stalls. You also get a view of most of the course, rather than a 2-second glimpse as someone shoots past at high speed.
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, I wouldn't fork out the price of a grandstand ticket (note entry to the grandstand for the charity race is free) . The fun is piste side near the finish line . We usually exit between runs and go back to the arena for the entertainment, although last time we watched the first run in a bar then went piste side for the 2nd run.

Never had a problem accessing the toilets in the piste side restaurants. Even got a (not toilet) seat occasionally.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, @ousekjarr, all really helpful, thanks. One last question I think....at what point does the lower part of the piste close? In the days leading to the race for prep or just race day?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@toyah807, a couple or a few days before. They have to prep the course and build the gransdtand and it has the charity race on it the night before, from memory I think it closes on the sunday, the race is on the tuesday
snow report
It's been closed from the Saturday in my experience. Also, if you are tempted to ski it once it opens either late on Wednesday or on Thursday morning, take my advice and don't - with the water injection it can still be sheet ice in places for a day or two afterwards until a few freeze/thaw cycles have made it a little less challenging. If you really have to do it, take it easy and make sure you have the edges and skills to cope with an icy black piste or you'll be sledging down it with your kit passing you on the way.

Zauchensee also has the downhill and SuperG ladies training and races on 13-16 Jan, so the world cup course will be closed there from about the Tuesday to at least the end of Monday. As that's the best run in the valley it's a bit of a pain, so it is worth a trek out earlier to ski it if you can.
latest report
We'll be there too this year. First time for a few seasons and if it all goes to Rats, we'll watch from the balcony. Shall I start a 21-22 thread?

Update: All done. Please switch to the Ski Amadé 2021-22 Thread for new stuff!!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4834706#4834706
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I have seen the new thread and will be following with interest, the area looks glorious but just wanted to thank you, @ousekjarr, @holidayloverxx, for the further info above and it would have looked odd on the other one. Definitely leaving this one now......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy