Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Snowfactor in braehead still in business?

Poster: A snowHead
Slope has confirmed it is reopening on Thursday. Initially only recreational skiing/boarding and only open 5 days a week (not Tuesday and Wednesday) so no lessons. Advance booking only and they are going to start charging for kit.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowfactor reopened today. Fairly quiet unless you are Santa.
Due to open S,M,Th,F,S this week then every day apart from 25th over the festive period.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone any info on it opening?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unlikely to open before the autumn for a variety of reasons not least Covid, but will definitely reopen.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ski lots, I'm one of the 5/5 doing BASI 1 at the end of Sept. Are you there for your DSUK?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GlasgowCyclops, I’m booked in for the Adaptive course (again), which is the middle of October.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep 3rd time lucky for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ski lots, Just had my BASI for October cancelled (#4) and I can't keep taking weeks off for the course to be cancelled.

Unless BASI get real and start a fri-sun + sat- sun for their courses I imagine people will just get fed up and not bother.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heard they have lost a second tier tax tribunal appeal against being found guilty of £450,000 of VAT evasion. There will be costs and fines on top of that. Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@haggishunter, is that them applying a reduced VAT rate for a ski lift pass vs access to the slope at normal rate?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
@haggishunter, is that them applying a reduced VAT rate for a ski lift pass vs access to the slope at normal rate?

No, considerably more complicated than that one. HMRC lost the final tier of appeal with respect to the 5% reduced rate of VAT applying to indoor ski tows.

To summarise they created a non profit distributing limited by guarantee company called Snow Factor Training Limited and funnelled income through it claiming sales were exempt from scope of vat as it was for training. Staff were given contracts which implied staff were employed by both companies when all operations were carried out by the principle company not the training company.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@haggishunter, perhaps they should just focus on running an indoor ski slope and not VAT avoidance schemes? Might be a better use of their time, and hopefully, of their expertise.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowfactor have announced they will finally be reopening on Thursday 18 November. Will only be opening 5 days a week. New website is also imminent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ski lots, Yep just saw it on twitter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it the existing operators or have they gone "phut" after the VAT issue and phoenixed?

Regardless, I will be along their like a rat up a drainpipe once it reopens !!
ski holidays
@GreenDay, some administrative changes, but still the same owners and management. Just to note, as previously announced, equipment hire will be charged for those not bringing their own. Opening is Thursday until Monday, with earlier closing than in the past on some days.
latest report
@Ski lots, Thurs-Mon is great. If only BASI would do courses sat+Sun and Sat+Sun+Mon or at worst Thurs-Mon meaning only 3 days off work (if they cancel again, I'm on cancellation number 4)
snow report
bringing your own kit is fine as their skis were total garbage anyway but i do hate using "my" skis on the sand / sugar that they have, it sucks the life out of the bases in one run!
latest report
enduroaid wrote:
bringing your own kit is fine as their skis were total garbage anyway but i do hate using "my" skis on the sand / sugar that they have, it sucks the life out of the bases in one run!

Ellis Brigham do test skis.....
snow conditions
Snowfactor has now relaunched its website - www.Snowfactor.com and is reopening on 18 November Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Ski lots wrote:
Snowfactor has now relaunched its website - www.Snowfactor.com and is reopening on 18 November Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great, cheers - wont make it on the first week, but will be along for a ski legs refresh !
snow report
Snow Factor has entered administration as of 22nd October

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05138159

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05138159/insolvency
ski holidays
@skison, irrespective of the ownership/administration issues, the slope is re-opening on Thursday.

I was there yesterday for a pre-opening event. The snow was in the best condition I have ever seen it there.
latest report
@Ski lots, I may be there just after 4 on Monday. You around?
snow report
Ski lots wrote:
@skison, irrespective of the ownership/administration issues, the slope is re-opening on Thursday.

I was there yesterday for a pre-opening event. The snow was in the best condition I have ever seen it there.

But you might want to be cautious about buying a membership or any advance payment in expectation of future sessions, as you may find yourself an unsecured creditor should the administration progress to something worse.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, I won't be in on Monday, but all day on Saturday.

@ster, not an issue for me personally, but it is my understanding that there will be no membership scheme going forward, although previously unexpired membership (before lockdown/closure) will be honoured.
ski holidays
@Ski lots, Im up north on sat, I'll catch up another day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy