Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 2: doable?

Poster: A snowHead
The standard at L1 might not appear to be very high, but in order to pass you need to be technically accurate in your skills. Your movement patterns, timing, rate and range of those movements, ability to vary the blend of how you steer your skis, all with an absence of obvious bad habits, will need to be at the level required to pass the course. As holiday skiers we don't have to develop that level of accuracy in order to have a fun time, which is why @davidof is absolutely correct to observe that people who have been skiing a long time, especially if they've not had much technical instruction, might have trouble ensuring their skiing is adaptable and accurate enough.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, all BASI L1 courses I've seen have been over a week. Inside out have done specfic BASI training over weekends from memory....

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/snowheads/index.html

That's my experience looking around, surprised it's not something that happens, without looking in to too much detail, i'd be inclined to look in to doing IASI instead purely on the basis that it's possible to do so without using up annual leave.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^^^This. I can ski reasonably well for a punter, but totally fail when asked to do a BASI style snowplough turn. Seem to have completely skipped that! I once had a very interesting discussion with a BASI trainer about my complete inability to ski using rotational skills and not edges snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JamesHJ wrote:
^^^This. I can ski reasonably well for a punter, but totally fail when asked to do a BASI style snowplough turn. Seem to have completely skipped that! I once had a very interesting discussion with a BASI trainer about my complete inability to ski using rotational skills and not edges snowHead snowHead snowHead
That's a frequent issue when candidates have a race background. I always see the July L1 course at Hemel, which often has kids who train with one of the local ski race clubs; they've completed their school exams and look to crack through the L1 before the summer holidays get in to full swing. Often very good skiers, but unable to get off their edges as that contradicts everything they work in in their race club training. They do well on longs and shorts, but ugly as hell on their Central Theme (progression that beginners use from Day 1 through to skinny parallel turns).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh and you are going about it the right way, doing your research and getting some training in. From memory the Inside Out Day I did with Rob included all the snow plough stuff so it was a really good day to get a feel for everything.

The other positive point is that you can go into L2 having passed L1 and not be up to standard. You are getting top notch instruction with the aim of getting you through the course.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JamesHJ wrote:

Not an issue if you were taught Old School - and that was all you had, for years!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-11-20 21:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking forward to giving you a good run in Smile

Good choice with BASS and their flexi programme, Andy Jerram or Lesley Page would most likely be taking that course and both are very good trainers... Be an idea to find out who will be taking the sessions and I can forward your video to either AJ or Lesley both of who I know well..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boobleblooble, sounds like a spot on plan, enjoy the journey!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boobleblooble, similar to my plan although I will follow the IASI route.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 15-05-21 20:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both look really good to me. It's a lot of coaching and the more the better but obviously, those gap courses are quite expensive, especially in Switerzland. As said before, if you have a good level of skiing already do the L1 here in the UK. I've done the IASI L1 recently and although you need to be able to adjust fairly quickly there is a lot of coaching from the trainers, I really enjoyed the course and learned loads. Having the L1 done, with one week of focused coaching in the mountains, I believe you can go for the L2 and skip a full gap course program, you will have to sort all the extras such as first aid, shadowing and etc but by yourself but if budget matters for you, your pocket will be way happier. That's my plan if things go ahead this winter. Unfortunately, it's looking increasingly less likely that traveling will be viable but... fingers crossed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gustavobs wrote:
Having the L1 done, with one week of focused coaching in the mountains, I believe you can go for the L2 and skip a full gap course program, you will have to sort all the extras such as first aid, shadowing and etc but by yourself but if budget matters for you, your pocket will be way happier.
This is an important point. It seems to me that there is a perception held by some people when they are thinking about starting instructor qualifications that the "gap course" is the only way to do it, with a multi-week training course an essential element of doing the qualification. This is not the case. You can simply book the instructor courses when you meet the requirements (no requirements for L1, some requirements for L2). It's what I did when I started, booking the L1 in the December, the L2 the following February and starting on the L3 modules at the end of that winter.

That said, if you are not confident that your skiing at the level, the gap courses are normally good value for money. You get a lot of coaching in a very supportive environment, in a short period of time. But it's not the only way to do instructor exams.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:
Having the L1 done, with one week of focused coaching in the mountains, I believe you can go for the L2 and skip a full gap course program, you will have to sort all the extras such as first aid, shadowing and etc but by yourself but if budget matters for you, your pocket will be way happier.
This is an important point. It seems to me that there is a perception held by some people when they are thinking about starting instructor qualifications that the "gap course" is the only way to do it, with a multi-week training course an essential element of doing the qualification. This is not the case. You can simply book the instructor courses when you meet the requirements (no requirements for L1, some requirements for L2). It's what I did when I started, booking the L1 in the December, the L2 the following February and starting on the L3 modules at the end of that winter.

That said, if you are not confident that your skiing at the level, the gap courses are normally good value for money. You get a lot of coaching in a very supportive environment, in a short period of time. But it's not the only way to do instructor exams.

This is a similar route to what i'm planning myself.

L1 IASI booked at Hemel in November, and the L2 depends on what happens with Covid. Due to go to Canada in Feb, but if that doesn't happen, planning on trying to do the L2 in March instead. Getting the shadowing hours in is where i'll struggle, working full time, leaving only weekends, and i'll need to fit in a first aid course over a weekend as well.

Was planning on seeing if I can do my shadow hours at a snowdome, but they're all 2.5 hours away, which means I couldn't get them in during the weekday evenings.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, Dryslope? My daughter did her L1 shadowing at one nearby. Took most of the winter as it was GCSE year.
latest report
IASI have just announced that you'll be able to do part of L2 (looks like demonstrating the core skier development skills and some teaching) via a 2-day course at a snowdome. This will count as a credit towards the complete L2 which will still need to be done in the mountains.

Seems like a really great idea given the current circumstances and one which I'll be very interested in taking up.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
But it's not the only way to do instructor exams.

I would echo that and suggest those thinking of embarking on the Instructor pathway also look at the Snowsport England (Scotland or Wales) coaching schemes, perhaps doing as I did, both SSE and BASI\IASI in parallel.

As a starting point, the SSE Level 1 training weekend offers a low cost way of getting some initial training and should give access to a mentor coach and shadowing opportunities through the slope running the course. In addition, there are some differences between the schemes which are beneficial if you plan to work through the systems, and the SSE work book and resource packs are excellent.

https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/ukss-ski/
ski holidays
@Claude B, that's an option i'm going to explore as well, have a couple local to me I could try, especially for some evening hours mid week.

@narbs, I've just seen that on Facebook, sounds great, so hopefully I'll be able to get part way towards L2 this season, and perhaps finish off during the summer/autumn.
ski holidays

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 15-05-21 20:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Gustavobs, Do you know if the 70 hours required for L2 include the 20 for L1, or is it an additional 70, making up 90 hours in total for L1 and 2?
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@Gustavobs, Do you know if the 70 hours required for L2 include the 20 for L1, or is it an additional 70, making up 90 hours in total for L1 and 2?
70 hours in total before you do the L2 course, I believe.
ski holidays
Yes 70 hours total before you can start your l2.
latest report
@swskier, I thought l1 was 35 hours after the exam to get your certificate? Then you need to do another 35 before your l2 and proof submitted a week before the l2 starts.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, I thought l1 was 35 hours after the exam to get your certificate? Then you need to do another 35 before your l2 and proof submitted a week before the l2 starts.
20 hours for IASI L1. 70 hours (in total) for L2.
snow report
@rob@rar, brill thanks, I could have waited for my L1 course next month to check, but good to know.

@kitenski, as @rob@rar says, IASI is what i'm doing, confusing given the title of this topic, but I knew Gustavobs had said he's also doing IASI.
snow conditions
@swskier, good luck, enjoy if you can!
ski holidays
@swskier, good luck. I have found the trainers very supportive. Is your exam with Ski Definition?

You can start reading the manual and understanding the IASI progression. Your knowledge will be tested throughout the course =)
snow report
@Gustavobs, yes, Ski Definition.

I've made a start on the materials, will keep going over it between now and mid November.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, good, they are great
ski holidays
Gustavobs wrote:
@swskier, good, they are great

+1
ski holidays
@boobleblooble, were you able to sit your Nov IASI exam? If so how did it go?
snow report
Hours requirement for BASI has been changed for this season only, no need to do all the shadowing to take the L2 but you have to complete to pass.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

This is a similar route to what i'm planning myself.

L1 IASI booked at Hemel in November, and the L2 depends on what happens with Covid. Due to go to Canada in Feb, but if that doesn't happen, planning on trying to do the L2 in March instead. Getting the shadowing hours in is where i'll struggle, working full time, leaving only weekends, and i'll need to fit in a first aid course over a weekend as well.

Was planning on seeing if I can do my shadow hours at a snowdome, but they're all 2.5 hours away, which means I couldn't get them in during the weekday evenings.

If you have any questions regarding the SSE pathway / L1, please feel free to drop me a line as I am a Tutor for SSE.
latest report
Was anyone able to get any quals done so far?
My November course was cancelled. Planning on doing my L1 at easter now assuming we can't go abroad and everything is open in the UK for it. Followed by L2 in either June, November or December.
snow conditions
One of my mates who is an IASI examiner was just going out to Baqueria to run a course so they are doing some stuff over there.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
One of my mates who is an IASI examiner was just going out to Baqueria to run a course so they are doing some stuff over there.

I see that's a level 1 assessment if Facebook is a guide.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Have seen a video on ski definition's socials recently, possibly the same person?

It's ski definition I was booked in with last November and will use them in April assuming it's possible.

They're planning on running a hintertux L2 course in June that I'll get on if things work out, if not I'm looking at subzero at the back end of the year in Zermatt or Alpine coaching out in Hintertux have dates planned for December.

Whatever happens, I'm desperate to get going with some qualifications.
snow report
@swskier, Fingers crossed for you. I would think that IASI will be super keen to run exams as there will be so little normal ski school work around. Fede (who runs Subzero) and Ali skidefinition and Pete at Alpine coaching are all excellent trainers and I am sure would be itching to run courses

Could you get over to Spain to do your L1?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@swskier, Fingers crossed for you. I would think that IASI will be super keen to run exams as there will be so little normal ski school work around. Fede (who runs Subzero) and Ali skidefinition and Pete at Alpine coaching are all excellent trainers and I am sure would be itching to run courses

Could you get over to Spain to do your L1?

I could get there (presuming I'd be able to fly again before the end of the season!?), and can isolate on return, but I don't think morally i'd feel right to do so. It's not imperative for me to do the course/exams, I just really want to.

I'm happy to wait a few months if needs be, and Ali is planning on running a number of Hemel based courses between April and the end of the year, so i'm sure i'll be able to get on one soon enough.
snow report
@swskier, good plan to do at Hemel once it re opens
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy