Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel vs MK

Poster: A snowHead
Our ferry to France will be sailing without us tonight and the holiday budget is now being relocated to activities in the UK.

Is there a difference in policy between Hemel and MK fridges? In particular, face coverings while skiing and maximum bookings per session? Looking to fit in a trip to one or the other between family visits and would rather not find that one is full of people in masks, while the other is quiet.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure about MK, but at Hemel face masks are optional for guests. There are restrictions on the length of time you can book a ticket for, which helps them control their capacity on the slope as this is much lower than normal. As of next week I think the maximum length of time for a slope pass will be longer in the afternoons (up to three hours?), which I guess reflects that it is quieter at that time of day. Pre-booked passes are required, no walk-in bookings are being accepted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to Mk twice, once on a Saturday morning, once after work on a Tuesday, both sessions were fairly quiet. No lessons going on. Sledging is not taking place so both sides in full use. Face coverings are mandatory except in the restaurant, I just use my thinnest buff so easy to breathe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Similar to Rob, been to Hemel and no “need” for face masks. The facility is pretty quite compared to normal. Can’t comment on MK as it is an extra 40 mins travel.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masks at MK, and thankfully being enforced by staff on the slopes. Think the limit is 60 so plenty of room, especially as @stephap mentions they've removed the sledging area.

Still some people in lift queues unable to visualise even 1m+.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hemel: FYI

I was at there today, Sunday 23rd, for my 3-hour fix. First time back there.

It was so quiet, even being at the maximum they allow at their reduced capacity.

I think they said maximum 25 guests on the slope at some point - not sure if that's still right.

I did a rough headcount from time to time.

25 guests max seemed about right, allowing for the instructors/staff who were there.

Their routine looks pretty well thought out, provided people do what they're told.

Not much mask wearing on the slope, apart from a couple of the instructors.

Staff in masks? - nope.

Restaurant/cafe very quiet, with only table service, but otherwise operating normally.

On the plus side, the slope is very uncrowded compared to having 200 in there!

No real queuing for the drags either. Maybe 5 people max at any time; usually 1 or 2.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That sounds like a great afternoon out @Fat George
So were the conditions good?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditions were not bad for Hemel in the afternoon.
A bit sticky most places maybe?
It's the drool, I expect, from those keener skiers, y'know?
As someone else said, you can only get a 3hr ticket in the afternoons.
Otherwise I'd go mornings, 'cos it's usually a lot better snow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quiet at MK last Thursday lunchtime. The child had a 1-to-1 (refunded COVID-vexed group lessons) whilst I had a bit of a play.

Face masks mandatory for over-11s, but borrowed Lady Seagrave’s thinnest Buff and that did the job.

Full width of the slope (no sledging) was a treat.

Group lessons restarting in October, appaz.

LS
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Re wearing buff as face coverings in fridge:

Natch, I use a snowHeads buff as a face-covering at Hemel.
As one should.
It defo complies and it flies the flag.

I like to wear two . . .
“On a cold day start with two b*ffs”.
That was one tip I think maybe I heard @k giving, on a v. cold day in Alleghe, for starting warm and keeping that way.

I’m fairly sure I heard buffs and alas option 1 wasn’t available anyway.

One buff goes simply around the neck.
Keeps the back of the neck warm and stops snow going down the gaps.
The other is worn higher up.
Held up at the back of the head, trapped by the back of the helmet, and down over the ears and chin.
It can be pulled up over the nose when needed or left that way.
The lower one can be adjusted to fill the gaps and keep the upper one in place.
This lessens the annoying tendency of the upper one to ride down in use, if worn solo.

Int’Alps I’ve often worn three SH buffs!
= as above, plus one pony-tailed on the back of the helmet @jjams82 style.
That way, people can identify a SH from way back.

- and sometimes four!
Yet another one round the arm.
If an appropriate vomit-inducing contrasting fluorescent colour.
The idea is it stands out well from the front so makes easier to spot inc. in videos.
Whether colour goes with my boots and/or pants is a matter of opinion and IMO irrelevant.

Never done five tho’. Yet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
at Hemel the new reduced capacity is around 75. I was teaching this week on a day when they were full and it was absolutely fine. Felt like 11 years ago when they first opened.

The Snowcentre (and Inside Out Skiing) are restarting our group clinics shortly and face coverings are required in group settings. They can be lowered to talk with 2M between all participants.. No need for coverings if you are free skiing or on a private lesson.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fat George,
Quote:
That was one tip I think maybe I heard @k giving, on a v. cold day in Alleghe, for starting warm and keeping that way.

Sounds like me! I have a slight thicker one around my neck which helps with anchorage and toastiness, and an appropriately coloured snow heads buff underneath which comes up over my face.

And I always have a dry one in my bag because I hate having to put a soggy one on after lunch.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, this morning at Hemel, maxed at capacity of 75. Appeared well managed by the Piste Staff, they seem more involved/focused than before covid. Busy compared to the 60 max of the opening week, but plenty of room and quite a few near solo runs down the slope. Watched some nice skiing, demo's and teaching from the in-house and external instructors . Skiing and snowboarding ability from the rest of the 'punters' has been higher than the norm, pre covid levels, and the Piste Staff managed those 'struggling' well. In house instructors on the whole seemed to be working well with face coverings and/or social distancing. Seen a few, largely external Instructors, that may need a lesson in teaching in a 'covid enviroment' .(Ps Inside out/ skimottaret wasn't there when I was so don't include them!). Coffee seems better than it used to be however I think they may need to re-think their approach to food in the restaurant.

ps not cold enough for serious buffs!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was there with the family 12-2pm today. All very relaxed. We wore masks while kitting up but not many others did. Nobody wore one on the slope but it wasn't difficult to stay 1+m apart.

It was the quietest that the kids had experienced, which was nice for them. The snow was quite grippy in places but it was the whitest I've seen, so my boots didn't get caked in grey crap.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bump??

Thought I’d check Hemel.

Yes: booking’s open for Wed 02 Dec.

Got myself 2hrs on the 10am slot.

Get it while it’s there Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thought I'd take a look at Hemel and maybe take the family at the start of the Christmas hols - but at nearly £150 for a family of four for just an hour slot, that's a bit steep unfortunately.
snow report
@Handy Turnip:

?

https://www.thesnowcentre.com/lift-passes/families

There's a '2 Adults + 2 Juniors' button.

£85.00 midweek for family of 4 for 1hr.
£115.00 midweek for family of 4 for 2hrs?

(Weekend: £115/1hr £135.00/2hrs)

And if you join as a member - snowHeads counts - there're discounts as well.

Unless some other charging somewhere . . . or it's not 2 juniors?

Regards,
FG

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-11-20 14:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Fat George, Thanks FG, completely missed that option. Not sure how! (i'll blame the layout of the website - not entirely true but will make me feel better) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yeah, blame away, I've done that myself on many occasions, it's not particularly great!
snow report
Just to add my own experience (also think this is my first post after a lot of lurking - hi!).

Been to both a few times in the past few months pre-second lockdown. Agree with the above comments. Hemel masks mandatory when not actually going down the hill, although personally just left it on the whole time. MK they're being a bit more strict about it, which was sort of funny because a friend I was with gets fogged up glasses with the mask on!

I would also point out for anyone worried about this sort of thing a few other notes:
- HH: Much better layout in the kitting up area for covid; separation of people getting ready vs people de-kitting/waiting around.
- MK: Less busy than HH
- HH: Better stuff / signage / policies imo - e.g. they have lockers in operation, with wipes and sanitizer etc next to them.
- MK: No lockers available which is a real pain if, like me, you travel there by public transport.
- MK: On the topic of public transport you can now use the electric scooters from the train station to get there which is pretty handy although they're quite expensive compared to using them in European cities.
- HH: Restaurant always nicer, better stock, although at the start of the first re-opening they had quite limited options, nothing on draft, but they soon sorted that and were running back to somewhat normal (with a website to order from etc too). Imagine a similar thing might occur this time around.

Also for people with kids, seems HH were doing that rubber ring sliding thing, also it's separate from any of the slopes so no slope area cut off for it etc.

Hope this helps at least someone, can't wait to get back!
latest report
@javindo, welcome to snowheads!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Bother, now the Adult Development Ski seems to have vanished - I liked it as cost similar to a lift pass and just had a few hints and tips which I found more fun than a couple of hours alone. Presumably because HH will be in tier 2 on reopening! <sulks>
ski holidays
Hemel opened again this morning 10:00.
About 25 were there.
Very nice it was too, with so few about.
It was even more quiet compared to usual when I left at 12:30 - maybe 15 punters.
Cafe open; Covid rules apply.
ski holidays
@Fat George, good to hear! Hoping to visit with the kids before Xmas.
snow conditions
Hoping to get a trip in for me before the new year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy