Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do skis REALLY need wax ?

Poster: A snowHead
ski wrote:
Quote:

@Scarlet, skiing in the rain should be made illegal.

@rob@rar, You are obviously spending too much time in a fridge!
Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may not notice the lack / wrong wax on the piste but I had a difficult task keeping up with the rest of the group on an almost flat run of 2 or 3 km.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yesterday I sharpened the edges, fixed the base with a ptex candle and waxed, feeling very proud of myself Laughing
Maybe I was not so consistent on the sharpening but the ptex and wax looks very good, let's see on the next time in snow if it is still skiable NehNeh
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Question: do brand new skis need waxing or do they come pre waxed from factory ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndreSilva wrote:
Question: do brand new skis need waxing or do they come pre waxed from factory ?

Yes they do, and yes, they do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AndreSilva wrote:

It's a question that divides opinion. Basically becomes they come with some a coating of some kind but some people think it's not up to scratch. Personally I've bought several new skis and have always used them out of the box. Other will say they need a clean and rewax. You pays your money and makes your choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roguevfr wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:

Yes they do, and yes, they do.

If they come pre waxed, why should I wax again Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Because it costs very little, and you'll know it's been done, and you don't know how they have been stored or whether someone's wiped them down with something they shouldn't have and and and....just because.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Because they may only have had a light coating of wax, and the wax is probably a generic all purpose wax which may not last very long. Whether this matters is, as @Layne, says, a personal choice. You can spend a lot of time, effort and money waxing new skis, and it may improve their performance and lifespan. You may or may not notice the difference.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think I would bother paying to wax brand new skis, I'd just keep an eye on them and maybe not expect the wax to last as long as normal. However, if I had to had a block of decent wax, an iron and the required skills to hand, I would (and have) do it myself.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As about to service our skis for our trip at start of Feb a question.I normally wax both sets of skis, then immediately go to scraping the first ski I waxed. Any consensus on is this too soon? Just bought some all temp French wax from Decathelon, and on package it says leave 2 hours befor scraping. Mine get 1/2 an hour or so depending if I’m having a coffee or not. Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@twoodwar, if I wax a long time prior to skiing I will leave the wax until a few days before and then scrape/brush. If I've been a lazy so and so, and doing it the last week before we go I will do ski's in order (4 sets), so wax all 4 and then scrape all 4. And so it may be 2 hours, maybe not - I do leave as much time as possible. I wouldn't sweat it too much but maybe have a tea/coffee break before scraping.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@twoodwar, I leave mine overnight if possible, and somewhere warm. But in future will be trying the Dominator paste waxes https://dominatorwax.com/collections/paste-wax. No more irons and scraping. And although they look expensive on the face of it, you use a tiny amount and there is no waste. Also easy to do on the road.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 23-01-23 11:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, As I thought. Given other replies on this thread, can’t leave too long, but too short I had never considered as the wax was cold, therefore I assume it had done its job. I did think there might be some chemical effect such as with concrete, that gets harder and harder as years go by! Cheers for your thoughts and speed of reply as I’m about to go into service mode.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@fuzzydunlop, cheers also crossed posts
ski holidays
@twoodwar, I think at the end of the season I would still just wax and leave on to store. Scrape before using next time. As @Layne says above.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy