Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2020/2021

Poster: A snowHead
Charliee wrote:
is it possible for someone give a quick translation of the options and scenarios.
Many thanks in advance

Sure.

First there is a profound dive into history back into the "plan neige" in the 1960s and 70s. This explains in a way the kind of strange role the Bellecôte glacier takes in the La Plagne resort as some weird addon to the main ski area. Meaning the need to go down by télécabine (from Roche de Mio) so that you can go up just to reach some crappy old lifts and narrow pistes. The idea which warrented these extremely expensive (to construct AND to operate) installations was the wish to offer summer skiing. At one time in the video a (provisional!) piste map of the glacier sector is shown which not only includes two drag lifts on the west face (which have been in place at some point in time; or at least one of them (photo shown in video!) until 1996; if you've ever wondered - like I have multiple times - how you reach the advertised 3250m in La Plagne, now you now it Laughing ). But also two chair lifts on the south facing Cul du Nant glacier which never have been put into place (at 2:40min).

Anyhow, for different reasons summer skiing never really came into fruition at least at La Plagne and so they gave it up for good in 2005. Now the Bellecôte gondola, built in 1978, has reached the end of its lifespan not only but also for reglementory reasons. There are five scenarios in the discussion (starting at 7:40min). The color code on the maps used for lifts and pistes reads as follows:
1. Yellow => Remodeling on the same trace. Meaning new lifts and wider pistes.
2. Green => Creation on totally new trace.
3. Red => Abandonment/Scrapping.
4. Black => Stays as is.

As I said, there are five scenarios which made it to the official list and got evaluated. To jump ahead, as the decision is very close, the clear frontrunner seems to be #5. Here they are:
S1. New Bellecôte gondola (upgraded capacity, less wind prone - probably a 3S) on the same trace. New, much longer and of course bigger TS Chalet in direction of the Plateau du Rochu. Creating a new piste on top, widening two others and scrapping two lower which wouldn't be reachable anymore. You get the picture.
S2. Same as S1. With the exception, that the gondola goes up a little bit higher so that you can ski down to the TS Glacier without poling.
S3. This is interesting! Creating (finally!) a new piste from Roche de Mio down to Col de Chiaupe - powered by dynamite. Two new gondolas from the base of TS Chalet. One up to Bellecôte (same place), one back to Roche de Mio. I guess, from all the scenarios on the table this is the prefered one by the SAP but can't pass because of environmentalist reasons.
S4. New TS Chalet on same trace. Same first section of new TC Bellecôte, but then going up to the Plateau du Rochu instead of Bellecôte. New, longer TS Glacier. Pistework.
S5. Same as S5, but without TS Glacier and therefore without TS Traversée.

In the second half of the - until then great - video the author, a mountain guide who makes his money in winter with off piste guiding, pushes with quite self contradicting arguments for a simple renovation of TC Bellecôte. - Will not happen.

S5 on the other hand is very likely. It is by far the cheapest option to run and the SAP can use the given up ski terrain to negotiate the piste extensions which will inevitebly be necessary once a modern high capacity gondola is in place. Piste skiing will be better up there. On the other hand La Plagne will lose its famous Chiaupe mogul run. And it is particularly bad for freeriding as the wide, relativly easy and safe southfacing slopes of Bellecôte (Cul du Nant, etc) are vanishing out of reach. Because they would require a quite long traverse through steep avalanche prone terrain. In other words, skins and avi risk II max. When you reach risk II thoughout midwinter, those slopes would surely be crunchy. So no more quickly safe powder options around here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tristero, thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tristero, and other many thanks - its unimaginable that they could do away with the glacier chair - it cuts off some of the best south facing off piste in the alps!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like it’s a toxic mix of politics and financials which will inevitably lead to a sub-optimal decision in the long run for the resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-11-20 14:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chopkins13 wrote:
Sounds like it’s a toxic mix of politics and financials which will inevitably lead to a sub-optimal decision in the long run for the resort.

You mean, business as usual? Laughing

Honestly, it's a tough one. The glacier sector clearly runs at a deficit. Only very few people actually (can) ski there. Most of them are one time visitors accustomed to Plagne's boulevard pistes who get instantly humiliated. Of all skiers in the resort only a tiny fraction actually practices freeriding up there. Out of them the majority most likely consists of locals who ski either on season passes or cheap samedi-je-skie tickets. There are very few tourists who can spend the time (family duty!) and money to hire a guide. And even fewer who do have the skills to go on their own. But the folks who vacation there for a week or two are the ones who purchase the expensive lift passes and therefore keep the whole show running.

From that perspective best option for SAP would be S6 - going in big. Meaning S3 + S4 + two powerful chairs on Cul du Nant as thought of back then. Especially because Plagne painfully lacks south facing runs. Okay, that will never happen.

What's next in line? That would be building a blue run from top to bottom via Rochu and Dérochoir. Unfortunatly an undertaking like that looks something like this. Or probably worse:

http://youtube.com/v/uVo2CW2I1mc

Will any sensible SAP CEO give up TS Glacier and Traversée for the right to do that? Of course!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can watch them re building the snow front of Plagne Centre Live on You tube:-
http://youtube.com/v/gbpMreaCW1o
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charliee, Excellent and it really is live! Notice pylon for the new lift are in although the lift wont open until next season I believe. (Just visible above the piste patrol office, where the Z was once.)
Hopefully that will stay on all season snowHead

Also Bergerie live Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/HaH7zWOX8zA
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice photo from Roche this morning.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thefatcontroller, Have you found the live webcams on you tube?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boredsurfin, No, always happy for a live cam...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thefatcontroller,
Fill yer boots...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=laplagne+live
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
@thefatcontroller,
Fill yer boots...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=laplagne+live

Thanks. Something to keep my mind occupied as I vegetate on conference calls....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, really rather frustrating.
Here on the edge of London it is dull and drizzly.
While La Plagne is looking quite lovely (https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/webcams/bergerie)
And without Covid, that is where we would be today: La Plagne would have opened yesterday, and we would be skiing in bright sunshine.
So it goes . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, +1 An amazing snow fall as well - Monty was practically bare two weeks ago snowHead My locally based friends are still hoping to be allowed to open the lifts on Jan 7th but are fairly pessimistic
Although on this live cam there are some naughty folk with ski's on

http://youtube.com/v/gbpMreaCW1o
latest report
@Jonpim, We travelled up yesterday and you are right, it is looking lovely. We're hoping to try out the Cross country skiing in Champagny le Haut when it opens next weekend although it looks like a lot of precipitation is forecast for next week.
We're really hoping the lifts will open on the 7th January although I haven't got the lift pass sorted out yet. I tried to buy the season pass towards the end of November at the discounted rate but it didn't give me the option on the La Plagne skipass site.
I'll ask around to find out if the locals think it may open and report back.
latest report
skichampcouk, yes, we also tried just too late.
They stoppped selling Season Passes after the French (Presidential?) announcement the resorts would not be opening until January.
Queries about still having the 20% discount, or even if they will be selling season passes at all not being answered.
We can just watch and and be wistful.
ski holidays
Anyone out there able to give an update ?

Were due to go out to Plagne first half of March, but wondering whether to cut and run and transfer flights to next season
snow report
eblunt wrote:
Anyone out there able to give an update ?

Were due to go out to Plagne first half of March, but wondering whether to cut and run and transfer flights to next season

We own in Les Arcs and were due to be there this week and have a 2nd week booked for Mid March but at this point I would say there is a 10% chance of March happening. While we are progressing on vaccinations at pace, France I am led to believe is way behind. If you lose money by not cancelling now I would go cancel but hold as long as you can. Things are changing daily.
snow conditions
I think there are two questions:

#1 When will the resorts be allowed to open

#2 When Brits are allowed to go there.

As per this thread I think most are clinging on more in hope than expectation.
ski holidays
Sadly if you think that UK vaccinations will be anything like complete by April you are sadly disallusioned. I iive for my winter fix but it is not going to happen this year. 30 million minimum to innoculate, with 12 week (three month) wait between 1st and second application and approx 1 week wait before full protection?........................Hmmmn The innoculation passport will be in force by then plus the unknown about the carrier element. Protection for you yes but are you a carrier................................ 22 minimum probably 22/23 realistically.
ski holidays
Interesing Maersk, how things can change so fast with this Covid.
Vaccine not going too badly after all in UK. I've had my 2nd Pfizer. Wife waiting anxiously for her 2nd.

But main reason for reviving this thread was this: Savoie: one dead in an avalanche in Aime-la-Plagne.
Described as "Aime La Plagne", but actually in Mont Jovet sector, which I think is the off-piste slopes above Etoile.
There had been a large snowfall the day before. A risky place to go methinks, but i bet is was oh-so tempting.
Commiserations to all those involved. Some risks work out, some don't. So it goes.
snow conditions
A neat summary from www.perso-plagne.fr

Quote:
Yesterday should have ended the winter season.
But this season will remain in the history of La Plagne, which is dear to me as you know, as the first entirely without lifts. Let's hope this is the first and last. Hopefully economic damage is limited. Hopefully the tourist attendance will be, starting this summer, and especially next winter at the rendezvous.
Because this winter La Plagne is celebrating its 60th birthday.
snow report
Probably worth saying that some of the lifts in La Plagne still remember that opening day 60 years ago.
snow report
snowhound wrote:
Probably worth saying that some of the lifts in La Plagne still remember that opening day 60 years ago.

Savage but true Shocked Laughing
snow report
Yes, snowhound, a wonderfully clever comment.
I wonder if you could suggest which ones?
ski holidays
New lift Lovatiere replacing Verdons Nord follows track of the old Z. Becoin on the right, they've dug another big hole to accommodate new lift, piste patrol building moved into extended Funi Plagne building along with kids area.
New 10 seat Gondola in Valandry to replace 4 seat chair
Both new lifts open this Christmas

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4769
http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4724

[img]www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/download/file.php?id=9394&mode=view[/img]
snow report
Two excellent upgrades.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, thanks for the link.
What I can't work out is the fate of Colorado and Verdon Nord.
Both scrapped? There's a big red cross over it in a picture on that forum.
But it's not as old as Verdon Nord, which really does need upgrading. Sad if it too was scrapped.
snow report
@Jonpim, I don't believe Colorado is being scrapped.

New lift Lovatiere is coming from the base between Colorado and Becoin...

https://snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4638461

I guess the downside is losing the ability to lap slopes higher up when the base level is a bit crappy and/or you want to stay higher but overall a good thing.
latest report
@Jonpim, the red X isn't over Colorado but on the "technical building" (piste patrol), with the smaller red X on the Baby drag lift. You can still see the Colorado base station - just below where it says "+WC publics"
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Hi Jon, Verdons Nord is up for sale if you fancy something for the garden! Colorado remains - mainly for the toboggan track...
There are nice new toilets in the Funi plagne building extension on the Colorado side and a magic carpet to get some height again to go down under Le France to Bergerie and 1800 Very Happy

This live webcam is on the roof of Colorado
http://youtube.com/v/aFN_NxjgUDY

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 28-08-21 12:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A piste down to longefoy would be nice and the old verdons nord lift could used to get you back to montalbert.
And if anyone hears about them selling off the old bubbles on the bellecotte glacier telecabine post it here, I want one for the garden.
latest report
Topperski wrote:
A piste down to longefoy would be nice and the old verdons nord lift could used to get you back to montalbert.
And if anyone hears about them selling off the old bubbles on the bellecotte glacier telecabine post it here, I want one for the garden.

Me too
ski holidays
The new Lavatiere lift in La Plagne Centre Becoin is on the right partially hidden

For old folk, its almost on the line of the Old Z lift and Verdons Nord.

snow conditions
Lavatiere

New extension to Funiplagne building and new queuing system inside

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy