Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski backpack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys!

In December I'm going to ski with my wife, it's gonna be the first time I ski with her, all the other times I went with friends.
Skiing with the wife means: I have to carry her stuff Laughing
So, I'm looking for a nice backpack to use while skiing, something not so bulky that is comfortable and can fit things like sunglasses, base-layers, sunscreen, camera, bennies, gloves and all those things we can put on/off.

Any tips for nice ski backpacks ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ride with a Dakine Heli-Pro 2, albeit an ancient model.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Deuter Freerider 25L. fits comfortably, enough internal and external pockets and access to use off piste if I need to.
Usually I don't fill it, I carry it as empty as possible, so that I don't have to take it off on chair lifts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love my dakine heli pro 20L - you can see it is well constructed and will last a long time, also it is not too big so not much of a trouble in chairlifts. The only complaint I have is the goggle compartment does not fit my airbrake xl.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If not skiing with ABS which is rare I ski with a 10 year old Ortovox rucksack....no idea which model but they are all good so pick the size you want and go with that is my suggestion, they last for ever.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My dakine Heli pro 2 is 13 years old and I use it for gym/work as well as ski trips.....still going strong!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For something alittle slimmer I have the Dakine Heli 10l. Fits all the essentials for a day out and it doesnt obstruct my skiing. Only issue I have the excess amount of straps. But for the price it has been a bargain
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Second thought you would need room for two. So the 20l maybe more suitable
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AndreSilva, por sinal sou brasuka tb, mas moro no UK mesmo! abraco!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use the Dakine Heli, smaller than the Heli2. It's fine for the pair of us with a bladder for drinking water rather than bottles, enough space for a spare layer, sunnies and so on
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brands and names have nothing to do with personal backpack fitting and sizing .
Osprey comes in two back sizes with a sizing tool instore you can learn from .
Womans packs will be very different in strap neck width and other sizing areas .

Even if buying cheaper packs .....once you have used a well fitted pack for higher levels of activity its hard to go back to the cheap rubbish (except for low activity levels .)
For short time frames and low load low activity levels anything even a double stringed JD plastic shopping bag can work although not very fashionable .

One great feature on Osprey "smaller" packs is the wider hip belts on the lower side straps these will support the pack on the hips greatly during higher levels of activity or over long days taking some weight off the shoulders .
The pack just sits higher longer, feels better works better but hip supports are not on all smaller cheaper packs

Once you have had great fit its hard to go back the key is knowing the difference in fit during endurance activity.
Then you can tell that some of the cheaper packs like at decathlon are not too bad if some of the best brands like Osprey Lowe Dueter are too pricey .

The Dakine stuff is fine perhaps over priced as its no different too decathlon if it doesnt fit you personally and is probably made in the same sweat shops as all the other carp .
The Osprey and Dueter brands are another level with Deuter having serious history that makes Dakine look like JD sports

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 11-07-19 16:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use the dakine heli pack. It's compact, affordable, looks great and despite only being a 12l bag it is all you will need.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tirol 164, completely agree. The back is more than the pack. My BD Jetforce is a heavy AVI pack. But the back harness is so good you don't notice it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of love for the dakine heli packs here, but the issue i find with them for lift based skiing is all the bl**dy straps, I used to use heli packs, but the new ones don't seem as well made as they used to be and now find the smooth black diamond dawn patrol 15 works much better, you can get them for about £50

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/ski-packs/dawn-patrol-15-BD681172_cfg.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a Heli Pro 20l, and really like it -especially the goggle pocket on the top which means you can put in the sort of kit that you want easy access to without digging down into the bottom of the bag. I bought Mr P the Black Diamond Dawn Patrol 25l for Christmas (a very nice orange colour too!). It is nice and sleek and sits snugly on his back-and possibly does have fewer strappy bits to worry about.
ski holidays
For skiing around the resort I have an EVOC Slope 18 rucksack. It’s low profile so ok on lifts without removing it. And does have skiing features if needed like shovel and probe sections, diagonal ski carry straps etc. The back is quite solid so I feel it gives some good back protection also.
snow report
Ortovox Freerider for me, think it's the 18 or 20L one. Hardly any straps to worry about, never been an issue on a lift, and plenty room for all the safety gear, a few layers, drinks food etc.
ski holidays
Leaving the bags aside - one thing to be aware of is that a lot of backpacks are not really waterproof. So buy a liner/drysack to fit inside to put stuff you don't want to get wet in (usually your layers). This usually seals at the top, gets rolled down and then clipped together. My daughter uses one all the time for her school trips (she just came back from Snowdonia, its been to the Lake District and lots of hiking trips) Everything stays dry inside them - this is just the first one I found on google search - plenty of other brands available link to dry sacks
latest report
We have various. I like my Dakine 20l (women’s version) Husband likes Ortovox/Osprey at the moment.
What height / build are you ? Some are longer, some wider.
Also think about how it will sit on your back when on a chair lift? Will it push you too far forward. Will you have to swing it on to your front on lifts?
Don’t go too big or you’ll end up carrying more stuff that you don’t really need.
snow conditions
Gustavobs wrote:
@AndreSilva, por sinal sou brasuka tb, mas moro no UK mesmo! abraco!

Fala ae doido!
Moro na Holanda, dá um toque quando vier pra esses lados que agente toma umas!
latest report
Thank you all of the replies!

Indeed I saw a lot of love for Dakine, checked their backpacks and have some nice features for a decent price.
But as @Oitbc said, indeed, many of the models I checked are not waterproof, I thought that this would be number 1 requirement for a ski backpack Puzzled
I didn't think about the lift problem... indeed, I need something slim that I don't need to take it off on the lift, so I guess I should stick to 20L or less, right ?
latest report
AndreSilva wrote:

But as @Oitbc said, indeed, many of the models I checked are not waterproof, I thought that this would be number 1 requirement for a ski backpack Puzzled

Actually, not really. You don’t often ski in the rain (and I don’t recommend it). Even in heavy wet snow I’ve not had issues with backpacks getting particularly wet (not soaked through anyway). Seat of the pants is a bigger issue in those conditions particularly if sitting in snow on chairs.
ski holidays
Just a comment and forgive me if it's a bit off-topic: but it's worth considering that you may get separated, in which event she may want some of the items of hers that you're carrying. In our family, we used to carry each other's stuff all the time, until we got separated one time, the weather closed in, and people were carrying other people's goggles, scarves etc. Since then, we've always had a rule that you carry what you need. I've even been in a group where people would carry their partner's money and cards on the assumption they'd never be separated. However awkward, I think it's worth raising this with your wife and asking her to at least have a small rucksack of her own for essential items, at least. Then yes, you carry non-essentials (although that raises the question of what's non-essential?).

Here's one scenario: You get to the bottom of a run, at the lift you agreed you're aiming for. No sign of your wife. You wait a bit, then try calling her mobile. No answer. The weather's closing in and visibility is bad and you switch from sunglasses to goggles and put on a neck warmer. Wait a bit more. Reaching for your mobile you realise you have her goggles and scarf and inner gloves. You take a nibble of the emergency bread/cheese and realise she doesn't have any food with her either ...
latest report
LaForet wrote:
Just a comment and forgive me if it's a bit off-topic: but it's worth considering that you may get separated, in which event she may want some of the items of hers that you're carrying. In our family, we used to carry each other's stuff all the time, until we got separated one time, the weather closed in, and people were carrying other people's goggles, scarves etc. Since then, we've always had a rule that you carry what you need. I've even been in a group where people would carry their partner's money and cards on the assumption they'd never be separated. However awkward, I think it's worth raising this with your wife and asking her to at least have a small rucksack of her own for essential items, at least. Then yes, you carry non-essentials (although that raises the question of what's non-essential?).

Here's one scenario: You get to the bottom of a run, at the lift you agreed you're aiming for. No sign of your wife. You wait a bit, then try calling her mobile. No answer. The weather's closing in and visibility is bad and you switch from sunglasses to goggles and put on a neck warmer. Wait a bit more. Reaching for your mobile you realise you have her goggles and scarf and inner gloves. You take a nibble of the emergency bread/cheese and realise she doesn't have any food with her either ...

Hmmm... that is very valid point, never thought about that Shocked
latest report
I've never seen anyone ride with a waterproof backpack! You can get them for boating - Ortlieb etc. Those really are unsuitable. If you really, really need to ski in heavy rain (!) then you'd not be asking this question, but a Tesco carrier bag inside a standard backpack would work better. Unless you're a guide then you're not going to be carrying significant load, so you need something which is stable rather than something which is designed for lugging 30kgs around a mountain. Ski-specific backpacks are designed for the job.

My advice would be to use your pockets and get gear which has ventilation control so you don't need to layer.
Only if you still need to layer would carrying a bag be essential...
and in that case I'd get a ski-specific backpack which fits you and which is as small as possible.
Most resorts will still ask you to remove it on chair lifts.

The original (smallest) DaKine helipack is designed to carry shovel and probe and a layer.
They ride well and are thin enough to wear in a heli without taking them off.
Most people chop the extra straps they don't use, because they'll catch in lifts etc.
snow report
If i didn't have avvy kit I wouldn't carry a pack. Just no need.

Pockets.
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
Hi guys!

In December I'm going to ski with my wife, it's gonna be the first time I ski with her, all the other times I went with friends.
Skiing with the wife means: I have to carry her stuff Laughing
So, I'm looking for a nice backpack to use while skiing, something not so bulky that is comfortable and can fit things like sunglasses, base-layers, sunscreen, camera, bennies, gloves and all those things we can put on/off.

Any tips for nice ski backpacks ?

Sunglasses - pocket
base layers - look at forecast , layer accordingly. If get hot - unzip coat , if get cold - hot choc time
suncream - apply before leaving hotel
camera = phone - pocket
bennies - (hat?) pocket
gloves - on hands

Leave the pack at home , unless off piste kit needed - not sure you need one. and just more faff.

(for full disclosure - I have a dakine heli 12L!!)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 10-07-19 12:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I think I would take a back pack even if I had nothing to put in it. I've just got used to wearing one and would feel strange without it.

Normally its my Ortovox Ascent 22, but if staying on piste it's my Dakine Heli Pro.

My Heli Pro was always filled with my GF's stuff, so I bought her her own back pack. A word of warning - they will want to choose this... we got there in the end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a Dakine back pack which came with my transceiver and probe as a set. Did not fit very well so used it for work and now for my gym gear. Cut all the straps off as not required.

I use a BCA avi bag for most of my skiing as usually off-piste.

I purchased the Deuter Speed Lite 24 last season for a non off-piste trip. Great half price deal. Does all you need to do if not requiring an airbag. I use it for non skiing travel too. Could be had for £60. Purchase an insulated cover for the camel back tube and off you go (or add a touch of vodka to the water Toofy Grin ).
https://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/alpine/speed-lite-24/
snow report
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I have a Dakine back pack which came with my transceiver and probe as a set. Did not fit very well so used it for work and now for my gym gear. Cut all the straps off as not required.

I use a BCA avi bag for most of my skiing as usually off-piste.

I purchased the Deuter Speed Lite 24 last season for a non off-piste trip. Great half price deal. Does all you need to do if not requiring an airbag. I use it for non skiing travel too. Could be had for £60. Purchase an insulated cover for the camel back tube and off you go (or add a touch of vodka to the water Toofy Grin ).
https://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/alpine/speed-lite-24/

This Deuter looks nice, but seems kind bulky... how is it on the lifts ? Do you need to take it out ?
latest report
Speaking as a woman, I would never expect or allow anyone to carry my gear! Whatever happened to equality? Just occasionally I might carry husband's brolly in my handbag, or he will stuff a spare fleece in his larger bag - but skiing - NEVER ! Goes for carrying my skis too. If you're not prepared to carry your gear, then stay at home (or in the spa).
snow report
Eek! I made a mistake. Just had a look and the pack is the Deuter Freerider Lite 25 wink Similar price.

https://www.deuter.com/DE/en/winter/freerider-lite-25-3303017-blue.html

It is light and no problem on lifts. I never have to take it off betweek coffee stops.
ski holidays
@hawkesbaynz, too big for airline carry on though? Sorry ignore.....56cm is ok.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 13-07-19 12:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pockets
But I also use a leg pack if the weather looks like its changeable & I need to carry more stuff like a different colour lens or extra layer, etc. Or if I am fidling with my setup if I have bought something new & need to carry tools!
snow report
@Mr.Egg, doesn’t that drive you crazy if hiking? What’s the Velcro strip for?
snow conditions
It is now, what......, 33 years ago I purchased a Madden (Daylite) backpack that accommodated an inverted set of boots "just", plus a few essential accoutrement via its simple design and that beyond overbuilt/ballistic and then some pack is nearly still as new, still doing the work of a team of mule. How many days have I skied/used it......? Over 2,500 that's for sure. Brilliant design across-the-board, nothing remotely light about it and worth every penny then, all the more now and into the future.

My advice..............., read the above and copy.
latest report
BCA Stash 20, have used it for 10 years and just perfect... very clean pack without straps everywhere like the Dakine.
latest report
I take it the dakine packs with the straps are the older versions or the snowboard specific ones?
Looking at the BCA stash 20 and the poacher 22, a strap fest doesn't seem significantly evident either way

latest report
Ortovox Crossrider - comes in a 18 and 20 ltr depending on the back length
ski holidays
Hi guys!

I was about to buy a Ortovox Freerider when I found this online: http://www.liftrider.me/
Did anyone here tried it ? I got very tempted because it have everything I need.
I'm not gonna use this backpack to cross country ski or hiking, so the fact that it does not have ski carriers is no problem.

The most important thing for me is that a backpack should have enough space and that I don't need to take it out of the chairlift, and this one does exactly that, the upper compartment that is "crush free" is genius.
What do you guys think ? Should I give it a try ? Do you know any other brand that does something like this, focused for on piste skiing ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy