Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland skiing at Christmas / New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried Scotland for skiing at Xmas/New Year and if so, what did you think?

What would be the best resort for intermediate/nervous intermediate and do you have any accomodation recommendations? Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There might be snow and good skiing, or more likely no snow nor skiing at that time of year (based on past experience). If you’re keen to come, come by all means - but think of it as a holiday in the highlands, not a ski holiday, and be prepared for walking/ mountain biking/ etc or even just staying snug indoors with a book (and maybe a wee drink) when the weather is wild (which it likely will be at some point in any given week at that time of year). All of these can be great fun of course but don’t come expecting a ski holiday as you’d do if heading to an alpine resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^As above. A highland Festive period is great, you might even get a ski. But don’t plan on it !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. We were looking for an experience as well as skiing so what you’re saying doesn’t really put me off. Having said that I really wouldn’t want to have NO skiing though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You’ll have to gamble and pray that the weather gods deliver snow for that to happen, it’s a lottery.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think I need to put to the family and see what their priorities are.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No that usual for sking at Xmas or new year, normally warm and wet after sometimes promising snow in November.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't personally recommend the Highlands at that time of year. It's typically cloudy and quite wet. Sunset is very early and it can be quite dark even in the middle of the day in dull weather. Almost all tourist attractions shut and many restaurants as well. Good snow conditions are rare before New Year, though not unheard of.

Sorry if that paints a very negative picture. By contrast, Edinburgh and Glasgow are much better over Xmas, including all the Xmas markets. Maybe a city break with a possibility of going skiing for a day from there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I enjoyed a break to Edinburgh over New Year a couple of years ago, Scotland isn't somewhere I would plan an Xmas ski trip to however.

To be honest, I am not planning any holiday over Xmas/New Year this year as even if they are OK from a coronavirus perspective, it is likely to be a time with most difficulty with socially distanced lift queues/restaurants etc, when resorts are adapting to large volumes of skiiers for the first time since coronavirus nevermind the potential restriction of availability and potential for higher prices! Others may have a different opinion however.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love Scotland, and lived and worked there for five years, but I have to agree with the comments above - you can't really plan a ski holiday to Scotland months in advance - especially at Christmas/New Year when, if there IS good snow and it's not blowing a hoolie the lift queues might well be massive. The longest queues I ever saw for a draglift were at Cairngorm on a sunny day with good snow!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have lived near Glenshee for 30 years.

Good snow at Xmas is unlikely. Since retiring 4 years ago I have found the best results for skiing is to look at the forecast for the coming week, if there is snow on the ground, and chose the sunny day and plan to ski then. Avoid weekends and other busy times. I've had some really great days, but it doesn't really lend itself to a planned week of skiing. You have to choose a good day, drop everything and just go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We regularly head up to near Aviemore around Christmas time for a short break, but the hit rate for snow isn't great. As others have said, think of it as a holiday in the Highlands that might also have some skiing if you are lucky. We usually find the weather is fine for days out walking either on the hills or in the woods, or head north to the beautiful (windy) beaches on the Moray coast. It's generally a lot wetter over on the west coast as that catches the rain coming in off the Atlantic.
I'm not really into 'tourist attractions' but we always find plenty to do if there is no snow and it's one of my favourite places to visit when it's quiet. If there is some snow then Cairngorm often has the best of it that early in the year, and is fine for intermediates. Nevis often struggles with rain that early in the season but is also good for intermediates.

We usually stop at Feshiebridge Lodge (now open to everyone since their refurbishment last year), which is tucked away in the woods outside Aviemore in a beautiful location.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks so much for your honest opinions; it has really been helpful.

We brought in the millenium in Edinburgh and had such a lovely time we said we’d do a Scottish New Year again one day. Mum is from Cowdenbeath so I’ve always been fond of it as a country and want to explore it.

However, on balance, it’s clearly probably not going to fill all the criteria so we aren’t going down this route. As suggested, hubby and I may have a crafty week there (Monday to Friday) if the conditions are looking favourable in the Spring then (the kids are at college and work so will miss out this year - sorry kids!!). The social distancing thing is a major off-putter for skiing this year - but we’re all in the same boat on that one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For Aviemore the festive period is a notably busy time of year accommodation wise, so last minute booking which you'd really want to do if looking for skiing in Dec / early Jan is either going to be very difficult and if you can get somewhere it will be significantly expensive compared to a couple weeks earlier or later (this might all be turned on its head by Covid so....).

The strike rate for skiing around New Year, early January is better than around Christmas on Cairn Gorm, but there have been superb conditions at this time of year - but as others have posted, there is a tendency for early snow Nov or early Dec to be lost or considerably reduced, and more sustained lift served snowsports quite often gets going between Christmas and New Year, so it's a bigger gamble than later in the season. Historically Cairn Gorm or the Lecht is favoured for early season skiable snow, but Glencoe has posted pre Christmas turns a few times in recent years and that's something that was unheard of in the past!

While the OP's ruled the option out, if anyone else is considering it while Aviemore and area certainly has big appeal for a festive break, if you are hoping to add in some skiing keep in mind there will be no non-surface uplift on Cairn Gorm again this coming season, which worsens the odds for early season snowsports as it will require natural snow to the foot of the mid-mountain and at least suitable snow making conditions on the lower slopes to get to the Top Bowl which is more likely to be skiable then. It also means no lift served sight seeing for any non skiers on Cairn Gorm.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Xmas / New Year a lottery. The skiing can be great. However it's more likely to be wet and windy. Chance of no-skiing is high.

As ever with Scottish skiing best plan is not to have one. Rather watch the weather forecast and drive last minute when conditions turn good. Accomodation rarely a problem as winter is quiet time for tourists in Scotland.

Spring is king : mid Feb to April almost always brings the best snow and weather
latest report
@bambionskiis,
Quote:

Has anyone tried Scotland for skiing at Xmas/New Year and if so, what did you think?

What would be the best resort for intermediate/nervous intermediate and do you have any accomodation recommendations? Cheers

I had my first ever skiing trip to the Cairngorms back in the New Year of 1973 !! Much will obviously have changed in almost 50 years, but not the weather. It was the coldest I’ve ever been. I mean ‘Seriously Cold’. And very windy.
I went a couple of other times but it was always cold and windy.
I enjoyed it though.
Good Luck !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy