Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for recommendations.
Going February and want to try somewhere new. Love La Plagne for open wide runs. We are family of 4, 3 intermediate skiers and my son is advanced so some decent blacks for him a must. I like long wide blues. France preferably for the food but somewhere pretty and scenic. La plagne is not the prettiest resort so I would like to try something a bit nicer.
Have only skied at Easter for years due to school hols so was wondering if the higher up resorts can be icy that time of year?
Have looked at Chamonix and was put t off with the buses between some runs etc. Would prefer ski in/out. Considering Les Arc at the moment but any recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@karen_innes, skip France and go to the dolomites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wait last minute. Good chance nobody will be going anywhere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@karen_innes, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Which week you intend to travel in February makes a difference I think. Have you decided?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@karen_innes, skip France and go to the dolomites.

My own view is..... skip France and go to the Dolomites.
But which week in February? It will be busier during the Fasching Carnival
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If France and can avoid vacances scolaires that's better, although not as essential as in e.g. the 80s.

It can be icy anywhere at any time of year but Feb pretty reliable. Ski in/out an over-rated and massively over-priced advantage, IMV.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@karen_innes, Welcome to Snowheads.

I'm no expert on family skiing, but I guess you are looking at half term? Couple of things you mention that are a bit confusing, high resorts don't necessarily mean more ice, to the contrary they normally mean less ice (unless south facing) because they are above the freeze/ thaw line. Another one is you want to be in France because of the food, well in my experience having skied widely over Europe the food in France is the last reason i'd want to ski there, its generally of poorer quality and overpriced compared to Italy and Austria in my experience.

That said if you are wanting France my suggestion would be Tignes, or Val d'Isere, or 3V rather than La Plagne, or better still Italy or Austria, say Obergurgl, or Saalbach, or Mayrhofen in Austria, or the Domomites as mentioned above.

A word of caustion - nobody yet knows what next season is going to look like - i'd be cautious yet about over-committing and laying out deposits etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

That said if you are wanting France my suggestion would be Tignes

The OP wants somewhere prettier than La Plagne! I'm a Francophile but would favour the Dolomites over both France and Austria for a combination of good food and good prices. A lot depends on time of year, but @Markymark29's warning is important - dodgy to book now unless you can get money back if the coronavirus lights go on all over Europe.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@karen_innes, welcome to snowheads, try looking at La Tania or Le Praz, below Courchevel. Loads of wide runs, some great local restaurants and a huge and high skiing area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serre Chevalier
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stoke on Trent is prettier than La Plagne. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
... Ski in/out an over-rated and massively over-priced advantage, IMV.

The issue with ski-in ski-out is that there is no standard definition. Some TOs seem incapable of using only half the term, even when it is appropriate, and some seem to slap it on anything that you can ski back to off-piste perhaps 2 days a season, or that doesn't need a bus ride!

Whether it is over-rated / overpriced depends a lot on the individual. If you have young children / are getting on a bit / are less fit / have to carry your partner's skis / like to return to your accommodation for lunch / etc. it can be worth paying the extra.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@karen_innes, If you like La Plagne you'll really like La Rosiere, big ski area, linked with La Thuile in Italy so a good variety of pistes, very scenic and a very friendly village. Check out www.larosiere.net for all the details from the Toursit Office.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ski in/out an over-rated and massively over-priced advantage, IMV

Shocked Shock Confused

Quote:

the food in France is the last reason i'd want to ski there, its generally of poorer quality and overpriced compared to Italy and Austria in my experience

+1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Generalising resorts within a country is a dangerous game though. They can vary so greatly that it can cost you the opportunity of going to some fantastic resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy