Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So what happens if skiers contract CV19 on holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
LaForet wrote:
@caravanSkier Yes, one to add to the list. But, wouldn't you need proof of such an assertion? Something like an official 'Covid Safe' Certificate? I don't think the present UK authorities are anywhere close to this sort of arrangement, but I suppose they may be by 2021 (...on reflection and past record, it seems unlikely). Is this the same as the Covid Passport idea that seems to have been forgotten?

I think the idea has been thrown away because we can not really hope to have proof of any long term immunity for quite some time yet, or even concrete proof of complete immunity whilst antibodies are present. Covid19 has simply not been around long enough. I obviously want to believe we (having had it) will never be able to catch it again! However the best I can come up with is that it seems likely we will not be re-infected whilst we still have the antibodies, but the evidence is not yet robust as far as I can determine.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given the worrying high proportion of new age nutters who say they won't have a vaccination perhaps there is mileage in a vaccination certificate (like I used to carry around the world - yellow fever, etc.) It would at least prove that the holder has done what they can to contribute to herd immunity.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think corona viruses are more like "the common cold", though, in that being immune to one variant doesn't really count for much.
If it did, then anyone who had had the thing could just get on with life, certificate or not.

I'm thinking it's more of a long term issue, like the cold.
Perhaps we need to work out what the transmission vectors are much more precisely to reduce incidence.
Then it's probably more a case of reducing the risks after the inevitable infection. Which is why my NHS mates have all lost weight wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Given the worrying high proportion of new age nutters who say they won't have a vaccination perhaps there is mileage in a vaccination certificate (like I used to carry around the world - yellow fever, etc.) It would at least prove that the holder has done what they can to contribute to herd immunity.

Yes, people of a certain age can remember carrying that small yellow innoculation booklet along with passport. Even for a trip to Greece, parts of Spain and Austria (yes, even Austria), I used to nip down to British Airways travel clinic in Buckingham Palace Road to get my jabs - typhoid, yellow fever and others and malaria tablets for the tropical places. Some countries wouldn't let you in without such proof, some airlines wouldn't let you board without it. No vaccine can be 100% - I suspect, just like the 'flu, the Covid vaccine will be 50% effective - if true, that 50% would have a dramatic downward effect on the R number so it won't be foolproof but it will be worth doing.

Quote:
new age nutters who say they won't have a vaccination
- that's why Bill Gates is personally delivering it via 5G masts. Didn't you know?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
So what happens if skiers contract CV19 on holiday?

They go downhill fast?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
philwig wrote:
I think corona viruses are more like "the common cold", though, in that being immune to one variant doesn't really count for much.
If it did, then anyone who had had the thing could just get on with life, certificate or not.

I'm thinking it's more of a long term issue, like the cold.
Perhaps we need to work out what the transmission vectors are much more precisely to reduce incidence.
Then it's probably more a case of reducing the risks after the inevitable infection. Which is why my NHS mates have all lost weight wink

The common cold is a set of symptoms, caused by a variety (hundreds) of viruses. It's a bit like vaccinating against an "upset stomach" - you might address one cause, but there's dozens of others.

COVID is caused by a single virus which, so far, has shown minimal mutation. As such, at least theoretically, it should be possible to vaccinate against it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wrote:
Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/general-information.html

We we're agreed at least that the common cold is a type of coronavirus.

snowdave wrote:
... COVID is caused by a single virus which, so far, has shown minimal mutation. As such, at least theoretically, it should be possible to vaccinate against it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "theoretically".

Either it's stable enough for a vaccine to be effective, or it's not. My example was to point out that it may well not be.
That it doesn't mutate whilst wildly successful isn't suprising.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig wrote:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wrote:
Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/general-information.html

We we're agreed at least that the common cold is a type of coronavirus.

Nope, we're not agreed on that.

The common cold is a set of symptoms (possibly an illness, but colds differ quite a lot) not a virus.

It MAY be caused by a coronavirus, but may be caused by many other viruses. The rhinovirus group is more common that coronaviruses.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the key point is that all the current research is pointing to T-cell based immunity, including cross protection from exposure to previous common cold coronaviruses, playing a major role in resisting serious illness with Covid-19, and explaining why the young (who typically have lots of colds and show a very strong T cell response) do so much better than the elderly (who have weaker T cell responses and rely more on antibodies built up over the years).
The T-cells response is very long lasting eg those exposed to the 2003 SARS have shown immunity to the SARS-CoV-2, not antibody based but T cell based.
As T cells effectively take out the infected host cells, not the virus itself, they don’t need to be so precisely adapted to each individual virus mutation, ie common cold and 2003 SARS T-cells are effective against the Covid-19 virus. But antibodies are much more precisely matched, so take longer to develop and lose effectiveness as the virus mutates.
The Oxford vaccine is reported to be showing both strong antibody and T-cell responses during its development.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My gut feeling in all this, is that in reality my wife and I are probably going to have to write off next season. The writing is on the wall. Johnson has effectively closed down Austria and Croatia today, I feel that Germany and Switzerland will be next. We're approaching the end of August and December the traditional start of the season is effectively just round the corner. This pandemic is going to be around for a while yet. Overland travel by car is going to be Impossible and I don't fancy taking our chances by flying out. I think skiing in many of the resort's will be for a few locals on a hand full of operational lift's. Insurance implications are a factor particularly with factoring in the possibility of a no deal situation with Brexit which will invalid our EHIC cards. Skiing trips will not be considered as essential travel effectively making travel insurance policies all but useless. In reality my best hope of making tracks this coming season will be in our
local Cumbrian/Yorkshire hills with our touring ski's and skin's. In effect we'll be watching this space and praying for a miracle. Very uncertain times for us all for quite a while yet me thinks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowbandit56, I'm pretty confident the ski areas will be reasonably busy here this forthcoming season. Certainly plenty of German guests, probably Dutch, Danish and Czech too. Brits? Who knows, they are a small portion anyway. It might not be as busy as a normal season, but I'm confident it will be enough to keep the industry afloat.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scotland should be safe too, as long as there are no more travel restrictions. It’s just when/if the conditions are any good ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The answer about what happens in Italy if it becomes apparent that you have COIVID in resort is now clearer, and and not attractive:

Quote:
"We are completely isolated, food is delivered to the door at lunch and dinner time; we get three plastic tubs," said Mr James, who has Coeliac Disease, and said he kept being given food he could not eat, and was not allowed to have food delivered. The group have swab tests done once a week, but have been told they need to have two consecutive negative tests - or a double negative - before they can leave the hotel rooms.
"We've had five swab tests now, and they've all tested positive. But we have had two doctors come and tell us that we are no longer contagious. We are getting so many mixed messages," he said.

Watching BBC Breakfast this morning, the Italian policy is still continuing. Some women had been having alternating positive and negative tests, but not yet had two consecutive negative tests.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@achilles, it's likely to be similar in Austria too. I've heard a few stories about people being quarantined for very long periods – albeit in their own homes – probably because the PCR tests are very sensitive. I'd expect the gap between tests to be shorter than a week though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I read in the local press that a few large hotels have been earmarked for quarantine purposes for the forthcoming winter season. A nice earner for the hotel owners, although I expect it's a lot of work with disinfecting rooms, providing meals to the doors, etc.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, when we were in Altenmarkt last January our car was one of a very few GB cars around. Parking up at the base of the gondola it was interesting how many nationalities were represented.
latest report
@Pamski, British guests are less common here. I think the TOs only really go to Schladming and Obertauern, so many of the Salzburg ski areas are not on the British radar. Most guests are German, Dutch and Scandinavian. We do get some British school and army groups, which I think will be unlikely this season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy