Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift Pass refunds for Covid 19

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I was one of many caught up in the closure of French Resorts this week. I thought it would be rather simple process of getting a refund of my lift pass.

NO

I bought the Grand Massif pass ( inc the €3 per day insurance ). In advance online.

Just had a reply from SAM ( the company that appears to offer the insurance ) to inform me that ‘ EPIDEMIC NOT GUARANTEED ‘.

Has anyone else had this response.

Did anyone get a difference outcome if buying process the lift pass offices in resort?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Request the refund directly from the lift company. The insurance covers medical and rescue costs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Tignes, if you buy the carre neige with the lift pass they refer to the insurers when we have had days off for weather. If you dont they do the refund direct, odd!

Also had an e mail from Tignes saying a proportion of season passes will be refunded automatically, presumably when they are allowed back to work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like they have now added a further claims option on the Grand Massif website. So, yes, it appears the lift company are planning to refund directly.

I guess they can tell if the pass has been used and it’s widely known about the closure.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted. £1000+ refund for my 5 passes will be welcome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just had the following response from Les Gets about our annual passes.
Quote:

With the latest government directives, the ski area had to close permanently for the season on Sunday March 15, 2020.
The circumstances are unfortunately beyond our control.
In accordance with the general conditions, no compensation or reimbursement procedure is provided for season pass holders at this advanced stage of the season.
We invite you to return directly to your insurance (personal or credit card) to initiate a procedure. For this purpose, you will find attached an official certificate of closure of the ski area for your procedures.
We remain at your disposal should you require further information

so no refund
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
re lift pass refund
I would venture that asking for a refund a prepaid lift pass that hasn't been used is a different thing to a season pass
I have several PDS season passes and have used them for 5 of 7 planned trips- still represents value for money imho
I think it is important to bear in mind the very real possibility of firms/hotels/any operator that operates in the ski industry (including lift companies) going out of business.
Even if I was 'entitled' to a refund I would rather avoid that than watch the lift company go bankrupt and have no skiing next season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.grand-massif.com/en/closure-of-the-ski-area/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bobhitch, 2 reasons I asked, 1. Under my insurance claim for our cancelled holiday due to non-covid19 health reasons I have a duty to mitigate the cost of the claim. 2. Their website states "For skipasses reimbursement, please send an email at commandes@sagets.fr". It doesn't say but excluding annual passes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Arcs lift pass refunds couldn’t be easier, it seems. They have setup a refund page on their website specifically for Covid-19 cancellations, offering a cash refund or a replacement pass next season. For season passes they indicated it would be a pro rata refund. I wasn’t going to bother, but as they are facilitating these claims I completed the form yesterday. Needed my contact details, the number of my lift pass and my bank account details as I opted for the refund. Very impressed, so much so that I’ll buy a season pass next year Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timc,

They are rebranding for next season - as Les Tight Gets.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I can guess what the response will be to 3 Valleys season pass holders.... rolling eyes

The lift companies there aren't exactly renowned for their benevolence towards customers. No owners discounts. No earlybird discounts. Day 7 extensions at a bargain full price of a day ticket etc etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No refunds for season pass holders here in the Jungfrau region. Probably fair enough, as we can still use them for public transport.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:
I think I can guess what the response will be to 3 Valleys season pass holders.... rolling eyes

The lift companies there aren't exactly renowned for their benevolence towards customers. No owners discounts. No earlybird discounts. Day 7 extensions at a bargain full price of a day ticket etc etc.
This page on the Meribel skipass website suggests that if you bought your lift pass direct from them they will automatically refund your purchase. It doesn't mention season passes specifically, to exclude or include them. Have you heard if they are refusing season pass partial refunds?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be interested in knowing what refunds anyone in Madonna got.
We booked our 6 day lift passes through the tour operator so our refund has to come through them.
Not a big deal, but I'd like to know if they've passed it all on to us or not.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Season passes represent a huge saving over shorter duration passes. I wouldn't expect full refunds after December or partial refunds after January.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
Season passes represent a huge saving over shorter duration passes. I wouldn't expect full refunds after December or partial refunds after January.
That was my thinking as well, which is why I was surprised that Les Arcs immediately offered refunds, including to season pass holders.
snow conditions
Clearly lift companies only want to give a proportionate refund for season passes. But for resorts where controls are electronic it would be reasonable to also look at how much the pass has already been used. Regular use since December should mean only a small refund. An unused pass, bought with the intention of say 6 weeks continuous use in March-April, could/should have a larger refund.
latest report
@queenie pretty please, I think we got very good value from our SuperSki pass we used in Kirchberg and then Altenmarkt for four weeks in January/February and certainly wouldn’t be looking for any refund. It would have been a bit of a bonus if we had come back to ski there now.
ski holidays
Quote:

That was my thinking as well, which is why I was surprised that Les Arcs immediately offered refunds, including to season pass holders.

Where did you find that from Rob and how do I claim?
latest report
@johnE,

https://ticketoski.fr/en/clientads/situation/778/dossier/add

I uploaded a copy of my RIB for my French bank account plus the serial number of my pass. All seemed very straightforward.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Les Arcs lift pass refunds couldn’t be easier, it seems. They have setup a refund page on their website specifically for Covid-19 cancellations, offering a cash refund or a replacement pass next season. For season passes they indicated it would be a pro rata refund. I wasn’t going to bother, but as they are facilitating these claims I completed the form yesterday. Needed my contact details, the number of my lift pass and my bank account details as I opted for the refund. Very impressed, so much so that I’ll buy a season pass next year Happy

Exactly the same for La Plagne. (Both part of https://www.compagniedesalpes.com/en/brands-and-sites#stations) so I guess all 11 of their resorts will be using the same website structure.
https://ticketoski.fr/fr/la-plagne
ski holidays
The L2A page though states it is only for passes up to 15 days on the English version but not on the french Puzzled I'll try as I have no sympathy with CdA although I did use mine for 53 days.
snow report
Quote:
Season passes represent a huge saving over shorter duration passes. I wouldn't expect full refunds after December or partial refunds after January
Regardless, if you have bought a season pass for an area that advertises and boasts skiing until May (like Val Thorens), and irrespective of how much you have used it to date, you are simply not getting what you paid for with the resorts closing in mid-March (albeit for reasons outside their control). Morally at least, refunds are owed - as evidenced by those resorts who are actually providing such. Hats off to them.
snow conditions
Well I have used 35 days on my season pass which I consider more than adequate when it costs the equivalent of 14 days. I don't have a sense of entitlement about how much I use something that I have purchased. There's a far bigger picture here than quibbling about a few euros in refunds from businesses who are going to struggle as a result of this. Lift companies generally do not make much profit as there is a continuous cycle of reinvestment. If some can afford to give refunds for the remaining minority portion of the season then fine but I have no problems with any that do not. I wouldn't want to claim a cent for my season pass. I want lift companies, hotels, huts, restaurants, etc. to continue to exist once all this is over.
latest report
@queenie pretty please, +1
snow report
I'd agree to the sentiment for smaller more caring lift companies. But CdA is a huge conglomerate who don't really care about their customers at all, just profit. They've been so bad here that the commune is terminating their contract 3 years early. I feel very comfortable claiming a refund.
snow report
@Claude B, Quite agree, apparently La Plagne and Les Arcs are used as cash cows for the whole of CdA not just the ski resorts! It came to a head 3 or 4 seasons ago when no lift modernisations were planned for LA or LP, around the same time as Chamonix decided they had enough and terminated them. Ifirc LP has a 30 year deal with around 10 to 12 years to run. The debacle over China and the Envers lift in LP has not gained them many friends.
snow report
Well I have used 35 days on my season pass which I consider more than adequate when it costs the equivalent of 14 days. I don't have a sense of entitlement about how much I use something that I have purchased. There's a far bigger picture here than quibbling about a few euros in refunds from businesses who are going to struggle as a result of this. Lift companies generally do not make much profit as there is a continuous cycle of reinvestment. If some can afford to give refunds for the remaining minority portion of the season then fine but I have no problems with any that do not. I wouldn't want to claim a cent for my season pass. I want lift companies, hotels, huts, restaurants, etc. to continue to exist once all this is over.

If they are smart lift cos would be offering early bird/ renewal discounts on next years passes now to keep up cashflow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Compagnie des Alpes, which owns the lift company in Les Arcs and many more of the major French ski resorts and other leisure destinations, has sales of approaching a billion Euros per year, nearly 500 million of which is from ski resorts. Earnings before tax for the last financial year was approaching 250 million Euros. If they want to offer a refund for a service not provided I'm quite happy to accept it.

On the the either hand I have upcoming tickets for three productions at the Young Vic theatre in London. This is a not-for-profit organisation which does a lot for their local community, especially for disadvantaged kids in Southwark, and operates on a shoestring and the generosity of benefactors. The first of those productions has already been cancelled, I think the other two will. Yesterday I declined to claim a refund the theatre offered for that first production, as I'll do for the other two when they are also cancelled. That's about £320 of disappointment for me, but for the Young Vic how their audience responds to those offers of refunds could mean the difference between surviving and not surviving.
snow report
It seems that Alpe d'Huez, or the lift company SATA, may be going to do something, as the following is on the website. To be honest I have had over 2 weeks use out of my season pass, which was less than 2 individual weekly passes anyway, so not complaining. Would be happy with whatever comes, bit irrelevant at the moment really Sad

Ski area closed / Covid-19
Following the French government new directives, the Alpe d’Huez resort and ski lifts are closed since march 15 and until further notice.

SATA will refund unused or part-used ski passes.

How to proceed:

– Unused or part-used holiday or day passes purchased directly at the sales desks, holidays purchased on-line, part-used. Go to skipass.alpedhuez.com, “Contact” tab from Friday 20 March. Select “on-line form”, then “COVID-19”. You will receive a confirmation e-mail within 24 hours. Please check your spam if you do not receive it.

– Unused holiday passes purchased on-line. Your pass will be refunded directly to your payment card; you do not have to take any action. These cases will be processed by 30 June at the latest.

– For all season, annual and 10-day passes, you will receive information via e-mail after 15 April.

In these exceptional circumstances, we are doing our very best to respond to your requests as quickly as possible.

We wish you all good health.
snow report
Shouldn't we get a refund for Ski a la Carte as well ? By my calculations about €6 or 7 depending on scheduled closing time of the resort Very Happy
snow report
Compagnie Des Alpes is also 70% owned by the French State. Their costs are 1) debt 2) electricity 3) operational maintenance and 4) staff. They are only incurring the first as they would have had resort closure costs at the end of the season in any event and most staff are on contracts < 6 months to avoid social taxes. So a refund of 50% pro-rata of the remaining part of the season would still leave them comfortably off.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, I think there may be a bit of a urban myth there. CdA operate the lifts as a concession subject to a contract with the local authority, in many places they also do the piste bashing and pisteur stuff. So in a sense they do as they are bid by that authority and the individual sites are part of a federated business that does not subsidise one or the other. In Tignes there is a set percentage of sales that have to be reinvested. The snow committee (Mairie, ski schools Regie des Pistes and STGM involved) decide what is built and where (this may be a simplification - but it was as described to me by a local councillor). Clearly as a lot of these concessions were granted in the 80s, so maybe some authorities were a bit more canny (just look at the variation in discounts across the sites - its not consistent). Also as resort management/marketing is not run by the lift company, the they are beholden to the success of the individual resorts skill at marketing at putting bums on seat (chairlifts). For example 2 or 3 years ago La Plagne launched a 10 point plan to attract more visitors (via Owners schemes to upgrade accom etc, appealing to international audiences (La P is very French orientated compared with others). This plan looked very similar to one launched in Tignes in 2007 by our very business focussed ( wink ) Monsieur Le Maire of that time. There is morein this document at Page 120 if you can't sleep!

https://www.compagniedesalpes.com/sites/default/files/rapport-financier-annuels/2019/cda_-_ddr_2018_-_version_anglaise_-_vdef.pdf
snow report
@22 dropout, Its actually 40% that Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations own - page 24 of the document above.

A significant minority of the staff are employed year round in Tignes, but the figures I have are in Tignes not York!
snow report
Thanks for the update. Here in Chamonix they are significantly contract because they can squeeze them into the Dec-May winter season without having to supply for glacier skiing.

We have been given the rules for refunds. If you haven't used the pass take it back to where you bought it. If you have an annual pass make a complaint on our website.

We'll see what transpires. There is less goodwill for the CdMB in recent years as calamitous loss of infrastructure has arisen from lack of adequate maintenance.
snow conditions
22 dropout wrote:
Thanks for the update. Here in Chamonix they are significantly contract because they can squeeze them into the Dec-May winter season without having to supply for glacier skiing.

We have been given the rules for refunds. If you haven't used the pass take it back to where you bought it. If you have an annual pass make a complaint on our website.

We'll see what transpires. There is less goodwill for the CdMB in recent years as calamitous loss of infrastructure has arisen from lack of adequate maintenance.

Has there been any official communication from CdMB about refunds? Specifically a pro rata season pass refund?!

Haven't gotten any email anyway.
ski holidays
bobhitch wrote:
re lift pass refund
I would venture that asking for a refund a prepaid lift pass that hasn't been used is a different thing to a season pass
I have several PDS season passes and have used them for 5 of 7 planned trips- still represents value for money imho
I think it is important to bear in mind the very real possibility of firms/hotels/any operator that operates in the ski industry (including lift companies) going out of business.
Even if I was 'entitled' to a refund I would rather avoid that than watch the lift company go bankrupt and have no skiing next season.

Totally agree, if we want our ski resorts, bars cafe and hire companies etc yo survive we all have to share a bit of the pain.
latest report
@robs1, Yes, agree. Maybe something like if you've skied 4 weeks or more on it then no refund, then a sliding scale down to 100% of pro rata ( about 25% ) if not used at all. So you'd get back about 12% if you'd only used it for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
PDS status, it says Avoriaz but i presume the same T&C's apply resort wide:
SKIPASSES REFUND
Following the early closure of our ski resort, we inform you about the skipasses refund conditions.

Unused skipasses will be fully refund
Used skipasses will be refunded depending on the number of unused days.
Season passes will not be refunded
Skipasses purchased on our website www.skipass-avoriaz.com will be automatically refunded on the bank account used for payment.

Skipasses bought at a lift desk must be the subject of a refund request via the contact form below: https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/en/contact-et-coordonnees?forcecache=1&cacheoid=_PCACHE%3Amq85krntzntr and attaching a copy of the receipt.

Refund requests must be sent before 04/19/2020 at the latest.
latest report
@rwilson, that is quite fair from Avoriaz / PDS. We bought our season passes for €495 and am not expecting a refund on the unused portions. I skied 26 days out of probably 40 days and less for my family. I think part of buying a season pass, and benefiting from a reduced daily rate, is the risk element of curtailment through injury, bad snow or other misfortune.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy